And for that you are willing to pay for a subscription? If you are that is great, but I don't think it will be worthwhile for most customers. I think the business model they are offering will be a fail, but time will tell . Sirius and XM fail to convert about 65% of their free trial customers.
    No subscription for what I mentioned. This is in my 2012 RAM truck. A subscription on the "new" Access system gives you advanced voice text replies, car Wifi, Apps and other crap I would not subscribe to either.
    03-04-14 08:52 AM
    Confirmed: CarPlay runs on QNX

Posted via CB10
    Could this be why Ford is switching (maybe) to QNX? Carplay won't run with Microsoft car OS?? Ooops!
    03-04-14 08:59 AM
    Could this be why Ford is switching (maybe) to QNX? Carplay won't run with Microsoft car OS?? Ooops!
    So here's the thing...again, Carplay does NOT require QNX, nor does QNX require Carplay. In fact, it looks like NONE (Volvo is Android, can't find info on the others) of these concept cars are even running the QNX Car platform, meaning that Carplay hasn't been seen running on QNX at all yet. I know people like to ignore facts and make insane, fantastical statements, but come on, use some common sense.
    Last edited by mikeo007; 03-04-14 at 09:49 AM.
    03-04-14 09:23 AM
    All of the press releases about CarPlay seem to indicate that it is a protocol to for an iPhone to send an H.264 video stream to a dash unit and receive touch inputs. I don't think it requires QNX. It seems more like an option to plug into the touchscreen on your dash and use it to run apps on your smartphone instead of the native UI.

The QNX spokesman said that they have a "partnership with Apple to ensure high-quality connectivity with their devices." To me, that means the video stream and the touch screen will display iOS/CarPlay correctly when connected to an iPhone.

It's an important statement, though, because QNX will allow people to access the iOS ecosystem of nav/maps, music, audiobooks, voice recognition, other streaming, retail apps, etc on its dash systems.

I'm sure the "partnership" pitch from Apple was "We're launching this protocol in March that allows iPhone users, your iPhone users, to connect to dashboard screens and access their apps. Are you in or out?"
    Yeah, it looks like you're probably correct on that one. I was going off n4bb's article.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-14 09:26 AM
    It's possible, although Microsoft has recently softened up a bit regarding keeping its prized jewels like Office off of iOS. I'm sure they would rather keep as many car users as possible in their own ecosystem, the car manufacturers definitely aren't going to allow their dashboards to be locked into any particular smartphone ecosystem if it could cost them sales.
    03-04-14 09:28 AM
    http://www.berryreview.com/2014/03/0...timedia-units/

Posted using Z30. Best of the best Smart phone in the world.
    03-04-14 09:28 AM
    My 2 cents: Blackberry/QNX isnt strong enough brand wise for automakers to place there name on anything. The deal is this system will be in the cars no matter what the consumer thinks, they aren't going to choose a differnt car because of the infotainment(most drivers won't) so they will put the best name they can on it first. I'd guess that "carplay" is simple a step away from BB10Play or Androidplay as soon as its excepted. And once its excepted is a big win for QNX/Blackberry. QNX is already in 50 percent of the car market and will definetly stay in cars, probably growing as we speak so thats a no brainer. The key is for Blackberry to be bulding partnerships on the backend as far as content so when they release another(carplay?) they have all the content they will need to be successful and look successful. Or am I being optimistic?
    03-04-14 09:39 AM
    In this video demo of CarPlay on a new Ferrari, there is an "APPLE CARPLAY" hardware button. There is no mention whether the dash system is QNX or not. They just call it the "Ferrari UI".

Apple's Greg Joswiak appears onstage with Ferrari to introduce new CarPlay-equipped grand tourer
    03-04-14 09:55 AM
    It's possible, although Microsoft has recently softened up a bit regarding keeping its prized jewels like Office off of iOS. I'm sure they would rather keep as many car users as possible in their own ecosystem, the car manufacturers definitely aren't going to allow their dashboards to be locked into any particular smartphone ecosystem if it could cost them sales.
    Yes, from various articles it seems pretty clear the auto companies specifically stated they weren't tied only to Carplay.

What wasn't clear was whether eventually all these UI would be offered together on each model or different UI on different models. I think the first option would be ideal.
    03-04-14 09:57 AM
    And the BGR
    http://bgr.com/2014/03/04/apple-carp...Genius+Report)

03-04-14 10:10 AM
    you might want to check that info again
    Relax, sarcasm! That's all it was. But not practical to stick five fingers to a screen and swipe up to get to something else. That's not called multitasking that's called painful.

You will never convince people otherwise who have used a true multitasking os like blackberry.

Hate solves nothing, Respect gains everything!
    03-04-14 10:23 AM
    And the BGR
    Apple CarPlay: BlackBerry QNX powers Apple’s iOS CarPlay system | BGR

Well it's good to see that BGR's terrible reporting works in both directions. I love how he claims N4BB as a source, then makes a completely wild and erroneous claim that has nothing to do with what N4BB actually posted. Bravo
    03-04-14 10:36 AM
    Apple CarPlay Hands-on - AOL On

Looks like Airplay in the Ferrari is all about Apple, all the time. QNX sadly may just be an answer to a trivia question and not a big part of the market mindshare or conversation
    03-04-14 10:39 AM
    Yes, from various articles it seems pretty clear the auto companies specifically stated they weren't tied only to Carplay.

What wasn't clear was whether eventually all these UI would be offered together on each model or different UI on different models. I think the first option would be ideal.
    maybe future cars will be dual or multi boot?
    03-04-14 10:41 AM
    Well it's good to see that BGR's terrible reporting works in both directions. I love how he claims N4BB as a source, then makes a completely wild and erroneous claim that has nothing to do with what N4BB actually posted. Bravo
    I disagree. The n4bb article is very misleading:

"Could Apple be utilizing the power of QNX to *operate* the CarPlay infotainment system? We've reached out to BlackBerry and QNX to determine if CarPlay is using QNX and will update this post accordingly."
    "We reached out to Paul Leroux at QNX and he has confirmed our presumption"

---

I'm not sure how else to interpret "utilizing the power of QNX to *operate* the CarPlay Infotainment system".

CarPlay uses the car (QNX) as basically a dumb terminal / display. I've never heard someone refer to their display as "operating" the application (in this case, CarPlay running on a iPhone).

It sounds like they're implying that QNX is actually the OS for the CarPlay application.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-14 10:45 AM
    CarPlay can only be a small part of the car infotainment system... activated by iOS devices only... If you have other OS CarPlay is useless and the infotainment system has to have other shell to connect to that device... And the core of it all is QNX!!!
    03-04-14 10:52 AM
    So here's the thing...again, Carplay does NOT require QNX, nor does QNX require Carplay. In fact, it looks like NONE (Volvo is Android, can't find info on the others) of these concept cars are even running the QNX Car platform, meaning that Carplay hasn't been seen running on QNX at all yet. I know people like to ignore facts and make insane, fantastical statements, but come on, use some common sense.
    Um although mutually exclusive...Carplay is not an operating system..it runs on top of an operating system....perhaps Apple tried and failed to get it to run reliably on top of Microsoft Syncs 40 million lines of code...perhaps. Just wild speculation of course..however the closeness of the "Ford leak" leads one to wonder.
    03-04-14 10:52 AM
    Carplay is not an operating system..it runs on top of an operating system.....
    The operating system is iOS running on an iPhone. The UI, data connection, apps, media and other ecosystem are Apple. The touchscreen is QNX or whatever the in-dash unit is. Why would you need to emulate iOS apps on a dash unit when you have the iPhone hardware hooked up it? The in-dash unit is simply a touchscreen for what the phone is displaying and receiving. Not mirroring - it's a custom dash screen UI built into iOS now.
    Last edited by early2bed; 03-04-14 at 11:10 AM.
    03-04-14 11:00 AM
    03-04-14 11:29 AM
    Um although mutually exclusive...Carplay is not an operating system..it runs on top of an operating system....perhaps Apple tried and failed to get it to run reliably on top of Microsoft Syncs 40 million lines of code...perhaps. Just wild speculation of course..however the closeness of the "Ford leak" leads one to wonder.
    Carplay is the name for a bunch of technology that allows your iphone to display a UI on your car's head-unit, and receive touch and voice input back from the head-unit.

Nobody ever said Carplay was an operating system. iOS is the operating system, carplay is a part of ios that allows it to interface with a properly configured car head-unit, regardless of what OS is running on the actual car.
    app_Developer likes this.
    03-04-14 11:34 AM
    N4BB got it wrong. The statement from QNX was kind of misleading since they use "connectivity" to suggest a deeper integration other than just touchscreen. And, amazingly, other outlets are picking it up. Stay tuned for the inevitable clarifications.
    03-04-14 11:59 AM
    Here's an article that correctly interpreted the quote: Apple's CarPlay Works Alongside BlackBerry's QNX Car Platform - Mac Rumors
    03-04-14 12:16 PM
    my simplistic take : carplay is a protocol/software layer above the OS.
    It can be run over QNX (remember: approx 60% of this market) and is/will be able on other underlying OSes too.
    In brief : it's ... an "app".
    dusdal likes this.
    03-04-14 12:51 PM
    my simplistic take : carplay is a protocol/software layer above the OS.
    It can be run over QNX (remember: approx 60% of this market) and is/will be able on other underlying OSes too.
    In brief : it's ... an "app".
    It's even less than an app, it's just a protocol.
    The interaction between the phone and the car is literally a video/audio stream from the phone to the car, and an input stream back from the car to the phone.

You push a button (virtual or physical) on the car headunit, and the video/audio stream switches to the iOS "Carplay" stream.

It doesn't replace any of the built-in functions that the car headunit already does, it simply adds more functionality. Heck, it even works without a car. With the iOS simulator you can actually airplay the whole Carplay interface to an airplay device, lol.
    03-04-14 01:05 PM
    03-04-14 01:16 PM
199 ... 5678