04-18-16 12:33 AM
292 123 ...
tools
    In light of current events and the FBI's demand that Apple create a backdoor in their phone or crack their encryption that the government hasn't been able to crack for 2 months now, Is it safe to say that the iPhone is the better choice for privacy and encryption? I simply use BlackBerry because I thought it was the most secure consumer smart phone available. Can BlackBerry currently gain access to any BlackBerry phone. Have I been sorely mistaking? Can someone who actually KNOWS what they are talking about give me a definitive answer of whether BlackBerry is as secure as I always have believed? Also please elaborate on BBM, I've heard BlackBerry can read and logs all BBM chats is that true? Please note that I'm a regular private consumer user of BlackBerry, I don't have BES or anything other than what the basic phone comes with when purchased in a store. Thanks in advance!
    02-19-16 08:28 AM
    What the FBI wants is a software hack that will change how all iPhones get wiped after 10 password tries. BlackBerry phone will also wipe after 10 incorrect password tries. No difference.

Posted via the Diva's beautiful Red Passport!
    web99 and BionicKris like this.
    02-19-16 08:35 AM
    I think Apple and BlackBerry are equal when it comes to security. Android is getting better.

But, consumers don't want security they want apps.

Posted via CB10
    sonicpix likes this.
    02-19-16 08:35 AM
    The iPhone is currently better. Chen just bends over for the Governments.

And yes, they can log your info, your bbm messages can also be unscrambled, since they don't use any encryption, just a common key.

The only way they are more protected is with full BES. Otherwise they are just as weak of a target.

Posted via -sigh- Priv. Guess we have to get used to Android guys....
    02-19-16 08:47 AM
    You can get used to droid all you want. A tablet will kept handy for any droid need.

Posted from a wireless charging Passport. Get one!
    02-19-16 09:15 AM
    OP, It does seems that way
    02-19-16 09:18 AM
    According to my mind both are important and equal. This basically depends on persons usage. How they will keep secure his/her device.
    02-19-16 09:41 AM
    I feel both Apple and Blackberry are about equal on the security front unless your on a BES server and that's a different ballgame.

Myself, I feel security begins with the user. Strong passwords and limiting the amount and type of data your exposing when your on the grid.
    02-19-16 09:57 AM
    BB is more secure because unlike Apple, it does not store backup copy of your data to the Internet.

Posted via CB10/BB PP SE.
    JJStripes and TCB on Z10 like this.
    02-20-16 09:09 AM
    BB is more secure because unlike Apple, it does not store backup copy of your data to the Internet.

Posted via CB10/BB PP SE.
    Lol.
    techvisor likes this.
    02-20-16 09:20 AM
    I feel both Apple and Blackberry are about equal on the security front unless your on a BES server and that's a different ballgame.

Myself, I feel security begins with the user. Strong passwords and limiting the amount and type of data your exposing when your on the grid.
    This ^^^^
    02-20-16 09:32 AM
    If you own a BB, then that is more secure.
    If you own apple then that is more secure.
    Truth is, when you can get a straight answer from any of these two company's then let us know.
    When it comes to jail breaking or rooting then BB is more secure.
    Omahahaha and TCB on Z10 like this.
    02-20-16 09:41 AM
    why not add the ability set time limit, by how many hours required and if code is not entered by user within set limit then auto wipe of the device and SD Card, and after code is entered the countdown restarts useful if stolen or lost and you have sensitive data on your device,
    02-20-16 12:38 PM
    Blackberry on BES will be a different ball game altogether. At this moment both Apple and BlackBerry are looking at same level.

 Passport SE on Etisalat 4G Network propelled by 10.3.2.2876
    02-20-16 01:21 PM

Very true Ron. Agree with you.

 Passport SE on Etisalat 4G Network propelled by 10.3.2.2876
    02-20-16 01:22 PM
    Your question is too general, you must be more specific about the models and technology support being used. One of the two mentionned brands, generally one has made a reputation of being known for its marketing & hype and the other having made a reputation of being more secure. Which one has a long list of known cases of being hacked and which one not yet. A variable being also the age of the technology being used, the more recent being typically better addressing potential problems. Proper encription is a very serious and complex subject which increasing complexity with passing time. IMHO Apple with its older OS technology is starting to make major efforts to try to catch up to reach the levels required by business. Even BlackBerry's BBOS7 which was the best at that time is now much improved with BB10 and complement support in addressing these matters.

