This is not affecting RIM really. But I love when Apple does a hatchet job on Asian competitors like HTC. It also won an lawsuit against Samsung in last month.

Keep hatcheting away Apple, you're clearing a path for RIM:

Taiwan's HTC shares tumble after Apple ruling
    Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:51pm EDT

(Reuters) - Shares in Taiwanese smartphone maker HTC tumbled as much as 6.5 percent on Monday after losing a preliminary ruling in a patent case with Apple Inc , with its announcement of a share buyback failing to stem the fall.

On Friday Apple won a preliminary ruling from a U.S. trade panel that HTC infringed on two of the California company's patents , the first step in an acrimonious dispute between the two in the cut-throat smartphone market.

HTC, with an eye on the damage to its shares from the ruling, said over the weekend it would buy back up to 20 million of its own shares before Sept 17, or about 2.4 percent of its outstanding shares.

The buyback price will be between T$900 ($31) and T$1,100 per share. The first 10 million will be bought back from July 18 and the second from Aug. 18. The company will give half the bought-back shares to staff and retire the rest.

"HTC was intending to tell investors T$900 would be the shares' bottom, but obviously investors did not buy that," said Simon Liu, deputy investment officer of Polaris Financial Group's fund arm.

"Instead, they are betting the ITC ruling would hurt its future earnings and market share. Even worse, more similar legal battles would follow."

At 0136 GMT, HTC shares stood at T$867.0, down 4.4 percent in a broader market down 0.84 pct.

HTC's shares had fallen over 20 percent between July 6 and July 14 on a range of concerns including the lawsuit and speculation that HTC could face a huge compensation payout to Apple, as well as increasing competition in the market place from Samsung and slowing global demand.

HTC's plan to acquire S3 Graphics for $300 million from Via Technologies , which is owned by HTC Chairwoman Cher Wang, also raised concerns over the company's corporate governance.

In the lawsuit, Apple initially accused HTC of infringing 10 patents but six were dropped from the case for various reasons. The ITC judge ruled that HTC infringed two of the remaining four.

A final determination in the case is due on Dec. 6.

Apple has filed a parallel lawsuit against HTC in a court in the U.S. District Court in Delaware.

"We are confident we have a strong case for the ITC appeals process and are fully prepared to defend ourselves using all means possible," HTC said in a statement.

HTC will hold an investor conference at the end of this month, when it will give guidance for the third quarter.
    Last edited by the_sleuth; 07-19-11 at 09:08 AM.
    07-17-11 09:32 PM
    Yeah, competition is so evil.
    07-17-11 11:49 PM
    another lawsuit from Apple?
    How many do they have on the go?
    K Bear likes this.
    07-17-11 11:57 PM
    meh, this will probably get dismissed, the first court tossed it, and it still needs to be approved at a higher level. definitely scary for google, but i think in the end it'll end up in the garbage heap where most patent suits go to die. also even if android died out, it isn't going to clear a path for RIM, people aren't going to say, oh well android that was fun; tail between legs, return to RIM. no. sorry. RIM currently isn't offering anything remotely close to an android experience, if android were to disappear you'd probably see mango phones flying off the shelf soon, actually, probably will anyway, i'd say microsoft will chip away every last bit of RIM with mango.
    K Bear and kevinnugent like this.
    07-18-11 03:04 AM
    Thank goodness for diversity. I've tried "the android experience" and it fell flat. I did an impromptu poll (sampling size of 1) of our IT dept here at work. Of the 3 phones "Mr. IT guy" owns, the Windows phone would be his first choice for a skeet target in lieu of clay pigeons. When you see those mangos go flying off the shelf, did you hear someone say "PULL" just before it whizzed by? I can't see myself visiting a forum, much less POSTING to a forum, for a phone that is headed the way of the Buffalo. My current phone is a BB. MY next phone will be a BB. Doing my part to save RIM - one phone at a time.
    07-18-11 11:25 AM
    I think android is screwed. MS gets $5 for every HTC phone sold and they want samsung to pay $15. People are going to shy away from Android because it will end up costing too much.

I don't see WP taking off. It's a prime time for RIM, they just have to execute.
    07-18-11 11:42 AM
    meh, this will probably get dismissed, the first court tossed it, and it still needs to be approved at a higher level.
    You're a little off on the procedure. This is the first "court," the prior determination was by ITC staff counsel, not any "court." As for this ruling, it is notable for one reason: preliminary determinations (which this is) are rarely overturned, and one of the patents is considered central to Android (and is at issue between Apple and Motorola as well).
    07-18-11 11:44 AM
    another lawsuit from Apple?
    How many do they have on the go?
    Maybe you'd want to check how man they have against them. In case you didn't know HTC has one against them too.
    07-18-11 11:54 AM
    Maybe you'd want to check how man they have against them. In case you didn't know HTC has one against them too.
    No, I really don't care that much. It was kind of a sarcastic comment. Just think it's kind of sad that everyone resorts to sueing over every little thing... the last one I saw from Apple... the term "app store" (or app something, I can't remember)
    My bad you didn't get it
    Last edited by SmakBerry; 07-18-11 at 08:02 PM.
    07-18-11 07:58 PM
    I think people are under appreciating the significance of this ruling. It does not portend well for Android. Here's another view of the ruling:

iPhone 5 double whammy: sea change underway amid HTC Android ruling : Beatweek Magazine

Jobs smells blood and is going for the jugular.

meh, this will probably get dismissed, the first court tossed it, and it still needs to be approved at a higher level. definitely scary for google, but i think in the end it'll end up in the garbage heap where most patent suits go to die. also even if android died out, it isn't going to clear a path for RIM, people aren't going to say, oh well android that was fun; tail between legs, return to RIM. no. sorry. RIM currently isn't offering anything remotely close to an android experience, if android were to disappear you'd probably see mango phones flying off the shelf soon, actually, probably will anyway, i'd say microsoft will chip away every last bit of RIM with mango.
    07-18-11 08:37 PM
    No, I really don't care that much. It was kind of a sarcastic comment. Just think it's kind of sad that everyone resorts to sueing over every little thing... the last one I saw from Apple... the term "app store" (or app something, I can't remember)
    My bad you didn't get it
    You're kidding right? Making the comment that everyone sueing over every little thing is ill informed at best. Without knowing the facts of the case you and I both don't know all the finical outlay and damage that can be caused to a company when others steal or infringe on their patents.

There's a reason companies like Apple and RIM spend millions of dollars on R&D and the patents to protect them. He'll, RIM is probably worth what it is because of the very patents that you claim to be sad when someone "resorts to sueing over". Honestly I am not trying to bash you but all these comments by people and the media about things they don't have the slightly clue what is going on is ridiculous.
    Last edited by Robert_LA; 07-19-11 at 02:17 AM.
    brucep1 likes this.
    07-19-11 02:14 AM
    And at the end of the day, it doesn't benefit the consumer, I'd rather use a razr than an iPhone, bark all you want about companies defending ip, I say f that noise. Patent licensing has gone incredibly too far, and its perfectly reasonable for people to voice their concerns over it. There are members of the itc that think this case is bogus, not to mention Apple has been found guilty of infringing on patents as well. What makes one worse than another? The itc isn't going to ban HTC imports, that's absurd, might want to read up on something called past practices

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-11 02:34 AM
    I think android is screwed. MS gets $5 for every HTC phone sold and they want samsung to pay $15. People are going to shy away from Android because it will end up costing too much.

I don't see WP taking off. It's a prime time for RIM, they just have to execute.
    WP os estimated to be above ios within a few years. I sure hope that's true. Apple has turned out to be a real disgrace to its customers, me being one

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-11 02:38 AM
    07-19-11 06:30 AM
    You're a little off on the procedure. This is the first "court," the prior determination was by ITC staff counsel, not any "court." As for this ruling, it is notable for one reason: preliminary determinations (which this is) are rarely overturned, and one of the patents is considered central to Android (and is at issue between Apple and Motorola as well).
    Just to expand upon the procedure -- after the preliminary determination, there is a final determination by the ITC itself. That final determination is usually (though not always) in accord with the preliminary determination. From the final determination, HTC can appeal to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, which handles all patent appeals. (And depending on what happens in the Federal Circuit, HTC could petition for cert in the U.S. Supreme Court, although there is far from a guarantee that the court would take the case.)
    07-19-11 06:46 AM

WP7 will take off. It has more to offer now than Blackberries do as far as Developer Experience, Hardware, User Experience, and Ecosystem is concerned.

It's a 7 month old platform. Chill out.
    07-19-11 07:20 AM
    WP7 will take off. It has more to offer now than Blackberries do as far as Developer Experience, Hardware, User Experience, and Ecosystem is concerned.

Yeah and probably going to remain at that level. Although I once said I would rather have wp7 over iphone, i've changed my mind.

I'd now rather have an iphone first, assuming RIM disintegrates.
    07-19-11 12:33 PM

Hmmmm but in reference to the Playbook and native e-mail:

What the person above said, and also you can WiFi tether any WiFi device to a smartphone for access to the internet even where WiFi does not exist.

Being WiFi Only is not an excuse for not having it on the device.
    Tablet OS is only a 3 month old platform. Chill out.
    gravymonster and M.Rizk like this.
    07-19-11 01:31 PM
    But how does this help RIM?
    07-23-11 03:15 PM
    The company of lawsuits.
    07-23-11 04:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD