I'm just wondering if I'm the only one that's a little fed up and tired of all this hardware that RIM releases. What sparked the making of this thread was when I was shocked to see that RIM is coming out with a new Tour which from the looks of it only has two things that are new from the previous version: 1) Trackpad & 2) Wifi..... like what the hell?? If it's coming out that fast, couldn't this have been included from the beginning? I feel sorry for the Tour owners who barely even got to break in their new phones.

There are probably only a handful of actual models with versions under each model. I think it's about time RIM needs to start focusing on this damn OS and not just any OS but a unified OS. Really, RIM should only have 2 OS, one for the Storm and one for everything else. It's no wonder that so much random stuff happens on different phones, there are some many OS "builds" per model and version that it's mind boggling, there's no way for it to be effectively managed and utilized.

Come on RIM...new focus, we have enough hardware to build a house out of phones. Time for a new OS.
    09-01-09 05:07 PM
    I could not agree more and have said so many times in the past.

All the new devices are variations on a theme. I honestly think
    if RIM does not update this antiquated OS I may jump ship soon.

Almost every other platform does better than RIM in terms of innovation.
    I use a Nokia E71x for work and it smokes the BB from an OS
    standpoint.
    09-01-09 05:16 PM
    Everything has it's heyday. Maybe RIM's just passed
    09-01-09 05:20 PM
    Nah Sultan, I don't think so. What I do think is they are more
    interested in turning out new devices to increase their profits
    (nothing wrong with that) but Lord, do they not have a division
    that handles the OS. Must be the easiest job in the world.
    09-01-09 05:29 PM
    But you gotta think that if they don't change their business plan soon, they're gonna end up like Palm. That CAN'T be good.
    09-01-09 05:31 PM
    I'm so sick of it that I've already jumped ship. OS 5.0 doesn't look like it's
    going to be THAT much of an improvement.

I got myself an iPhone 3GS and I'm amazed at the smoothness of the OS. I
    can't quite put my finger on it (perhaps it's something intangible) but I am
    able to navigate much quicker and smoother. A few apps that I used on my
    Bold work much better on the iPhone (for me).

The releasing of devices has just gotten old for me. Doesn't mean I won't
    come back to Blackberry but right now the OS just stinks.
    09-01-09 05:31 PM
    I can't quite put my finger on it.
    Is that a clever pun Sir??
    09-01-09 05:34 PM
    But you gotta think that if they don't change their business plan soon, they're gonna end up like Palm. That CAN'T be good.
    Good point.

I'm so sick of it that I've already jumped ship. OS 5.0 doesn't look like it's
    going to be THAT much of an improvement.

I got myself an iPhone 3GS and I'm amazed at the smoothness of the OS. I
    can't quite put my finger on it (perhaps it's something intangible) but I am
    able to navigate much quicker and smoother. A few apps that I used on my
    Bold work much better on the iPhone (for me).

The releasing of devices has just gotten old for me. Doesn't mean I won't
    come back to Blackberry but right now the OS just stinks.
    Same here. 5.0 has some additional bells and whistle but it is essentially
    the same OS it always has been.

I would actually like to try an iPhone.
    09-01-09 05:38 PM
    Good point.

Same here. 5.0 has some additional bells and whistle but it is essentially
    the same OS it always has been.

I would actually like to try an iPhone.
    I tell you all that ever held me back was the fact that it's a touchscreen. So
    last Monday I went into an AT&T store, used one for a good half hour, asked
    some questions and ended up getting it since I essentially have 30 days to
    take it back. Within 2 hours I jailbroke the thing, installed "Backrounder" the
    program that allows multi-tasking and I couldn't be happier with the functionality.

I thought by now I'd want to be back to the Blackberry and I really have no
    desire to let this phone go. The typing isn't as bad as I thought it would be
    for my clumsy fingers and that's a big reason why I've kept it. Keep in mind,
    I have always hated touchscreens.
    09-01-09 05:46 PM
    Forever29, do you miss bbm? That's one of the only things holding me back from an iPhone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-09 07:51 PM
    Forever29, do you miss bbm? That's one of the only things holding me back from an iPhone.

I don't anymore. And my whole circle of friends use it and basically was the
    way I communicated with them on a daily basis. I don't miss it at all.
    09-01-09 07:59 PM
    So how do you prefer to communicate with them now?

09-01-09 08:01 PM
    So how do you prefer to communicate with them now?