And the bad guys are also continually adding depth and complexity to their tools, this is not an area for whimps or marketing hype trying to convince us being hacked is not so serious. The longtime implications can be extremely frightening, but like when we need to wait to be burned to finally understanding the warnings. Interesting times to see how it will evolve, major dollars implications but mainly our longtime safety is at risk from increasing sophistication from tools and people that can do great harm if not properly addressed.
    02-20-16 01:53 PM
    Well, most people back up to iCloud. iCloud seems to back up practically everything. So no, you're not secure then. As far as I know, even if you setup the BlackBerry to back up itself to Google, it doesn't send all your private information, it only sends settings etc.

iCloud collects emails, contacts, calender's, notes, to do lists, document s etc. Your device being encrypted is useless if all your information is being synced remotely where the owner of the remote servers can look at your information anytime.

I have personally disabled Google backup. The only thing I sync is phone contacts. But really if I was a criminal, I wouldn't store someone's phone number in my phone anyway. That's just stupid. Memorize the number and dont write it down.
    Sulaco757 and CBluver876 like this.
    02-20-16 02:21 PM
    The government hasn't been trying to crack the phone for *two months straight*. It's trying to set a legal precedent: that can legally compel a company to aid it in a criminal investigation where encryption is involved. The government isn't asking Apple to decrypt the phone, nor unlock it. It wants the phone to be altered so that the 10 try limit is removed so that they could have unlimited tries. After getting that, they'll claim that they weren't able to decrypt it in *a reasonable amount of time* and then try to legally compel Apple to decrypt it.

The government is taking it one step at a time. First, ask for something small, like removing the 10 try limit, which sets a precedent that a company can be legally compelled to help it. After that, anything could be asked for.

The government lawyers involved are probably thinking how clever they are to come up with this plan. I wonder what kind of expression they'll have on their faces when *another* government asks Apple to do the same with a phone they consider has national security secrets on it. Chances are, as lawyers, they'll just represent the foreign government and make a living at it.
    02-20-16 02:47 PM

And yes, they can log your info, your bbm messages can also be unscrambled, since they don't use any encryption, just a common key.
    Obsolete data. This has not been true for several years.
    rarsen, tmf06 and Sulaco757 like this.
    02-20-16 02:56 PM
    When we used iPhones, my terrorist cell was being hacked and captured by the gubmint all the time. Like every week whoa!

Now with BlackBerry, we is almost never being foiled in our evil capers! Neat!

Seriously though, the vast majority of users of any major mobile platform don't have anything to worry about. Like bakron1 said above, most of your vulnerability arises from how you use your smartphone.
    02-20-16 07:21 PM
    When we used iPhones, my terrorist cell was being hacked and captured by the gubmint all the time. Like every week whoa!

Seriously though, the vast majority of users of any major mobile platform don't have anything to worry about. Like bakron1 said above, most of your vulnerability arises from how you use your smartphone.
    I appreciate your voice of reason. It's not very popular around here but it is refreshing.
    02-20-16 07:46 PM
    The iPhone is currently better. Chen just bends over for the Governments.
    Crackberry: where I come to get depressed, get sucked into mass hysteria over misinformation, and look for new justifications to put up more tin foil around the neighborhood.
    02-20-16 08:15 PM
    I think BlackBerry has a deeper knowledge base in data security than Apple. However, it does seem BlackBerry purposely uses those extra levels of security as a 'premium' 'enterprise grade' features. In other words, they seem to agree with the idea that 'most users' don't need that extra level of security.

Additionally, with the exception of those enterprise grade services, they seem to be willing to cooperate with lawful government requests.

Apple's claim that they cannot, by design, bypass their security is the same one BlackBerry uses when protecting their BES services.

The question is whether they can be required to change 'the design', so that they can.

The answer will probably require explicit laws and judicial precedent.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-16 08:52 PM
    iOS is the more secure because attention to security is focused at the app level as much as it is at the operating system level. If you don't have a secure app, it doesn't matter how secure the operating system is. So the fact that the Apple Store is curated, that provides a level of security that you don't get today from the rest of apple's competitors, blackberry included.
    02-21-16 12:29 AM

This, exactly!

I feel like some people's hate for Android makes them write some rather stupid things, funny thing is before all this happened with the FBI there were many "know-it-alls" around here claiming iOS wasn't secure, lol, now some of them have changed their tune.
    TgeekB and master 30 like this.
    02-21-16 02:17 AM
292 123 ...