07-18-11 11:35 PM
    Very good article and very accurate.
    07-18-11 11:50 PM
    About as accurate as a drunk peeing for distance contest.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    Spawn12 and fatherslot like this.
    07-19-11 12:16 AM
    "We note that this survey focuses primarily on the North American smart phone market – with the sample being 89% U.S. respondents and 11% outside the U.S. "

*shrugs* Just another report on a small portion of the big picture.
    andyahs likes this.
    07-19-11 12:29 AM
    "We note that this survey focuses primarily on the North American smart phone market � with the sample being 89% U.S. respondents and 11% outside the U.S. "

North America is just a tad bit more than a "small portion of the big picture," and the 89/11 split is a reasonable analog for the numerical relationship between U.S. and Canadian populations. Having said that, the "plan to buy" surveys have never been all that persuasive; better to show us what you have done as opposed to what you're going to do (the latter being iffy in most cases).
    scorpiodsu, 1magine and brucep1 like this.
    07-19-11 12:59 AM
    "We note that this survey focuses primarily on the North American smart phone market – with the sample being 89% U.S. respondents and 11% outside the U.S. "

Statistics will tell you that even a very small portions of randomly selected people will reflect the masses with very precise accuracy - high ninety percentile to be exact. With that said, unless this wasn't a random selection, a few thousand people should more than suffice in exposing the United States' smartphone trend. Given only 89% of those surveyed were from the US, this is still an accurate look at the picture.
    psufan32 and 1magine like this.
    07-19-11 01:04 AM
    Statistics will tell you that even a very small portions of randomly selected people will reflect the masses with very precise accuracy - high ninety percentile to be exact. With that said, unless this wasn't a random selection, a few thousand people should more than suffice in exposing the United States' smartphone trend. Given only 89% of those surveyed were from the US, this is still an accurate look at the picture.
    Whoever told you that needs to be fired. Of course the demographic matters, you font see yuppies get surveyed about the harmful effects of racism or poverty.
    A random sample had top reflect the demographics of the target population. That's also the reason NY Times political poles are so often wrong.
    07-19-11 01:12 AM
    Statistics predicting aside, they also very much so match actual sales in usa

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-11 01:13 AM
    Whoever told you that needs to be fired. Of course the demographic matters, you font see yuppies get surveyed about the harmful effects of racism or poverty.
    A random sample had top reflect the demographics of the target population. That's also the reason NY Times political poles are so often wrong.
    What do you mean whoever told me that? I understand statistics and if you were to take a random sample of a few thousand people, you could easily use your findings to represent a greater number of people, and yes, that means even millions. This may sound crazy to you, but that doesn't make it untrue. How else would we have all the number and findings that we do for - people sure as he11 aren't going door to door until everyone has been heard. Things can be proven and statistics have been studied, worked on and refined for millennia; the numbers needed and information necessary to come up with a conclusion for a large group of people can and does get justified through a smaller amount of that same population.

This survey should not be discounted because you think the number of people used for the test is insufficient. Of course that's why the professionals host surveys and those who don't fully understand statistics do not.
    Last edited by dalton4L; 07-19-11 at 02:06 AM.
    07-19-11 02:02 AM
    I don't really think qnx will be that great. Don't see any innovation coming from Rim. Your first phone is all touch? If you're going to enter a dog fight.. at least bring your best weapon... I don't kno.. maybe a keyboard!!!!

07-19-11 03:41 AM
    I don't really think qnx will be that great. Don't see any innovation coming from Rim. Your first phone is all touch? If you're going to enter a dog fight.. at least bring your best weapon... I don't kno.. maybe a keyboard!!!!

haha or at least you know, maybe email
    07-19-11 03:49 AM
    PMSL yeh you would say that wouldnt you as you dont even use a Blackberry judging by the devices you use...hows that fragementation working out on Android??...u getting all those lovely updates??...hows the closed eco system working out for on the iphone4??...or have you jailbroken it so you also add more issues into the mix??

Yeh a very accurate article isnt it??...give me a freaking break will ya.
    07-19-11 05:56 AM
    haha or at least you know, maybe email
    You have a cruel streak, Katie.
    07-19-11 06:03 AM

What do you mean whoever told me that? I understand statistics and if you were to take a random sample of a few thousand people, you could easily use your findings to represent a greater number of people, and yes, that means even millions.
    That assumes a uniform demographic across the entire population. If you would have surveyed 1,000 Mississippi / Louisiana / Any other southern state people and asked them who would win the last presidential election - it wouldnt have been Obama. Yet that sample wouldnt have been reflective of the general population.

I dont understand how you can saw survey results of the US will be indicative of survey results world wide.
    07-19-11 06:16 AM
    Smartphones aren't politicians. These analogies are dumb, and out of control.

To get back to the main topic (iOS/Android and Consumers), the reason why I can't use an iPhone is cause the screen is too small. 3.5" seems miniscule to me. The iPad is fabulous, though.

Brother brought his i4 and iP2 to my parents' a few days ago and I got to play with them.

