04-18-16 12:33 AM
292 ... 23456 ...
tools
    All cloud talk aside - my Classic is encrypted and password-protected (5) attempts then it wipes all data. Isn't this the same level of protection that iPhone offers?

ClassicSQC100-3/10.3.2.858
    02-22-16 03:59 PM
    I would think so.I don't see how John Chen could deliver the data on an encrypted bB10 phone which does not store passwords with password keeper and has automatic OS updates turned off. Even if the phone is not on BES.
    He would have to do it through one of the apps that have access to your files.
    02-22-16 05:12 PM
    To root/jailbreak you have to have physical access to the device and it can't be password protected.

Using basic security practices an iPhone or Android can be just as safe from rooting/jailbreaking as a BlackBerry.

Posted from my  Q10 via CB10
    None of which changes the fact that they can be rooted or jailbroken.
    TheAuthority likes this.
    02-22-16 07:55 PM
    With regards to the present stand off between Apple and the FBI, you are incorrect.
    It has nothing to do with how the phone is wiped.
    The FBI is asking Apple to hack that one phone.
    That phone has the latest iOS on it.
    This request would require Apple to build a new OS with a back door and install that on the shooter's iPhone 6 in order to retrieve the data that was on it.

While both Apple and Google have been staunchly against built in back doors, John Chen has publicly stated he is not opposed to providing a means for the government(s) to access BB's OS to retrieve data.

Posted via CB10
    I am not wrong.
    Apple opposes order to hack gunman's phone - CNN.com

Once a backdoor to the auto-erase function would exist, there is no guarantee that it would be used only once. Other governments could go to court demanding the backdoor, and Apple would lose control of it.
    JohnGrey and BB-Xelet like this.
    02-22-16 08:20 PM
    All cloud talk aside - my Classic is encrypted and password-protected (5) attempts then it wipes all data. Isn't this the same level of protection that iPhone offers?

ClassicSQC100-3/10.3.2.858
    Yes.

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    02-22-16 08:26 PM
    Then why can't the FBI get into it?
    Maybe the FBI is just saying they can't get into it..

An actual home-land terrorist attack happened and there is one remaining connection to the terrorists in a supposedly inaccessible phone. Looks like a great opportunity to set a legal precedent to backdoor all devices, just saying...

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    02-22-16 08:52 PM
    Lol. Gotta love this place!
    02-22-16 08:55 PM
    Lol. Gotta love this place!
    why?
    02-22-16 08:58 PM
    why?
    Because the other option is unpleasant.
    02-22-16 09:14 PM
    iPhone is encrypted by default. BlackBerry phones are not.

Posted from my  Z10 via CB10
    02-22-16 11:01 PM

Maybe because BlackBerry users are mature and can decide for themselves to encrypt their phones.

By the way, if you want to copy files from your phone to your PC/mac and your phone is encrypted, you cannot do it unless you decrypt it first.
    That's how it works between my Mac and my passport. Both are encrypted. If you want security and privacy you can't be lazy. You have to make the extra effort.

I would not want Apple to prevent me from de-encrypting my phone...
    02-22-16 11:18 PM
    Then why can't the FBI get into it?
    Actually it's quite likely that they can, and maybe even have already. For both FBI and Apple, this isn't about what can or can't be done technically. This is about setting a legal precedent for the future.

For Apple, I understand they have been asked to remove the 10 try limit with a special build just for this one phone which can even stay on Apple premises. Sounds reasonable to me, except that means someone else could also reflash the OS on a locked phone to gain access for starters and secondly, if they help FBI , well how do you say no if GCHQ come asking next or some other foreign government?

For FBI this is the best case they can get with clearly guilty terrorist possibly connected to ISIL, who can say no? Except if you say yes today, they can ask you again tomorrow when maybe it is not so clear cut. In this case, I understand the 5C is crackable fairly easily, but next time it might be a 6S which is a bit tougher, or even may be a Blackberry they need access to. They need this precedent.
    Sulaco757 likes this.
    02-22-16 11:33 PM
    Yes. Chen is a government collaborator. Apple is resisting. BB rolled over and died.

