They say it is a major flaw Apple products emails website all can be viewed on real time. They say there is nothing available currently to address these issues. Thank you BlackBerrry while everyone else is enjoying all their apps on icraps I feel relieved that I can send my emails and browse the Web enter codes and feel a sense of relief. Thank You!

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 11:40 AM
    Yeah but it doesn't address the countless flaws nobody has brought to their attention yet. This is evidenced by the fact that about every six months or so apple is plugging another huge security hole all of a sudden. It stands to reason that there are the next ten years worth of security holes still on the iPhone that have not been plugged.

Posted via CB10
    Just like windows that most businesses use.
    TgeekB and oyaug like this.
    02-22-14 11:44 AM
    Yeah so has BlackBerry it's improved by leaps and bounds including maintaining their security measures. Alas even USAF wants to have gaming apps on their devices, let's hope that they aren't playing angry birds,should there be an issue arising.

Posted via CB10
    Yes they may want that but I bet what they want more are the apps for flight info, charts and that stuff pilots have to know about. I don't believe BBRY has any of those type of apps to make their jobs easier.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-22-14 11:47 AM
    Yes they may want that but I bet what they want more are the apps for flight info, charts and that stuff pilots have to know about. I don't believe BBRY has any of those type of apps to make their jobs easier.
    They do have flight simulators, the other apps are being developed it's a fairly new platform

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-22-14 11:49 AM
    So you have to be on an unsecured network? And the hacker has to be on that same unsecured network? How many people with top secret info use unsecured wifi networks to do their business? No matter the OS, I'm not doing banking or anything like that on an open unsecured wifi hotspot.
    My parents live in a suburban type neighborhood. There are no less than 20 open, unsecured wifi networks in their neighborhood.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 11:49 AM
    My parents live in a suburban type neighborhood. There are no less than 20 open, unsecured wifi networks in their neighborhood.

Posted via CB10
    There are many in my neighborhood also but I don't use them. I use my own secured wifi.
    02-22-14 11:57 AM
    There are many in my neighborhood also but I don't use them. I use my own secured wifi.
    Ok. So because you are smart enough to not use unsecured networks - does that mean everyone else is?

Keep in mind the lack of tech savvy folks who typically use iphones. That translates to huge problems for a majority of users.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 12:03 PM
    Yeah so has BlackBerry it's improved by leaps and bounds including maintaining their security measures. Alas even USAF wants to have gaming apps on their devices, let's hope that they aren't playing angry birds,should there be an issue arising.

Posted via CB10
    You don't really believe this, do you?

Blackberry has changed recently, far behind the others. This is why they find themselves behind the competition.

As for playing Angry Birds, let's get real with the old arguments.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    02-22-14 12:59 PM
    Ok. So because you are smart enough to not use unsecured networks - does that mean everyone else is?

Keep in mind the lack of tech savvy folks who typically use iphones. That translates to huge problems for a majority of users.

Posted via CB10
    And this somehow hasn't helped Blackberry no matter how many people on here don't like it. By the way, people on other platforms are surviving quite well.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    JeepBB, kbz1960 and Drew808 like this.
    02-22-14 01:01 PM
    They say it is a major flaw Apple products emails website all can be viewed on real time. They say there is nothing available currently to address these issues. Thank you BlackBerrry while everyone else is enjoying all their apps on icraps I feel relieved that I can send my emails and browse the Web enter codes and feel a sense of relief. Thank You!

Posted via CB10
    FYI: calling the other platforms names won't sell Blackberry phones.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    Moonbase0ne likes this.
    02-22-14 01:03 PM
    That wasn't the commenter's claim.

That's fine, but the comment to which you refer was describing people with top secret info, not your average iPhone user.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-22-14 01:20 PM
    You don't really believe this, do you?

Blackberry has changed recently, far behind the others. This is why they find themselves behind the competition.

As for playing Angry Birds, let's get real with the old arguments.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    Yeah I concur

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 01:30 PM
    Yeah but it doesn't address the countless flaws nobody has brought to their attention yet. This is evidenced by the fact that about every six months or so apple is plugging another huge security hole all of a sudden. It stands to reason that there are the next ten years worth of security holes still on the iPhone that have not been plugged.

Posted via CB10
    Address the flaws that nobody knows about? Ya that makes a whole lot of sense.

I don't think it's wise for folks on a Blackberry site to be tossing stoned about security exploits these days. Especially since Apple patched this immediately while blackberry still hasn't patched the major security flaw in the Android runtime that basically completely bypasses the work perimeter and app permissions.
    JeepBB, avt123 and Acidwire like this.
    02-22-14 01:34 PM
    Address the flaws that nobody knows about? Ya that makes a whole lot of sense.

I don't think it's wise for folks on a Blackberry site to be tossing stoned about security exploits these days. Especially since Apple patched this immediately while blackberry still hasn't patched the major security flaw in the Android runtime that basically completely bypasses the work perimeter and app permissions.
    How we know it was immediately? I read Nov 28th, which is nearly 3 months.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 02:10 PM
    So who cares then? It's fixed, why does it matter now?
    Kinda like how people still quote the BIS outage that was like 4 or 5 years ago...
    avt123 and CerveloJohn like this.
    02-22-14 02:12 PM
    Just like windows that most businesses use.
    And most of those Windows PCs are stationary, behind a firewall and lots of other security measures. Mobile devices don't always have that extra layer of protection.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-22-14 02:14 PM
    One just has to perform a Google search "IOS 7 security issues" to see the many problems since it's release, Apple is known to release with issues, when IOS 7 was released I had three updates in one week on my iPad.

Z30 on 10.2.1.537 in Canada
    02-22-14 02:19 PM
    That's fine, but the comment to which you refer was describing people with top secret info, not your average iPhone user.
    Both groups are vulnerable to this bad implementation of accepted security standards. You're splitting hairs ...
    grover5 likes this.
    02-22-14 02:19 PM
    That wasn't the commenter's claim.
    Yes it was. The person I quoted was basically saying that because they don't connect to unsecured networks that it isn't an issue for anyone.

Posted via CB10
    grover5 likes this.
    02-22-14 02:29 PM
    For me it seemed pretty clear given the recent news that the USAF was

But, the truth is: BlackBerry needs to jump on security issues like this to show that they are still a level above iOS and Android in security.

The BlackBerry OS's were built from the ground up with security in mind. People are going to find that it's not so easy (if not impossible) to retrofit an OS that was designed and built for CONSUMERS into an OS appropriate for high security regulated industries.

You can't just "add a security app" or add a "security layer". If only it were that simple

Security needs to be a primary design and architectural focus in the development of an OS from its very inception. It simply cannot be an afterthought that you add later.

Security may be a big reason why BB10 was delayed. They (BlackBerry engineers) would have had to dig deep into the QNX source to bring it up to par (although QNX has always been a modular microkernal OS used in realtime mission critical applications like nuclear reactors, unlike the monolithic kernels of iOS and Android that traded purity of architecture for consumer experience).

Unlike Apple and Samsung-Android (with Knox), BB10 had no worries of backwards compatability to worry about. This is a big benefit: They didn't have to worry that changes they made to QNX to make it more secure would break older BB10 apps, since there were no 'legacy' BB10 apps to 'break' at that point.

For Apple or Google to recode iOS or Android to be security-focused (versus consumer-focused) at this point could (and almost certianly would) have deep and unpredictable effects on their legacy software ecosystems.

Posted via CB10
    Most people don't care that much about security, The only important information I ever give out on a mobile device is credit card number, which at least has some built in protection, and the risk of it getting stolen from my phone is far less than it being stolen from my bank or a retailer like Target. Fact is most individuals don't need the level of security you mention. And most organizations should simply forbid the transmittal of sensitive information over insecure networks.
    02-22-14 02:31 PM
    Most people don't care that much about security, The important information I ever give out on a mobile device is credit card number, which at least has some built in protection, and the risk of it getting stolen from my phone is far less than it being stolen from my bank or a retailer like Target.
    Yeah they don't care till something happens then it's too little too late!

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 02:35 PM
    But they only revealed the issue once they fixed it, right? Or am I mistaken? Because if the issue was indeed a major one, and they kept it quiet for their own good, I would - as a company or government - be very sceptical towards Apple products going forward. It's not like hackers wouldn't find out anyway..

Posted via CB10
    Only a moron would reveal an exploitable security weakness *before* having implemented a fix. Apple isn't run by morons.
    02-22-14 02:48 PM
    Only a moron would reveal an exploitable security weakness *before* having implemented a fix. Apple isn't run by morons.
    It's revealed and unfixed on OS X...
    BCITMike and grover5 like this.
    02-22-14 02:58 PM
    It's trying to be one of those threads where blackberry haz expert pros security while everyone else doesn't.
    Oh, you mean as opposed to this, which was reported on a number of different sites, such as Cellular News?

Bangladesh Operators Ordered to Stop BlackBerry Services

Published on: 22nd Feb 2014

Bangladesh s telecoms regulator has ordered two of the country s mobile networks to stop offering BlackBerry email services

The BTRC instructed Grameenphone and Airtel to stop the service used by around 6,300 customers as the security services are unable to monitor the encrypted emails sent by the mobile phones.
    02-22-14 03:00 PM
    Here's a test site that you can check your browsers against. The owner set up this port to be signed with a different key than the certs it presents. If your SSL security is implemented correctly, you'll get an SSL error from this link. Unpatched Apple users should be able to get to the site.

https://www.imperialviolet.org:1266/

I tested on Z10, PlayBook and a Nexus 4 and all caught the mismatch.
    kbz1960 and grover5 like this.
    02-22-14 03:05 PM
122 1234 ...