I won't say it's completely insignificant, but for anyone not already hooked into Apple's ecosystem it's not likely to make much difference.
    Don't think you're giving a precise statement on how this works.

If you buy a car that has CarPlay, on the flip side, your chances of saying "you know, I have this in my car... why not put it to use" also goes up and it drags your chances of buying an iPhone up with it.

If you buy an iPhone, the chances of you getting knee deep in their App and Media Stores goes up. The chances of you wanting an iPad, or MacBook, or iMac, or AppleTV goes up. That's the way these things work.

People, naturally, want to get the most bang for their buck and put well-advertised technology to use.

There are already CarPlay/Siri advertisements playing on television, pretty much since [literally] weeks ago.
    03-04-14 02:26 PM
    Precisely.

(If it is powered by QNX)
    Apple let QNX do all the hard work, put their own iOS layer on top of it, packaged it beautifully, and WILL take full credit for it.

People won't see QNX/BB, they will see the Apple logo. More weight for the Apple brand perception. Apple is in the driving seat whilst Blackberry is stuck in the Trunk, even with many years head start in this industry through QNX.
    Folks in QNX don't care about the general public, meaning that they don't want to sell a single unit to one single person, they want to sell to car manufacturers, and giving the option for people to use what ever phone or platform they have in their car infotainment, it will definitely get automobile manufactures attention.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    03-04-14 03:09 PM
    Gotta give it to Apple (and some credit to the media) for this marketing play. CarPlay is nothing than a further extension of smartphone connectivity to an infotainment system, or in this case QNX but majority of people think/thought Apple actually made an infotainment system (kudos to Apple and the media for that). I could see this being big and exciting news if you're not familiar with today's infotainment systems in cars but if you have any experience with Audi MMI or BMW's iDrive, this shouldn't be a huge surprise.

BMW's iDrive already does this via Connected Apps and their iPhone cradle. It connects to the iPhone and syncs the address book, text and e-mail messages...USING BMW's iDrive UI. All CarPlay does is take this a bit further, instead of using QNX/car manufacturers UI, it slaps on the iOS UI only if a compatible iOS device is used and if you don't have a compatible iOS device, well you're stuck using the stock UI made by the whatever car manufacturer.

Again, this isn't really new news. All this really does is get smartphone integration to cars on a more public level, before it was just connect aux cable to X device and play music.

Personally, this doesn't do anything for me. Unless CarPlay does something huge that I haven't seen or read, I'll stick to and let iDrive handle my smartphone connectivity using their UI.

EDIT: Also, this only really helps cars that don't really have a robust infotainment system. Say you have a Kia or something more mainstream but isn't refined like systems found in Acura, or even Mercedes' COMAND, CarPlay is going to do a lot more than for it vs. using it in something where a system has been worked on for years like Audi's MMI or BMW's iDrive.
    Last edited by BlackBerry.est08; 03-04-14 at 07:54 PM.
    03-04-14 07:34 PM
    Apple doesn't want you to be clear on that. That detracts from their mission of being "in car" technology. You'll need to wait until it comes out or someone gets a closer look at it to get the full, real story. It's hype time now, all they want you to see is nice cars with Apple technology.
    No. They want you to worry that if you don't have an iPhone you may not get the most out of your car. Sells more iPhone's this way.

Posted via CB10
    blackmoe likes this.
    03-04-14 07:44 PM
    I just hope it docks up and syncs up better than my factory ipod connector in my Volvo... SUCK CITY.
    03-04-14 08:40 PM
    You should also note that BB10 devices currently connect to BMW iDrive, read and compose texts and emails, using BB VoiceControl via Bluetooth.
    03-04-14 10:02 PM
    Apple let QNX do all the hard work, put their own iOS layer on top of it, packaged it beautifully, and WILL take full credit for it.

People won't see QNX/BB, they will see the Apple logo. More weight for the Apple brand perception. Apple is in the driving seat whilst Blackberry is stuck in the Trunk, even with many years head start in this industry through QNX.
    Do you care that NASDAQ's database is powered by Microsoft SQL Server? Do you care that billions of devices run Java? How often do you recognize that Qualcomm powers your BB10 device? In this partnership, it is obvious that Apple is front and centre in marketing because they have better brand recognition. At the end of the day, Apple and BB will still get their respective piece of the pie as agreed. Pretty soon, Samsung will also want to create their own version of CarPlay to interface with QNX. (The winner here is BlackBerry in both monetary and image-wise).
    Last edited by deercreekmichael; 03-04-14 at 11:03 PM.
    03-04-14 10:52 PM
    I dont see volkswagen, porsche, audi and mercedes in that list.

Those 4 are very very important global automotive companies. I really really hope QNX gets them.

The big ones lost to apple are definitely BMW, ford, honda, hyundai, kia and toyota.

There is still hope yet!

BlackBerry/QNX has to impress NOW!

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.2141, Z30, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    Mercedes is included. And Ferrari.
    03-04-14 10:58 PM
    A lot of positive buzz has been created here for BlackBerry thanks to Apple. While the real loser here is Microsoft, QNX is finally getting the recognition it deserves. BlackBerry had been sitting on a goldmine and now John Chen has a shovel.
    03-04-14 11:31 PM
    Now that we are slightly better informed im not too fussed.

Carplay is basically airplay but for cars with an added apple iOS UI wrapper around QNX which actually does the computing tasks.

As long as our bb10s are usable with the same functionality as iphone in these cars it doesnt matter too much.

I was just afraid that all these marques have gone exclusive with apple!

03-05-14 04:57 AM
    This is definitely a must-have for my next vehicle. I'll bet the car companies are going to be charging the same price as they do for current nav systems. They know that people aren't going to pay very much for navigation systems now that they have smartphones but are hoping that people will pay to have their smartphone UI displayed on their dash. Where I live it's illegal to do anything with your smartphone while driving other than making a call - including adjusting the volume of the music or podcast you are listening to. I don't think it's allowed even if the vehicle isn't moving. I'm looking forward to it.
    03-05-14 07:48 AM
    I really cant see how the pastel/bright/colourful UI of would suit the the italian prancing horse.

Speaking about italian. Blackberry should let giugiaro, pininfarina design the next phone form from BlackBerry.

That would automatically make it a "designer" must have phone.

03-05-14 09:44 AM

This is (one of) the most horrible interface and accessory implementation I've ever seen. Design of the 80's, windowed transitions, laggy interaction, Siri as a simple voice command (but no real interactions, all is done with the pad - raise the sound to notice) and ... a WIRE ??? REALLY ???

OMG, please, forget this can be related anyhow with QNX.
    Let's shut up and just get the $.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 03-06-14 at 05:40 AM.
    03-06-14 05:16 AM
    Am I correct in my understanding that carplay requires a cable?! In 2014?

Posted via CB10. Join C001A8DC6 for bento-inspired lunch ideas
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    03-06-14 05:37 AM

This is (one of) the most horrible interface and accessory implementation I've ever seen. Design of the 80's, windowed transitions, laggy interaction, Siri as a simple voice command (but no real interactions, all is done with the pad - raise the sound to notice) and ... a WIRE ??? REALLY ???

OMG, please, forget this can be related anyhow with QNX.
    Let's shut up and just get the $.

Yes a wire. Everything we have seen so far with wireless video has been a fairly lame experience. And Bluetooth still has lag, even with BlackBerry 10. It's getting there, but not there yet based on what I have seen. Plus it can charge the phone. While I don't love Apple's use of proprietary connectors, it would be nice to have one that does everything as I don't think they would want HDMI and Micro USB connections. You guys can mock and make fun all you want, but connected cars are getting huge, and iOS support is number 1, Android support is 2, and we BB10 users are an afterthought. What BlackBerry needs to do is make sure that BB10 works better with QNX powered devices than anything else. Ingrained it in the code, bury it so that when a BlackBerry phone is connected, even though the manufacturer is touting Car play, BB10 is not only supported, but is the superior experience.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-14 08:41 AM
    I hope they don't point the finger at QNX for this.
    03-06-14 09:23 AM
    Yes a wire. Everything we have seen so far with wireless video has been a fairly lame experience. And Bluetooth still has lag, even with BlackBerry 10. It's getting there, but not there yet based on what I have seen. Plus it can charge the phone. While I don't love Apple's use of proprietary connectors, it would be nice to have one that does everything as I don't think they would want HDMI and Micro USB connections. You guys can mock and make fun all you want, but connected cars are getting huge, and iOS support is number 1, Android support is 2, and we BB10 users are an afterthought. What BlackBerry needs to do is make sure that BB10 works better with QNX powered devices than anything else. Ingrained it in the code, bury it so that when a BlackBerry phone is connected, even though the manufacturer is touting Car play, BB10 is not only supported, but is the superior experience.

Posted via CB10
    I was going to say... why would you need video support while driving, but I guess that theoretically it would be nice to display video to back seat screens while keeping, say, navigation up on the front screen, that would be cool. I don't know if ios can do that though.

03-06-14 09:43 AM
    I was going to say... why would you need video support while driving, but I guess that theoretically it would be nice to display video to back seat screens while keeping, say, navigation up on the front screen, that would be cool. I don't know if ios can do that though.

Although that (sending video to the back seats) may be some future plan for carplay, I think the "video" in the post you quoted is simply the Carplay UI. Remember, the UI and all the work is done on the iPhone. It's then sent via a video stream to the car's in-dash display. Touch inputs are sent back to the iPhone from the car display and interpreted on the phone.

Think of a backup camera on your car. When you engage reverse, the camera generally kicks on. This takes over your screen (or a portion of your screen) and displays the video from your camera on the dash unit. This is similar to what carplay is doing, it's just taking over the screen, but everything is happening on the phone itself.
    03-06-14 09:52 AM

As of right now, yes. Volvo has said that wireless is coming but no fixed ETA.

Don't mock the hard wiring just yet. I was puzzled too but I also have no idea of how much data and 2-way control will be involved and what tolerance to data interruption or lag will be. You won't get that with a cable but wireless signals are always subject to some iffiness and interference. This is intended to be quite a bit more comprehensive than what phone-entertainment systems currently do. I suspect the parties involved aren't sure either. These smack of very early prototypes (that Mercedes is awful but kind of looks like what the currently offer as an option for back seat passengers)
    03-06-14 09:52 AM
    Posted via CB10
    Mirrolink is independant of transport. So, you can use USB, BT, HDMI, Wifi ...
    MirrorLink is based on a set of well established, non-proprietary technologies. It uses standard Internet technologies (such as Internet Protocol) for compatibility with a wide range of devices. It also uses technologies already common in the car, such as Bluetooth™ and USB, and newly-introduced car technologies such as Wi-Fi as well. Universal Plug and Play (UPnP™) facilitates controlled access to applications. Virtual Network Computing (VNC™) replicates the phone's display on the navigation screen and communicates user prompts back to the phone. In addition to Bluetooth™, MirrorLink™ streams audio with Real-Time Protocol (RTP).
    http://www.mirrorlink.com/about-mirrorlink

I don't deny for HD video and for charging a cable is a must have.
    But what sounds me unbelievable is a demo (with no video involved) where the very first gesture is actually to wire your device.
    A modern approach would be :
    1/ pass your device on a NFC zone to grant access
    2/ put it back in your pocket and drive it remotely from your car system.

I believe most of you have the (U.S.A / Canada) "huge lands" approach where traveling in car for 50 miles may be the norm.
    In Europe, we're talking about "in town" 15-30 minutes drive and frequent in/out, where the wire approach is really a pain.

This was a concept, yet with a BB10 device and QNX, but this is what will make me wow (see when he lays its BB10 on the armrest 0:20).

But if you compare this to the latest QNX demos (Mercedes Class "S") and omit windshield display and automatic drive, you may believe we are very, very close to the current state of the art. And very, very far from this horrible interface.

Last, let's be clear: apple will sell tons, car maker will all adopt.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 03-06-14 at 12:24 PM. Reason: edited to add transport reference, srtiked HDMi, not 100% sure
    03-06-14 12:16 PM
    Although that (sending video to the back seats) may be some future plan for carplay, I think the "video" in the post you quoted is simply the Carplay UI. Remember, the UI and all the work is done on the iPhone. It's then sent via a video stream to the car's in-dash display. Touch inputs are sent back to the iPhone from the car display and interpreted on the phone.

Think of a backup camera on your car. When you engage reverse, the camera generally kicks on. This takes over your screen (or a portion of your screen) and displays the video from your camera on the dash unit. This is similar to what carplay is doing, it's just taking over the screen, but everything is happening on the phone itself.
    In fairness, I didn't watch the clip. I just meant the alleged wireless streaming video lag wouldn't be an issue as you wouldn't be streaming video to your dash... until I thought of the backseat use case.

03-06-14 12:29 PM
    So when will our QNX powered BB10 phones run some forms of iOS? lol

Carplay ads will be all over dealerships and salesmen will demo it during the test drive and all the customer will know is i"Phone in my dashboard. " QNX is Greek to them.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-14 12:53 AM
    So when will our QNX powered BB10 phones run some forms of iOS? lol

Posted via CB10
    You know what, that is theoretically very feasible!

Posted via CB10
    03-07-14 11:46 PM
    Apple will steal all the headlines because.. Apple.
    Love it. So true. I wish BlackBerry had a brand with even 1/100 the strength of Apple's.

There is another thread about "which do you prefer, RIM or BlackBerry?"

My response was "neither". BlackBerry needs a 'clean slate' with consumers.

They should re-brand with the name 'SkyPhone' or whatever. Just not RIM and not BlackBerry...

Posted via CB10
    03-08-14 12:15 AM
199 ... 678