Also, I very much dislike the way the App Store kicks you to the home screen when you install an app. That's such a basic usability fail that I'm suprised that made it through Beta.

The biggest win for iOS is that it gets first-class support from developers.

It seems devs rush to implement things like Push Notification and the iOS apps generally do not kill your battery. Android apps even from major players tend to make it to the market as a release version with critical issues. Twitter for Android still renders Galaxy S phones inable to play Media files (YouTube, in Browser, MP3s, even your Ringtones won't work - so you won't even hear your phone ring), but the iOS version is practically flawless.

It's all about the Apps and a seamless ecosystem. Android has a huge advatage due to OEM/Carrier, support, but I prefer both iOS adn WP7 from a usability and "polish" perspective.

Blackberries are good and I feel that some of the apps work better because of RIM's backend (notifications almost never volatile, almost instant, great battery life, etc.) but the way some things work is just a bit archaic these days. They really needed to get the QNX phones ready first, and then the Playbook, IMO.
    ADGrant likes this.
    07-19-11 06:40 AM
    When the survey is done correctly and drawn from a population randomly, a survey of a couple of thousand can very accurately determine the outcomes of the rest of the millions. He's actually right.
    1magine likes this.
    07-19-11 06:46 AM
    PMSL yeh you would say that wouldnt you as you dont even use a Blackberry judging by the devices you use...hows that fragementation working out on Android??...u getting all those lovely updates??...hows the closed eco system working out for on the iphone4??...or have you jailbroken it so you also add more issues into the mix??

Yeh a very accurate article isnt it??...give me a freaking break will ya.

Again, people think bashing devices will make them feel better about their own purchases..this is very sad
    07-19-11 06:48 AM
    The graph accompanying the article is interesting. You see RIM at the top right when the 9000 (and Storm 1) hit in late 2008, followed by a six month decline that levels off for another six months until the time the 9700 was released -- when another decline starts.

There should have been an upswing there. While a lot of people love the 9700, this is when the Torch and perhaps the 9900 should have been released. It would have produced an upswing. And the QNX superphone should have been released last year to produce another.

In other words, the graph shows a pattern of RIM being a year and probably two behind. That's a failure of vision. And that failure comes at the top.
    Laura Knotek and 1magine like this.
    07-19-11 06:55 AM
    This data also shows that Android is more of a me too OS and less desirable than iOS to majority of people. Will be interesting to see how well Android does as law suits and licensing agreements keep eating into profits of companies who use the OS from a company with little to no intellectual property in the phone arena. Also these comments about QNX on handhelds are funny. Do you seriously think they'll release a phone without all of the known BB features? They could do this on a tablet because it isn't a phone and it lets them work out the bugs. Also it is obvious that a lot of people don't understand anything about security and why they can't allow the PB to communicate with the BES infrastructure yet.
    07-19-11 07:17 AM
    The thing is RIM hasen't told anybody what to expect from QNX phones except I believe all screen and top tier. Whatever this means??? From what I understand os7 phones will be the 2nd tier, which is fine for me they look sweet! But what will a QNX phone do that os7 can't? Is it just about opening up BlackBerry to more developers, being able to use C and C++ NDK?
    07-19-11 07:48 AM
    The thing is RIM hasen't told anybody what to expect from QNX phones except I believe all screen and top tier. Whatever this means??? From what I understand os7 phones will be the 2nd tier, which is fine for me they look sweet! But what will a QNX phone do that os7 can't? Is it just about opening up BlackBerry to more developers, being able to use C and C++ NDK?
    Run Android apps, for one thing.
    07-19-11 07:51 AM
    Another navel gazing survey from the States, meh.

This year Brothers RIM (Jim & Mike) finally realize it's no longer 2007, RIM dominance in NA market is over. FUD will bring innovation and the new 1.2 GHz cpu in BB devices is step in the right direction. Brothers RIM realize it's a hardware arms race in NA market.

Last edited by the_sleuth; 07-19-11 at 08:15 AM.
    07-19-11 07:55 AM
    I guess I look at the size of the PB and think about shrinking the PB into a phone. I don't think they can. I mean its all battery. I'm a bit skeptical but would be nice.
    07-19-11 07:56 AM
    You're being facetious, right?

Let me try. 7" screen to 4.3", a sophmore electrical engineer student can do this feat. According to rumors, RIM is testing it on their campus right now. I have confidence in QNX pulling this off on the OS side.

I guess I look at the size of the PB and think about shrinking the PB into a phone. I don't think they can. I mean its all battery. I'm a bit skeptical but would be nice.
    07-19-11 08:22 AM
    This definitely isn't a small part of the big picture. It's indicative of a ongoing trend in the states and abroad. It doesn't help that there hasn't been any major HH releases from RIM recently. But it's a fact more and more BlackBerry users are jumping ship. The release of the 9810 & 99xx will help BlackBerry's market & mind share as a temporary stop gap until QNX HH's. RIM will hold steady at number 3 for a while, which is perfectly fine. Once QNX releases we'll see where RIM stacks up with the competition.
    07-19-11 09:14 AM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD