You can't store purchased apps on the memory card for security reasons. This limits the number of apps on your device since apps can only be stored on the device itself.
    This may not be true actually, Android allows apps on the memory card and RIM has said nothing about it yet. But even so, 16GB of apps seems pretty excessive. I would wager the vast majority of people's storage will be made up of videos.
    01-29-13 11:21 AM
    This may not be true actually, Android allows apps on the memory card and RIM has said nothing about it yet. But even so, 16GB of apps seems pretty excessive. I would wager the vast majority of people's storage will be made up of videos.
    Many games take up about 1 to 2GB each. Plus it is easy to have a couple of GB's for books. In theory you can fill 16GB of apps pretty quickly.

For security reasons, bank apps and other apps that store confidential info cannot be stored on any memory card and purchased apps cannot either (this prevents piracy). If I was a developer and knew that my $2 app can be copied onto a memory card on any platform, I would not write for that platform. Google prefers free ad-infested apps because that's why the Android platform exists (spread Google ads).

Those apps can be moved freely about.
    blacksea07 likes this.
    01-29-13 11:34 AM
    thanks for including the link...just CYA type of thing
    Barljo and spyeagle like this.
    01-29-13 11:43 AM
    Many games take up about 1 to 2GB each. Plus it is easy to have a couple of GB's for books. In theory you can fill 16GB of apps pretty quickly.

For security reasons, bank apps and other apps that store confidential info cannot be stored on any memory card and purchased apps cannot either (this prevents piracy). If I was a developer and knew that my $2 app can be copied onto a memory card on any platform, I would not write for that platform. Google prefers free ad-infested apps because that's why the Android platform exists (spread Google ads).

Those apps can be moved freely about.
    Well yes, granted, it can be done in theory, and yes certain apps will remain on the device, but I doubt that the 16GB limitation will become a major issue anytime soon. As I said, the primary space-waster for most people I know is videos, and those can all go on the memory card. I guess we'll see though, in the worst-case scenario I'm sure RIM will release a version with more storage.
    01-29-13 11:51 AM
    This is a big yawn, who cares?
    416to604 likes this.
    01-29-13 11:58 AM
    To the OP, just because a company is competing with RIM doesn't mean you have to hate them soo much. That's the way life goes my friend, so grow up and deal with it.
    Concur. I have both Blackberry and Apple products and am quite pleased with both. My wife has an iPhone and an iPad, and she's pleased with both. Companies compete with each other. That said, I seriously doubt the memory upgrade for the latest iPad had anything to do with the upcoming release of BB 10.
    Shlooky likes this.
    01-29-13 12:05 PM
    Never mind them , its just so that they can patent it, "mobile device with squared corners and more than 120gb of ss internal storage", then splash in their website, "re-engineered ipad with 128gb of storage, first of its kind, apple leading with innovation".
    01-29-13 12:12 PM
    big deal, not gonna stop me from BB10,and my PB has 64 and if that ever not enough I have another 16g.
    01-29-13 12:15 PM
    Who The **** cares about crappad 128gb ? They're mostly afraid of Surface Pro that should come at Feb 8th (or 9th)
    01-29-13 12:18 PM
    The app devs could easily make it so the main game executable is on the device but store the game data on the SD card. Along the same vein it only makes sense for an E-book app to store the books on the SD card.

Really, with the availability of SD cards, not having an SD slot is almost unforgivable now a days.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    01-29-13 12:22 PM
    One has to wonder when and if apple will ever allow an SD card or expandable memory as an "option". One would think that would be an easy upgrade and make the ipad way more flexible. Still people seem content to buy some peripheral cord and device to be able to do that. Now with that said, if RIM launches a new tablet I hope to god they have some type of memory slot on it this time as well! Funny how people will pay more for things but get less. Tablets do less and are not as conenient as laptops but we have to have them!!! Same as phones, sure watching a movie while travelling is fine once in a while but do I really want that as my only device? Oh yes, I have my phone. We are going backwards in terms of hard drive capacity and processor speed but seem to think convenience trumps it all. Batteries dummies, we need a major breakthrough in battery technology to really sail into the future!!!! At least apple is getting no free media response today. No mention on any news I am watching...not snappy enough apple, should have made it thinner and lighter!!!
    01-29-13 12:29 PM
    To the OP, just because a company is competing with RIM doesn't mean you have to hate them soo much. That's the way life goes my friend, so grow up and deal with it.
    The OP must have been a terrible classmate in school where friendly competition used to be encouraged. "Teacher! Teacher! Tommy scored higher on his geography test. I don't like Tommy. Please punish Tommy."
    Shlooky and blacksea07 like this.
    01-29-13 12:41 PM
    Irrelevant. Barely anyone needs/wants/will buy a 128 GB iPad with no other spec bumps. Office 13 is a bigger launch story by far.
    01-29-13 12:43 PM
    Along the same vein it only makes sense for an E-book app to store the books on the SD card.
    Every publisher would love you to buy an ebook and be able to move it to any device on earth.

Really, with the availability of SD cards, not having an SD slot is almost unforgivable now a days.
    That's what they said about floppy drives, CD drives and even DVD drives.
    01-29-13 12:52 PM
    Every publisher would love you to buy an ebook and be able to move it to any device on earth.
    Why not? I can download a book to my computer... I can buy a real book and give it to whomever I want. How would putting a purchased item on an SD card be any worse?
    01-29-13 01:10 PM
    RIM laughs at your overpriced hardware
    WILL Apple also increase the price of their Macbook's as to not be deemed inferior in quality
    NOT give a duck about Apple product rerelease including underpowered minis and price gouging storage increases
    LOSE is the only thing Apple has left to do, the pedestal is high, so it will be a long slow descent.
    Last edited by crackcookie; 01-29-13 at 03:36 PM.
    taz323 and lynxs_claw like this.
    01-29-13 01:23 PM
    I blinked. Is the 256gb released yet? 128 obsolete?
    01-29-13 01:27 PM
    Relax. The 2 year old PlayBook outsold the new iPad in the UK. I don't think we have anything to worry about. Apple is going down the drain, and just grabbing at last chances
    01-29-13 01:31 PM
    Is apple going to claim...first tablet with 128GB of memory?

Hope not because the Surface beat them to it.
    01-29-13 01:32 PM
    i read about this and yawned earlier on my way into work. maybe it was because i hadn't had my awake tea, maybe it was because no phucks were given...
    01-29-13 01:40 PM
    This reminds me of when the montreal canadiens had 'patrick roy night' the day before montreal hosted the 2008 grey cup. An effort to steal headlines.
    Petty
    01-29-13 01:41 PM
    lmao. i would be SO pissed if i bought a new iPad and then a new new iPad because i thought i would have to wait for a year for the 128gb.

i think the only reason for 128gb tablet is because iPad needs all the apps to do basic web stuff and because you cant stream videos you need to put them on the harddrive.

I took an 8 hr bus ride to ottawa in the summer and the bus had wifi... i watched the olympic opening ceremonies (which i did have on the harddrive) and then stream two movies... total space on harddrive was 4GB (HD version of ceremony) with the movies it would have been over 10GB.

My cousin has all kinds of tv network apps installed on her ipad to allow her to watch videos from their websites. they total to over 1GB (it isnt a lot, but it also isnt necessary if you own a flash playing tablet).

You also have to consider the fact that the 128GB is needed bc there is no sd card slot. at $800 plus tax this is crazy. you can but a 16gb tablet for half that much and buy two 64gb sd cards for under $100, then you have 140GB for around $500...
    01-29-13 01:41 PM
    Why not? I can download a book to my computer... I can buy a real book and give it to whomever I want. How would putting a purchased item on an SD card be any worse?
    The difference in electronic media is that you can give it to EVERYONE on the planet by posting on a website. It's called copyright infringement vs fair use.

Besides, removable storage devices are becoming a thing of the past thanks to bigger chips and cloud services. You have to skate to where the puck is going and not to where it is.

Within ten years, you will be holding a 200 TB device in your hand.
    Will you still be using an SD card then?
    01-29-13 01:42 PM
    apple is trying anything they can to get people to talk about them and less aabout rim:
    there products suck:they still cant supoort flash
    01-29-13 01:53 PM
    The difference in electronic media is that you can give it to EVERYONE on the planet by posting on a website. It's called copyright infringement vs fair use.

Besides, removable storage devices are becoming a thing of the past thanks to bigger chips and cloud services. You have to skate to where the puck is going and not to where it is.

Within ten years, you will be holding a 200 TB device in your hand.
    Will you still be using an SD card then?
    Regardless of where storage is going, my point was, I can download a book to my computer as a PDF and send it wherever I want, or print it, or whatever. Music and movies have copyright laws too yet I can store them wherever I want, including my sd card.
    01-29-13 01:56 PM
100 1234