SMS is pretty much the way. I like it better now that they don't know that
    I've read their message and didn't respond in a "timely fashion" like they
    would like. BBM started to become intrusive when it came to them.
    09-01-09 08:12 PM
    the sholes is calling my name.
    i agree, too much hardware.
    09-01-09 08:26 PM
    I could not agree more and have said so many times in the past.

All the new devices are variations on a theme. I honestly think
    if RIM does not update this antiquated OS I may jump ship soon.

Almost every other platform does better than RIM in terms of innovation.
    I use a Nokia E71x for work and it smokes the BB from an OS
    standpoint.
    I agree. See personally I would not have an issue with all these new devices getting churned out at an alarming rate IF and only IF they had their OS's perfected , and by that I mean mean being innovative and bug free, which is hardly the case for RIM.
    09-01-09 08:39 PM
    I agree. One reason I went and got the iPhone 3GS a few months ago was because I was tried of the BB OS, it's very outdated compared to the iPhone and even PalmPre. I really hope, and I can only assume, that RIM is working on an OS that is similar to a Windows type of system.

As long as RIM keeps its customization they will always be on top of other companies due to their business compatibility. I'm going to back to BB tomorrow and selling my iPhone 3GS...just can't get use to the short battery life and keyboard.
    09-01-09 08:51 PM
    I'm just wondering if I'm the only one that's a little fed up and tired of all this hardware that RIM releases. What sparked the making of this thread was when I was shocked to see that RIM is coming out with a new Tour which from the looks of it only has two things that are new from the previous version: 1) Trackpad & 2) Wifi..... like what the hell?? If it's coming out that fast, couldn't this have been included from the beginning? I feel sorry for the Tour owners who barely even got to break in their new phones.

There are probably only a handful of actual models with versions under each model. I think it's about time RIM needs to start focusing on this damn OS and not just any OS but a unified OS. Really, RIM should only have 2 OS, one for the Storm and one for everything else. It's no wonder that so much random stuff happens on different phones, there are some many OS "builds" per model and version that it's mind boggling, there's no way for it to be effectively managed and utilized.

Come on RIM...new focus, we have enough hardware to build a house out of phones. Time for a new OS.
    I started a similar thread and got flamed by a bunch of a-holes.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/ok...me-off-306173/

I couldn't agree with you more though. We need to see some continuity between devices. Maybe instead of launching a new model every time they come out with a new feature they could work towards more impressive refreshes every year or so.
    09-01-09 08:57 PM
    the sholes is calling my name.
    i agree, too much hardware.
    cant wait to see what the sholes does.. i believe this is the reason why vzw wants the storm2 released in oct...
    09-01-09 09:24 PM
    If you guys just read the forum boards, and what people are noticing in leaked 5.0 builds, you will realize RIM is doing something about it. Your "functional" OS will come. Chill
    09-01-09 09:34 PM
    If you guys just read the forum boards, and what people are noticing in leaked 5.0 builds, you will realize RIM is doing something about it. Your "functional" OS will come. Chill
    So I've heard but just as I posted on the front page blog about Facebook 1.7, leaked versions aren't final so the "official" release will have the final word on how performance is going to workout. Also, there will probably be 5+ different versions of OS 5.0 as well which shouldn't be the case. I really do hope RIM takes things up a notch.

@ tscharf - Sucks that you got flamed man, lol. Guess some people just can't handle opinions or the people who thought the same as you were sleeping or afk, heh.
    09-01-09 09:57 PM
    Within 2 hours I jailbroke the thing, installed "Backrounder" the
    program that allows multi-tasking and I couldn't be happier with the functionality.
    You do know that jailbreaking voids the warranty right?

09-01-09 11:25 PM
    You do know that jailbreaking voids the warranty right?

A jailbreak is easily gotten rid of with a restore. Simple as that.
    09-02-09 12:27 AM
    It's hardly anything. The whole OS overall is a Dinosaur and shouldn't take so
    long to be worked on.

It's easy for RIM to maintain the same OS because with each new device they
    get new Blackberry users who think their OS is something totally new.
    09-02-09 12:29 AM
    You know what happens when a company grows far to spread out with too many mediocre models right, can you say GM?

09-02-09 01:06 AM
    So, if RIM was to scrap development of OS 5.0 once it has been released and start working on a new one from strach up, How long would it take them?

How long after that would it take to iron out bugs that werent in 5.0?

How long would it be before users felt the OS to be normal to them with the same functions as the old one?
    09-02-09 02:20 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD