04-18-16 12:33 AM
292 ... 101112
tools
    So the FBI hacked into the iPhone with the assistance of an outside firm.

Posted via CB10
    I guess the guy above who would "take an iPhone over anything because Apple won't comply" might want to rethink his stance.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-29-16 12:57 PM
    Unfortunately recent events have trained people to to believe that rapid patching and a defiant public stance make software secure. Rapid patching of known vulnerabilities is necessary, but not sufficient for security. A defiant public stance is entertaining but irrelevant.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    03-29-16 02:52 PM
    This is in the news today RCMP access BlackBerry's encryption key:
    http://en.daily.vice.com/videos/excl...encryption-key
    04-14-16 09:46 AM
    This is in the news today RCMP access BlackBerry's encryption key:
    http://en.daily.vice.com/videos/excl...encryption-key
    They gave the keys to Pakistan and Saudi Arabia years ago. There is a 100% chance the American intelligence services have had them since day one. I get that their marketing has been repeating "BlackBerry is secure" as a mantra, but that's simply not true. They didn't even have device encryption as a default until BBOS10.
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    04-14-16 11:34 AM
    Buwee likely hasn't posted in response yet because he's busy seasoning his foot for consumption...
    Velocitymj likes this.
    04-14-16 11:58 AM
    They gave the keys to Pakistan and Saudi Arabia years ago. There is a 100% chance the American intelligence services have had them since day one. I get that their marketing has been repeating "BlackBerry is secure" as a mantra, but that's simply not true. They didn't even have device encryption as a default until BBOS10.
    Encryption isn't the default in BB10.
    04-14-16 08:59 PM
    The "American intelligence" part of your reply is speculation.
    But, as we learned in the news several days ago, US Federal law enforcement was able to access the San Bernardino shooter's iPhone 5C, by purchasing an access "key" (I believe that is the word used by the news media) from a 3rd party.
    It was also reported that only the 5C is accessible with this "key" and the iPhone 5S as well as newer versions of the iPhone are not.
    I'm sure that others can extrapolate more on both sides of this discussion.
    Imo, if both the Saudis and Pakistanis have keys
    to unlock BlackBerry encryption, then BlackBerry phones have never been secure.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-16 05:20 PM
    But, as we learned in the news several days ago, US Federal law enforcement was able to access the San Bernardino shooter's iPhone 5C, by purchasing an access "key" (I believe that is the word used by the news media) from a 3rd party.
    It was also reported that only the 5C is accessible with this "key" and the iPhone 5S as well as newer versions of the iPhone are not.

Posted via CB10
    Only BBOS phones using BIS. Phone on BES and BB10 phones are not affected because they don't use this "key".
    04-16-16 06:25 PM

Posted via CB10
    There are several aspects here which need some correction.

1) We are talking about BBM messages that did not use BBM protected on a BES server. For those on a BES server, BlackBerry does not have the key. BB10 devices, even those of the public at large , like the Iphone, can be encrypted by the user and cannot be de-encrypted, as far as we know, by BlackBerry, police, or others, until proven otherwise.

2) Iphones 6 and Iphone 6plus can also be de-encrypted by Cellebrite, whereas, for BB10 devices, the Cellebrite wepbage indicates that they can do it only if they have the BlackBerry ID.

3) The comparison here should be made between BBM and I-message.

Overall, although Apple has good intentions by trying to protect the public's privacy, they seem to have repeatedly failed technically to do so. Their phones and security features are easily broken shortly after they are introduced.

BlackBerry collaborates with government agencies and are understood to provide the keys for BBM encryption if the conversation is not on a BES server. From the evidence so far, their security and privacy have not been compromised by third parties, nor by the government. They have been accused of handing over the keys to the government but not of failing technically to secure the phones, unlike Apple.

Therefore, we can conclude that Iphones are less secure than BB10 devices.

However, everything I said is only true if you do not save or backup your phone in the cloud. It is clear that icloud and bb10 backups can be retrieved by the government.
    Last edited by sorinv; 04-16-16 at 09:13 PM.
    04-16-16 08:52 PM
    Only BBOS phones using BIS. Phone on BES and BB10 phones are not affected because they don't use this "key".
    Thank you for the clarification.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-16 11:44 PM
    There are several aspects here which need some correction.

Overall, although Apple has good intentions by trying to protect the public's privacy, they seem to have repeatedly failed technically to do so. Their phones and security features are easily broken shortly after they are introduced.

Therefore, we can conclude that Iphones are less secure than BB10 devices.
    Where is your proof to back up that statement?

Posted via CB10
    04-16-16 11:49 PM
    On BB10 your BBM messages are actually encrypted twice.
    1st layer is the "scrambeling" with 3DES, this key is on all devices.
    2nd Layer is TLS with Certificate Pinning, BBRY holds the key.

Now, iMessage is basically better, because it has E2E encryption, but last time it was checked there was no certificate pinning (yet).
    iMessage Privacy

If you sign up to BBM Protected you can have a 3rd layer of encryption, which is then E2E.

Apple "logs" a lot more info when you use iCloud, because Apple has the keys for iCloud.
    And of course they hand all this info (pictures, vids, contacts, e-mails, notes, calendar, iMEssage etc etc....) over to LEA by proper court order, so what is your point now?
    BBRY has no cloud service, BBRY can't pass this big amount of data, because they don't have it.
    Indeed

...so which one of you fine gentlemen would like to get me a ... Priv
    04-17-16 03:12 AM

Posted via CB10
    Sadly it only takes a little Googling to answer your question.

We don't know the technical details but it is clear that the FBI bought an way to break into a locked iPhone 5C from a private company.

This following article talks about one problem with iMessage which is mitigated by patches but not truly fixed because the problem lies in their implementation of the cryptographic protocol in that they authenticate the encrypted data incorrectly.

http://securesense.ca/imessage-vulne...ty-discovered/

Another problem with iMessage is that Apple holds the public keys and provides them to devices when needed. At the moment this isn't a problem but it leaves them open to be coerced into providing a way to decrypt iMessages if a law like the Burr-Feinstein proposal passes

Compare that to BlackBerry BBM. The free versions BlackBerry is able to respond to court orders for the traffic. For BBM, or any traffic really, contained entirely within the scope of a BES, or for BBM Protected they cannot.

So while Apple is very vocal about protecting user data, BlackBerry actually provides the ability of users to protect their own data. Sure it coats more. But things that are free often turn out to be worth less than they cost.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    04-17-16 08:09 AM
    So did I. That's why I don't trust Chen and predicted when he was hired that one of his missions was to weaken BlackBerry's security.
    It's one thing to intercept BBM communications through BlackBerry servers, it's quite a different matter to extract the files from an encrypted BB10 phone, when the phone has automated OS update turned off.
    If BlackBerry can do that, then there is a backdoor and the phone IS NOT SECURE.
    Because he's a CFR member...? Cue the conthspirathy theories... :-D

(IMHO, there can't be no conspiracies, by all we've seen happen in history...)

  There's a Crack in the Berry right now...  
    04-17-16 03:38 PM

So while Apple is very vocal about protecting user data, BlackBerry actually provides the ability of users to protect their own data. Sure it coats more. But things that are free often turn out to be worth less than they cost.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    That's a good one, gotta remember it... :-)

  There's a Crack in the Berry right now...  
    04-17-16 03:41 PM
    BB is more secure because unlike Apple, it does not store backup copy of your data to the Internet.

Posted via CB10/BB PP SE.
    Have u ever heard of setting?

Posted via CB10
    04-17-16 06:42 PM

Posted via CB10
    The proof, as I mentioned in my earlier posting, is that Cellebrite can de-encrypt any iphone, including iphone6 and iphone6plus. It's on their webpage. They also state that they need the BlackBerry ID in order to de-encrypt a BB10 phone.
    Those weblinks were posted a few weeks ago in this forum.

Here they are again. For iphone
    http://www.cellebrite.com/Pages/ios-...FQ8yaQodCMQAWQ

And for BlackBerry
    http://www.cellebrite.com/Pages/blac...kberry-devices
    Last edited by sorinv; 04-18-16 at 12:45 AM.
    Velocitymj likes this.
    04-18-16 12:33 AM
292 ... 101112