just installed AW 2.0. saw the barcode scanner option on the menu. ok...so I choose it and hold it near a barcode on a product. doesn't do squat--just periodically turns on the flash and the image sharpens for a moment and then it "rinses and repeats". WTH is this function for?
    08-20-10 01:02 AM
    Try turning your video camera light off of default on. That should fix it
    08-20-10 01:04 AM
    thanks, but I tried that. no luck. I scanned at least 5 different common household products. the image sharpens up for a moment, then blurry, sharp again...over and over
    08-20-10 01:24 AM
    Dooooh.....it's not for scanning household products. It's for app/theme/etc things being advertised in print. then you can use the scanner function to go the item in appworld (if it is for sale in appworld).

At least I think that's what it is supposed to do.
    08-20-10 08:50 AM
    Dooooh.....it's not for scanning household products. It's for app/theme/etc things being advertised in print. then you can use the scanner function to go the item in appworld (if it is for sale in appworld).

correct! It is a scanner for app store apps only.
    08-20-10 09:04 AM

That's correct, with App World 2.0 you can now scan a barcode that's associated with a particular app (in app world of course) and it will take you directly to it. Try scanning this one:

See?

I anticipate that with RIM pushing the BBM barcode scanning ability, you'll see more app advertisements that have barcodes associated with them, that way if you see an ad for an app that you think looks cool, you can simply scan the barcode to be taken directly to that app, instead of having to search for it. Pretty slick, I believe Android offers something similar to this as well, but not 100% sure.
    08-20-10 09:08 AM
    correct! It is a scanner for app store apps only.
    i was afraid of that! darn it! never had any luck with edocrab so was hoping that appworld had a full-fledged bar code reader, as a PERK!
    08-20-10 09:32 AM
    That's correct, with App World 2.0 you can now scan a barcode that's associated with a particular app (in app world of course) and it will take you directly to it. Try scanning this one:

See?

I anticipate that with RIM pushing the BBM barcode scanning ability, you'll see more app advertisements that have barcodes associated with them, that way if you see an ad for an app that you think looks cool, you can simply scan the barcode to be taken directly to that app, instead of having to search for it. Pretty slick, I believe Android offers something similar to this as well, but not 100% sure.
    ah, yup! took me to the eBay app! preciate the example!
    08-20-10 09:33 AM
    i was afraid of that! darn it! never had any luck with edocrab so was hoping that appworld had a full-fledged bar code reader, as a PERK!
    ScanLife will read some household barcodes. It doesn't work all the time by any means, but I was able to scan the code off of some books and read reviews on them. That was nifty. I also scanned my Dr Pepper bottle and it googled Dr Pepper for me.

ScanLife is kind of hit or miss, though. But it's an option.
    08-20-10 09:36 AM
    ScanLife will read some household barcodes. It doesn't work all the time by any means, but I was able to scan the code off of some books and read reviews on them. That was nifty. I also scanned my Dr Pepper bottle and it googled Dr Pepper for me.

downloading...will check it out (I don't like having to log into appworld each time, just to get a free app. any way around that?)
    08-20-10 09:40 AM

holy batman! It WORKED! thanks! first barcode scanner app I've ever gotten to actually return a result! awesome. u are "the man".
    08-20-10 09:42 AM
    holy batman! It WORKED! thanks! first barcode scanner app I've ever gotten to actually return a result! awesome. u are "the man".
    Thanks! Except I am, in fact, a chick.

Enjoy it. Like I said, it's kind of hit or miss, but it does work on some things.
    08-20-10 09:52 AM
    Thanks! Except I am, in fact, a chick.

Enjoy it. Like I said, it's kind of hit or miss, but it does work on some things.
    oops!! sorry 'bout that! how about "you rock!"
    08-20-10 09:56 AM
    downloading...will check it out (I don't like having to log into appworld each time, just to get a free app. any way around that?)
    Unfortunately, no, it requires that you log in each time to do so. According to this:
    BlackBerry App World: Everything you wanted to know and weren�€™t afraid to ask (Part Three) � Inside BlackBerry - Inside BlackBerry – The Official BlackBerry Blog
    "You’re requested to log in with your BlackBerry ID for each download to ensure that it’s actually you who is downloading or purchasing an app. We’re extremely concerned about your data security and privacy!"
    08-20-10 10:34 AM
    yup, they are concerned with my security--just not my convenience. thx for the info.
    08-20-10 10:53 AM
    I find the QR bar codes work less than 50% of the time when I try to scan with my Blackberry camera!! I have used the Microsoft Tags and its scanner, which seem to be in more and more magazine, and its scanner...always works like a charm!! They should have used Micro Soft tags for this purpose they are way better.
    08-20-10 10:56 AM
    I find the QR bar codes work less than 50% of the time when I try to scan with my Blackberry camera!! I have used the Microsoft Tags and its scanner, which seem to be in more and more magazine, and its scanner...always works like a charm!! They should have used Micro Soft tags for this purpose they are way better.
    I've got to make a run to Target shortly. I'll give the Scanlife app a little workout there.
    08-20-10 10:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD