Apple says security flaw could allow hackers to beat iPhone encryption - Yahoo Finance

More evidence that Blackberry is the gold standard in security and will be for a long while to come.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-14 08:03 PM
    It's for Android too.

Have no idea if it's related to WebKit but if it is, BB10 could have the same bug as well.
    jiminica likes this.
    02-21-14 08:08 PM
    And an update was released today to address the issue. What does this have to do with Blackberry again?
    TgeekB, JeepBB, MERCDROID and 3 others like this.
    02-21-14 08:22 PM
    More news like this should help Blackberry maintain its status as the provider of choice for security-conscious enterprises. Every data point that shows the relative insecurity of competitors helps solidify this status and will help BBRY stabilize as JC works towards a long term turnaround.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-14 08:46 PM
    And an update was released today to address the issue. What does this have to do with Blackberry again?
    It's trying to be one of those threads where blackberry haz expert pros security while everyone else doesn't.
    02-21-14 08:46 PM
    It's for Android too.

Have no idea if it's related to WebKit but if it is, BB10 could have the same bug as well.
    Any link with Android info?
    02-21-14 09:29 PM
    Kinda what I was wondering as well - iOS 7.0.6 and 6.1.6 for iPhone and iPad released, go get your bug fixes! [Update: Apple TV too!] | iMore
    MERCDROID likes this.
    02-21-14 09:33 PM
    Any link with Android info?
    Nevermind, I read my source incorrectly. Just apple being jack asses and not having proper host name verification...
    CrackberryQ likes this.
    02-21-14 10:04 PM
    Apple says security flaw could allow hackers to beat iPhone encryption - Yahoo Finance

More evidence that Blackberry is the gold standard in security and will be for a long while to come.

Posted via CB10
    The article doesn't mention BBRY, so I'm not sure how it proves anything about BBRY. It's certainly evidence that Apple releases software with significant security risks, but that's not the same thing as proving another vendor is the "gold standard" of anything.
    02-21-14 10:49 PM
    For me it seemed pretty clear given the recent news that the USAF was dropping BlackBerry for Apple and Android since they (the USAF) apparently feel Apple and Android security is adequate for the military.

It's like a rotted piece of bread: you notice the mold and cut out what you see on the surface at the time with ad-hoc 'point bug fixes', but that doesn't solve the foundational issues that exist deep inside the core. It's like like treating the visible symptoms of a problem, rather than the cause.

However, the OP definitely could have made his/her point more explicit, and I can easily understand how anyone could miss the relevance. On the surface I can see how it could sound like nothing more than a case of sour grapes against Apple.

But, the truth is: BlackBerry needs to jump on security issues like this to show that they are still a level above iOS and Android in security.

The BlackBerry OS's were built from the ground up with security in mind. People are going to find that it's not so easy (if not impossible) to retrofit an OS that was designed and built for CONSUMERS into an OS appropriate for high security regulated industries.

You can't just "add a security app" or add a "security layer". If only it were that simple

Security needs to be a primary design and architectural focus in the development of an OS from its very inception. It simply cannot be an afterthought that you add later.

Security may be a big reason why BB10 was delayed. They (BlackBerry engineers) would have had to dig deep into the QNX source to bring it up to par (although QNX has always been a modular microkernal OS used in realtime mission critical applications like nuclear reactors, unlike the monolithic kernels of iOS and Android that traded purity of architecture for consumer experience).

Unlike Apple and Samsung-Android (with Knox), BB10 had no worries of backwards compatability to worry about. This is a big benefit: They didn't have to worry that changes they made to QNX to make it more secure would break older BB10 apps, since there were no 'legacy' BB10 apps to 'break' at that point.

For Apple or Google to recode iOS or Android to be security-focused (versus consumer-focused) at this point could (and almost certianly would) have deep and unpredictable effects on their legacy software ecosystems.

And neither Apple or Google/Samsung can afford to lose backwards compatability with their ecosystems -- since their ecosystems are one of (if not their BIGGEST) advantages.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by mnc76; 02-22-14 at 03:34 AM.
    02-22-14 01:24 AM
    02-22-14 07:54 AM
    Go BlackBerry, grab the opportunity.... show what you got, the best security out there .......

Again... advertise please..... at least the security.

Posted via CB10
    royalbucks and georg4BB like this.
    02-22-14 08:08 AM
    So you have to be on an unsecured network? And the hacker has to be on that same unsecured network? How many people with top secret info use unsecured wifi networks to do their business? No matter the OS, I'm not doing banking or anything like that on an open unsecured wifi hotspot.
    02-22-14 08:10 AM
    In a society like the US, that values convenience and entertainment over security, this means absolutely nothing.

Posted via CB10
    rthonpm likes this.
    02-22-14 08:12 AM
    The issue no longer exists as others have already mentioned. Would have been more fitting if you posted this before anything was done about it, and if it had anything to do with BlackBerry.
    JeepBB, MERCDROID and TgeekB like this.
    02-22-14 08:17 AM
    The security topic has been mentioned for a couple of years now but it doesn't seem to have helped anything.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    kbz1960 and MERCDROID like this.
    02-22-14 08:52 AM
    The security topic has been mentioned for a couple of years now but it doesn't seem to have helped anything.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    Well not too long ago in 2001 the people appreciated BlackBerry even more so when no other device was able to work due to the crisis that developed. Let's hope that there are no more crises as with USAF now using apple there is no guarantee that they will get the message!

One would think with BlackBerry Paratek, QNX combo that this would have been their obvious choice.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 09:09 AM
    The issue no longer exists as others have already mentioned. Would have been more fitting if you posted this before anything was done about it, and if it had anything to do with BlackBerry.
    But they only revealed the issue once they fixed it, right? Or am I mistaken? Because if the issue was indeed a major one, and they kept it quiet for their own good, I would - as a company or government - be very sceptical towards Apple products going forward. It's not like hackers wouldn't find out anyway..

Posted via CB10
    georg4BB likes this.
    02-22-14 09:17 AM
    Well not too long ago in 2001 the people appreciated BlackBerry even more so when no other device was able to work due to the crisis that developed. Let's hope that there are no more crises as with USAF now using apple there is no guarantee that they will get the message!

One would think with BlackBerry Paratek, QNX combo that this would have been their obvious choice.

Posted via CB10
    A lot has changed since 2001.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    02-22-14 09:24 AM
    But they only revealed the issue once they fixed it, right? Or am I mistaken? Because if the issue was indeed a major one, and they kept it quiet for their own good, I would - as a company or government - be very sceptical towards Apple products going forward. It's not like hackers wouldn't find out anyway..

Posted via CB10
    So who cares then? It's fixed, why does it matter now?
    02-22-14 09:53 AM

Posted via CB10
    You think they should advertise to criminals that there is a hole in their customers' phones that hasn't been fixed yet?

I do agree with you, though, that the fact that Apple let this out the door in the first place shows how much less seriously Apple takes web security. This has been a repeated issue with them. If I were buying phones for an enterprise, I would definitely take that into account.

I wonder if the Good browser was affected by this flaw?

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    02-22-14 10:03 AM
    Well apparently the article does state that although the fix was posted, the flaw still exists on some devices. So I don't think it's fully resolved on all devices, unless the article is false

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 10:13 AM
    Yeah but it doesn't address the countless flaws nobody has brought to their attention yet. This is evidenced by the fact that about every six months or so apple is plugging another huge security hole all of a sudden. It stands to reason that there are the next ten years worth of security holes still on the iPhone that have not been plugged.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 11:26 AM
    A lot has changed since 2001.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    Yeah so has BlackBerry it's improved by leaps and bounds including maintaining their security measures. Alas even USAF wants to have gaming apps on their devices, let's hope that they aren't playing angry birds,should there be an issue arising.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 11:38 AM
    Jesus, The petty bickering that goes on here when someone mentions apple is getting old.
    JeepBB, elmit22, strongo and 2 others like this.
    02-22-14 11:39 AM
122 123 ...