I'm sure RIM has its issues but the one of trust is not one of them in my book. Sure, they have had some delays releasing upgrades but I take it part of the reason is their security.

Although the media quickly threw some dirt on RIM about it, RIM finally stood up for themselves and made an official statement that they never have and never will install CarrierIQ nor allow the carrier partners to do so. Kinda cool. Little RIM standing up for us.

However, with Apple, we not only have to worry about malware that hurts users but Apple themselves installed software that can track every single thing you do on your iPhone. Every website, every e-mail, every keystroke. Passwords, account numbers, etc. I know some Apple fans will say it does not matter and that is fine but to me having my device manufacturer protect my privacy instead of breaching it matters. And that is not a hate comment but just a fact.

Apple has been doing this for a long time. They just got caught, otherwise we would still never hear about it. The company that sues more people than Microsoft may be looking at legal action again.

This issue is being investigated by the Justice Department for something along the lines of illegal wire tapping. Not cool Apple. I'm glad I'm with RIM.

iPhone articles on vulnerabilities:
    Even Apple's Phones Are Getting Hacked - Yahoo! News
    Apple Security Breach Gives Complete Access to Your iPhone

Apple article on CarrierIQ:
    Apple Pledges to Remove Carrier IQ ‘Keylogger’ from iOS - Softpedia
    JPMorgan_ and Jake2826 like this.
    12-02-11 10:48 AM
    However, with Apple, we not only have to worry about malware that hurts users but Apple themselves installed software that can track every single thing you do on your iPhone. Every website, every e-mail, every keystroke. Passwords, account numbers, etc. I know some Apple fans will say it does not matter and that is fine but to me having my device manufacturer protect my privacy instead of breaching it matters. And that is not a hate comment but just a fact.
    If you are going to attack a company, at least don't lie in the process.

Apple already confirmed what you said is NOT true.

We stopped supporting CarrierIQ with iOS 5 in most of our products and will remove it completely in a future software update. With any diagnostic data sent to Apple, customers must actively opt-in to share this information, and if they do, the data is sent in an anonymous and encrypted form and does not include any personal information. We never recorded keystrokes, messages or any other personal information for diagnostic data and have no plans to ever do so.
    Apple: Carrier IQ dropped from most products with iOS 5 | The Verge

Nice job directly attacking Apple even though they are not the only company doing it (and their version of it is nowhere near as crazy, but still unnecessary).
    12-02-11 11:05 AM
    And guellermo also at least do some research before you flap you gums: and look what Sith found on a BB so you may want to remove your foot from your mouth.

CIQ on IOS has no permission with the UI (User Interface) so therefore keystrokes etc CANNOT BE monitored.

What Can Carrier IQ See on the iPhone?
    The only data Chpwn could see being accessed by CIQ on the iPhone were things like the carrier, country, active phone calls and physical location (assuming location services are turned on). He did not find things like message content or any keystroke-logging type of activity. Whatever the app does log, it appears that it only works when the phone is in diagnostic mode, so preventing the data from being transmitted is no insurmountable task.

Chpwn's findings were verified by the Verge, who said they located a file called IQAgent and spotted references to the URL collector.sky.carrieriq.com on an iOS device. Exactly what kinds of data the iPhone is collecting or transmitting is not exactly clear, but so far it looks like it's fairly minimal.

After the scandal heated up for about 24 hours, Apple put out a statement saying that they haven't logged personal information using Carrier IQ and that they're actually in the process of removing the software from iOS. Whether or not that decision had already been made, now looks a good time to axe the program, especially considering Apple's history with iPhone privacy controversies.

Well well well look what was found:

Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice
    Using a factory device (9650 running OS 6) i downloaded from ota.carrieriq.com/rim. The modules were not present on the device fresh out of the box, or on any device where i manually updated the software. Also, the application MUST be granted trusted status in order to work properly. I installed the app (and set all permissions to DENY).

