How could 40 years ago be too dreamy? If you're saying that Star Wars isn't real, that's just what your government wants you to think one day....
    But even Star Wars isn't immune from revisionist history.

Han shot first in that bar.
    01-26-22 11:12 AM
    So this forum is just people painting broad generalities about entire companies and devices having no "security" regardless of the security measures one takes and applications one installs?

You don't care to offer proof, cite studies or do anything other than call people ridiculous and defame entire companies?

You think that approach is worthy of respect?
    What are you specifically referring to?

Without personally being able to perform a forensic analysis of the chips used in all of the phones out there, I tend to fall back on country of manufacture (not necessarily assembly), and the acquiring of high level certifications like NIAP.

Unlike in any other country, Chinese companies are legally required to assist its government in data acquisition and espionage, so I see a Chinese device as an unnecessary exposure.

Samsung, Apple, and Google have passed rigorous NIAP certification for both hardware and software, so that is a massive confidence booster in my book.

The overlap area in the Venn diagram between NIAP-certified and non-Chinese provides dozens of fantastic devices to choose from (in all price segments), which is more than enough for me, and spares me of having to further my investigations.
    Last edited by conite; 01-26-22 at 02:01 PM.
    01-26-22 11:58 AM
    We joked about BB10 having Lithuanian support... so made me laugh when this came out a few months ago.

"Our recommendation is to not buy new Chinese phones, and to get rid of those already purchased as fast as reasonably possible," Lithuanian Deputy Defense Minister Margiris Abukevicius told reporters during the unveiling of the report from Lithuania's National Cyber Security Center
    I think the issues were more about content control than stealing data.

Everyone can do a search online, make up their own mind. We will never reach consensus here.
    01-26-22 01:56 PM
    But even Star Wars isn't immune from revisionist history.

Han shot first in that bar.
    LMAO
    01-26-22 06:20 PM
    So this forum is just people painting broad generalities about entire companies and devices having no "security" regardless of the security measures one takes and applications one installs?

You don't care to offer proof, cite studies or do anything other than call people ridiculous and defame entire companies?

You think that approach is worthy of respect?
    LOL - are you referring to anyone specifically or everyone poking holes into the idea that using BB was about security until it wasn't?
    01-26-22 06:26 PM
    LMAO
    That isn't a laughing matter...

BOT: Bottom line is at this point we aren't dealing with the BlackBerry Fanbase any more... they have by the millions all moved on, for many different reasons, including security. Most those that were corporate owned devices, and long been retired. Most those using BYOD on a corporate network... have long been forced off. Few might still get their email, but not real access to the network.
    01-27-22 09:28 AM
    We've had that discussion on another thread. Basically Google and the CCP are two sides of the same coin and Google has a far greater ability to influence my life in a negative way given its geographic proximity and its close collaboration with corrupt western governments. I'm not sure what is more significant... The passing into history of Blackberry devices, or the passing into history of the country that produced them.

That's why I would rather use a Unihertz phone than a Google phone.

I did give the pinephone a try, but it is underpowered and the software isn't ready for prime time.

There's just no point in being the last soldier of the imperial Japanese army on some remote pacific island pretending world war 2 is still going on in 1985.
    01-31-22 07:19 AM
    Google and the CCP are two sides of the same coin

corrupt western governments

the passing into history of the country (Canada) that produced them.

I would rather use a Unihertz phone than a Google phone.
    Just wanted to highlight the greatest hits.
    Last edited by conite; 01-31-22 at 08:03 AM.
    pdr733 and dmlis like this.
    01-31-22 07:33 AM
    Rumours of Canada's disappearance are...

Posted via CB10
    02-04-22 07:56 AM
    A long-standing point of faith was that one of the primary reasons to have a Blackberry was because of security.

If we follow the logic of many (but not all) of the hardcore:

1) Blackberry devices provide security

2) Security is important

3) People will pay more for secure devices

except.... we have now entered a period where many are hanging onto their insecure out of date old-timey devices. Some of these devices have not had security patches for years and people are even looking at breaking what security is left to keep elements of the devices working.

So, do they now agree that security is not a selling point and that's why they have not moved onto say a Pixel 6 with it modern and much stronger security infrastructure?
    Theres nothing insecure about a Blackberry except maybe the browser which is the ONLY attack vector.

Once you factor in the reduced target interest from hackers in these phones and the lack of any sort of LE/Israeli unlocking tool (both Apple and Android devices have these) and the fact no BB10 device has ever been rooted.... Im confident in saying a BB10 device is one of the most hardened devices on the (second hand) market.

Only a Google Pixel can even compete with the hardware level chip security imo.

Change my mind?
    03-04-22 06:18 AM
    The obsolete browser on bb10 creates the ultimate security in my opinion.

Even if that spam link is clicked on, nothing happens.
    Exactly.
    03-04-22 06:20 AM
    Theres nothing insecure about a Blackberry except maybe the browser which is the ONLY attack vector.

Once you factor in the reduced target interest from hackers in these phones and the lack of any sort of LE/Israeli unlocking tool (both Apple and Android devices have these) and the fact no BB10 device has ever been rooted.... Im confident in saying a BB10 device is one of the most hardened devices on the (second hand) market.

Change my mind?
    One of the Israeli companies does offer an extensive list of data that can be recovered on BB10 devices.... root isn't necessary to extract data.

Many of the vulnerabilities in BBOS weren't know... till a hacking group got hacked and their data made public.

BB10 was a tiny target... but it included US Senators, Prime Minsters and G6 member, so it might have been a bigger target than you want to think.

The base kernel, QNX has had a number of reported vulnerabilities since the days of BB10 development - it's know that some of these likely affect BB10 to one degree or another as well.

It's not just the Browser that uses older and less secure standard... BB10 HUB uses less secure email communications standard and features than the Android HUB, which is behind most other modern email clients. TEXTING on BB10 doesn't allow for more secure features of RCS - and many of the apps people are stuck using are less secure than the newer versions that are offered by their developers today.

Nothing really stays secure without development - and that includes development from hardware suppliers for drivers and firmware along, along with development of the base OS, and development on the part of Applications developers. I couldn't use OneDrive business account that include encryption with BB10's limited OneDrive support. Moving data securely is much more important that if a phone can be rooted - as you don't root a device without users and IT knowing it.

But I do think it's very unlikely there would be a huge risk to most folks still willing to use BB10, at this point. But if you were a public figure or a person of wealth, using BB10 would be a huge threat vector. Unlike a Knox powered Samsung phone, a Pixel 6 or an iPhone.... that under current development and receiving updates.
    03-04-22 10:54 AM

Change my mind?
    Nah, you've proved your point.

Nothing is more secure than passively sitting around, thinking you have it all figured out, while blindly using a BlackBerry device like a sheep.

Isn't dropping your guard one of the worst things in regards to personal cyber security?
    03-04-22 10:24 PM
    BBOS and BB10 while not secure are unlikely to be actively exploited due to so few users. I would guess an iPhone vulnerability is more likely to be discovered than some malicious actor actively targeting BBOS or BB10. But there is always a balance between usability and security and old BB fall shorter each passing year in the usability.
    03-05-22 06:27 AM
    One of the Israeli companies does offer an extensive list of data that can be recovered on BB10 devices.... root isn't necessary to extract data.
    I'd like to take a look at this. Could you provide a source for further reading?
    03-07-22 05:09 AM
90 ... 234