5 pages in... lol

I see some still don't understand.
    03-03-14 02:24 PM
    Fist of all, that is still a rumor at this point, no confirmation.

Secondly and more importantly, QNX and Apple DO NOT compete. They are complimentary. QNX will work with iOS, Android and BBOS. I don't think you should throw stones and tell people to read articles when you aren't clear yourself on how it works and are spreading rumors as gospel.

I think its clear all cars will support iOS and Andriod and most if not all will also support BBOS, esp if QNX becomes the back end of choice. Car makers don't want to limit buyers by limiting smartphone platforms and can't afford not to support iOS and andriod.
    I think the play here with QNX is handling the gauges and sensors a car uses and relaying that info to manufacturers. It can advance a service visit and inform the driver to bring it to a service center because a certain part or component is about to fail or is falling close to accepted level.
    It can help improve the life of the car and at the same time safety of passengers. Lots of possibilities here.

Of course it's great for BB if the interface chosen for infotainment is BB, but regardless of what it is , I believe QNX makes a play on the internal system of the car.

Remember the OTA announcement sometime in October/November time frame of last year.
    zyben and sidhuk like this.
    03-03-14 02:28 PM
    What thunder are you talking about? That the iPhone through a cable connection can interact with the car's infotainment system. Of course it can. So what exactly is the news? Phones have been doing this for a while; some even do it wirelessly.

The "thunder"? Just look at CNN, CNBC and all over the press today. It's not about QNX or BBRY, its about Apple and Car Play. 90% of consumers will (wrongly) assume Apple invented this and its all their work.

From CNN: "Apple's announcement marks a push ahead of its tech-industry competitors working to integrate smartphone technology into cars. "

From CNBC: "Tech titans are fighting hard to get their technology into your car. Apple just made a big move in that ongoing battle.The company announced Monday that car makers will begin offering a new technology called CarPlay, which allows consumers to use their iPhones in their cars to make calls, use Maps, listen to music and access messages with their voice or a touch. It works simply: get in the car, plug in the iPhone 5S, 5C or 5 and then use an 8.4-inch on-board display to use all the information on the iPhone."

Rightly or wrongly they have created the impression they are out in front on this - again. IHMO that is thunder stealing act. Of course you are entitled to your own opinion on this.
    03-03-14 02:28 PM
    I think the play here with QNX is handling the gauges and sensors a car uses and relaying that info to manufacturers. It can advance a service visit and inform the driver to bring it to a service center because a certain part or component is about to fail or is falling close to accepted level.
    It can help improve the life of the car and at the same time safety of passengers. Lots of possibilities here.

Of course it's great for BB if the interface chosen for infotainment is BB, but regardless of what it is , I believe QNX makes a play on the internal system of the car.

Remember the OTA announcement sometime in October/November time frame of last year.
    I agree its a bit apples and oranges (sorry for the pun). QNX will do all that stuff and more its just a shame Apple is once again going to cash in and appear to be the leader on the higher margin stuff while BBRY doesn't have anything like like it yet for the BB10 devices.
    03-03-14 02:31 PM
    5 pages in... lol

I think a lot of late comers to any thread never read what has been discussed before jumping in with their 2 cents.
    03-03-14 02:43 PM
    All I wonder about is whether or not QNX will provide bridge functionality. It won't matter what overlays QNX after that.
    03-03-14 02:45 PM
    5 pages in... lol

and some dont want to understand!!!!!!!!!
    La Emperor likes this.
    03-03-14 02:52 PM
    I'm guessing that the dash unit (QNX or whatever) will have a button, either hardware or software, that will enable CarPlay. It will replace the UI with whatever screen the iPhone is sending over. The in-dash unit will be sending the touch events to the iPhone and that's about it. The apps that are displayed will be determined by the iPhone and run on the iPhone. The user will spend whatever time they want in the native dash UI or in CarPlay or whatever UI from whatever smartphone. The bottom line is that the dash unit does not control the experience anymore.
    03-03-14 02:56 PM
    Guys! If QNX is the underlying system it means that. Yes Car play will be a feature of the infotainment system, but it also allows Carmakers to provide both android, and iOS cat play support as well as BB10 support. Car play is simply something that runs on top of QNX. And I don't think car makers want to ignore the 80% market share of Android. I'd be very surprised if Car play enabled cars couldn't hook up with other phones.

- Developer of PinGuin
    03-03-14 03:18 PM
    5 pages in... lol

Can I trolololol?

Posted via CB10
    03-03-14 03:30 PM
    Does anyone else hate Apple's naming schemes for everything?
    AirPlay, CarPlay, iThis, iThat... makes it all sound like it is made for iDiots
    03-03-14 03:54 PM
    You guys are making it a too big of a deal for Apple. This is basically for iPhone users to use their familiar interface on the car dash board. Apple already owns most of the phone market share. I doubt this will make people buy more iPhones. This could be actually good for Blackberry. Apple is know for working with one partner to control everything. That means, if they chose QNX as an underlying system, it's will be a big win for Blackberry. BB10 user experience could be actually better in the cars than IOS. May be it's a second chance for Blackberry to prove itself. Folks getting better BB10 experience in cars might end up buying BB10 phones.
    03-03-14 03:55 PM
    The "thunder"? Just look at CNN, CNBC and all over the press today. It's not about QNX or BBRY, its about Apple and Car Play. 90% of consumers will (wrongly) assume Apple invented this and its all their work.

From CNN: "Apple's announcement marks a push ahead of its tech-industry competitors working to integrate smartphone technology into cars. "

From CNBC: "Tech titans are fighting hard to get their technology into your car. Apple just made a big move in that ongoing battle.The company announced Monday that car makers will begin offering a new technology called CarPlay, which allows consumers to use their iPhones in their cars to make calls, use Maps, listen to music and access messages with their voice or a touch. It works simply: get in the car, plug in the iPhone 5S, 5C or 5 and then use an 8.4-inch on-board display to use all the information on the iPhone."

Rightly or wrongly they have created the impression they are out in front on this - again. IHMO that is thunder stealing act. Of course you are entitled to your own opinion on this.
    I am assuming you need iPhone for this, right? If so, it is only good as long as it helps Apple gain more market share for iPhones. I think QNX is a real winner here. If QNX is the best underlying system for IOS and Android, that will be a big win for Blackberry. Make BB10 work better with QNX and you could have a recipe for success. In this scenario, QNX is almost like an MDM here, getting used to manage all devices.
    03-03-14 04:01 PM
    In this scenario, QNX is almost like an MDM here, getting used to manage all devices.
    MDM doesn't leverage BB handset sales and QNX won't leverage sales either. Why would a manufacturer build BB10 Hub integration for the car for example when they can just use Carplay or AndroidPlay have 95% of the market and leave basic functionally SMS, voice call to everyone else.
    03-03-14 04:07 PM
    Well if it was all ios, it would really suck having to hit a home button to go to the radio from the gps screen, only to have your directions stop working in the background cause apple can't multi task like BlackBerry. Having to choose between gps or radio would suck!

Glad there is real os' like qnx and bb10 that is way more efficient at running multiple processes seamlessly!

Hate solves nothing, Respect gains everything!
    03-03-14 04:12 PM
    What I would like, is that if BlackBerry had built integration for all phones, but everything had a BlackBerry 10 UI/skin on it, so no matter what phone you use, your car looks like it's using BlackBerry 10.

Or a start up message on the screen that said powered by BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    grover5 likes this.
    03-03-14 04:17 PM
    What I would like, is that if BlackBerry had built integration for all phones, but everything had a BlackBerry 10 UI/skin on it, so no matter what phone you use, your car looks like it's using BlackBerry 10.
    LOL. So much for giving the customer what they want, huh? Perhaps Blackberry can get this kind of system installed on fleet vehicles where the driver has no choice but to accept whatever dashboard UI comes with the vehicle.
    03-03-14 04:22 PM
    Well if it was all ios, it would really suck having to hit a home button to go to the radio from the gps screen, only to have your directions stop working in the background cause apple can't multi task like BlackBerry. Having to choose between gps or radio would suck!

Glad there is real os' like qnx and bb10 that is way more efficient at running multiple processes seamlessly!

Hate solves nothing, Respect gains everything!
    you might want to check that info again
    03-03-14 04:22 PM
    MDM doesn't leverage BB handset sales and QNX won't leverage sales either. Why would a manufacturer build BB10 Hub integration for the car for example when they can just use Carplay or AndroidPlay have 95% of the market and leave basic functionally SMS, voice call to everyone else.
    Why do manufactures need to build HUB? That's a BB10 feature. Airplay here is running on top of QNX, so who is in control here? Apple has basically created an app to run on top of QNX. Airplay is integrating with QNX, based on APIs exposed by QNX. I think QNX is in control here just like IOS is in control when developers create apps for IOS. Main point here is that you need iPhone to make this work. If QNX can have better features/ UI inbuilt, it will not be that big of a deal at all for iPhone since it will not make people buy iPhone for this particular reason. On the other hand , it could be a big deal for QNX if car manufactures start using QNX because of its compatibility with IOS.

About MDM, I think you missed the point that Blackberry is moving away from being a device company and focusing more on the software side. MDM is a big margin business.
    alan510 likes this.
    03-03-14 04:37 PM
    Time for BlackBerry to take advantage of this news. It's an opportunity, not a disaster. QNX is NOT a consumer product. But there is nothing wrong with something like "Apple car play, powered by QNX" or "Android in car solution, powered by QNX". You don't even need to mention BlackBerry as all you are trying to do is increase the QNX profile. Then, if and when, Ford decides to switch from Microsoft to QNX, somebody will notice. The better the brand reputation, the better the chances of partnering in the M2M world. And that can only enhance BlackBerry's overall reputation.
    03-03-14 04:38 PM
    Why do manufactures need to build HUB? That's a BB10 feature. Airplay here is running on top of QNX, so who is in control here? Apple has basically created an app to run on top of QNX. Airplay is integrating with QNX, based on APIs exposed by QNX. I think QNX is in control here just like IOS is in control when developers create apps for IOS. Main point here is that you need iPhone to make this work. If QNX can have better features/ UI inbuilt, it will not be that big of a deal at all for iPhone since it will not make people buy iPhone for this particular reason. On the other hand , it could be a big deal for QNX if car manufactures start using QNX because of its compatibility with IOS.

About MDM, I think you missed the point that Blackberry is moving away from being a device company and focusing more on the software side. MDM is a big margin business.
    Well if you think BB is going to mainly an enterprise level business than QNX won't have a big role there right?

The point is the dash will just be an extension of the phone ecosystem. Everything you do with your fingers can be done in the dash UI or via voice. Someone sends you iMessage or Android chat message you respond or if parked request a Facetime/Hangout session or send a map link where you are currently or a menu of the restaurant are trying to decide on. Or NEST sends you a snapshot if someone rings your doorbell so you know you had a delivery. BB will be even more handicapped as a handset business as QNX as a background system is agnostic and provides no special features for BB.
    03-03-14 04:45 PM
    Well if you think BB is going to mainly an enterprise level business than QNX won't have a big role there right?

The point is the dash will just be an extension of the phone ecosystem. Everything you do with your fingers can be done in the dash UI or via voice. Someone sends you iMessage or Android chat message you respond or if parked request a Facetime/Hangout session or send a map link where you are currently or a menu of the restaurant are trying to decide on. Or NEST sends you a snapshot if someone rings your doorbell so you know you had a delivery. BB will be even more handicapped as a handset business as QNX as a background system is agnostic and provides no special features for BB.
    Blackberry has already lost the device war. It's not about devices anymore. For Blackberry to survive, it needs to fight where it can make money. May be it can regain some device business if it focuses on its strong points, like QNX, BES MDM), BBM etc by changing its brand image. Device business has a lot do with consumer perception and brand image and Blackberry has lost that big time, thanks to TH and team. Blackberry needs to fight this from its strong holds and then try to make come back in the device business.
    03-03-14 04:58 PM
    Can I trolololol?

Posted via CB10
    Since when did you start asking? :P
    03-03-14 05:09 PM
    Since when did you start asking? :P
    I was trying to be respectful.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-14 05:24 PM
    and some dont want to understand!!!!!!!!!
    And some like to pretend they understand when they don't, and some just like to point out others are dumb to boost their already over inflated ego.
    03-03-14 05:45 PM
199 ... 34567 ...