Below is a list of modules in the "Stable" OS 6 release:
    Application Module - IQAgent
    Library Modules - IQAgent-1
    IQAgent-10
    IQAgent-11
    IQAgent-12
    IQAgent-13
    IQAgent-14
    IQAgent-15
    IQAgent-16
    IQAgent-17
    IQAgent-2
    IQAgent-3
    IQAgent-4
    IQAgent-5
    IQAgent-6
    IQAgent-7
    IQAgent-8
    IQAgent-9

The app also requests the following access:
    USB
    Bluetooth
    Phone
    Location Data
    Server Network
    Internet
    WI-FI
    Cross Application Communication
    Device Settings
    Media
    Application Management
    Themes
    Input Simulation
    Browser Filtering
    Recording
    Security Timer Reset
    Display Information while Locked
    Email
    Organizer Data
    Files
    Security Data

I can also confirm that there is no icon for this application, though it does show under "IQAgent" in the application management listing and is listed as optional.

Update:
    The application and all listed modules removes easily with a delete of the application. No wipe or extreme measures needed. I do not think BlackBerry users need to be worried about this app, if its found, simply go in and uninstall it.

So with that being said it DOES exist for your precious BB.
    Last edited by Accidental Post; 12-02-11 at 11:15 AM.
    12-02-11 11:08 AM
    The problem here is that the CarrierIQ implementation on the iPhone isn't as nearly as broad as you claim, as it logs (a) location data and (b) when a phone call was active. It doesn’t log location data if location Services are disabled, which is the default position.

What you describe sounds more like HTC, where CarrierIQ logs every number you press in the phone dialer, every key you type on the keyboard, every SMS message you receive, every URL you open in the web browser, every app you open, all media playback, and your location. There is no visible sign it's running, the process is hidden from the process viewer, and there is no way to disable it.

In other words, your facts, as usual, are suspect.
    Accidental Post and avt123 like this.
    12-02-11 11:10 AM
    The problem here is that the CarrierIQ implementation on the iPhone isn't as nearly as broad as you claim, as it logs (a) location data and (b) when a phone call was active. It doesn�t log location data if location Services are disabled, which is the default position.

What you describe sounds more like HTC, where CarrierIQ logs every number you press in the phone dialer, every key you type on the keyboard, every SMS message you receive, every URL you open in the web browser, every app you open, all media playback, and your location. There is no visible sign it's running, the process is hidden from the process viewer, and there is no way to disable it.

In other words, your facts, as usual, are suspect.
    Let's not forget that if you opt out of diagnostics on the iPhone, this doesn't even affect you. You can't opt out of HTC and Sprints implementation. You have to root and delete it.

And like you said, their version is much worse. Apples version actually looks much more like diagnostics that would actually help, than diagnostics that completely invade your privacy and is totally unencrypted when being sent back to wherever it is going.

I still think it should be removed, but the fact that the OP singles out Apple when it isn't nearly half as bad as what HTC/Sprint are doing is a complete joke.
    12-02-11 11:14 AM
    And yet RIM stock is down and Apple is up........
    12-02-11 11:23 AM
    Well lets ban htc and sprint then and make hundreds of threads about how bad they are and they are a fail.

Only kidding of course. It is sad there is no privacy any longer.
    12-02-11 11:24 AM
    Oh cool, how much have profited today so far?
    12-02-11 11:25 AM
    I am doing OK.......

I buy what I believe in...............
    12-02-11 11:26 AM
    And guellermo also at least do some research before you flap you gums: and look what Sith found on a BB so you may want to remove your foot from your mouth.

CIQ on IOS has no permission with the UI (User Interface) so therefore keystrokes etc CANNOT BE monitored.

What Can Carrier IQ See on the iPhone?
    The only data Chpwn could see being accessed by CIQ on the iPhone were things like the carrier, country, active phone calls and physical location (assuming location services are turned on). He did not find things like message content or any keystroke-logging type of activity. Whatever the app does log, it appears that it only works when the phone is in diagnostic mode, so preventing the data from being transmitted is no insurmountable task.

Chpwn's findings were verified by the Verge, who said they located a file called IQAgent and spotted references to the URL collector.sky.carrieriq.com on an iOS device. Exactly what kinds of data the iPhone is collecting or transmitting is not exactly clear, but so far it looks like it's fairly minimal.

After the scandal heated up for about 24 hours, Apple put out a statement saying that they haven't logged personal information using Carrier IQ and that they're actually in the process of removing the software from iOS. Whether or not that decision had already been made, now looks a good time to axe the program, especially considering Apple's history with iPhone privacy controversies.

Well well well look what was found:

Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice
    Using a factory device (9650 running OS 6) i downloaded from ota.carrieriq.com/rim. The modules were not present on the device fresh out of the box, or on any device where i manually updated the software. Also, the application MUST be granted trusted status in order to work properly. I installed the app (and set all permissions to DENY).

Below is a list of modules in the "Stable" OS 6 release:
    Application Module - IQAgent
    Library Modules - IQAgent-1
    IQAgent-10
    IQAgent-11
    IQAgent-12
    IQAgent-13
    IQAgent-14
    IQAgent-15
    IQAgent-16
    IQAgent-17
    IQAgent-2
    IQAgent-3
    IQAgent-4
    IQAgent-5
    IQAgent-6
    IQAgent-7
    IQAgent-8
    IQAgent-9

The app also requests the following access:
    USB
    Bluetooth
    Phone
    Location Data
    Server Network
    Internet
    WI-FI
    Cross Application Communication
    Device Settings
    Media
    Application Management
    Themes
    Input Simulation
    Browser Filtering
    Recording
    Security Timer Reset
    Display Information while Locked
    Email
    Organizer Data
    Files
    Security Data

I can also confirm that there is no icon for this application, though it does show under "IQAgent" in the application management listing and is listed as optional.

Update:
    The application and all listed modules removes easily with a delete of the application. No wipe or extreme measures needed. I do not think BlackBerry users need to be worried about this app, if its found, simply go in and uninstall it.

Absolutely correct. CarrierIQ exists just the same for BlackBerry. You would be stupid to think it hasn't also been used on BlackBerries.
    12-02-11 11:28 AM
    And what's that got to do with the subject? And you claim BB fans are blindly defending Rim.

Apple did go behind its users backs and it's not the first time, can't deny it.

Like it or not, it's the fact.

The app exists for BB but it's an app on the CIQ website, not on Appworld approved by Rim.

If for any reason you find it on a BB it's there because the carrier put it there without Rim's approval and it can easily be deleted.
    Jake2826 likes this.
    12-02-11 11:28 AM
    Absolutely correct. CarrierIQ exists just the same for BlackBerry. You would be stupid to think it hasn't also been used on BlackBerries.
    I was laying that out for the MISINFORMED OP.
    12-02-11 11:33 AM
    And what's that got to do with the subject? And you claim BB fans are blindly defending Rim.

The app exists for BB but it's an app on the CIQ website, not on Appworld approved by Rim.

If for any reason you find it on a BB it's there because the carrier put it there without Rim's approval and it can easily be deleted.
    If there's one thing you should have learned by now with the financial crisis it's that companies lie. All the time.

RIM too, as many enthusiasts can attest.

The CIQ app exists for all platforms. For me, that's damning enough. Everyone is at fault here and this game of RIM vs Apple vs Google is silly. Let's focus our anger on the carriers instead.
    12-02-11 11:35 AM

Who's back did they go behind? Opt out and you are good. Their version of CIQ is nowhere near as bad as the one found on HTC and Sprint devices. That is going behind your customers back. They CAN'T opt out.
    12-02-11 11:36 AM
    If you are going to trust what a company tells you after they did have CarrierIQ installed on their devices that is up to you. I don't.
    Here is another post of apple tracking your every move regardless of location services.

http://www.gsmarena.com/the_iphone_4...-news-2540.php

How many people that have iPhones do you think knew about CarrierIQ? If you don't think it matters that O.K. It matters to me.

The one valid point is that Apple is not alone. The good news for BlackBerry users is RIM never loaded this software on our devices or authorized anyone to do so.

