Recently I canceled my data service since I have wifi at home and work and I wasn't using it anywhere else.

I have a nice router at home that serves my computers just fine. My wife's iPhone connected right away and she hasn't had any problems using it.

My 9000 says that it connects, and it shows the right status, but none of the applications can go online. They all worked flawlessly on the data service, but now they time out, or give different errors. I set all the permissions to "allow" that I could think of, and I deleted and recreated the network profile, but with no success.

I am trying to use the blackberry browser and opera mini to start with. What is wrong?
    07-06-09 11:31 AM
    Not all apps are setup to use WiFi and require a data plan. See this thread:
    forums.crackberry.com/f83/can-t-get-apps-use-wifi-260432
    07-06-09 11:38 AM
    07-06-09 12:36 PM
    Recently I canceled my data service

They all worked flawlessly on the data service, but now they time out, or give different errors.

I am trying to use the blackberry browser and opera mini to start with. What is wrong?
    You answered your own question. Some applications require a dada plan even if they are wifi enabled.
    07-06-09 12:55 PM
    You know I have the same problem I have a Blackberry Bold 9000 that I got last Christmas.

I got this phone mainly because it had "wifi" and AT&T does not require you to have data plans with blackberries unlike the Iphone which does require data plans.

I have a big beef with them advertising that these phones have WIFI and then when you go to use the WIFI without a data plan which is a completely separate entity it does not work.

I would love to call them out on this and start a petition and send it to the New York State Attorney generals office on the false claims of these products. Unfortunately the public is so uneducated that they just take the data plans and pay the bills and continue to get screwed.

On a side note I did manage to get a third party email application called tiggit which I paid for ($30 one time fee) to get email via wifi. It gets the job done but its not always consistent.

Its very disappointing to go out and buy phones worth $500 and then they don't do half the things they are supposed to. I mean I can't even access facebook or aim via WIFI because it requires a data plan. Something is seriously wrong with that!
    benxedikt likes this.
    08-22-09 02:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD