Apple considering Hulu purchase? - CNN.com

What do you think? I think it might be bad for us blackberry customers as well as the longer wait time for us Canadians to have this service available in Canada. I don't know I might be over exaggerating. But I sure hope that doesn't happen if Apple decides to buy it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-11 12:20 PM
    I didn't think apple was interested in aquisitions... Haven't they always preferred inhouse development?

07-22-11 12:31 PM

What do you think? I think it might be bad for us blackberry customers as well as the longer wait time for us Canadians to have this service available in Canada.
    Doubt it. There are too many different licenses in Canada for this to mean hulu will be available in Canada. Just look at the content in NetFlix in the states compared to Canada, same for iTunes, and AppleTV. Way more content in the US. Licensing of TV shows and media is the big stumbling block, let alone the natsy CRTC...
    07-22-11 12:35 PM
    Hulu is 'meh'. Let Apple have em. I dont think Hulu will ever be available for the PB anyways so who cares. Since they blocked the PB I no longer visit their site.
    07-22-11 01:11 PM
    Apple could make HULU huge!!

they have the marketing power,
    they have have the devices,
    they have the following
    and with there still very low market share in the PC space they could include HULU on their desktop and NOT face Antitrust lawsuits initially.
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    07-22-11 01:16 PM

What do you think? I think it might be bad for us blackberry customers as well as the longer wait time for us Canadians to have this service available in Canada. I don't know I might be over exaggerating. But I sure hope that doesn't happen if Apple decides to buy it.

On the contrary, I would think Apple would want everyone to use this. Much like iTunes and Apple TV. It's not restricted to just iOS users. Of course more functionality and other services are offered with iOS devices but I would think Apple would market the he11 out of Hulu so everyone can use it. And with Netflix pissing everyone off, Apple could put Hulu in a position to rival Netflix.
    07-22-11 02:19 PM
    Apple could make HULU huge!!

they have the marketing power,
    they have have the devices,
    they have the following
    and with there still very low market share in the PC space they could include HULU on their desktop and NOT face Antitrust lawsuits initially.

I agree. Apple could make Hulu more mainstream than it could ever be by itself. Just look at the number of internet connected devices where Netflix is a given. Apple could do that with Hulu where it becomes the "must have" TV and movie thing. They could integrate it with iTunes and put it on all their computers and iOS devices. It could be huge if they bought it.
    07-22-11 02:23 PM
    I agree. Apple could make Hulu more mainstream than it could ever be by itself. Just look at the number of internet connected devices where Netflix is a given. Apple could do that with Hulu where it becomes the "must have" TV and movie thing. They could integrate it with iTunes and put it on all their computers and iOS devices. It could be huge if they bought it.
    What about content licensing to Canada? Would it be much easier for Apple to pay for the licensing to us Canadians since they have so much cash compared to others (ie Hulu and Netflix)?

07-22-11 02:32 PM
    What about content licensing to Canada? Would it be much easier for Apple to pay for the licensing to us Canadians since they have so much cash compared to others (ie Hulu and Netflix)?

Honestly, I couldn't tell ya about that. I just think they would figure out a way to make it more mainstream. Apple is a global company so they'll figure it out if they did buy it.
    07-22-11 02:34 PM
    Hulu is 'meh'. Let Apple have em. I dont think Hulu will ever be available for the PB anyways so who cares. Since they blocked the PB I no longer visit their site.
    ^^^This. Since they required registration, I haven't looked at the site.
    07-22-11 03:46 PM
    Apple has always been USA first, they would not be overly concerned with Canada, especially seeing as Canada has such low data caps on broadband.

Apple could make Hulu a cash cow for themselves with a new media distribution service

BUT it also could get killed with competing better services, it would be harder for Apple to controll this like they do with other products

07-22-11 04:05 PM
    Another added benefit is being able to sustain content. Hulu has had its share of problems with content provided. If purchased by Apple, it's a lot easier to ink deals with all the major providers especially since Apple already has deals in places with many of them. And some people may not care but I read somewhere that over 26.7 million people watched Hulu for over 160 million programs LAST MONTH. So it might me "meh" to some, but it can be a lot bigger than it already is, an it's pretty big now. With the right licensing, advertising and content deals, it can be huge. This is coming from a **** off netflix user that keeps jacking up prices LOL.
    07-22-11 04:15 PM
    Lets see here... I have refused to use Hulu since they blocked mobile browsers.

I hate Apple with a fury that a Jihadist couldn't match.

If Apple buys Hulu I'll still refuse to use Hulu even if Apple makes them unblock mobile browsers.

I really don't want Apple making money from Hulu.

I hope MS comes in, buys Hulu and says F*ck you Apple.

That would make me happy and begin using Hulu again.
    07-22-11 06:12 PM
    I don't use it so I could care less.
    07-22-11 06:13 PM
    There are a million websites that do what Hulu does now. They are losing relevance. I almost never go there anymore. I didn't think anyone did.
    07-22-11 06:26 PM
    I almost never go there anymore. I didn't think anyone did.
    "Nobody goes there anymore. It's always too crowded." - Yogi Berra.
    07-22-11 06:37 PM
    Lets see here... I have refused to use Hulu since they blocked mobile browsers.

I hate Apple with a fury that a Jihadist couldn't match.

If Apple buys Hulu I'll still refuse to use Hulu even if Apple makes them unblock mobile browsers.

I really don't want Apple making money from Hulu.

I hope MS comes in, buys Hulu and says F*ck you Apple.

That would make me happy and begin using Hulu again.
    So in your eyes, Microsoft purchasing Hulu would make up for Hulu blocking mobile browsers? Yeah, that makes perfect sense.
    07-22-11 06:47 PM
    "Nobody goes there anymore. It's always too crowded." - Yogi Berra.
    That made me laugh...good quote.
    sosumi11 likes this.
    07-22-11 06:53 PM
    So in your eyes, Microsoft purchasing Hulu would make up for Hulu blocking mobile browsers? Yeah, that makes perfect sense.
    Too blind to see my point. I just hate Apple, and I honestly think MS would manage hulu better that it is currently being managed.
    07-24-11 07:42 AM

Hey luqman24, I know this is off-topic, but you need to change your Avatar to match the new logo(s) for the Jets.

07-25-11 08:09 AM
    Too blind to see my point. I just hate Apple, and I honestly think MS would manage hulu better that it is currently being managed.
    So you just have unwarranted hate? Gotcha. I'm pretty sure Apple could manage Hulu better than Microsoft given that Apple is already in the entertainment media content business.
    07-25-11 09:07 AM
    There are a million websites that do what Hulu does now. They are losing relevance. I almost never go there anymore. I didn't think anyone did.
    Agreed. But that's the thing, Apple could make it relevant. It could be stretched across of the iOS users they have around the world. Everyone doesn't want to visit several websites for stuff. A consolidated website that could compete with netflix is a good thing for customers. Netflix needs some better competition or they are going to keep jacking prices. And again, I'm not sure why people think because they don't use something, it's irrelevant.
    07-25-11 09:10 AM
    IMHO, It's your innate hatred for all things Apple that is blind in this case. I can't recall the last time Microsoft managed any of their acquisitions with anything resembling competence.
    scorpiodsu and psufan32 like this.
    07-25-11 09:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD