What I'm not clear on: if I'm not using an Apple device, am I going to get the same in-car experience? Or am I going to get a different interface if I use a non-Apple phone?
    03-03-14 11:14 AM
    You guys are not understanding how this works. CarPlay will basically be feature within the QNX OS. The in-car infotainment system will still be QNX Car 2. Car manufacturers will still be paying QNX for the OS. Carplay just overrides the UI of the OS and it only works if you get into to car with your iPhone 5, but car manufacturers still need to license QNX for all those people who do not have an iPhone. Keep in mind this feature only works with IPhone 5 and higher. So if you get into the car with another phone you will still be presented with an OS and that will be QNX Car 2.

This is a win for Blackberry because now the OS is more valuable to car companies and more people are going to buy cars with infotainment systems for this feature alone (from what I have read Carplay only works on QNX)

Play Starcraft? Join our Channel: C001242DE
    03-03-14 11:22 AM
    Does it really matter? What if QNX is embedded in all these cars whether they use android, Windows, iOS, bb10, etc... that's what matters the most. to have a monopoly without anyone knowing.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Nope. Hence my short comments on it. Mass majority have no freaking clue what's in their car nor do they care as long as it works.
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    03-03-14 11:23 AM
    What I'm not clear on: if I'm not using an Apple device, am I going to get the same in-car experience? Or am I going to get a different interface if I use a non-Apple phone?
    Apple doesn't want you to be clear on that. That detracts from their mission of being "in car" technology. You'll need to wait until it comes out or someone gets a closer look at it to get the full, real story. It's hype time now, all they want you to see is nice cars with Apple technology.
    03-03-14 11:24 AM
    You guys are not understanding how this works. CarPlay will basically be feature within the QNX OS. The in-car infotainment system will still be QNX Car 2. Car manufacturers will still be paying QNX for the OS. Carplay just overrides the UI of the OS and it only works if you get into to car with your iPhone 5, but car manufacturers still need to license QNX for all those people who do not have an iPhone. Keep in mind this feature only works with IPhone 5 and higher. So if you get into the car with another phone you will still be presented with an OS and that will be QNX Car 2.

This is a win for Blackberry because now the OS is more valuable to car companies and more people are going to buy cars with infotainment systems for this feature alone (from what I have read Carplay only works on QNX)

As bla1ze said, you can keep saying it...but no one will read...cause....its apple lol, I really don't understand how this can be a loss for bbry if carplay still depends on qnx...

Posted via CB10
    03-03-14 11:27 AM
    Wait are people saying this is a loss because it's not BB10? Lol

Posted via CB10
    03-03-14 11:28 AM
    You don't get the economics of it all. QNX does all the hard work for a few bucks, Apple gets all the glory and bigger $$$. Unfortunately too familiar a story, but true. Every dollar Apple gets, BBRY loses.
    QNX doesn't do "all the hard work". QNX doesn't do much at all, which is why Blackberry only makes a couple bucks/cents. Don't you think the license fees have much to do with their importance?

And Blackberry hardly did any "work" on QNX. Embedded OSes are not super dynamic OSes like consumer grade desktop or smartphone OSes. QNX today is unlikely to be much different from QNX when it bought it or QNX from a decade ago.

People are giving BBRY credit for everything for something marginal that it bought (not significantly contributed to) for a correspondingly marginal price. Extolling an embedded OS is not so far away from worshipping the nuts and bolts of the car.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 03-03-14 at 11:53 AM.
    03-03-14 11:32 AM
    I am sure all devices will be basically useable, like now. Just that you don't get the goodies. At least that is how I am interpreting it.

Am a bit puzzled by the cable requirement. It's nice to be able to hook up via BT. I am wondering if latency is an issue, or just the sheer amount of data being pumped across.
    That will probably eventually come with the same interface that iWatch will communicate with Iphone its just not ready yet for this version.

For the car eco-system this is a lose long term for BB. You can work to replace the backend services that QNX provides and keep the same user experience for Iphone/Android/MS down the road and no one will notice or complain. Its much harder to leverage QNX to provide consumers BB10.
    03-03-14 11:39 AM
    QNX system is nice and I like that it works with android and apple. It's good that blackbbery is acting this way just like for enterprise. They going for a full support for all brands. BB will be the unknows service company who earns there money thanks to all brands.

Thanks to blackberry QNX your porsche 911 is using all there horsepowers in the right way , no spoiling in there and the sotware made this car great.
    03-03-14 11:42 AM
    Makes perfect sense for Apple to partner with QNX on this one. The only thing that could kill Apple is to make customers unhappy with a very high dollar purchase on which they are stuck making payments. CarPlay NEEDS to work right from day 1. People can't switch cars like they switch phones when most people these days are upside down on their loans for the first couple of years. Microsoft was okay in cars for years because nobody expected much from them "It's Microsoft; it's going to crash from time to time". Apple is held to a much different standard
    03-03-14 11:43 AM
    to all "it is a loss sayers":

What if QNX denied to work as underlying system? Apple would have moved on.... because most of the people want Apple "features" and therefore it does not matter if QNX can deliver something more powerful, even with a more beautiful interface or not. Its not Apple. The End.

There are so many areas in this world where weaker, less functional and more comfortable software /systems are used, because the user wants it, and not because its the best. (Think about embedded android...)

And at last but not least, tell me how BlackBerry should win a "hype time" war against the company thats the "hype". There is no win in a frontal fight. Sorry, every car that will be sold with "carplay" is also a car sold with a SIL 3 compatible operating system, made in canada. Bam. The End. Perhaps less revenue for QNX thant Apple , BUT after years of using QNX, QNX is more important to Apple than now Apple is to QNX, because the whole carplay thing is designed and extended to work with QNX.

long term !

regards
    03-03-14 11:43 AM
    Wait are people saying this is a loss because it's not BB10? Lol
    It's not a loss for QNX. But people are disappointed for BlackBerry because at one time there was this myth that if BB bought QNX and BB10 was based on QNX, then there would be this magical interconnection between these different QNX devices that would fuel BlackBerry's resurgence. Remember Heins talking about parking meters or some such thing?

The reality, as we're seeing now, is that if you get into your new QNX powered car with your QNX powered phone, you get ordinary A2DP and handsfree calling. OTOH, if you get into your new QNX powered car with your iOS powered phone, you get this really integrated experience.
    03-03-14 11:44 AM
    QNX system is nice and I like that it works with android and apple. It's good that blackbbery is acting this way just like for enterprise. They going for a full support for all brands. BB will be the unknows service company who earns there money thanks to all brands
    Reminds me of when Home Depot bought the bank that issued Lowe's credit cards. They made money even when people shopped at the competitor lol

The lesson here is that Lowe's quietly took their business in-house eventually...
    03-03-14 11:46 AM
    QNX doesn't do "all the hard work". QNX doesn't do much at all, which is why Blackberry only makes a couple bucks/cents. Don't you think the license fees have much to do with their importance?

And Blackberry hardly did any "work" on QNX. Embedded OSes are not super dynamic OSes like consumer grade desktop or smartphone OSes.
    Tell me, isn't a cent or a couple of bucks better than nothing at all? Apple and BlackBerry are no longer in the same league (at least at the moment) so all those cents and bucks might make quite an impact on BBRY bottom line. Remember Bill Gates? He started building the microsoft empire by getting a buck for every PC. "LITTLE RAINS MAKE MIGHTY OCEAN".
    03-03-14 11:52 AM

This is the most informative post so far. Thanks.

No wonder BlackBerry shares are on a slight rise today when the market is going down.

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.2141, Z30, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    03-03-14 11:53 AM
    to all "it is a loss sayers":

What if QNX denied to work as underlying system? Apple would have moved on.... because most of the people want Apple "features" and therefore it does not matter if QNX can deliver something more powerful, even with a more beautiful interface or not. Its not Apple. The End.

There are so many areas in this world where weaker, less functional and more comfortable software /systems are used, because the user wants it, and not because its the best. (Think about embedded android...)

And at last but not least, tell me how BlackBerry should win a "hype time" war against the company thats the "hype". There is no win in a frontal fight. Sorry, every car that will be sold with "carplay" is also a car sold with a SIL 3 compatible operating system, made in canada. Bam. The End. Perhaps less revenue for QNX thant Apple , BUT after years of using QNX, QNX is more important to Apple than now Apple is to QNX, because the whole carplay thing is designed and extended to work with QNX.

long term !

regards
    QNX will never be more important to Apple than Apple is to QNX. The second QNX doesn't support iOS or Android , it is done. Want to bet it is required functionality under the QNX contracts with the car companies? You are confusing the windshield and the bug. It does produce some revenue, but it's a win for Apple. It's the advantage that comes with being so popular, right now. What bbry didn't do and probably couldn't do was leverage QNX for the BlackBerry devices. Now maybe that is coming with "native " functionally. If so it better be soon.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-14 11:54 AM
    This is not much of a loss for Blackberry because Blackberry never really had much of a chance, here. All Apple is doing is enabling a UX interface for a car and telling car companies that they can either participate or not. Who is going to say no to all those iPhone users, especially, if they are going to be seeing it work in other vehicles. Nothing makes you want to upgrade vehicles more than renting a car and finding out how much better your smartphone works with other systems. I guess the fact that you aren't breaking any laws by touching your in-dash screen is a plus these days.

The processor, GPS functions, connectivity, music, and apps will all be on the iPhone. The ecosystem of apps, maps, data, weather, connectivity, audio content, will be Apple's. Every iOS app developer will be able to target the CarPlay UX if they wish including Waze, Rdio, Stitcher, weather app, Nest (home thermostat), Starbucks, Papa Johns, WalMart, etc. They will let the developers/retailers decide what functionality they wish to enable such as ordering your pizza or Starbucks before you get there using voice commands.

I'm sure that like iTunes Sync, it will do it by Bluetooth if necessary but will be much faster and less battery-draining to use the lightning adapter. Plus, it never hurts to charge up the phone while driving, especially while using GPS.

Blackberry's leverage is "We already run your car infotainment system." Apple's leverage is "This is what your customers want."
    TGR1 likes this.
    03-03-14 11:55 AM
    Apple doesn't want you to be clear on that. That detracts from their mission of being "in car" technology. You'll need to wait until it comes out or someone gets a closer look at it to get the full, real story. It's hype time now, all they want you to see is nice cars with Apple technology.
    Seems pretty clear to me...am I missing something? If you don't have an iPhone, you don't get Apple car play. The rest of the head unit functions will work like they would normally with another phone, but having an iPhone gives you additional features.

Thunderbuck likes this.
    03-03-14 11:55 AM
    What I find extremely annoying about apple is you can only use apple stuff with other applle stuff...

Posted via CB10
    Yes but they work perfectly together, no bugs, no lags or hiccups, it's a big upside, I prefer something that works, instead of something that works when the weather is good.
    03-03-14 11:56 AM
    Hello people...what do you call this:
    Uconnect® Access | The next generation of connectivity has arrived
    It's real it's right now and it works great with my Z30....but NOT with an iphone.
    03-03-14 12:05 PM
    It's real it's right now and it works great with my Z30....but NOT with an iphone.
    You get texting integration, and obviously A2DP and handsfree calling.

But do you get app integration? This page Uconnect® Access | The next generation of connectivity has arrived says app integration is supported only on iOS and Android. The app is listed as available in Google Play and the App Store.
    cwalt2166 likes this.
    03-03-14 12:11 PM
    Actually, I came across a news item that said this system would only be compatible with iPhone 5, 5S, and 5C. If you have an Android, BB, or even an older iPhone you're SOL.

This is not the blow that some are trying to claim; the new QNX/Qualcomm UI is pretty decent, too. The main draws to this are that it's consistent with Apple's UI and the availability of Siri. Just as an aside, none of the iPhone users I know actually use Siri for anything, though in a moving car she might be more useful.

I won't say it's completely insignificant, but for anyone not already hooked into Apple's ecosystem it's not likely to make much difference.
    03-03-14 12:12 PM
    Just curious why this is here in BB news. People flip their sh*t whenever somebody posts bad news about Apple here, but I guess this is ok.
    I think I'm like most people who have bought car infotainment systems over the past decade or so. Here's what I don't need: 1) Some baked-in UI that wasn't thought out all that well which I have to live with for the next 7-10 years; 2) The opportunity to "upgrade" my nav map for a couple hundred dollars every year at the dealership; 3) The opportunity to subscribe to a connectivity service that duplicates what I already pay for with my smartphone whether it be calling, texting, music, talk, etc.
    app_Developer and OMGitworks like this.
    Could it be that BlackBerry, Microsoft and Android will later on build their own "car play" on top of QNX?

From my Z10.
    03-03-14 12:13 PM
199 12345 ...