Countries (like India, UAE, Saudi Arabia) complain about RIM's ironclad security. It's one of the reasons I won't switch to Android or Apple:

Hackers claim attack on Apple server

Maija Palmer Financial Times Published Monday, Jul. 04, 2011 8:22AM EDT Last updated Monday, Jul. 04, 2011 8:35AM EDT

A group of computer hackers known as Lulzsec on Sunday night claimed to have penetrated one of Apple�s computer servers and posted a list of user names and passwords on the Internet.

If the attack is genuine, it is thought to have affected a server used by Apple�s business intelligence unit to collect survey data and does not affect iTunes accounts. Apple did not immediately respond to requests to comment on the incident.

The attack appears to be by the Lulzsec and Anonymous hacking groups who have been targeting a number of large companies, including Sony, which was hit by a hacking attack this year in which the personal details of 100m customers were in danger of being compromised.

A Twitter account, Anonymous IRC, used by members of Lulzsec, claimed that Apple�s security had been penetrated, and posted a list of information supposedly taken from the company�s servers.

The Twitter post also hinted that Apple AAPL-Q could be the target of further attacks. The post read: �Not being so serious but well Apple could be target, too. But don�t worry, we are busy elsewhere.�

At the same time, a Lebanese hacker, who goes by the name of idac_hacker, claimed he had also found a security flaw in Apple�s computers. He said he was not affiliated with Anonymous or Lulzsec and was against the �Antisec� operation to target large companies. �Antisec� stands for �anti-security�, with hackers trying to prove that all large operations can be penetrated by hackers.

Lulzsec have also claimed to have hacked into the computers of the FBI and the UK�s Serious Organised Crime Agency. Police have made a number of arrests across Europe and the US in the past month of suspected Lulzsec members, prompting the group to announce they were calling it a day.

However, Lulzsec and its parent group Anonymous are a very loosely structured organization with little hierarchy. Members know little about each other�s real life identities, and so it can be difficult to determine whether the group has really stopped operations. If the Apple hack is genuine, it would indicate that at least some members are continuing their campaign.
    anon(3749235) and Jake2826 like this.
    07-04-11 09:06 AM
    would be interesting to see if Lulzsec was capable of breaching RIMs servers. Even if they reported back that it was not possible, that would be a test that everyone would follow.
    07-04-11 09:41 AM
    The clock is ticking in regards to Apple and Android customer accounts being hacked....This is not an issue of if...more so a matter of when....

We live in a society where we take for granted and have an utter disregard for our sensitive personal info...the clock is ticking as far as major Apple and Android security breaches are concerned....Be thankful you have a BB
    Jake Storm and Jake2826 like this.
    07-04-11 10:01 AM
    Whew! iTunes wasn't hacked (yet) ...

What a disaster that would be, lol.
    07-04-11 10:08 AM

Worried that you wouldn't be able to download your latest Lady Gaga fix?
    07-04-11 10:21 AM
    There are a RIDICULOUS amount of iTunes users, way way up there in the millions and you gotta have a credit card attached to it.

Anyway 27 usernames and passwords stolen from some random segment of apple, stop the presses, lol.
    07-04-11 10:29 AM
    You're not seeing the forest for the trees.
    It's not how many were obtained it's the fact that it was done.

Just because *your* plane hasn't been brought down doesn't mean that we can forget about transporation security. Just because *your* house hasn't been broken into doesn't mean we can dismantle the police force and throw away the idea of law. Just because *your* account was not hacked doesn't mean that security is not of preeminent importance in a digital age.
    K Bear likes this.
    07-04-11 10:46 AM
    I was kidding. I don't even have iTunes, lol.
    07-04-11 10:50 AM
    You're not seeing the forest for the trees.
    It's not how many were obtained it's the fact that it was done.

Just because *your* plane hasn't been brought down doesn't mean that we can forget about transporation security. Just because *your* house hasn't been broken into doesn't mean we can dismantle the police force and throw away the idea of law. Just because *your* account was not hacked doesn't mean that security is not of preeminent importance in a digital age.
    Sorry but if you can't acknowledge the difference between someone hacking something as epically and massively significant like iTunes and some other small random segment then I don't know what to say. Was it done? Yes. Do they have vastly different security measures for plainly obvious reasons? Yes. Should the smaller segment have been better secured, of course, but no punk kids with SQL injectors are going to make a dent in anything important like Itunes.

