Once again Apple is playing in the mud and playing dirty tricks on RIM.

RIM accuses Apple of nano-SIM vote rigging

�Over the last few days we have observed a number of representatives from one company changing their affiliation over night� RIM wrote in the letter, submitted to the ETSI on Wednesday, �and registering to the meeting not representing their employer or any of their affiliates but representing a completely different company.� The company cites three Apple UK employees who have apparently registered as representatives of Bell Mobility, KT Corp. and SK Telekom, as well as a Vodafone D2 GmbH employee registered as Telekom Austria AG.

RIM�s concern, it appears, is that Apple and Vodafone are looking to gain extra votes when the nano-SIM designs are decided upon by ETSI members. The design Apple prefers � which is more readily backward compatible with existing microSIMs, though would require an adapter tray to actually fit into devices � is supposedly the preferred design of multiple European carriers as well.

apple is attempting to individually register six European Apple subsidiaries with the ETSI, again so as to grab more voting share. Currently the Finnish company holds the greatest individual voting power, but should Apple�s registration be approved each of the six subsidiaries would gain 45 votes of their own.

�As a consequence,� RIM wrote in its letter [.doc link] this week, �we kindly ask that neither shall a person of one company who is appointed to carry the votes of another company be entitled to cast a vote on behalf of that company, nor shall a person of one company who is registered in the place of a person from another company and appointed to cast a vote on behalf of that other company, be allowed to cast a vote on behalf of that company.�

Read here:
    RIM accuses Apple of nano-SIM vote rigging - SlashGear
    Jake2826 likes this.
    04-01-12 10:52 PM
    As of now Apple does not see RIM as a threat. Just wait if / till they become successful with bb10. Then they will be in apple's cross hairs.

Then we will see the full power of the dark side.
    04-01-12 11:35 PM
    As of now Apple does not see RIM as a threat. Just wait if / till they become successful with bb10. Then they will be in apple's cross hairs.

The Tech Media does not see RIM as a threat.

Apple isn't as stupid.
    04-02-12 01:57 AM
    No one sees RIM as a threat, relax.
    TrickyT likes this.
    04-02-12 02:06 AM
    Yes, take a deep breath and relax. This is mostly a fight between Apple and Nokia. The fact that RIM has chimed in is just good business, not a demonstration that anyone is playing dirty tricks on them. At the moment, RIM is really not on anyone's radar, other than the companies that may be interested in buying the company. BTW, you made the article text rather misleading by quoting pieces but cutting off the part where it names Nokia as the Finnish company....
    04-02-12 02:16 AM
    Apple is a very smart company. They know they dodged a bullet whn the media decided that rim would be the target of 2011/2012. Apple will do everything they can to eliminate rim, or to make rim a pawn in their attempt to eliminate android
    04-02-12 02:21 AM
    Apple is a very smart company. They know they dodged a bullet whn the media decided that rim would be the target of 2011/2012. Apple will do everything they can to eliminate rim, or to make rim a pawn in their attempt to eliminate android
    Do you honestly believe what you wrote? Apples one phone outsells all of RIMs devices put together. Apple didn't dodge any bullet. Even without the medias hate on RIM they are not a threat for Apple.

Plus Apples cash could buy RIM 10 times over if they really wanted to.

This is a fight between Apple and Nokia and RIM chimed in to keep their name relevant.
    04-02-12 06:17 AM
    Besides... this isn't Apple pulling a dirty trick on RIM. It's Apple pulling a dirty trick on everybody not on their side.
    Foreverup likes this.
    04-02-12 06:55 AM
    Apple is doing something in their own self interest, just as Nokia and RIM are doing. We can debate ethics on the matter all day, but at the end of it, this is what it comes down to.
    Laura Knotek and spike12 like this.
    04-02-12 07:20 AM
    LOL @ anyone seriously thinking that RIM could even remotely be considered a threat to Apple.
    04-02-12 07:30 AM
    All these jealous and envious posters need to get off Apples jock. Why not just worry if RIM is going to sink or swim in the coming months?
    04-02-12 10:58 AM
    LOL @ anyone seriously thinking that RIM could even remotely be considered a threat to Apple.
    Pretty laughable since RIM isn't even in the running for top OS or mobile devices.
    04-02-12 10:59 AM
    At this point do you really think Apple even knows who or what RIM even is? You can't be serious.
    04-02-12 11:01 AM
    Apple is well aware of RIM. RIM created this market (essentially) that they took over. RIM also has many many patents in this arena. Also, RIM is the only true competitor to Apple is business and government. It would be foolish to say that Apple ignores them. However, Apple is not threatened by them I would think.
    04-02-12 11:09 AM
    Besides... this isn't Apple pulling a dirty trick on RIM. It's Apple pulling a dirty trick on everybody not on their side.
    At least someone read the article before this thread turned into a RIM vs Apple argument.
    vic1928 likes this.
    04-02-12 11:32 AM
    At this point do you really think Apple even knows who or what RIM even is? You can't be serious.
    Riiiight. You seem to be an over sensitive iPhan.

------

RIM is pointing out Apple's devious antics, but Apple is doing this to get their way, and has nothing to do with RIM per se.
    TheScionicMan likes this.
    04-04-12 12:31 AM
    If you really believe this garbage about the media deciding RIM would be their target this year, you should get some help for that paranoid delusional complex. Apple did not dodge a bullet anymore than anyone is picking on RIM. Apple's present tense success and failures are of their own making, as are RIM's....
    vrs626 likes this.
    04-04-12 12:54 AM
    All these jealous and envious posters need to get off Apples jock. Why not just worry if RIM is going to sink or swim in the coming months?
    Are your really 15 years old or did you just never make it past that level of emotional maturity? Really classy job of keeping the language at the level of adults....
    kenshaw likes this.
    04-04-12 12:56 AM

The Tech Media does not see RIM as a threat.

Apple isn't as stupid.
    Unfortunately that isn't how it works. RIM is in the position it is currently in because it did not see Apple as a threat, and consequently did nothing about it when Apple did finally move into the smart phone market. Apple is smart enough to know that BB10 has the potential to disrupt iPhone's dominant market position. It makes perfect sense that they would do everything they can to weaken RIM's position before that threat actually launches.

Apple markets itself as this wonderful, magical, people-friendly company. While their products may be so, make no mistake about it, nobody attains the position Apple has by being Mr. Nice Guy. Their practices and maneuvering are as cut-throat as it gets; they will smartly do whatever they can to protect their position, something that RIM was woefully inadequate at five years ago. Hard to say if what the OP cited is actually an example of Apple targeting RIM, or Apple just protecting its interests against all competitors. But this is not paranoia, this is how large corporations work, and it's just a tiny sliver of everything that goes on in boardrooms, courtrooms and the floors of congress that most of us are completely unaware of.
    hpjrt and ALToronto like this.
    04-04-12 10:43 AM
    good company's always pay attention to other companies, and always must worry some. despite what all the people that are joking this comment are saying. Father owns an electrician company, and says, "I haven't stayed in business for over 30 years by making dumb decisions and being oblivious of competitors."
    04-04-12 11:02 AM
    I dont buy into the out to get you theory, but why wouldnt Apple want to bury RIM in there backyard then buy up all there patents at a discount? Do fight someone when they are strong or when they are weak? Weak of course. If I was Apple, I would bury them all.

RIM's secret weapon....DAS BOAT! lol
    04-04-12 11:02 AM
    I heard about the Nano Sim story a few week ago on a tech blog. You guys are missing the point here. The fuss is about which design does the next generation SIM card (Nano SIM) will took. Apple is trying to rig the vote so the SIM card would take their tray slot design which they had patented years ago. This mean big trouble for all other phone makers because they'll have to find a work around.

So recap, this is Apple playing DIRTY on everybody else, not just RIM.
    04-04-12 11:23 AM
    I heard about the Nano Sim story a few week ago on a tech blog. You guys are missing the point here. The fuss is about which design does the next generation SIM card (Nano SIM) will took. Apple is trying to rig the vote so the SIM card would take their tray slot design which they had patented years ago. This mean big trouble for all other phone makers because they'll have to find a work around.

So recap, this is Apple playing DIRTY on everybody else, not just RIM.
    Not true. Apple has promised to license the relevant patents to other companies on a royalty-free basis.

Apple offers royalty-free nano SIM patent license if approved by the ETSI | Ubergizmo
    04-04-12 12:57 PM
    I cant believe some people think Apple doesn't view RIM as a threat. This is business people. If i was selling soda at a gas station all people who are selling soda are a threat. Even the little girl with a lemon aid stand is a threat. Apple remembers the light years in the mid to late 90's. Any smart company will do almost anything to gain a small fraction of market share. Every last company in the world wants to be the one and only. At the end of the day it's all about profits.

I am not shocked at all about this. Apple is very smart well run operation. I would expect more of this stuff in the future.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    04-04-12 01:15 PM
    I cant believe some people think Apple doesn't view RIM as a threat. This is business people. If i was selling soda at a gas station all people who are selling soda are a threat. Even the little girl with a lemon aid stand is a threat. Apple remembers the light years in the mid to late 90's. Any smart company will do almost anything to gain a small fraction of market share. Every last company in the world wants to be the one and only. At the end of the day it's all about profits.

I am not shocked at all about this. Apple is very smart well run operation. I would expect more of this stuff in the future.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    You know what you have to do to threats right? Wipe em out. If you need help taking care of that little girl with the lemon aid stand. I know people that know people.

Not true. Apple has promised to license the relevant patents to other companies on a royalty-free basis.

Apple offers royalty-free nano SIM patent license if approved by the ETSI | Ubergizmo
    Yeah but in order for it to be free. Apple's demanding licenses to Nokia's key patents in return.
    04-04-12 02:01 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD