Seems pretty clear to me...am I missing something? If you don't have an iPhone, you don't get Apple car play. The rest of the head unit functions will work like they would normally with another phone, but having an iPhone gives you additional features.

Exactly. The significance to this is that if you're an iPhone user and you're shopping for a new car, this might influence your decision. You may be more likely to pick a car with this feature than one without.

If you're a non-Apple user and shopping for a new phone, this isn't going to make much of a difference.
    mago72 likes this.
    03-03-14 12:15 PM
    Could it be that BlackBerry, Microsoft and Android will later on build their own "car play" on top of QNX?

From my Z10.
    Absolutely and this is the big opportunity lost here for BBRY and why I argue this is bad for BBRY as a whole. They could have been first and best since arguably it would have been "native" and you would think the BBRY device folks would know a thing to 2 about QNXC and what they were doing. For once they could have had the inside track, but for some reason, real or imagined, Apple stole that again.
    03-03-14 12:18 PM
    Hello people...what do you call this:
    Uconnect® Access | The next generation of connectivity has arrived
    It's real it's right now and it works great with my Z30....but NOT with an iphone.
    Looks like it's a Chrysler-specific service? So not quite the same thing.
    03-03-14 12:18 PM
    You get texting integration, and obviously A2DP and handsfree calling.

But do you get app integration? This page Uconnect® Access | The next generation of connectivity has arrived says app integration is supported only on iOS and Android. The app is listed as available in Google Play and the App Store.
    You get Bluetooth Streaming Music via BB10 aptX codec which gives you incredible sound quality. No cords or other crap..just get in vehicle with phone and play really good quality music. My satellite radio sucks in sound quality compared to this. For me the app thing is just a stupid gimmick...love nice music and love the voice text messages. And I'm sure BB10 will run the Android app...well 90% sure.
    03-03-14 12:19 PM
    the more of this is see, the more I want to keep my old rust bucket on the road.
    the most complex things it has are electric windows. maybe the cigarettepower2usb adapter.
    dirtnapper75 likes this.
    03-03-14 12:19 PM
    Could it be that BlackBerry, Microsoft and Android will later on build their own "car play" on top of QNX?
    I'm sure Google is working on their own and I'll bet Samsung is developing a proprietary one. In the end, each platform will probably capture a percentage of car buyers in proportion to their market share. There is no longer an opportunity for one platform to establish an in-vehicle user base for their platform which, I imagine, is the reason why Blackberry bought QNX in the first place.
    03-03-14 12:21 PM
    As bla1ze said, you can keep saying it...but no one will read...cause....its apple lol, I really don't understand how this can be a loss for bbry if carplay still depends on qnx...

Posted via CB10
    Lost opportunity for BB devices to be first and best in this space. When a very minor part of your business denies a much larger segment the chance to be first and best, I chalk it up as a loss.

You are right tho, it will would create more revenue if somebody buys a car solely because of Apple compatibility. .
    03-03-14 12:26 PM
    Given the power of QNX, the smartest thing that any car manufacturer (And QNX itself) could do, is have unique in-car experiences for different mobiles.

I.E. CarPlay if you have an iPhone, a Blend-like experience if you're running BB10, and some form of "GoogleCar" for Android users, and an improved Sync experience for Windows Phone.

No reason why these platforms couldn't all run on top of QNX simultaneously. It would just read the OS running on the phone and pick the right module accordingly.
    OMGitworks and anon4287986 like this.
    03-03-14 12:27 PM
    You get Bluetooth Streaming Music via BB10 aptX codec which gives you incredible sound quality. No cords or other crap..just get in vehicle with phone and play really good quality music. My satellite radio sucks in sound quality compared to this. For me the app thing is just a stupid gimmick...love nice music and love the voice text messages. And I'm sure BB10 will run the Android app...well 90% sure.
    And for that you are willing to pay for a subscription? If you are that is great, but I don't think it will be worthwhile for most customers. I think the business model they are offering will be a fail, but time will tell . Sirius and XM fail to convert about 65% of their free trial customers.
    03-03-14 12:34 PM
    Given the power of QNX, the smartest thing that any car manufacturer (And QNX itself) could do, is have unique in-car experiences for different mobiles.

I.E. CarPlay if you have an iPhone, a Blend-like experience if you're running BB10, and some form of "GoogleCar" for Android users, and an improved Sync experience for Windows Phone.

No reason why these platforms couldn't all run on top of QNX simultaneously. It would just read the OS running on the phone and pick the right module accordingly.
    Sure, you sync your phone via BT and up comes a native working UI running on top of QNX. But how does BB get car manufacturers to add a BB10 interface to their models given their low marketplace presence and that apparently QNX doesn't give BB any capability that doesn't exist with their competitors.
    03-03-14 12:35 PM
    That doesn't make any sense from the user perspective. All of my data including my up-to-date contacts, my Starbucks card, audiobooks, streaming music subscription, customized voice recognition engine and my apps are on my smarphone. QNX would have to ask the smartphone for the contact data and do what? Make the call for me? My phone has the data, the voice plan, and the LTE radio.

Why would I want QNX to do anything other than drive the touch display and amplify the sound?
    03-03-14 12:38 PM
    Most likely QNX is under all these OS interfaces, iOS, Android, WP, BB10, etc.
    Ford really has no choice but to move to QNX, unless they want to be stuck with just Windows.
    03-03-14 12:38 PM
    Wherever that post went about "other devices" and Blue tooth streaming..no it's not quite the same. A2DP is a streaming transport mechanism rather than a codec. AptX (codec with compression algorithm) contains support for higher bitrate audio (384kbps for 2 channels).
    03-03-14 12:40 PM
    So you can plug your iPhone into the car infotainment system with the lightening connector. Wow that's exciting. I guess the concept of wireless communications never really dawned on Apple.

Now that my snarky comment is out of the way, Of course iPhones are going to interact with a Car infotainment system. So will Android, Blackberries and Windows. That is the whole damn point, is it not. The difference is that the underlying software is QNX and this provides Blackberry a bit of native advantage. Things will run just a bit more smoothly. QNX is also slowly breaking down Apple's walled garden approach to software development. This is a good thing.
    zyben likes this.
    03-03-14 12:52 PM
    So you can plug your iPhone into the car infotainment system with the lightening connector. Wow that's exciting. I guess the concept of wireless communications never really dawned on Apple.

Now that my snarky comment is out of the way, Of course iPhones are going to interact with a Car infotainment system. So will Android, Blackberries and Windows. That is the whole damn point, is it not. The difference is that the underlying software is QNX and this provides could have provided Blackberry a bit of native advantage. Things will could have run just a bit more smoothly. QNX is also slowly breaking down Apple's walled garden approach to software development. This is a good thing.
    You are assuming BB took advantage of this, which would have made sense, but so far, we just don't know and Apple has stolen the thunder here.
    03-03-14 12:58 PM
    Looks like it's a Chrysler-specific service? So not quite the same thing.
    And $20 per month after the free trial expires.
    03-03-14 01:01 PM
    The difference is that the underlying software is QNX and this provides Blackberry a bit of native advantage. Things will run just a bit more smoothly.
    CarPlay integration will initially require a Lightning cable, though Volvo revealed that Wi-Fi support is "coming in the near future." The connection is based on a streaming H.264 video feed that returns user input from the touchscreen.

The information from Volvo suggests a video feed from the iPhone and touchscreen input returned from the dash unit. It doesn't seem to require much heavy lifting on the part of the dash unit. I don't see how a QNX device will make this kind of connection more smoothly.

A physical connection probably makes the connection a little faster as well as enables the smartphone to charge since nav and roaming data connections always drains handset batteries.

I can think of one advantage that Blackberry has as the owner of QNX. They can always put the belt and trackpad on the dashboard unit making it more compatible with BB10 devices.
    03-03-14 01:08 PM
    Seems pretty clear to me...am I missing something? If you don't have an iPhone, you don't get Apple car play. The rest of the head unit functions will work like they would normally with another phone, but having an iPhone gives you additional features.

I've had some back and forth with Volvo today. Their experience without CarPlay is awesome. They certainly aren't tailoring their experience to Apple only devices. Have a look at their video here:

https://www.media.volvocars.com/us/e.../139230/videos
    03-03-14 01:16 PM
    You are assuming BB took advantage of this, which would have made sense, but so far, we just don't know and Apple has stolen the thunder here.
    What thunder are you talking about? That the iPhone through a cable connection can interact with the car's infotainment system. Of course it can. So what exactly is the news? Phones have been doing this for a while; some even do it wirelessly.
    03-03-14 01:36 PM
    Well funny that FORD has confirmed to be using QNX as its in car infotainment center, so that rules out apple there. Also isn't BMW getting in on the QNX loveliness? Car makers are going to have to open it for all to use. I wouldn't buy any car that is apple/Android/ insert new os here, interactive only. Never in a million years would they see a dime from me. Well I checked out the link yu psted, no mention of Ford, BMW at the bottom at all. Maybe you need to actually read the article that you are posting links to before commenting first. Future models does not mean a definite thing.
    03-03-14 01:40 PM
    Well funny that FORD has confirmed to be using QNX as its in car infotainment center, so that rules out apple there. Also isn't BMW getting in on the QNX loveliness? Car makers are going to have to open it for all to use. I wouldn't buy any car that is apple/Android/ insert new os here, interactive only. Never in a million years would they see a dime from me.
    No they haven't confirmed anything: Ford hasn't decided on QNX for future Sync sytems just yet | CrackBerry.com

But it doesn't matter either way, both systems can and will co-exist on many vehicles. Likewise, iOS car play does not require QNX, nor does QNX require iOS car play.
    03-03-14 01:42 PM
    CarPlay integration will initially require a Lightning cable, though Volvo revealed that Wi-Fi support is "coming in the near future." The connection is based on a streaming H.264 video feed that returns user input from the touchscreen.

The information from Volvo suggests a video feed from the iPhone and touchscreen input returned from the dash unit. It doesn't seem to require much heavy lifting on the part of the dash unit. I don't see how a QNX device will make this kind of connection more smoothly.

A physical connection probably makes the connection a little faster as well as enables the smartphone to charge since nav and roaming data connections always drains handset batteries.

I can think of one advantage that Blackberry has as the owner of QNX. They can always put the belt and trackpad on the dashboard unit making it more compatible with BB10 devices.
    Sure, there is nothing wrong with a physical connection but wireless is the way to go. In this day and age, there is no reason for a phone to be slow especially if your are doing something as simple as playing a song list.
    03-03-14 01:43 PM
    QNX CAR Platform for Infotainment
    http://utbblogs.com/car-talk/qnx-confirms/

“As you may already know, connectivity to smartphones and other mobile devices is a key strength of QNX Software Systems�� platform for car infotainment systems, and many automakers and tier one automotive suppliers use our platform to implement smartphone/head-unit integration in their vehicles. We have a long-standing partnership with Apple to ensure high-quality connectivity with their devices, and this partnership extends to support for Apple CarPlay.”
    OMGitworks, zyben, dusdal and 2 others like this.
    03-03-14 02:02 PM
    imagine everyone using Apple maps :S

People have ran off cliffs using their maps and apple maps is frowned upon in Australia...

I would be fine with apple if they let other phones sync with their stuff and make it multi-platform just like every other company... Oh, and if they weren't patent trolls.
    03-03-14 02:06 PM
    Well funny that FORD has confirmed to be using QNX as its in car infotainment center, so that rules out apple there. Also isn't BMW getting in on the QNX loveliness? Car makers are going to have to open it for all to use. I wouldn't buy any car that is apple/Android/ insert new os here, interactive only. Never in a million years would they see a dime from me. Well I checked out the link yu psted, no mention of Ford, BMW at the bottom at all. Maybe you need to actually read the article that you are posting links to before commenting first. Future models does not mean a definite thing.

Fist of all, that is still a rumor at this point, no confirmation.

Secondly and more importantly, QNX and Apple DO NOT compete. They are complimentary. QNX will work with iOS, Android and BBOS. I don't think you should throw stones and tell people to read articles when you aren't clear yourself on how it works and are spreading rumors as gospel.

I think its clear all cars will support iOS and Andriod and most if not all will also support BBOS, esp if QNX becomes the back end of choice. Car makers don't want to limit buyers by limiting smartphone platforms and can't afford not to support iOS and andriod.
    03-03-14 02:18 PM
199 ... 23456 ...