Is there a way to find out the size of each individual application loaded onto a BB? I'd like to delete the larger programs I rarely use but, if they're not too big, I'll leave them on.
    09-12-08 07:47 AM
    hook up the device to your computer and open up desktop manager.
    09-12-08 09:32 AM
    hook up the device to your computer and open up desktop manager.
    Thanks oakie. Is there a way to do it from the BB?
    09-12-08 10:40 AM
    Options->Status>(menu) Database Sizes but that only shows the stock files (no 3rd-party apps or their dbs).

The only way I know to get those is slow and painful via Options->Advanced Options->Applications->(menu) Modules->(menu) View Properties for each one. Remember that each app can have multiple modules, so it's "slow and painful".
    09-12-08 10:52 AM
    I have done some reseach into that, you can find the results posted in this thread.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/
    09-12-08 11:42 AM
    Thanks Reed - I should've posted that. That's a great set of articles which I've used many times as reference.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-12-08 12:01 PM
    Thanks for all of the input.
    09-12-08 12:08 PM
    I have done some reseach into that, you can find the results posted in this thread.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/
    Reed - slightly different question. AppLoader will show the size of each app, but I believe that's only the total size of the executable files (application and library types). For an app like Pocket Express or Viigo which also store data (RSS articles, etc), do you know any way to find out how much space for data they are using?

I've looked through Options and everything else I could think of and haven't found anything yet. The Modules list gives you the size of Application and Library file types, but not data storage AFAIK. Other than deleting Viigo, rebooting, comparing the new free available and subtracting the app size, I can't think of a way to do it.

My thought is that people could easily subscribe to lots of RSS feeds each of which take up memory. If they rarely read some of them, they might be able to recover some simply by unsubscribing. Right now it's hard to tell how much those cost in terms of memory used.
    09-15-08 01:24 PM
    If you use Advanced Restore, you can examine the file sizes for all data included in a backup.

Do a fresh backup first, to insure you get valid data.
    09-15-08 02:51 PM
    That's a useful tip. Of the ones listed, it looks like RMS Databases may contain the app data. According to this BTSC article, the RMS databases store "information about registered applications". I suppose that could be the data stored by Viigo, PocketExpress and others since nothing else looks likely. May not be a way to break that down into data size for each app.

In my case, the size of Ascendo DataVault listed there is much less than the binary itself, so it must be just the data. I'm guessing it's a separate line item since it's part of the sync conduit. Otherwise, DM apparently keeps data and binaries separate so App Loader shows the size of the binaries and Restore shows the size of the data files.
    09-15-08 04:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD