07-19-11 02:19 PM
37 12
tools
    Didnt we just see some numbers a month ago where android encompassed like 30-40% of the market, ios in the upper 20's and RIM in the mid 20's?
    07-19-11 09:19 AM
    Didnt we just see some numbers a month ago where android encompassed like 30-40% of the market, ios in the upper 20's and RIM in the mid 20's?
    I believe that was referencing total U.S. smartphone subscribers during the quarter ending May of 2011. RIM was in the mid-20s as you indicated, though that number looks less impressive when you remember that RIM used to be in the mid-50s.

RIM’s troubles continue: BlackBerry falls to third most used mobile platform | It's All Tech

According to data from comScore, Research in Motion's (RIM) BlackBerry platform has fallen to third place, behind Apple and Google, as the company continues to go through a major transitional period to try and recover from recent troubles. From February 2011 to May 2011, the BlackBerry platform lost roughly 4% of its market share, while Google and Apple both grew 5.1% and 1.4%, respectively.

At one point, the BlackBerry platform held a commanding 55% market share, but over the past couple of years, RIM has been failing to advance in technologies in its smartphones. RIM can also blame Apple and Google for its recent decline. Last month, the Canada-based company reported poor financial earnings for the first fiscal quarter of 2012, missing expectations by a significant number. RIM also plans to layoff many of its workers as a result of its recent financial troubles.

Other data revealed by comScore includes:

Samsung is the largest mobile manufacturer
    Google holds a commanding market share lead
    Microsoft lost roughly 2% of its market share
    07-19-11 10:45 AM
    That was (then-) current market share, this is preference of those who are going to buy a new smartphone in the next 90 days.
    07-19-11 10:50 AM
    Things don't look so good for andriod or HTC either.
    Android Ban Threat As HTC Fights Patent Case - Yahoo! News
    07-19-11 11:05 AM
    Things don't look so good for andriod or HTC either.
    Android Ban Threat As HTC Fights Patent Case - Yahoo! News
    I did see that. Kind of scarey given HTC seems to be everywhere and holds like 60% of the top ten android phones on Android Central.
    07-19-11 11:07 AM
    I did see that. Kind of scarey given HTC seems to be everywhere and holds like 60% of the top ten android phones on Android Central.
    Whilst I may have tried Apple products in the past this kind of thing only serves to distance myself from them, my daughter really dislikes their methods and restrictiveness and she's 16. Surely there is room for all things isn't that what gives us progress, of course this isn't helped by those who just want to bash the other because they can't understand that we can think for ourselves
    07-19-11 11:17 AM
    That assumes a uniform demographic across the entire population. If you would have surveyed 1,000 Mississippi / Louisiana / Any other southern state people and asked them who would win the last presidential election - it wouldnt have been Obama. Yet that sample wouldnt have been reflective of the general population.

I dont understand how you can saw survey results of the US will be indicative of survey results world wide.
    It does not assume uniformity any more than the actual population is uniform. In other words, a random sample - of a correct percentage - of the US population will be as diverse as the country itself, therefore the survey will have all of its loose ends tied up - everybody is accounted for through the small sample group.

Nowhere did I say that the US results will reflect the entire worlds population.
    07-19-11 12:45 PM
    Look- the bottom line is this: RIM is having trouble, there is no denying that. There is no conspiracy. There is no one paying to write bad articles. They are behind. They are delusional. They are slow.

All truths.
    psufan32 and 1magine like this.
    07-19-11 12:50 PM
    Nowhere did I say that the US results will reflect the entire worlds population.
    But you were responding to the one mod's post saying "*shrugs* Just another report on a small portion of the big picture. ". The small portion of the big picture being one country (the US) of the entire world.
    07-19-11 12:52 PM
    But you were responding to the one mod's post saying "*shrugs* Just another report on a small portion of the big picture. ". The small portion of the big picture being one country (the US) of the entire world.
    The survey is primarily of United States citizens. While RIM might be gaining steadily in a few countries, the relation of the US market to RIMs success is very telling.

The US might be a small percent of the world population, but the fact that US citizens don't care about BlackBerry anymore and RIM tanking at the same time is no coincidence.
    07-19-11 01:12 PM
    Ok lets dispel this myth finally. RIM is not making headway in the developing world. The rest of the world is not embracing BB as the future. RIM saw they were in trouble last year and made allot of deals with carriers in those countries to dump older BB stock at discounted prices wth discounts on the NOC fees. These were huge deals ridding RIM of millions of HHs that were not selling elsewhere. These are not 'sold through' handhelds, though tens of thousands are now on the streets. This is not a long term solution - this was raise some capital fast solution. These markets are now saturated and essentially closed. They will not be able to push more devices in thes countries for a long time. Ihave friends who travel the world and will tell you people have BBs with no cell service until they travel many miles to the nearest city or populated village. They are not going to by an OS7 device for more than they make in a year, let alone a QNX superphone.

The US market is measured most often when it comes to tech, because it most often at the leading edge of where things are going.

All that said - if you want to believe BB is best, and RIM is doing awesome and everything is fine - than do so. I'm not arguing with you, I'm just trying to bring the facts to light.
    07-19-11 02:15 PM
    What is sold through?
    07-19-11 02:19 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD