or more importantly, if they ever scrap OS5.0 and reinvent the wheel,

will they try to maintain compatibility with 'older' hardware by the time they release the new OS?

Chances are, they wont. And pushing then, the NEW hardware alongside with the NEW OS would be the best business route.

Sad scenario, but would be very much true.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-02-09 03:05 AM
    I do have a theory about the 2 tours. The tour was too far in development when the trackpad became available to be thrown in without causeing a delay in the launch of the product. Verizon would have had a fit as well as their customers. They could have added wifi at the beginning but they didn't, and I have no idea why. But they have announced that all units will have wifi from now on. That announcement again came too late to make it into the original Tour. That's just my W.A.G., or theory, if you will.

The vairous RIM models use different hardware configurations. To keep OS sizes small, each device has it's own OS. You shouldn't see code for a bold chipset in a storm and vice versa. A unified OS to cover several models would be too large and wasteful like Windows installing legacy modem drivers an a brand new PC.

I do agree they should work on something fresh and new as far as OSs go. But I think they will stick to what they know, and just add features to the current OS style like a webkit browser we will see next year, complete with flash support. Wheather that will be too little too late, nobody knows.
    09-02-09 03:23 AM
    I do have a theory about the 2 tours. The tour was too far in development when the trackpad became available to be thrown in without causeing a delay in the launch of the product. Verizon would have had a fit as well as their customers. They could have added wifi at the beginning but they didn't, and I have no idea why. But they have announced that all units will have wifi from now on. That announcement again came too late to make it into the original Tour. That's just my W.A.G., or theory, if you will.

The vairous RIM models use different hardware configurations. To keep OS sizes small, each device has it's own OS. You shouldn't see code for a bold chipset in a storm and vice versa. A unified OS to cover several models would be too large and wasteful like Windows installing legacy modem drivers an a brand new PC.

I do agree they should work on something fresh and new as far as OSs go. But I think they will stick to what they know, and just add features to the current OS style like a webkit browser we will see next year, complete with flash support. Wheather that will be too little too late, nobody knows.
    The only beef I have about your theory is that the trackpad was in the works
    since about May I think. I remember because Kevin had a blog about the 8520
    being in the works around that time and he mentioned the trackpad.
    09-02-09 12:18 PM
    The only beef I have about your theory is that the trackpad was in the works
    since about May I think. I remember because Kevin had a blog about the 8520
    being in the works around that time and he mentioned the trackpad.
    Even before then. The TP was going to be on the 8900. I to am sick of RIM cranking out a ton of different new gen devices. The last true BB next gen device was the 8900. Now we're getting nothing but 9000 and 8900 variants.
    09-02-09 12:23 PM
    Even before then. The TP was going to be on the 8900. I to am sick of RIM cranking out a ton of different new gen devices. The last true BB next gen device was the 8900. Now we're getting nothing but 9000 and 8900 variants.
    Hey, definitely agreed there.

I still have my BB 8800, and so far, apart from the Bold/8900, see no reason to upgrade beyond those two. The excitement is gone, unless RIM were to put out their Touchscreen+Keyboard BB, a la the Treo.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-02-09 04:11 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD