Yes, BBM had exactly that importance at one time - but it was squandered by the very person who helped to create it (Mike L). Jim at least understood what BBM could have been, but unfortunately, Jim embarrassed the company with the stock option scandal and the board backed Mike. That's probably the biggest knife through BB's heart right there, because Mike was already badly out-of-touch.
    06-08-16 10:32 PM
    Well it's true, top chart on Playstore in Indonesia.

Attachment 400654

A little surprised for me, only Indonesia people using BBM, how about other countries
    Nigeria

Posted via CB10
    06-09-16 03:37 AM
    Whatsapp not only replaced text messaging but it has also replaced some emails now and that's work emails. Some people don't send me emails now and just say "I'll Whatsapp it to you". Whatsapp is global, fast and dependable way of communication. In commodities trade business, not having Whatsapp would mean losing on deals. Whoever hates or hates on Whatsapp, you don't know what you are missing. Nothing else even comes close here.

Posted via CB10
    As I said on other threads. I don't know a single person who uses Whatsapp and there is nothing that I need. Email and texting is all I need. And I am not giving them my phone number and contact list.
    sonicpix likes this.
    06-09-16 06:03 AM
    As I said on other threads. I don't know a single person who uses Whatsapp and there is nothing that I need. Email and texting is all I need. And I am not giving them my phone number and contact list.
    Well you have to use Whatsapp to see people use it! Obviously if you don't have the app installed, you won't see if other people use it
    06-09-16 06:35 AM
    Based on the reports the vast majority of the earth's population is just like you... they don't use Whatsapp either. So the 1 Billion people that do use Whatsapp on a monthly basis are totally irrelevant.

There was a time in my little corner of the US when you had to have a push-to-talk phone, this changed to you had to have a BlackBerry with BBM... Now today in my market, IM isn't all that big of a thing... calls are free to just about anyone in my market, and texting is free. But there are many places in the world where this isn't the case, and there are many people that need to communicate with people in other markets.. all around the world. And for many young people in school, it much easier to create a group and use an app like Whatsapp to communicate with one another for both school purposes or just for fun. Than it is for us older folks that just communicate for work.
    neoberry99 likes this.
    06-09-16 08:16 AM
    Well you have to use Whatsapp to see people use it! Obviously if you don't have the app installed, you won't see if other people use it
    They fact that people can see if I use it or not just shows I made the right decision in not using it. But I know my friends and family and co-worker and not one of them uses Whatsapp. They just text.
    06-09-16 10:29 AM
    I've never seen a company screw up things so many times.

Posted via CB10
    techvisor, JeepBB and Orange UK like this.
    06-09-16 10:37 AM
    I've never seen a company screw up things so many times.

Posted via CB10
    New Coke in 1985 comes to mind. Had a product that was very popular and just went and changed it, thinking everyone would simply accept the new product. Sales plummeted until Coke brought back the original recipe. In fact sales were actually better than befroe the change up.

Similar to what BlackBerry did with their existing smartphone userbase... just expected them to make the change. Maybe if BlackBerry brought back BBOS.....
    JeepBB, nizwilson and Orange UK like this.
    06-09-16 10:57 AM
    New Coke in 1985 comes to mind. Had a product that was very popular and just went and changed it, thinking everyone would simply accept the new product. Sales plummeted until Coke brought back the original recipe. In fact sales were actually better than befroe the change up.

Similar to what BlackBerry did with their existing smartphone userbase... just expected them to make the change. Maybe if BlackBerry brought back BBOS.....
    i can totally picture this. We'll call it the BlackBerry Classic!

Oh wait...
    06-09-16 11:02 AM

Oh wait...
    And then put it to sleep?

 Passport/SQW100-3 .2876 CB10 
    07-06-16 08:00 PM
    I tried to get a friend to use BBM and he was a Waterloo native and used to have a BlackBerry. He downloaded it onto his iPhone but it couldn't retrieve his old BBM contacts or connect to people he knew that used BlackBerry so he didn't continue the effort.

I guess the big thing back then was saving on texts but those are now unlimited with most if not all phone plans... not to mention all the other competitors

Sigh
    07-13-16 06:55 PM
    This points out that they didn't plan well and don't have the right developers to do the job. They just don't understand how to write software. They take too long to implement features. None of this bodes well for them to be a cross platform software services company. I wouldn't buy anything from them. I suffered through the BES10->BES12->BES12.1->BES12.2 debacle. It was the most annoying and cumbersome process for each upgrade. Again a sign of poor execution. Does anyone there every thing about how to develop and release anything?

I don't know of a single product that they didn't screw up the release and even good products like Blend were not marketed well.
    Blend was a killer app from day one. Nobody but nobody knows it exists. Microsoft plays up its software where you can run your whole phone like a PC but it's not as useful as Blend -- released three years ago.

The programmers were probably the ones fired.

Posted via CB10
    07-14-16 01:42 AM
    Well it's true, top chart on Playstore in Indonesia.

A little surprised for me, only Indonesia people using BBM, how about other countries
    Indonesia has a massive population, being 4th in the world behind China, India and the USA. Nigeria ranks 7th. These are not small markets to disregard and commanding them can be significant. Story remains the same though - likely BBOS, and likely because iPhones and Galaxys are too expensive for the average consumer.
    alludba likes this.
    07-25-16 05:00 PM

It is its only hope, BBOS8 on even a Playbook would have been better than shafting loyal PB owners when BB knew 1G was not going to cut the mustard running BB10, giving BB0S9 with calling capabilities to the latter 4G/LTE PB's.
    08-08-16 10:04 PM

Oh wait...
    All BB10/Android devices should be OS7 backwards compatible - then end users show BB where THEY the consumer want it to go.
    08-08-16 10:06 PM
    Indonesia has a massive population, being 4th in the world behind China, India and the USA. Nigeria ranks 7th. These are not small markets to disregard and commanding them can be significant. Story remains the same though - likely BBOS, and likely because iPhones and Galaxys are too expensive for the average consumer.
    And thus its not a market to sustain BB losses on its long ongoing bad business decisions.
    08-08-16 10:08 PM
    It is its only hope, BBOS8 on even a Playbook would have been better than shafting loyal PB owners when BB knew 1G was not going to cut the mustard running BB10, giving BB0S9 with calling capabilities to the latter 4G/LTE PB's.
    The thing is, no one imagined that BB10 would not be able to function on 1GB of RAM... even the Alpha "Z10" were only 1GB the summer befroe BB10's launch.

QNX on it's own would have had no problem with 1GB or even less.... but when they spliced the Runtime in and when they spliced the "email/blackberry stuff" in. BB10 became a monster....

It's also why the Z10's battery became an issue... BB10 had become a monster that BlackBerry's software experience was just not able to tame. So RAM requirements had to grow and sadly a 1800mAh battery became a design flaw.

And BlackBerry was left with the choice of either killing support for the PlayBook or spending time and money to streamline BB10 to a point where the PlayBook could use it...
    08-09-16 07:18 AM
    Clearly, Blackberry has and continues to launch new products in what appears to be a insulated bubble. As others have said, they launch a half-baked product which then poisons the future potential market.

How can products be released with a significant number of current market features nonexistent or "pending" ? Don't they do competitive research to validate the value proposition prior to the approval to begin development or launch ? Can't they go out and buy competitive product to function test against ?

It's like a weatherman's predictions who never goes outside !
    08-10-16 11:11 AM
    The thing is, no one imagined that BB10 would not be able to function on 1GB of RAM... even the Alpha "Z10" were only 1GB the summer befroe BB10's launch.

QNX on it's own would have had no problem with 1GB or even less.... but when they spliced the Runtime in and when they spliced the "email/blackberry stuff" in. BB10 became a monster....

It's also why the Z10's battery became an issue... BB10 had become a monster that BlackBerry's software experience was just not able to tame. So RAM requirements had to grow and sadly a 1800mAh battery became a design flaw.

And BlackBerry was left with the choice of either killing support for the PlayBook or spending time and money to streamline BB10 to a point where the PlayBook could use it...
    They killed off PB then BB10, what in 3 years has Chen managed to do ? cut cash loss, thats easy...boost sales like a good CEO no.

Blackberry the worlds most secure ANDROID...fools.
    08-10-16 01:58 PM
    They killed off PB then BB10, what in 3 years has Chen managed to do ? cut cash loss, thats easy...boost sales like a good CEO no.

No cutting the burn that BlackBerry was experience in 2013.... wasn't really all that easy (almost $6 BILLION) was lost that year befroe Chen came along.

Was Chen hired to save BlackBerry hardware or even BBM? Or was he hired to save the company that was in free fall?

I would say he has done what he was hired to do.. in another year or so most will forget about BlackBerry hardware and will focus on growing revenues and profits and shareholders will be happy.
    08-10-16 02:12 PM
    Quite so, I believe. One of them (Telkomsel) set the monthly BIS package at about $5 and daily at $0.26. Is this expensive according to you?

I never have legacy device before. My first BB was the OG Passport, over a year ago. Since then I've the Z10, the Q10, and now I'm rocking a Z30.
    Yes, I would say at $0.26 per day is expensive in Indonesia based on the earning capacity of an Indonesian. It's probably an equivalent of say $2.00 per day for BIS in the USA. Would you pay say $2.00 per day to use BIS if you're an American?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-10-16 02:39 PM

There will be less apps in BBOS than BlackBerry 10. There will be no ecosystem & definitely no chance of having one too. Do you think it will succeed?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-10-16 02:44 PM

He has managed to put together a powerful software lineup with BES/Good Dynamics, AtHoc, SecureSmart, and WatchDox. Not to mention HUB+.

Priv STV100-1 AAF960 / Q5SQR100-1/10.3.3.746
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    08-10-16 02:49 PM
    He has managed to put together a powerful software lineup with BES/Good Dynamics, AtHoc, SecureSmart, and WatchDox. Not to mention HUB+.

The sales aint there. The dilution of Blackberry brand continued, all the way to Android OS, thats long term damage right there.

A 'software company' on one, yes 1 major handset OS... hardly great stuff in almost 3 years.

Still BIS contributes greatly to BB running costs. How many years after support ended?

I'll give credit, when and where due...but circa 3 years in its all lacklustre, no wonder he was in his old job so long...it took that long. The markets change by seconds not a decade the Chen way. 7 further years is long tīme to wait for shareholders.
    08-10-16 03:12 PM
    The sales aint there.
    Software revenues are growing at double digits every quarter.

08-10-16 03:14 PM
74 123