Interesting perspective...

Apple Inc’s. smartphone business model is Blackberry Ltd’s opportunity

Apple Inc.'s release of its latest version 7 smartphone reveals an inherent flaw in the company's execution that is an opportunity for Blackberry Ltd. (NASDAQ:BBRY2) (TSE:BB3) should they choose to exploit it.

With the elimination of an audio out port, and forcing consumers to buy Bluetooth earphones, Apple's persistent policy of ring-fencing its customers and forcing them into Apple upgrades is a chink in the armour of the world's largest smartphone manufacturer.

Other aspects of Apple's predatory model include its refusal to support mobile devices older than five years, which theoretically is supposed to drive consumers to continuously upgrade their devices. I recently tried to have my 2009 MacBook Pro repaired at the Mac Store, and was told that they no longer sold parts for models older than five years, but that I could go and find after market shops that could do the work and obtain the parts.
    Complete article here: Apple Inc?s smartphone business model is Blackberry Ltd?s opportunity | Financial Post
    Last edited by KemKev; 09-08-16 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Mods: Please edit title to read "Apple's..."
    09-08-16 11:35 AM
    It's a "unique" perspective is the nicest way I can put it it Apple's resistance to have a standard USB charging port didn't make a difference to consumers, I doubt the headphone jack will be any different. The masses will just think their newly purchased wireless headsets are super cool and praise Apple for how progressive they are.

I don't see any opportunity for BlackBerry here and it won't change the direction that they are moving with Android which suffers the same flaw that the article points at Apple - that of their software being more and more intensive on the hardware, forcing earlier upgrades.
    jegs2 likes this.
    09-08-16 11:45 AM
    I agree. While the common folk will understand the logic, the hardcore fans and supporters (i didn't want to say fanboys) will justify it in the manner in which you suggest. It will definitely be classified as "innovative" and something that is unique and exclusive to Apple.

I found it a bit odd that Apple was touting this as "Courageous". It is almost like they are expecting some backlash and saying that if you understand the courageous nature of this, you will get onboard.
    09-08-16 11:50 AM
    Lots of "courageous" folk out there... [Colbert emoji]
    09-08-16 11:57 AM
    I don't even think it's that big of a deal. I haven't used the headphone jack on my Z10 in well over a year. Love having wireless headphones. Got sick of my wires getting yanked and pulled on things. I'm sure it's an inconvenience for many but I don't think it will stop most from purchasing this device

Posted via CB10
    09-08-16 07:18 PM
    No one is forcing anyone to buy bluetooth earphones. The newly announced iPhone 7 & 7+ come with wired lightning headphones, just like every iPhone before it came with wired headphones (earbuds, whatever you want to call them)
    howarmat and pantlesspenguin like this.
    09-09-16 10:21 AM
    I agree. While the common folk will understand the logic, the hardcore fans and supporters (i didn't want to say fanboys) will justify it in the manner in which you suggest. It will definitely be classified as "innovative" and something that is unique and exclusive to Apple.

I found it a bit odd that Apple was touting this as "Courageous". It is almost like they are expecting some backlash and saying that if you understand the courageous nature of this, you will get onboard.
    It was "courageous" for Apple to exclude Adobe Flash from iOS, and the fanboys here touted how great Flash was on their "full web" ebaled Playbooks. Flash is now dead (RIP), and Apple has sold over 1 Billion iOS devices, so getting rid of a analog audio port is a smart move, and Samsung will follow. Personally I like wired headphones, and don't care if it's lighting or 3.5mm.
    09-09-16 10:24 AM
    You can still use wired headphones on the new iPhone....there is an adaptor that fits into where you charge the phone
    09-09-16 10:30 AM
    it has a lightning adapter...included for free. So honestly its a non issue for 97.45% of the people out there.
    09-09-16 10:33 AM
    it has a lightning adapter...included for free. So honestly its a non issue for 97.45% of the people out there.
    Are the other 2.55% us BlackBerry fanatics just trying to throw rocks at Apple? :P

If it has an adapter so that you can still use a regular 3.5mm plug, it really is a non issue. I frequently hook my phone up to my vintage stereo at home which doesn't have bluetooth (nor would I want it to) so this would have been a dealbreaker for me.*

*If I were planning to buy this device or if they didn't have some sort of adapter - neither of which are true apparently.
    09-09-16 06:17 PM
    I've never liked iphones and now with the new iPhone 7 nonsense I actually hate it. And I can't believe how people put so much money, time and effort into getting those phones that get zero to silly "upgrades" from one model to the other :/

Posted from my BlackBerry Passport 
    09-09-16 09:19 PM
    I've never liked iphones and now with the new iPhone 7 nonsense I actually hate it. And I can't believe how people put so much money, time and effort into getting those phones that get zero to silly "upgrades" from one model to the other :/

Well, just to play the devil's advocate a bit here... I know many people still happily rocking iphone 5 or earlier. Buying a new phone every 2 years is pretty normal these days and not everyone who has an iPhone buys every iteration of them. Most people don't. And, personally, I've bought a Z10, Z30, Passport and Classic all within a 3 year span probably so I can criticize them when I'm no different.
    09-09-16 09:31 PM

How are they 0 to silly upgrades. Faster processors that far beat any processor in an android or BlackBerry, upgraded cameras, better software.....arent those what pretty much every phone gets each year?

Posted via CB10
    howarmat and JeepBB like this.
    09-10-16 03:39 PM
    How are they 0 to silly upgrades. Faster processors that far beat any processor in an android or BlackBerry, upgraded cameras, better software.....arent those what pretty much every phone gets each year?

Posted via CB10
    better battery by a good amount too
    09-10-16 04:32 PM
    I just fail to see from the article how BBRY can specifically exploit the situation vs every other non-iOS platform. Also surprised with the criticism of lack of support for older mobile devices. Not something Apple is usually fingered for, and again no, indication how BBRY could do better (especially given their not so good customer support history) than other OEMs.
    09-10-16 04:35 PM
    As I was going go post in the other thread regarding this article.....
    It's a nice thought and one even I would relish to see it come to pass bit I know better.

It will take a catastrophic meltdown of the entire ieos ecosystem, stranding all of its users on their own individual technology islands for days and weeks, before a significant opening would created in the armor of the apple juggernaut.

Pagers were well on their way to extinction until 9-11-01 and communication over anything but a closed internal network was impossible. This is not about to happen to Apple.

But let's say it did. And let's at they come BlackBerry as their safe alternative. BlackBerry doesn't have the cache of phones or parts to ramp up manufacturing overnight to fill the generated demand and so folks would be forced to the current number 2, Android. Effectively moving to the number one spot. Sure BlackBerry would number 2 but us low numbers would still leave it far behind and no better off.

It's a nice thought but it will take more than a bad business model for highly desired device such as apples to open the door for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-16 06:41 PM
    Samsung might make some gains from it but not BlackBerry. BlackBerry isn't a player.
    09-11-16 03:26 PM
    BlackBerry is the only company I know that has that kind of unique technology, standpoint and know-how.

But at the same time is able to knock themselves out by any chance.

If it was not that sad - it could be a joke.

So many BAD decisions and fallen chances they had - they even HAD the most loyal fanbase of all tech-companies.

Posted via CB10
    dilijasi likes this.
    09-12-16 03:42 AM
    Other aspects of Apple’s predatory model include its refusal to support mobile devices older than five years
    Five years? and this is a complaint?
    09-17-16 02:37 PM
    Five years? and this is a complaint?
    LOL. Meanwhile, just about every BlackBerry device over the past five years seems to be the last of its kind.
    09-17-16 03:50 PM

Posted via CB10
    Absolutely BS on the OS and specs versus "any android". Including battery.

Posted via my DTEK50
    09-30-16 07:20 PM
    Absolutely BS on the OS and specs versus "any android". Including battery.

Posted via my DTEK50
    He only specifically mentions the processor - and the a10 smokes any Android processor.
    10-01-16 08:09 AM
    The author does not understand Apple customers. Nothing to see here.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-01-16 05:02 PM
    Well, just to play the devil's advocate a bit here... I know many people still happily rocking iphone 5 or earlier. Buying a new phone every 2 years is pretty normal these days and not everyone who has an iPhone buys every iteration of them. Most people don't. And, personally, I've bought a Z10, Z30, Passport and Classic all within a 3 year span probably so I can criticize them when I'm no different.
    Yes but there is a difference between the Z10/Z30 and the Classic so not quite the same thing. I had my iphone3G for 5 years when the battery died and I was pretty certain I was going to get the iPhone 5 at the time (2013) but I guess I saw the light and said to myself why pay so much for nothing! I looked at Android and in the end went for the BlackBerry z10. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would ever get a blackberry and I've had no regrets. I love the BlackBerry Passport - it's the most innovative phone ever made.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    10-10-16 08:30 PM