how the **** is ZDNet calling Blackberry the underdog???????????? RIM is in third place. Microsoft is behind. Sentiment suddenly becomes market share and sales figures??????????????????????
    Good point. As to the original post, the demand for Apple's flagship device is beginning to fall as people are realising it is a 4S in a nicer package and they are checking out other devices. I was in a VZW store today and took a look around. WP8 was way slow to wake up. SGIII was sharp, but all over the place. IP5 was a little less manic.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    01-14-13 03:57 PM
    Good point. As to the original post, the demand for Apple's flagship device is beginning to fall as people are realising it is a 4S in a nicer package and they are checking out other devices. I was in a VZW store today and took a look around. WP8 was way slow to wake up. SGIII was sharp, but all over the place. IP5 was a little less manic.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Or just an iPhone4 is going to do what they need at a much reduced cost (Verizon had it for free on new 2-Year contracts). I know a number of people that have upgraded their dumb phones to iPhones4's just in the last month. This hurts iPhone5 sales and to a degree Apple's bottom line. But we will really have to see Apple's quarterly report to see how sales of both the iPhone4 and the iPhone5 are going.

I sure hope RIM has a device close to launch that can compete price wise with the iPhone4 and all the sub $100 Android devices out there. Premium devices are great talking points, but for a large number of sales and for expanding their marketshare RIM is going to need devices that "cheap".
    01-14-13 04:32 PM
    01-14-13 04:50 PM
    I do not understand this WP versus BB 10. Why would either one go after such a small customer base? They wouldn't its just smoke and mirrors. they are both trying to peel of apple and android users. There is plenty there. If any thing WP and BB 10 should be working in coordination, not together just in coordination. The way google is acting up a bit and how apple always acts BB and WP should just make sure they are on the same page because once again 3 place is way down there and not worth fighting over right now.
    xiaohuaxing and anjali_jain like this.
    01-14-13 05:08 PM
    Is this part of that anti-Apple conspiracy I've been hearing so much about? :-)
    Did the anti-BlackBerry conspiracy give birth?
    01-14-13 06:48 PM
    (just a reminder to read the first post before you comment. I didn't foresee that outcome, but it does expose the need for some to revise their "comment first, read what exactly it is you're commenting on later if at all" approach.)
    I really have a hard time believing that people actually do this, but here's evidence.

I normally read at least the first 10 posts before commenting and it never occurred to me that some people read none, not even the OP.

I can't help but wonder if that's a reason why we had so many threads gone bad...
    Jake Storm likes this.
    01-14-13 06:54 PM
    I'm sure Apple will be back in the swing of things with a more up to date phone with the iPhone 6. As we all know, the last few models have been deal busters....

This may seem like a "troll" but that isn't my intention...
    01-14-13 07:03 PM
    No, I don't think Apple will ever become an undisputed number 1 again, at all. I am not saying they will become a basement dweller, but their time is up.

Here is why; 1. They shot themselves in the foot repeatedly and boastfully. You can't brag about how amazing your device is, and have an alternate version. That means you were wrong, period. They had some commercial showing how the new screen size makes sense, that means they were wrong or cheap for all those years in the past.

2. Fool me once.....I don't know why people are so dumb do buy things because it says retina display, but its no longer amazing when everyone has it. If your ipad, and phone both have it, and there are other phones with higher res displays, your retina display is now name brand mediocrity.

3. Parents use it, and now it isn't cool. The iphone was born, because phones were too complex. Now mom has an iphone 45 and gramps has an iphone 3gs.....I don't want to play words with friends with you, go away. Kids will naturally want to be close to their family, and then of course, naturally rebel. Happens in technology, fashion, sex, religion....just about anything

4. They alienated their own consumer base. They already don't use micro usb...forcing you to carry 2 cables with you, if you have anything besides Apple products. Now, if you have an older iphone/pad/pod.....and buy a new iphone/pad, your accessories won't work anymore. Plus, the "lightening connector" isn't any faster, just go to micro usb if you wanted to make the ideal change, and then keep it that way.

5. They are no longer the leader....of anything. Other companies are making sleeker, more powerful devices, all of the time. Apple can't keep up, it is just impossible to sustain such heights for so long. Also, while their old devices still work well, they are shunned by Apple Fanatics, even the best priced newest product (16GB) device, can get you roasted, people will call you an orphan unless you pony up an extra hundred or two, for 32-64 GB's you might not ever really use.

And of yeah, RIm is going to out iphone the iphone. You wanted things simple, just one button? How about this, no buttons BIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    01-14-13 07:12 PM
    You know, the iPhone is a really good product. I'm not being sarcastic. The Smartphone paradigm wouldn't be what it is today without the iPhone.

But don't forget... the iPhone wouldn't exist without BlackBerry. NEVER forget that. Apple wanted a piece of what BlackBerry was doing.

