I'm wondering how easy/hard it is for BB to get full-blown applications. Not these measly little apps we have on our phones now.

I mean PC games, video-editing software like adobe premiere, audio software like nuendo. Spec wise it looks like we are getting closer and obviously sooner than latter our phones will be on bare with many current laptop/lower end desktop specs. But what programming, compatability factors are we facing here? To all the tech-pros, what needs to happen for me to get this type of software loaded onto a BB10 device eventually/now? I get screen size is a big issue but looking past that and with the fact you can buy a 2 dollar hdmi cable to hook up to your TV what are the chances are when does this happen?
    04-28-13 09:13 PM
    Today's smartphones have as much power as computers 5 years ago. But nearly all applications are dependent on tons of libraries that aren't available (yet) on smartphones and would have to be ported as well. For example, take a 3D editor like Blender. Its dependencies include: libxi-dev, libsndfile1-dev, libopenexr-dev, libopenjpeg-dev, libpng12-dev, libjpeg-dev libopenal-dev, libalut-dev, python3.2-dev, libglu1-mesa-dev, libsdl-dev, libfreetype6-dev, libtiff4-dev, libavdevice-dev, libavformat-dev, libavutil-dev, libavcodec-dev, libswscale-dev, libx264-dev, libxvidcore4-dev, libmp3lame-dev, libspnav-dev, python-3.3.

To build Blender for a mobile platform, someone would have to port all those libraries as well. Some would be easy, some hard.

Another thing would be that the platform API. I think iPhone and Android are doing pretty well in that regard, and there are some mini versions of programs that are available for mobile devices (AutoCAD and Photoshop come to mind). BB 10 is severely lacking with regards to the features that developers can access, although it's getting better. And some programs use platform-specific features rather than standard features, which would be a pretty major setback.

You would also have some battery issues - video editors take a lot of processing power and memory, and would really hurt battery life. Of course, if you're hooked up to a TV you might as well have your phone plugged in at the same time.

A non-technical issue would be pricing. Adobe can charge $1,000 plus for Premier, would they really want to spend their money on mobile platform where the average app price is $2? And nobody really wants to spend more than that for a smartphone app. I think this would be the biggest issue. Plus, there's no way they would give 30% of their profit to an app store vendor.

I think there might be some apps that are specifically made for mobile, because there's definitely the capability. But I think there will always be a market for desktop computers that are super-powerful and have huge screens. Right now desktop programs are going towards GPU computing to get even better performance. Recent versions of Photoshop running on a fast computer with a couple Radeon 7970s? No equal. And GPUs on mobile devices aren't nearly that powerful. Yet anyway.

That's my opinion.
    suprmanx7, JR A and richardat like this.
    04-28-13 10:32 PM
    Do you have multiple personalities or something???

I apologize to the people who get upset about my views on HTML5. I know you have a lot invested into your apps and your app-focused systems. Its just the reality is for the average user in the world, apps just don't mean that much. This even goes for people in North America. Talk to enough people and you'll realize that these apps you love so much, and just how deeply integrated, or whatever snazy things they do, just don't matter to the average user. Every single Q10 sale will be a testament to that. I'll agree, its great what native apps can do, and they have their benefits, but you are in the minority. You just don't realise it. Every single forum member here is in the minority and not even close to representative of the average NA user. People fail to realise this and project their views/values onto others.
    BlackBerry Guy and richardat like this.
    04-28-13 10:41 PM
    Having full blown PC applications are not user friendly with the input devices (touch screens, track pads, etc) and screen sizes on phones. Plus the hit to the battery would make the applications not worth it. These "measly little apps we have on our phones" are user friendly, light weight, and meant to be used under the assumption you're on the go and aren't doing hours of intensive work. It's true that modern phones could probably run these photo/video editing applications (and much more), but the audience for applications that would require you to plug your phone into a monitor/TV (via HDMI) and a secondary input (mouse, wacom, keyboard, etc) is seemingly not large enough to support the development.
    04-29-13 03:56 AM