I'm comfortable with RIM. It is that simple.
    Last edited by guerllamo7; 12-02-11 at 12:04 PM.
    12-02-11 11:37 AM
    And VZW said 2 weeks prior to the blow up that they don't use it. It's a carrier tool. We don't blindly defend Apple we come with FACTS not speculation as the OP attempted. He is beginning to become a google warrior instead of understanding what is happening and reading the facts he is grabbing links faster than an inmate grabs his ankles.
    12-02-11 11:40 AM
    If you are going to trust what a company tells you after they did have CarrierIQ installed on their devices that is up to you. I don't.

How many people that have iPhones do you think knew about CarrierIQ?

The one valid point is that Apple is not alone. The good news for BlackBerry users is RIM never loaded this software on our devices or authorized anyone to do so.

On the contrary, the one valid point is that your "facts" simply cannot be trusted.
    12-02-11 11:43 AM

Apple said it is on the iPhone 4 only. And yes, by allowing me to opt out of their diagnostics (which Apple uses CIQ for and is deleting because they have their own software), it puts me at ease. I know I have a way to prevent it. Other platforms that have this installed don't have that ability.

We know you are comfortable with RIM. You made that very clear (in almost every single post). You also made it clear that you have a personal dislike towards Apple. Apples version of CIQ is NOWHERE near as ridiculous as HTC and Sprint, and you claim Apple is doing the same thing and they are not.

Get your facts straight.
    12-02-11 11:46 AM

About as many that have BB 's with it installed.
    12-02-11 11:47 AM
    Wow, such denial.
    12-02-11 11:58 AM
    Wow, such denial.
    Who is denying anything? We know it is there. Sorry we can interpret the differences from one version of CIQ to another unlike the OP. One barely does anything and the other knows everything you do. See the difference?

That said, Apple said they are going to completely remove the leftover code. Others have no plans at all to get rid of anything. Now that the info is out there, just opt out if you haven't already and you are safe. You can't do this on the other devices involved.

You guys really need to point your attention elsewhere, because this version of CIQ is nothing compared to Sprints.
    Last edited by avt123; 12-02-11 at 12:04 PM.
    12-02-11 12:02 PM
    Without wading into the whole who's worse pissing contest. I think this is a strike against ALL smartphone and perhaps even wireless carriers in general. The problem is not just that these companies created, installed, and maintained the spying/keylogging/tracking apparatus.

The problem is that they were likely able to do so with "silent" permission of the governments around the world.

If I'm wrong and the government had no idea like the rest of us then I expect a heavy penalties and restrictions placed upon ALL companies involved.

That isn't to say that penalties should be equal across the board but they should all be punished if found (in)directly responsible.
    12-02-11 12:02 PM
    im sure we can all agree, that stuff exists for pretty much everything, its when it comes PREINSTALLED and the user isnt notified, thats when the preverbial hits the fan.

RIM never did it preinstalled, apple did but has since iOS5 started its removal and some android vendors did. thats the facts.

yes its also a fact that you can install it aftermarket, but thats much the same almost anything so your clutching at straws if thats meant to be a defence.
    12-02-11 12:04 PM
    The ultimate issue is the Gov'ts were involved in this crap. The US Senate is putting up a front of wanting answers by the 14th of December by one of the most Liberal members....
    12-02-11 12:05 PM
    im sure we can all agree, that stuff exists for pretty much everything, its when it comes PREINSTALLED and the user isnt notified, thats when the preverbial hits the fan.

RIM never did it preinstalled, apple did but has since iOS5 started its removal and some android vendors did. thats the facts.

yes its also a fact that you can install it aftermarket, but thats much the same almost anything so your clutching at straws if thats meant to be a defence.

Not a defence at all. Look at the OP's statement. CIQ is bad but it is different on an iPhone than on an Android. You CANNOT remove it or stop it on an Android without rooting. Me it was never working on my device as I never turn on Diags.
    ThePinkChameleon likes this.
    12-02-11 12:08 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD