I saw the carplay website page. Mercedes is on the carplay bandwagon. I thought they and BlackBerry had a partnership going.

Ah well..

So I guess everyone has to buy an iphone now.

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.2141, Z30, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    03-03-14 10:02 AM
    QNX and Apple are not in direct competition; as a matter of fact they compliment each other. QNX does the back end work and Apple does the front end. Highly doubt that these Auto makers will restrict their "dashboards" to one OS platform; I'm sure, at the very least, they are aware there are many Android users who drive their cars.
    03-03-14 10:07 AM
    Yeah. This is a loss. This was BlackBerry's vision as well, but Apple actually delivered. BlackBerry did not.
    It's such a loss that QNX is the kernel beneath that Apple system lol...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    FastLane228 likes this.
    03-03-14 10:11 AM
    QNX and Apple are not in direct competition; as a matter of fact they compliment each other. QNX does the back end work and Apple does the front end. Highly doubt that these Auto makers will restrict their "dashboards" to one OS platform; I'm sure, at the very least, they are aware there are many Android users who drive their cars.
    Thanks for that. The question is will car play work as well with BlackBerries? On the website apple stated compatibility only with the iphone 5 generation.

wincyUt likes this.
    03-03-14 10:16 AM
    I wonder if we'll see a few options like this.
    If you have an iPhone/iPad you can project this UI on your screen.
    If you have an Android device, you can project your Google UI on the screen.
    If you have BlackBerry, Android and others you can project your entire screen onto the console (through realVNC and other means).

The manufacturer has their own UI that can be great on its own.
    03-03-14 10:20 AM
    Apple will not be able to do it without QNX software running in the background. Apple still uses QNX to do this.
    03-03-14 10:21 AM
    03-03-14 10:21 AM
    Well in the section where I work for, I have seen like 8 flagships Android vs 1 Iphone 5S (zero BB10), so the bloated term is not that exact, btw 3 of those people have brand new 2014 cars, interesting?
    03-03-14 10:23 AM
    Apple will not be able to do it without QNX software running in the background. Apple still uses QNX to do this.
    You can keep on repeating it but no one reads and Apple will steal all the headlines because.. Apple.
    03-03-14 10:30 AM
    You can keep on repeating it but no one reads and Apple will steal all the headlines because.. Apple.
    Does it really matter? What if QNX is embedded in all these cars whether they use android, Windows, iOS, bb10, etc... that's what matters the most. to have a monopoly without anyone knowing.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    anon4287986, bungaboy and wincyUt like this.
    03-03-14 10:33 AM
    And no car manufacturer will use QNX if it doesn't support iOS

Posted via CB10
    03-03-14 10:40 AM
    So blackberry/qnx didnt win the ford contract from microsoft and apple did?

Ford hasn't committed to anyone yet.
    richardat likes this.
    03-03-14 10:42 AM
    Apple CarPlay is a collaboration between Apple and QNX kind of like my Xbox is a collaboration between Microsoft and Vizio - nobody cares what you plug your console into as long it's a TV. The experience and the ecosystem, sales, upgrades, software, etc. belong to Microsoft.
    03-03-14 10:43 AM
    I dont see volkswagen, porsche, audi and mercedes in that list.

Those 4 are very very important global automotive companies. I really really hope QNX gets them.

The big ones lost to apple are definitely BMW, ford, honda, hyundai, kia and toyota.

There is still hope yet!

BlackBerry/QNX has to impress NOW!

Don't know about the others but Audi at least has signed on with Google in that open alliance or whatever it is called.
    03-03-14 10:43 AM
    Don't know about the others but Audi at least has signed on with Google in that open alliance or whatever it is called.
    I hope it ends up that cars are compatible with both. I don't know about you guys, but I tend to own cars for a long time. I don't want to be committed to one platform to get the best experience with my car.

That's worse than a 2yr carrier contract. Much worse.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    MidnightSociety likes this.
    03-03-14 10:49 AM
    I've no idea who Audi is in bed with.
    QNX powering the 2015 Audi TT user-programmable instrument cluster | CrackBerry.com
    03-03-14 10:50 AM
    I hope it ends up that cars are compatible with both. I don't know about you guys, but I tend to own cars for a long time. I don't want to be committed to one platform to get the best experience with my car.

I don't see car manufacturers being that stupid to only offer 1 platform. Hense the power of QNX to control any platform.

Posted via CB10
    zyben, bungaboy, mago72 and 1 others like this.
    03-03-14 10:53 AM
    Apple CarPlay is a collaboration between Apple and QNX kind of like my Xbox is a collaboration between Microsoft and Vizio - nobody cares what you plug your console into as long it's a TV. The experience and the ecosystem, sales, upgrades, software, etc. belong to Microsoft.
    Except in this case the interface is all Apple. 99% of users won't know and won't care about QNX. It will look just like their iPhone or Android device but on the vehicle touchscreen. Big difference

Posted via CB10
    milo53 likes this.
    03-03-14 10:54 AM
    Does it really matter? What if QNX is embedded in all these cars whether they use android, Windows, iOS, bb10, etc... that's what matters the most. to have a monopoly without anyone knowing.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    1) When you use your BB do you rave about the CPU that powers it? Or what the browser is built on? And the companies that designed them?

2) Say BB makes $1 a car for QNX and Apple makes $10 (hypothetical numbers only!) and you hear the following from occupants of a car:

"Hook up your Phone; screen's identical so don't worry about messing anything up. Let's get that awesome song running while I punch in our destination. Isn't it so cool?!"

"It's all based on QNX!"

"..."

Without a good front end, QNX is an excellent workhorse that will never be the showhorse. It is a fine division for BBRY but not one they can solely rely on, in the business they are currently in.
    03-03-14 10:55 AM
    Ironic thing is that QNX will probably perfectly with Apple Car Play but no integration at all with BlackBerry 10 phone beside the standard Bluetooth

Posted via CB10
    03-03-14 10:58 AM
    It's interesting to see, but you're not getting the whole picture here. The actual wording says that it will be "Available" on models in 2014. Didn't say 2014 models. This might not materialize for quite a while. Even then, it may only be offered on 1 or 2 particular models and particular trims of those models.

The "Future Models from Committed Partners" line,.. well, that just says that they agreed to let Apple use their logo. Much like BB did when they first announced BB10 and had all sorts of "committed" developers lined up.

I'm not trying to downplay this,.. BB/QNX need to have some big announcements real soon to slow this down to hope they'll get any piece of this market. Likely Android, BB and MS will announce similar systems that will be available as an add-on or alternative to this very same system that Apple is using.
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-03-14 11:02 AM

I am sure all devices will be basically useable, like now. Just that you don't get the goodies. At least that is how I am interpreting it.

Am a bit puzzled by the cable requirement. It's nice to be able to hook up via BT. I am wondering if latency is an issue, or just the sheer amount of data being pumped across.
    03-03-14 11:03 AM
    Ironic thing is that QNX will probably perfectly with Apple Car Play but no integration at all with BlackBerry 10 phone beside the standard Bluetooth

Posted via CB10
    That is very likely, right? If you buy one of these new cars and you have an iPhone, you are immediately familiar with the screen in the car and you can iMessage your wife on the way home, etc, etc.

It's unlikely that car manufacturers would want to invest in such a tight integration with less popular OSes.

03-03-14 11:04 AM
    Apple needs to keep it's hands off my Jaguar F-Type R. Looking to order one in the summer, and I don't want any s**t Apple stuff ruining it for me. Same goes for Land Rover and BMW. Keep your s**t iHands off of them.

NOTE: I'm pretty sure British Villains would be BlackBerry users, not iPhone users.

Jaguar's "British Villains Rendezvous"

Posted via BlackBerry Z10 Smartphone
    03-03-14 11:07 AM
    Apple needs to keep it's hands off my Jaguar F-Type R. Looking to order one in the summer, and I don't want any s**t Apple stuff ruining it for me. Same goes for Land Rover and BMW. Keep your s**t iHands off of them.
    I'm sure if you don't have an iPhone with these new systems, you would just get the normal experience. There would be no Apple software or UI running on your car unless and until you attached an iPhone.

TGR1 and kbz1960 like this.
    03-03-14 11:10 AM
199 1234 ...