Not enough distractions in our lives. Well I hope all the car manufacturers with whatever system they put in will be installing extra strong bumpers and very good air bags as they will be needed for sure now.
    homer1475 likes this.
    03-03-14 06:19 PM
    Not enough distractions in our lives. Well I hope all the car manufacturers with whatever system they put in will be installing extra strong bumpers and very good air bags as they will be needed for sure now.
    We'll all be just passengers eventually. Lexus owners that have 'Lane Keeping Assist' functionality can attest that future is near not far, legislation will be the hurdle not technology.
    03-03-14 06:38 PM
    What I would like, is that if BlackBerry had built integration for all phones, but everything had a BlackBerry 10 UI/skin on it, so no matter what phone you use, your car looks like it's using BlackBerry 10.

Or a start up message on the screen that said powered by BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    I'm sure BlackBerry would love to be able to do that.

Here's why it won't happen: branding is a very big deal. QNX has to respect the branding of the phones operating on its systems, because if, say, Apple decided they wanted to go it alone then QNX as a platform suddenly becomes a LOT less attractive to the automakers.

On the auto side, while BlackBerry may be basing their own OS on QNX (and, indeed, that new QNX/Qualcomm infotainment system may use some BB10 components), they can't make the "BlackBerry connection" too obvious. As far as supporting platforms goes, they need to be Switzerland.
    03-03-14 07:01 PM
    And some like to pretend they understand when they don't, and some just like to point out others are dumb to boost their already over inflated ego.
    Zinnnnng!

03-03-14 07:21 PM

I actually like the volvo interface better than the Apple Carplay... what do others think?

Should be interesting to see how the market reacts/ changes with apple entering the UI interface game rather than just basic connectivity in the car

Also, it says you need to connect the phone via thunder port for functionality... kind of basic... but easy for everyone i guess

The new QNX vehicle has wireless display technology built in to allow this connection to the phone for playOn services

Posted via CB10
    03-03-14 07:43 PM
    An I seeing this correctly?

Apple made an app for the QNX Car OS. They called it CarPlay.

Right?

Posted via CB10
    anon(5624621) and sidhuk like this.
    03-03-14 07:56 PM
    I thought about this today, pondered over my post and the question and the only thing I could come to was, financial resources. Company A. (you know who it is) has 42 times the money that Company B has. I am sure you can figure out which company is which. That is why Company A has it's product line and Company B has it's but as much as I am a die hard fan for BB it comes down to money and the ability to spend massive amounts on resources like R&D, Market Research, and Advertising. Bottom line.

We'll get there, I'm sure of it.
    03-03-14 07:57 PM

Right?

Posted via CB10
    Basically yes, but the catch is you need an iphone5 or newer to access the features and UI

Posted via CB10
    dusdal likes this.
    03-03-14 07:59 PM
    Will there be a BlackBerry CarPlay?

Posted via CB10
    03-03-14 08:04 PM
    Will there be a BlackBerry CarPlay?

Posted via CB10
    Not in the way you are probably imagining... it wont be a blackberry copy of carplay that you can only use with a BB10... that is just trying to corner the market like apple always tries to do..

QNX car is pretty dam amazing, and it works with everything already, has better UI and some really sweet features... I would take the QNX car over a volvo/apple hybrid any day of the week!

Posted via CB10
    03-03-14 08:15 PM

Right?

Posted via CB10
    No.

Apple created API hooks for auto manufacturers to use.

Auto manufacturers (one using QNX in this case) tied into those APIs to allow Carplay functionality.
    03-03-14 08:21 PM
    Ah, I had thought it was the other way around.

Do you have some documentation you could link me to?

Posted via CB10
    sidhuk likes this.
    03-03-14 08:27 PM
    Ah, I had thought it was the other way around.

Do you have some documentation you could link me to?

Posted via CB10
    It isn't publicly documented yet obviously, but developers have been digging into it for a while now: iOS in the Car discovered buried in iOS 7.0.3, shown off on video | iMore

As per Anand, it's only leveraging the car's built in screen and controls, with the car manufacturer being responsible for supplying the hardware and software interface.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/7827/a...riving-in-2014
    I wouldn't be surprised if QNX has helped develop the interface for any manufacturers that are using the QNX car platform.

There are several manufacturers that are using iOS in the car without the QNX car platform though, so the two don't need each other.
    03-03-14 08:41 PM
    You guys are not understanding how this works. CarPlay will basically be feature within the QNX OS. The in-car infotainment system will still be QNX Car 2. Car manufacturers will still be paying QNX for the OS. Carplay just overrides the UI of the OS and it only works if you get into to car with your iPhone 5, but car manufacturers still need to license QNX for all those people who do not have an iPhone. Keep in mind this feature only works with IPhone 5 and higher. So if you get into the car with another phone you will still be presented with an OS and that will be QNX Car 2.

This is a win for Blackberry because now the OS is more valuable to car companies and more people are going to buy cars with infotainment systems for this feature alone (from what I have read Carplay only works on QNX)

Play Starcraft? Join our Channel: C001242DE
    Isn't it like this already? Auto companies that use QNX overlay their own UI and user experience and make it their own unique QNX implementation? This is basically what apple is doing, and it is based on the driver owning an iPhone. With that said, nothing is stopping Android or Blackberry from doing the same thing. What it really comes down to is apple is utilizing their eco system in car. Android and Blackberry can do the same. This could be a good or bad thing depending on how well each company implements this. Apple and Android obviously have the lead here by default for obvious reasons.
    03-03-14 10:33 PM
    Absolutely and this is the big opportunity lost here for BBRY and why I argue this is bad for BBRY as a whole. They could have been first and best since arguably it would have been "native" and you would think the BBRY device folks would know a thing to 2 about QNXC and what they were doing. For once they could have had the inside track, but for some reason, real or imagined, Apple stole that again.
    Blackberry needs to get the foundation laid first before moving onto these types of initiatives. Foundation = improve core mobile OS and ecosystem. Then move onto bigger things like the in car experience. They have an advantage purely from a potential branding perspective. If they were to ever rename BB10 to QNX, and subsequently get QNX branding on the head units of their partner vehicles, it would go a long way towards helping brand recognition and acceptance.
    03-03-14 10:38 PM

Right?

Posted via CB10
    That is exactly what I was thinking. Apple made an app for another OS...

Posted via CB10
    dusdal and sidhuk like this.
    03-03-14 10:46 PM
    The "thunder"? Just look at CNN, CNBC and all over the press today. It's not about QNX or BBRY, its about Apple and Car Play. 90% of consumers will (wrongly) assume Apple invented this and its all their work.

From CNN: "Apple's announcement marks a push ahead of its tech-industry competitors working to integrate smartphone technology into cars. "

From CNBC: "Tech titans are fighting hard to get their technology into your car. Apple just made a big move in that ongoing battle.The company announced Monday that car makers will begin offering a new technology called CarPlay, which allows consumers to use their iPhones in their cars to make calls, use Maps, listen to music and access messages with their voice or a touch. It works simply: get in the car, plug in the iPhone 5S, 5C or 5 and then use an 8.4-inch on-board display to use all the information on the iPhone."

Rightly or wrongly they have created the impression they are out in front on this - again. IHMO that is thunder stealing act. Of course you are entitled to your own opinion on this.
    In fairness, Apple is out in front. There is no in car BB10 experience, or Android for that matter. QNX as it exists in the car is not Blackberry 10.
    03-03-14 10:48 PM
    That is exactly what I was thinking. Apple made an app for another OS...
    More like QNX and other in-dash platforms are enabling an iPhone to display its UI on the dashboard screen and sending it the user touch inputs. Do you consider your Samsung TV or monitor to be running an iOS app when plugged into an Apple TV?
    dusdal likes this.
    03-03-14 11:02 PM
    I updated the OP's post because as painful as this thread is it's not right to close it either, lol. Hopefully it helps. Hey look, BlackBerryPlay. Maybe they should hold that name for the BlackBerry Google Play client.

OMGitworks likes this.
    03-03-14 11:07 PM
    Confirmed: CarPlay runs on QNX

Posted via CB10
    03-03-14 11:37 PM
    Was that still a question? Somebody posted that Apple and QNX are partners.

The thing is, it won't matter. People will see Apple and will have still never heard of QNX.

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    03-04-14 12:02 AM
    Was that still a question? Somebody posted that Apple and QNX are partners.

The thing is, it won't matter. People will see Apple and will have still never heard of QNX.

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    I think it was still a question. For example, Ford has had a paid QNX license for the entire time it's had MS SYNC in its cars, but Sync never ran on QNX.

So having a license or partnership may not indicate where, how, or even if a partners technology is currently in active use.

Many assumed this was the case (QNX + CarPlay), but this is official confirmation.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-14 12:35 AM
    Unlike most posters on this thread, I'm not worried in the least. I understand that John Chen doesn't sit around and twiddle his thumbs, he acts swiftly and decisively. MWC is a great example, nobody saw the Q20, BES12 nor eBBM coming. The BB/QNX in car system will probably be a fully functional offering built along side Apple Carplay and would be capable of running BB10, Android and WP8 in a rich, native environment. This gives the car manufacturers great platform flexibility and the customer the ability to run multiple devices in their vehicles. A major win for BB/QNX.
    03-04-14 06:26 AM
    Considering we still don't have an app launch screen that works in landscape on a Z10 I don't think BlackBerry is ready for a BB10 experience in the car. Then there would be so many here demanding that their in dash radio come with a belt and a trackpad to make the radio easier to use for the power user.

Posted via CB10
    blackmoe likes this.
    03-04-14 06:51 AM
    Confirmed: CarPlay runs on QNX
    All of the press releases about CarPlay seem to indicate that it is a protocol to for an iPhone to send an H.264 video stream to a dash unit and receive touch inputs. I don't think it requires QNX. It seems more like an option to plug into the touchscreen on your dash and use it to run apps on your smartphone instead of the native UI.

The QNX spokesman said that they have a "partnership with Apple to ensure high-quality connectivity with their devices." To me, that means the video stream and the touch screen will display iOS/CarPlay correctly when connected to an iPhone.

It's an important statement, though, because QNX will allow people to access the iOS ecosystem of nav/maps, music, audiobooks, voice recognition, other streaming, retail apps, etc on its dash systems.

I'm sure the "partnership" pitch from Apple was "We're launching this protocol in March that allows iPhone users, your iPhone users, to connect to dashboard screens and access their apps. Are you in or out?"
    Last edited by early2bed; 03-04-14 at 08:03 AM.
    app_Developer likes this.
    03-04-14 07:36 AM
199 ... 45678