What I don't fully understand is: why did so many aspects of the iPhone come to Apple first, one device release after another? I mean, did Apple "invent" a display with 326 dots per inch, or did they just get wind of it when some supplier said to them "You know, we can now make screens with 326 dots per inch" and then someone at apple said "Really? How much?" and then the supplier said "if you buy 10,000,000, $44 each!" then apple said "Ok, that's good let's design a device with that screen!".

Samsung can sit there after Apple proved that a really expensive device with super high-res touch screen will sell, then go make a device with a super high res touch screen running a mobile phone operating system that they didn't have to write themselves, using a commodity CPU and other components, and rake in the cash... but they didn't have the B*LLS to do it first, themselves. Giving Samsung any credit for innovation in mobile devices aside from the Galaxy Note is just silly... but even then the Dell Streak 5 was the first "phablet" and Dell took a lot of ribbing for it, but after the Moto Droid with 3.5" screen came out, then Android devices started getting bigger, and bigger, and now every Android manufacturer makes a 4.5" or greater device (in addition to other sizes / power levels). Then the Galaxy Note comes out with a slightly larger 5" screen and the S-Pen. That device could have flopped, but it's only 1 device out of the dozens Samsung makes... but it turned out to be a success... so congrats to Samsung on the Galaxy Note, something to be proud of, but everything else, including the SIII, is just copied (and so is whatever 10 billion dots per inch all singing all dancing thing you or LG or HTC or ZTE or Motorola come up with next).

So, the Galaxy Note was innovative despite being an Android product, and iOS was innovative on its own merits, but did Apple INNOVATE in creating the iPhone, or did they just have the B*LLs to put a device with a touch screen and high end EVERYTHING in it and see if it would sell?

The software was an Innovation, but the hardware doesn't seem to be innovative, just an assembly of technologies that other people invented and Apple assembled and then designed a really good OS for.

...but just because something isn't innovative doesn't mean it's not good. Pancakes with maple syrup and butter: not innovative. But GOOD. Add vanilla ice cream. Still not innovative. but GOOD. Add blueberries! KEEPS GETTING BETTER. Not innovative. BUT GOOD!

I believe that RIM has innovated in the past with the BlackBerry handheld line, and is innovating again with the BB10 software and the QNX platform and strategy.

I believe that there isn't a lot more room to innovate on iOS. Really, the entire architecture seems to be built up to a limit that more dots per inch can't fix.

If you ask me, the catchphrase for BB10 should be:

Innovation times B*lls to the power of 10
    Last edited by lorax1284; 01-14-13 at 11:05 PM.
    01-14-13 10:48 PM
    Don't blame the tech blogs, blame the stock analysts who demand 100% year on year shipments growth, and slash their price estimates if their ridiculous targets are not reached. Apple cannot realistically grow at the pace they have over the past decade because no one company is capable of churning out hit products forever. Once this hysteria passes, the stock price will stabilize. You are dramatically overestimating the impact of blogs on device sales performance.
    This "hysteria" is the reason the stock price is ridiculous right now to start with. Trading at over 5 times book value during 2012 for a company that hasn't put out anything original in almost 6 years since the first iPhone (and can we even really call that LG Prada clone "original"?). You are right, it should stabilize, closer to a $380-440 range.
    01-14-13 11:25 PM
    This thread is awesome. It made me laugh. I especially like the tagline Lorax1284 came up with:
    Dapper37, Barljo and 00stryder like this.
    01-14-13 11:33 PM
    I admit that the statement in the Topic Title is totally not supported by the text at this link

Also, I made you look. to all you tools that write provocative subject lines then can't back it up with the content of your post, how do YOU like it?
    Interesting, the thread below was posted hours before market open, guess what, it happened just as the thread said it would.
    Now if you happen to be an apple investor I suggest you take it up with them, as I'm not sure your thread will change the future.
    Jan 30 2013 the deck chairs get shuffled!
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...r-here-762303/
    01-15-13 12:44 AM
    It's part of the media lining up behind RIM, no worries, they will have it razor sharp soon enough, this is the incubator stage, as long as they are all coming onside that's fine,details will get sorted out.

how the **** is ZDNet calling Blackberry the underdog???????????? RIM is in third place. Microsoft is behind. Sentiment suddenly becomes market share and sales figures??????????????????????
    01-15-13 01:01 AM
    Apple sales are down directly because RIM's new devices are coming soon Correlation....not causation.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-15-13 01:07 AM
    It looks like the decline in Apple has started earlier that I was expecting.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    01-15-13 01:08 AM
    I think we give these blogs too much power IMO
    01-15-13 01:39 AM
    It's been said for some time but them the apple fund managers would chime in with rosy outlooks to dwarf the whispers,lol. Well it's not whispers anymore. The media has found their new darling, I present BB10.

It looks like the decline in Apple has started earlier that I was expecting.
    01-15-13 01:42 AM
    I think we give these blogs too much power IMO
    Social speak, nothing wrong there. The bad blogs don't get read,again social speak, with their keyboards.

It's the power of independent choice, we all have choices.
    01-15-13 01:46 AM
    Apple sales are down directly because RIM's new devices are coming soon Correlation....not causation.
    Why could it not be causation? If somebody was thinking of purchasing an iphone and before purchase heard about BB10 and as such decided to wait for BB10, then one less iphone sale would be causation of that one purchase decline. Might be more to the OP thread title yet.
    01-15-13 01:53 AM
    You know, the iPhone is a really good product. I'm not being sarcastic. The Smartphone paradigm wouldn't be what it is today without the iPhone.

But don't forget... the iPhone wouldn't exist without BlackBerry. NEVER forget that. Apple wanted a piece of what BlackBerry was doing.

What I don't fully understand is: why did so many aspects of the iPhone come to Apple first, one device release after another? I mean, did Apple "invent" a display with 326 dots per inch, or did they just get wind of it when some supplier said to them "You know, we can now make screens with 326 dots per inch" and then someone at apple said "Really? How much?" and then the supplier said "if you buy 10,000,000, $44 each!" then apple said "Ok, that's good let's design a device with that screen!".

Samsung can sit there after Apple proved that a really expensive device with super high-res touch screen will sell, then go make a device with a super high res touch screen running a mobile phone operating system that they didn't have to write themselves, using a commodity CPU and other components, and rake in the cash... but they didn't have the B*LLS to do it first, themselves. Giving Samsung any credit for innovation in mobile devices aside from the Galaxy Note is just silly... but even then the Dell Streak 5 was the first "phablet" and Dell took a lot of ribbing for it, but after the Moto Droid with 3.5" screen came out, then Android devices started getting bigger, and bigger, and now every Android manufacturer makes a 4.5" or greater device (in addition to other sizes / power levels). Then the Galaxy Note comes out with a slightly larger 5" screen and the S-Pen. That device could have flopped, but it's only 1 device out of the dozens Samsung makes... but it turned out to be a success... so congrats to Samsung on the Galaxy Note, something to be proud of, but everything else, including the SIII, is just copied (and so is whatever 10 billion dots per inch all singing all dancing thing you or LG or HTC or ZTE or Motorola come up with next).

So, the Galaxy Note was innovative despite being an Android product, and iOS was innovative on its own merits, but did Apple INNOVATE in creating the iPhone, or did they just have the B*LLs to put a device with a touch screen and high end EVERYTHING in it and see if it would sell?

The software was an Innovation, but the hardware doesn't seem to be innovative, just an assembly of technologies that other people invented and Apple assembled and then designed a really good OS for.

...but just because something isn't innovative doesn't mean it's not good. Pancakes with maple syrup and butter: not innovative. But GOOD. Add vanilla ice cream. Still not innovative. but GOOD. Add blueberries! KEEPS GETTING BETTER. Not innovative. BUT GOOD!

I believe that RIM has innovated in the past with the BlackBerry handheld line, and is innovating again with the BB10 software and the QNX platform and strategy.

I believe that there isn't a lot more room to innovate on iOS. Really, the entire architecture seems to be built up to a limit that more dots per inch can't fix.

If you ask me, the catchphrase for BB10 should be:

Nice analogy budz, I read this and it makes me think that RIM will regain the dominance that it once enjoyed in the market! like its been bestowed upon them as a natural evelution of things. Simalar to the way China will become the world largest economy once again! The 100 year industrial revolution was the anomaly.
    The original "ME TOO's" of the smart phone world, apple and android will fall back, as what they had was simply an anomaly.
    01-15-13 02:04 AM
    Ah, but RIM was the one people were suggesting would be on its deathbed by now. Serious share price decline, loads of missteps in the media, no indication then that BB10 would shape up to be really impressive.
    Nobody ever expected Microsoft to fold anytime in the next 10 years...and nobody expects Microsoft will give up on their mobile efforts for a long time.

So that's why RIM was the underdog here...the one they'd written off.
    01-15-13 03:29 AM
    Apple sales are down because more and more people are discovering other competitive options out there that can give them the phone experience that they are seeking. I would not attribute it to the new BB10, as it is not even on the market yet.
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-15-13 04:23 AM
    Apple sales are down because more and more people are discovering other competitive options out there that can give them the phone experience that they are seeking. I would not attribute it to the new BB10, as it is not even on the market yet.
    Facepalm...
    01-15-13 05:17 AM
    The NY Times this a.m. reported that the reduced orders of screens for the iPhone 5 were likely attributable to the lower demand for the iPhone outside of the U.S., where there are no carrier subsidies and not everyone can afford ponying up $650 for an iPhone. Hence, they opt for lower-cost Androids. LOL at the thread title, though.

Worry Over Sales Spurs Talk of Cheaper iPhones
    01-15-13 06:37 AM
    AAPL $501.75 -18.55 -3.57%
    Apple CAPS Rating:
    NOK $4.62 -0.08 -1.70%
    Nokia CAPS Rating:
    RIMM $14.95 +1.39 +10.25%
    Research In Motion� CAPS Rating:
    01-15-13 07:12 AM
79 1234