11-09-09 01:02 AM
31 12
tools
    so i was talking to the at&t guy last night when i was at the store an he said that bb will be making a program so u can save apps to media card. he said there gonna start doin this cuz ppl buy apps and then buy new phones and they are losing there apps. im not sure when its gonna come out and he sai i really shouldnt be telling u this so....i dunno it might come out and it might not. has anyone ever heard of this app commin out????
    09-10-09 01:08 PM
    could have sworn the new appworld let you do this
    09-10-09 01:19 PM
    From what I remember you are now allowed to store apps on your media card, but you can't run them from the media card. You have to first move the app to the phone and then you can run it.

I may be wrong, but I think that is the way it works.
    09-10-09 01:29 PM
    yup, plus you have to reboot everytime you move it back and forth, so its only for long term storage really, not so you can move it for an afternoon (well you could, it would just get to be really annoying.)
    09-10-09 01:34 PM
    any plans in the works to have them run off your card?
    09-10-09 01:37 PM
    any plans in the works to have them run off your card?
    No according to RIM it's not ever going to happen.
    09-10-09 01:58 PM
    That's one reason I've been using my nokia e71 more and more, limitless app storage really. And no more battery pulls

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-10-09 09:47 PM
    That's one reason I've been using my nokia e71 more and more, limitless app storage really. And no more battery pulls

Its perfectly healthy to perform battery pulls on any type of cell phone, unless that phone doesn't permit you to do a battery pull. When you call tech support they will advise you to pull the battery to see if that will resolve the issue you were experiencing.

If you are going to flood your BB with apps then yeah it might be a good idea, what happens when your memory card fails?

In my case I have 15 apps that I use on a daily basis, I have 48MB of file free left. Having to goto your memory card to transfer the app to device storage to permit to work then re boot and what not just seems like a hand full for me.

Not to mention you will have to update tons more apps manually which in its self is tedious. I'm happy with the whole device app management system, I'm quite good at managing my memory so there is no issues for my BB.

My memory card is used mainly for pictures and .txt files.

Thnx, Tripster

Last edited by Tripster; 09-11-09 at 01:48 AM.
    09-11-09 01:26 AM
    But for those of us using arcane 8320 and have deleted a ton of stuff to get the most memory and still have just under 24k at startup, this would be a nice feature. I'm just not counting on it ever happening. I will get a better bb someday.

09-11-09 06:09 AM
    the guy said u can store and run them off the media card and u can take the media card out of the phone and put it in another bb and still have your apps. i hope it comes out. ive been waiting for this for 2yrs now.
    09-11-09 03:47 PM
    I hope the guy's right. I'd love that.
    09-11-09 04:05 PM
    It's a security issue. that's why Rim's native apps store a majority of their data on the phones memory. The phone memory is always secure, it's part of the processor. Still, using SD media and a secured password (stored in phone memory) should give a comparable level of security.

Wonder if it's a processor limitation
    09-11-09 04:12 PM
    well if they where to do that it would be cool but i think it to prevent bootlegging the apps that why they have not done this yet! until they find a way for they to block multi transfer for card to card i dont think they would let people run apps off the mem card
    well i wish they would at least let you save it to the on board extended memory
    one of these days it will happen until then we all gota wait!!!!!!!
    09-11-09 04:16 PM
    well if they where to do that it would be cool but i think it to prevent bootlegging the apps that why they have not done this yet! until they find a way for they to block multi transfer for card to card i dont think they would let people run apps off the mem card

Well most developers that sell apps lock it to the PIN number of the phone. That prevents bootlegging the program in the first place.. The apps that i have purchase all require a pin number to register the application, so the unlock code will only work on the berry that has that pin that's registered..
    09-11-09 05:04 PM
    Its perfectly healthy to perform battery pulls on any type of cell phone, unless that phone doesn't permit you to do a battery pull. When you call tech support they will advise you to pull the battery to see if that will resolve the issue you were experiencing.

If you are going to flood your BB with apps then yeah it might be a good idea, what happens when your memory card fails?

In my case I have 15 apps that I use on a daily basis, I have 48MB of file free left. Having to goto your memory card to transfer the app to device storage to permit to work then re boot and what not just seems like a hand full for me.

Not to mention you will have to update tons more apps manually which in its self is tedious. I'm happy with the whole device app management system, I'm quite good at managing my memory so there is no issues for my BB.

My memory card is used mainly for pictures and .txt files.

Thnx, Tripster

Didn't mean to hurt your feelings. Nokia can store and run apps directly from the media card, it's a better system. Do I still use my Berry, certainly. But for apps, I prefer my Nokia.
    09-11-09 05:57 PM
    Didn't mean to hurt your feelings. Nokia can store and run apps directly from the media card, it's a better system. Do I still use my Berry, certainly. But for apps, I prefer my Nokia.
    Why do people always think they have hurt my feelings? My eFeelings do not exist, also when someone quotes you on what their opinion is, don't take it as a bash/flame.

I never said anything about you using your nokia, you are heading into the future to much and not paying full attention to my post. Rather you are focusing on your intent to try to make it look like your nokia is the ultimate app phone out there.

This thread isn't about nokia's or other phones, you went way off topic.

Thnx, Tripster

09-11-09 06:49 PM
    And here I thought there has been a 3rd party app for this for a long time. I doubt this is considered "new" news.
    09-11-09 08:59 PM
    the guy said u can store and run them off the media card and u can take the media card out of the phone and put it in another bb and still have your apps. i hope it comes out. ive been waiting for this for 2yrs now.
    OK...please help. I just got Curve. I think I have gotten rid of everything I can...all the I'm apps, bb maps, etc. I have minimal apps: google maps, mobile checkbook, wallet, mobipocket (books are on mem card), and google sync. I only have 13mb of memory. HELP!

09-12-09 02:28 PM
    Only a handful of apps use the pin to lock it. Bootlegging is huge. There are sites that you can get any retail game you want. Same with a lot of Mobihands stuff like MeterBerry just to name a few. Sadly it's somthing that will never end. It's just like here on Crackberry people bootleg illegaly I might add movies on this site daily. There are tons of threads with full movie downloads which is highly illegal. Suprised CBerry hasn't been contacted by law inforcment honestly.
    09-12-09 03:14 PM
    battery pull.
    09-12-09 03:25 PM
    I dont think it will ever happen, plus if its from a rep some of them hear rumors and think its real. If rim says something then ill take it with some meaning
    09-12-09 06:20 PM
    OK...please help. I just got Curve. I think I have gotten rid of everything I can...all the I'm apps, bb maps, etc. I have minimal apps: google maps, mobile checkbook, wallet, mobipocket (books are on mem card), and google sync. I only have 13mb of memory. HELP!
    Three search terms to help you.

Crackmem
    Maxmem
    Shrink-a-OS

OK, and a thread http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/new...-users-313399/
    09-13-09 11:00 AM
    Both Maxmem and Shrink-a-OS look promising. Anyone used these or have anything to say about them?
    Also, it looks like for Shrink-a-OS you need to have the OS installed on your PC. I really do not want to mess around with that. I want to be able to get do everything on-phone.
    Last edited by cem1701; 09-13-09 at 01:23 PM.
    09-13-09 01:21 PM
    I used shrink-a-OS and it work great it still dont take the place if I could store my apps on an SD card. But I backed up all my apps before I shrank the OS
    09-13-09 09:44 PM
    I don't see the need to run apps off the memory card they should just give every bb at least 5 gig internal mem

09-13-09 10:05 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD