Software revenues are growing at double digits every quarter.

Priv STV100-1 AAF960 / Q5SQR100-1/10.3.3.746
    Agree fully.... BlackBerry as a company is probably going to be OK.

But then, not many of us are here for the software. CrackBerry is a hardware fan site...
    08-10-16 03:27 PM
    The sales aint there. The dilution of Blackberry brand continued, all the way to Android OS, thats long term damage right there.

A 'software company' on one, yes 1 major handset OS... hardly great stuff in almost 3 years.
    You realize software sales (non-handset related) showed very good organic growth this past quarter, right? Let's see how it looks this quarter, but I don't think you can say "sales ain't there." Apparently they are.
    08-10-16 03:27 PM

BlackBerry closed out fiscal 2016 with a fourth-quarter net loss of $238 million compared with a year-earlier profit of $28 million
    08-10-16 03:28 PM
    BlackBerry closed out fiscal 2016 with a fourth-quarter net loss of $238 million compared with a year-earlier profit of $28 million
    Yes. Hardware division is a drag on software.

08-10-16 03:30 PM
    You realize software sales (non-handset related) showed very good organic growth this past quarter, right? Let's see how it looks this quarter, but I don't think you can say "sales ain't there." Apparently they are.
    Well he wont have circa a 1/4 billion $ loss hopefully, he laid a lot of staff off because its them that waste money in'it.
    08-10-16 03:33 PM
    Yes. Hardware division is a drag on software.

Hardware is BB, go back its history...if you cant make HW work then you are not up to the job. 'we are a software company' selling Android HW - its all bipolar. Head of sales begging users to use their BB10 devices like they BB10 users are not being binned.

HW tie in made Blackberry what it was in everything, without it will take a decade plus to get anywhere.

NOTHING is consistent.

I loved BB products, now like many we are like WTF, how many years, how many CEO's how many mistakes.
    08-10-16 03:39 PM
    Well he wont have circa a 1/4 billion $ loss hopefully, he laid a lot of staff off because its them that waste money in'it.
    Yes, he's laid off many, many people. But that doesn't change the fact that their software business is both growing and profitable, does it?
    TgeekB, JeepBB and Adam Kowalczyk1 like this.
    08-10-16 03:43 PM
    Hardware is BB.
    BlackBerry would disagree.

Sure they wouldn't mind having a couple of devices to peddle to round out their BES offering, but it is a secondary objective.

With Android they at least have a chance to stay in the hardware game.
    JeepBB likes this.
    08-10-16 03:47 PM
    Yes, he's laid off many, many people. But that doesn't change the fact that their software business is both growing and profitable, does it?
    Half a billion loss is not profitable
    08-10-16 05:50 PM
    Look at the breakdown.
    08-10-16 05:53 PM
    Just quoting myself again, so you can read the bolded text:

I refer you to their most recent 10Q and the earnings call. If you want the overall company to be profitable now, then you're only making the case that they should drop hardware.
    08-10-16 05:57 PM
    BlackBerry would disagree.

Sure they wouldn't mind having a couple of devices to peddle to round out their BES offering, but it is a secondary objective.

With Android they at least have a chance to stay in the hardware game.
    No, Chen...not a CEO turning BB around, turning BB around to suit what experience he has, not the right man for the job. BB is hardware and software.

Apple iphone/Microsoft Nokia-Mobile/Google Nexus v Blackberry software apps ? Engineers are alot more to employ than produce a handset.

Chen is removing BB from BB to suit his past experience, software, proof he cannot sort hardware is almost 3 years of trying....because he has no experience of hardware.
    Skills should be transferable, one trick ponies cant.
    08-10-16 06:00 PM
    No, Chen...not a CEO turning BB around, turning BB around to suit what experience he has, not the right man for the job. BB is hardware and software.

Apple iphone/Microsoft Nokia-Mobile/Google Nexus v Blackberry software apps ? Engineers are alot more to employ than produce a handset.

Chen is removing BB from BB to suit his past experience, software, proof he cannot sort hardware is almost 3 years of trying....because he has no experience of hardware.
    Skills should be transferable, one trick ponies cant.
    No. Chen was hired specifically, by Prem and the board, to change the direction of BlackBerry towards software after the hardware division failed.
    TgeekB likes this.
    08-10-16 06:03 PM
    Just quoting myself again, so you can read the bolded text:

I refer you to their most recent 10Q and the earnings call. If you want the overall company to be profitable now, then you're only making the case that they should drop hardware.
    No a real CEO' would have done a job with BB hardware, nothing under Chen has had market wow'in, mediocre hardware. Less benefit BB10 OS just compounds hardware inexperience. You gotta get one right
    08-10-16 06:04 PM
    No. Chen was hired specifically, by Prem and the board, to change the direction of BlackBerry towards software after the hardware division failed.
    Hardware didnt fail, management did, look what other manufacturers gained with the right hardware with even a unsecure Android OS and still do...
    08-10-16 06:06 PM
    Hardware didnt fail, management did, look what other manufacturers gained with the right hardware with even a unsecure Android OS and still do...
    No other manufacturers succeeded after Apple and Android gained dominance in 2010. Their ecosystems were insurmountable.

Microsoft 0.7% market share after billions and billions spent.
    08-10-16 06:19 PM
    No a real CEO' would have done a job with BB hardware, nothing under Chen has had market wow'in, mediocre hardware. Less benefit BB10 OS just compounds hardware inexperience. You gotta get one right
    So you're saying Chen should go to work and do the the exact opposite of the job he was hired to do?
    Cashgap likes this.
    08-10-16 06:42 PM
    He has managed to put together a powerful software lineup with BES/Good Dynamics, AtHoc, SecureSmart, and WatchDox. Not to mention HUB+.

He just bought it because they couldn't do it in house.
    08-10-16 07:33 PM

They are buying the growth in software revenue. I will wait until they stop buying software companies and see what revenue does then. Right now you can't compare software revenue growth with it mostly comes from purchased companies. I will also wait to see what they can develop in house and not have to purchase before I consider them successful as a software company. A lot of the big headlines are with the companies they purchased.
    08-10-16 07:37 PM
    They are buying the growth in software revenue. I will wait until they stop buying software companies and see what revenue does then. Right now you can't compare software revenue growth with it mostly comes from purchased companies. I will also wait to see what they can develop in house and not have to purchase before I consider them successful as a software company. A lot of the big headlines are with the companies they purchased.
    The last quarter report had no new acquisitions. So the growth reported there was actually organic growth.

Granted that was just one quarter. We certainly need to see it again this quarter. But there is at least one very positive sign that they are seeing real organic growth there.
    08-10-16 07:40 PM
    He just bought it because they couldn't do it in house.
    So? That's a legitimate way to build a software portfolio. They have acquired some great developers in the process. BlackBerry could very well have lacked some capability there, which was solved by the acquisitions.
    08-10-16 07:42 PM
    So? That's a legitimate way to build a software portfolio. They have acquired some great developers in the process. BlackBerry could very well have lacked some capability there, which was solved by the acquisitions.
    How do you know they got great developers? What new products have been developed with the old or new developers? But don't state that everything is great and they are making revenue growth when most of it has been from software they purchased. Nothing has shown that Chen knows how to run a software company. I will wait for three or four quarters with no company purchases to see if revenue is real and what new products they have come up with. So far, nothing has impressed me.
    08-10-16 09:36 PM
    No other manufacturers succeeded after Apple and Android gained dominance in 2010. Their ecosystems were insurmountable.
    As was BBOS "i know, lets get rid of it"
    08-11-16 09:08 AM
    As was BBOS "i know, lets get rid of it"
    Customers were leaving in droves, and BBOS was already pushed beyond its capabilities. It was done.
    TgeekB likes this.
    08-11-16 09:12 AM
74 123