Xperia Z5P / Android 5.1.1 / T-Mobile USA
    anon(8719892) likes this.
    02-22-16 11:58 PM
    Yes. Besides, it's even simpler than that for Apple.

There are many other phones that the FBI and the police want to crack. Apple would have to do it for every single one of them. So they'd have to create a group that would work full time on decrypting iphones for the police, FBI, NSA, and all the secret services of the 5 eye countries at least, to say nothing of the case where the Chinese (Apple's biggest market now) will ask them to crack some US secret serviceman's phone ;-)
    Last edited by sorinv; 02-23-16 at 05:13 AM.
    02-22-16 11:58 PM
    One thing is for sure. The publicity is good for Apple security wise. Raises awareness of how good the iPhone security is. I am sure BlackBerry wishes it wasn't getting so much attention.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    early2bed, MikeX74 and Sulaco757 like this.
    02-23-16 12:26 AM

Priv is encrypted by default.
    As for other BlackBerry devices, If you've set a password, then your data are safe on a local (device in hands) POV, encrypted or not.
    web99 and BB-Xelet like this.
    02-23-16 02:42 AM
    Such a great read on all your opinions and information provided.
    All I'll add is that I hate Apple and have for many years. That's it.

Posted via my Expired Passport
    02-23-16 03:38 AM
    Yes.
    ... define wipe ...

edit : that's a real question, probably out of the knowledge of most (me included)
    02-23-16 04:34 AM
    No. This whole thing is just marketing. Why is Tim Cook extending privacy to criminals anyway? Chen would let the government do that, yes, but criminals are criminals. I'm pretty sure BlackBerry said at one point that they wouldn't extend privacy to criminals, in response to apple.

 Priv... cue the comeback!
    02-23-16 05:06 AM
    Sorry. It's not marketing. Chen has criticized Apple for being more secure than BB

http://www.extremetech.com/mobile/21...ata-protection

I know you'll say criminals don't deserve BB privacy protection. But the governments criminal (Snowden) is my hero.

Chen ruined BB. For everyone.

02-23-16 06:00 AM
    I see Chen isn't alone in the compromise position:

http://www.cnet.com/news/bill-gates-...tag=CAD590a51e
    02-23-16 06:07 AM
    Because the other option is unpleasant.
    Not for everyone.
    02-23-16 06:34 AM
    Yes. Chen is a government collaborator. Apple is resisting. BB rolled over and died.

Sorry. It's not marketing. Chen has criticized Apple for being more secure than BB

I know you'll say criminals don't deserve BB privacy protection. But the governments criminal (Snowden) is my hero.

Do you want Thor to be back?

 Priv... cue the comeback!
    02-23-16 06:46 AM
    Well, most people back up to iCloud. iCloud seems to back up practically everything. So no, you're not secure then. As far as I know, even if you setup the BlackBerry to back up itself to Google, it doesn't send all your private information, it only sends settings etc.

iCloud collects emails, contacts, calender's, notes, to do lists, document s etc. Your device being encrypted is useless if all your information is being synced remotely where the owner of the remote servers can look at your information anytime.

I have personally disabled Google backup. The only thing I sync is phone contacts. But really if I was a criminal, I wouldn't store someone's phone number in my phone anyway. That's just stupid. Memorize the number and dont write it down.
    Call logs can easily be obtained from telcoms. I doubt criminals are using anything but encrypted chat apps.

Posted via CB10
    southlander likes this.
    02-23-16 08:14 AM

I read and re-read that article many times and I don't see where Chen say that Apple is more secure!

Chen just say that in his opinion, tech companies should protect lawful users, not criminals.

You do know that Apple has stated exactly the same thing multiple times right? Cook even confirmed that they had provided assistance to law enforcement and governments in decrypting IPhones multiple times

Posted via CB10
    02-23-16 08:38 AM
292 ... 23456 ...