I'm just talking about this situation in a totally isolated context, it's a small one. Not worth worrying about if you're a member of iTunes or something, like a zillion people are. But obviously internet security is a cause for concern, I didn't need a bunch of young punks to "hack" 27 users to remind me.
    07-04-11 10:51 AM

Anyway 27 usernames and passwords stolen from some random segment of apple, stop the presses, lol.
    You would want the presses stopped if you were one of the 27.
    07-04-11 10:52 AM

I got hacked on iTunes

iTunes gets compromised somewhat frequently, though not through apple, but through 3rd party app developers sometimes intentionally sometimes someone hacking the 3rd party.

iTunes accounts hacking more widespread than initially thought. The facts, and what you should do. - TNW Apple

and those are just the 2 stories I remember reading, as I don't follow apple news there could be much more
    Jake Storm and Dapper37 like this.
    07-04-11 10:57 AM
    RIM's servers won't get hacked. RIM know what they are doing.

CrApple on the other hand... Well, anything that f...s up CrApple is all to the worldwide good.
    07-04-11 11:38 AM
    Sorry but if you can't acknowledge the difference between someone hacking something as epically and massively significant like iTunes and some other small random segment then I don't know what to say. Was it done? Yes. Do they have vastly different security measures for plainly obvious reasons? Yes. Should the smaller segment have been better secured, of course, but no punk kids with SQL injectors are going to make a dent in anything important like Itunes.

I'm just talking about this situation in a totally isolated context, it's a small one. Not worth worrying about if you're a member of iTunes or something, like a zillion people are. But obviously internet security is a cause for concern, I didn't need a bunch of young punks to "hack" 27 users to remind me.
    Sorry if you so enamoured of a platform that you can't see the vulnerabilities of that platform exposed.
    Sorry if you are unable to extrapolate isolated incidents to what is possibe, as shown, on a wider scale.
    Sorry if you can't see that today's punk kids will be the Jobs and Gates of tomorrow.
    Sorry if you're oblivious to the damage that a number of punk kids can do, simply because they can, and. Learn to go to bigger and more significant hacks.
    Sorry if you can't see the forest for the trees.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-04-11 11:52 AM
    RIM's servers won't get hacked. RIM know what they are doing.

CrApple on the other hand... Well, anything that f...s up CrApple is all to the worldwide good.
    Yea, it is really good when innocent customers get ****** over.
    Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme; 07-04-11 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Language
    chiefbroski likes this.
    07-04-11 11:54 AM
    Yea, it is really good when innocent customers get ****** over.
    No, that is not good but that's what CrApple do systematically to ALL their customers.

They really are the evil empire.
    07-04-11 11:56 AM
    Fanbois are putting more water in the wine, were supposed to believe that this type of thing doesn't matter and an apple is always golden delicious. Security is going to be "the" story going forward. Apple hopes it wont be.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    07-04-11 12:36 PM
    No, that is not good but that's what CrApple do systematically to ALL their customers.

They really are the evil empire.
    Yes. Apple hacks all of our accounts and releases our passwords and all our information for anyone to use. Are you high?

If you are referring to the logging of device location (which isn't automatic anymore), IMO that is nowhere near as big as this.
    07-04-11 12:42 PM
    Yes. Apple hacks all of our accounts and releases our passwords and all our information for anyone to use. Are you high?

If you are referring to the logging of device location (which isn't automatic anymore), IMO that is nowhere near as big as this.
    No Sir, I am not high. However I have watch Apple sell their overproced and underfunctioned products for 30 years. It is shameful. That I why I say that Apple has been ripping off their customers for decades.

Their computer which only ever made 10% sales over 30 years should testify to this. Further proof comes with the initial restrictive proactise of only being able to play iTunes Music on you PC or the IPod. This led to iPods sales being banned in a couple of European countries.

I became suspicious that Apple were bad when they initially stole their name from The Beatles Apple Corp. Paul Mcartney told Jobs that he could use the name provided he never got into the music biz. ** **. So much for trust.

Now I find that people have hacked the Aplle database. Am I now surpeised that Apple did not run a secure and encrypted database to protect their customers? No Sir, I am not.

I have had my say and shall not repond here again since I do not like what has happened to some threads in the past. They just seems to go downhill.
    Jake Storm and Jake2826 like this.
    07-04-11 02:00 PM
    No Sir, I am not high. However I have watch Apple sell their overproced and underfunctioned products for 30 years. It is shameful. That I why I say that Apple has been ripping off their customers for decades.

Their computer which only ever made 10% sales over 30 years should testify to this. Further proof comes with the initial restrictive proactise of only being able to play iTunes Music on you PC or the IPod. This led to iPods sales being banned in a couple of European countries.

I became suspicious that Apple were bad when they initially stole their name from The Beatles Apple Corp. Paul Mcartney told Jobs that he could use the name provided he never got into the music biz. ** **. So much for trust.

Now I find that people have hacked the Aplle database. Am I now surpeised that Apple did not run a secure and encrypted database to protect their customers? No Sir, I am not.

I have had my say and shall not repond here again since I do not like what has happened to some threads in the past. They just seems to go downhill.
    Gartner Says PC Market Declined 18 Percent in First Quarter of 2011

looks to me like apple is the only one making any good sales numbers in the PC market right now. everyone else is bleeding quite a bit
    Last edited by howarmat; 07-04-11 at 02:54 PM.
    07-04-11 02:15 PM
    You said nothing about Apple ripping off their customers (which I agree to an extent). It is the customers fault if they are buying overpriced hardware/software. You are going to blame Apple for charging a certain price for a device, when someone can just not buy it?

Also, it is only a ripoff if you believe it is. I have not had any problems with my Macs since buying them. I am willing to pay the extra few hundred just for this. I like the support. I like that there is an Apple Store 15 minutes away from me if I need anything fixed and I like that the CS speaks fluent English and I'm not talking to someone with an accent that is way too thick that I have no clue what they are saying, just to get transfered to someone else who is even worse.

If you are willing to pay, you are willing to pay. If not, go build a PC (like I did for years). Everyone I know who ones a Mac loves it.

We all know sales aren't everything right? I mean, that's what said every single time BB sales are compared to iPhone sales.

I am not surprised either. It was bound to happen one day or another. Apple/iTunes is a huge target.

What is going downhill? We are having a simple debate/discussion.
    07-04-11 02:48 PM
    Sorry if you can't see that today's punk kids will be the Jobs and Gates of tomorrow.
    Yeah... I dont see uneducated, sociopaths having entrepreneurial spirit and initiating projects that revolutionize the world of software or electronic gadgets.
    07-04-11 04:06 PM
    Gartner Says PC Market Declined 18 Percent in First Quarter of 2011

looks to me like apple is the only one making any good sales numbers in the PC market right now. everyone else is bleeding quite a bit
    LOL! Look out! Apples taking over after 30 years of being the red headed step child of home computing.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    07-04-11 04:09 PM
    Countries (like India, UAE, Saudi Arabia) complain about RIM's ironclad security. It's one of the reasons I won't switch to Android or Apple:

Hackers claim attack on Apple server

Maija Palmer Financial Times Published Monday, Jul. 04, 2011 8:22AM EDT Last updated Monday, Jul. 04, 2011 8:35AM EDT

A group of computer hackers known as Lulzsec on Sunday night claimed to have penetrated one of Apple�s computer servers and posted a list of user names and passwords on the Internet.

If the attack is genuine, it is thought to have affected a server used by Apple�s business intelligence unit to collect survey data and does not affect iTunes accounts. Apple did not immediately respond to requests to comment on the incident.

The attack appears to be by the Lulzsec and Anonymous hacking groups who have been targeting a number of large companies, including Sony, which was hit by a hacking attack this year in which the personal details of 100m customers were in danger of being compromised.

A Twitter account, Anonymous IRC, used by members of Lulzsec, claimed that Apple�s security had been penetrated, and posted a list of information supposedly taken from the company�s servers.

The Twitter post also hinted that Apple AAPL-Q could be the target of further attacks. The post read: �Not being so serious but well Apple could be target, too. But don�t worry, we are busy elsewhere.�

At the same time, a Lebanese hacker, who goes by the name of idac_hacker, claimed he had also found a security flaw in Apple�s computers. He said he was not affiliated with Anonymous or Lulzsec and was against the �Antisec� operation to target large companies. �Antisec� stands for �anti-security�, with hackers trying to prove that all large operations can be penetrated by hackers.

Lulzsec have also claimed to have hacked into the computers of the FBI and the UK�s Serious Organised Crime Agency. Police have made a number of arrests across Europe and the US in the past month of suspected Lulzsec members, prompting the group to announce they were calling it a day.

However, Lulzsec and its parent group Anonymous are a very loosely structured organization with little hierarchy. Members know little about each other�s real life identities, and so it can be difficult to determine whether the group has really stopped operations. If the Apple hack is genuine, it would indicate that at least some members are continuing their campaign.
    /fanboy

But...but... the iphone is just a secure as a BB.

laff
    07-04-11 04:11 PM
    Wow guys... to even think that BB will never get hacked is absurd... Im sure a time will come but hopefully not anytime soon. Anything is possible so never say never.

PS. Apple is a joke. Their overpriced hardware is not only a year at best behind but it is not customizable. Anything you want extra costs $200+ per part. Sure, its great for amateurs who reallydont know how to use the ever so hard to use PC but the argument where audio encoding and video editing and Photoshop works better argument ended years ago.
    07-04-11 06:06 PM
    PS. Apple is a joke. Their overpriced hardware is not only a year at best behind but it is not customizable. Anything you want extra costs $200+ per part. Sure, its great for amateurs who reallydont know how to use the ever so hard to use PC but the argument where audio encoding and video editing and Photoshop works better argument ended years ago.
    I, for one, aspire to be the kind of joke that makes $25 billion a year in profit and has $60 billion in cash. Perhaps you don't, but to each their own.
    howarmat likes this.
    07-04-11 07:02 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD