Is Apple the New Research In Motion? - AAPL, MSFT, RIMM - Foolish Blogging Network

Even Rene at iMore recently admitted that iOS is an ageing OS and there is no major update around the corner.
    This may all be a bit overstated about Apple, but the cracks in the evil empire are certainly starting to show.
    Go RIM. Go BB10.
    01-24-13 02:54 PM
    The end of a life cycle, and the beginning of a new one! Go RIM! Maybe RIM has to reconsider whether BB10 is THE mobile computing platform for the next 10 years. Perhaps it's more like 5 before they have to come up with something fresh or they could end up in the same position that BBOS put them in as the competition passed through them faster than a F1 vehicle!
    01-24-13 03:06 PM
    No, not in the slightest realm of imagination.
    They are still 'by far' the tech aspiration brand. Their sales are fantastic, record sales & eps. The only reason the stock dropped at all is the unrealistic expectations of growth from investors. I still think that it is an amazing buy.
    Ya, it is a stale OS for those of us in tech who have seen it for year. There are still a large portion of the market who haven't ever used it so it is fresh to them, has all the apps, and their friends gush over it. Apple isn't going anywhere.
    01-24-13 03:07 PM
    It's nothing but unrealistic expectations. I read somewhere they expect to sell 43-45 BILLION worth of product next quarter, but the ANALysts had forecasted 45.6 I think. Really, at those stupendous sums does it even make a difference anymore?
    kevinnugent likes this.
    01-24-13 03:13 PM
    Yes, Apple is the new RIM
    wazzugrad likes this.
    01-24-13 03:13 PM
    RIM is dead, long live RIM.
    Apple is dead, good riddance.
    01-24-13 03:30 PM
    better question...

is RIM the new APPLE?
    z1nsane and peter9477 like this.
    01-24-13 03:37 PM
    Funny you should say that, as I was literally just thinking the exact same thing. Their mindset is much the same as what got RIM to where they are now... "we know what's best for the customer, so we're not going to listen to a damn thing they are telling us". Meanwhile they are falling further and further behind their competition, until one day their customers are going to turn on them and no longer believe their bs marketing. It's starting to happen now and could snowball quickly.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    01-24-13 03:41 PM
    Apple has begun their decline in the smartphone industry, yes. As the industry continues to push the boundaries of modern technology, Apple is sitting at the sidelines twiddling their thumbs, with the same belief that brought RIM down in the first place: "Why do we need all those fancy features? Our product works just fine." The question is whether or not they've realized it, because it's certainly not too late to reverse things with relatively little pain. Even at their current pace, I reckon the iPhone has about two years before Apple is relegated to a similar status in the public's mind as RIM has been recently - Apple has invested massively in marketing, and it'll take some time for people to wake up and smell the coffee. But if Apple realizes the problem at this stage in time, they can very easily bounce back. The iPhone 5S/6 should be a good indicator of whether or not Apple is aware of the problem.
    01-24-13 05:31 PM
    Apple has begun their decline in the smartphone industry, yes. As the industry continues to push the boundaries of modern technology, Apple is sitting at the sidelines twiddling their thumbs, with the same belief that brought RIM down in the first place: "Why do we need all those fancy features? Our product works just fine." The question is whether or not they've realized it, because it's certainly not too late to reverse things with relatively little pain. Even at their current pace, I reckon the iPhone has about two years before Apple is relegated to a similar status in the public's mind as RIM has been recently - Apple has invested massively in marketing, and it'll take some time for people to wake up and smell the coffee. But if Apple realizes the problem at this stage in time, they can very easily bounce back. The iPhone 5S/6 should be a good indicator of whether or not Apple is aware of the problem.
    Total agreement... The next year is HUGE for Apple

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    01-24-13 05:56 PM
    Man, if your stock loses 52 billion bux in one day (over 12%) then you're fixing to have a problem...SJ is gonna turn in his grave...way to go Mr. Cook...
    01-24-13 06:07 PM
    Judging by the figures being reported by the likes of at&t, apple would seem to be pretty safe until their grip on the usa market weakens and when you have $200bn in cash then you have plenty of room to make adjustments.
    01-24-13 06:11 PM
    Judging by the figures being reported by the likes of at&t, apple would seem to be pretty safe until their grip on the usa market weakens and when you have $200bn in cash then you have plenty of room to make adjustments.
    Now it's up to $200 billion??? The mythical apple cash hoard is under $130 billion. At least that's my understanding.
    thekidshop likes this.
    01-24-13 06:18 PM
    Is Apple the New Research In Motion? - AAPL, MSFT, RIMM - Foolish Blogging Network

Even Rene at iMore recently admitted that iOS is an ageing OS and there is no major update around the corner.
    This may all be a bit overstated about Apple, but the cracks in the evil empire are certainly starting to show.
    Go RIM. Go BB10.

Just so long as we don't go over to iMore and dance on their "aging device", its just a cycle.......
    kbz1960 and gravymonster like this.
    01-24-13 06:19 PM
    Just so long as we don't go over to iMore and dance on their "aging device", its just a cycle.......
    I'm locked and loaded with an iMore account using Mobile nations passport
    z1nsane and sam_b77 like this.
    01-24-13 06:23 PM
    I'm locked and loaded with an iMore account using Mobile nations passport

I could care less. I'm not threatened by Apple products, their rise, demise or comeback.

This laptop I browsing with is an XP machine that is maybe 7 years old, still runs smooth as silk. This PC tells those I'm a Mac/I'm a PC commercials to go screw themselves.

I'm comfortable with my technology choices, and have no need to go bashing the posters in an Apple forum should their OS start catching flack in the tech media, and their market share take a dive
    eddy_berry likes this.
    01-24-13 07:06 PM
    No. Apple is the Rim of yesteryear.
    gravymonster likes this.
    01-24-13 07:22 PM
    Not really Mr. Cooks fault, Jobs pigeon holed him by not changing with the times. Cook is just trying to scramble and catch up to consumer demands for different sized devices.
    z1nsane likes this.
    01-25-13 09:39 AM
    Is Apple likely to fall out of favour in the US? It is already happening in the UK to a certain extent although a lot of that is because of the bargains to be had on top of the range android phones...
    01-25-13 09:42 AM
    Apple has the whole Macintosh thing they can fall back on, even if their iPhone sales fall flat. Remember: They were just a computer company for a long time.
    01-25-13 10:12 AM
    Are we going for a war, again ?
    When we were down, some "drooling of revenge" appl fans came here, were mean, bad, tricky and trolled us. OK.
    Are we a part of that kind ?

stay.bold ... and.high-class.clean

Important : not firing @ you YorkieRay, just took one random post w/ apple in the title.
    01-25-13 10:17 AM
    don't think RIM has ever had more than 2-3 billion in the bank.

apple has like 100 billion.

No, they're not the new RIM.
    astraith likes this.
    01-25-13 10:18 AM
    NOT YET....IMO, it takes a lot to dethrone a champion ........sooner or later it will happen
    01-25-13 10:18 AM
    If anyone seriously thinks Apple is the new RIM - meaning a company that will stay stagnant and not continue to improve is crazy. Take the iPhone 5 for instance. The only thing it doesn't have (hardware wise) is NFC. The screen size was a good choice since currently they only offer one option.

And remember, Apple has the iPod, the iPad and the iPhone. No one has seriously challenged the other pillars that make them loads of cash. And with one of the worlds largest PC software companies .. Microsoft ... Trying to do what Apple has done with ease .. Just shows Apple is fine.

However, this doesn't even consider that they are hard at work on some sort of TV product. I really think that is what is causing delay for the iPhone. Apple is a small company and they are expanding in order to be able to do what they need.

Apple will be just fine.

Now can RIM be an innovator? I believe they are. Apple can do well and RIM do well too. They both can and will do well.
    01-25-13 10:29 AM
    No apple is apple. RIM is RIM. Nokia is Nokia. Some similarities some differences. They all react differently too.
    astraith likes this.
    01-25-13 11:09 AM
36 12