04-05-14 08:45 PM
83 1234
tools
    I'd prefer for BlackBerry to focus on phones right now. No need for a tablet.

Blackberry Z10: STL100-3, OS 10.2.1.537
    04-01-14 03:20 PM
    I dont see a point. They cant even sell their phones. Who is going to buy their tablet??? As a day 1 64GB PlayBook owner, im certainly not going to run out and buy a tablet from them again. With my Z10, i barely have a reason to touch it. For me to touch a tablet from them, I going to have to see a future proofed device, and deep integration with my BB. Hopefully they'll eventually allow BBM to work on multiple devices or at least give me a fully featured bridge that works much smoother than it currently does....and last but not least, price it accordingly. BB is not a premium brand anymore. Cant charge apple prices
    Of course BlackBerry can't sell its phones because it royally bungled things up and it is still digging out from the pile of crap it was buried under. Your Playbook was made on a half baked experimental OS. Again, the OS is much more advanced now.
    You make it sound like Z10 is the best all touch phone BlackBerry has. Why don't you go and get a Z30 and use it for a while and then come back and tell me about your experience. I use a Z30 because it is much more improved phone. Guess what, I have an iPad but I use my Z30 over 90% for work now.
    With regards to pricing, I agree that BlackBerry needs better handle on that.
    04-01-14 03:27 PM
    Technically, what you are saying is that BlackBerry should just quit the mobile phone business based on your reasoning then.
    No, technically that's what you're saying. My flow deals with staying out the tablet business.
    Is the market share any larger because the legacy is outselling the "flagship"?
    I'll let you answer your own question 'cause it has nothing to do with the post quoted.
    Are you saying that if BlackBerry made a tablet that is on par or better than the competitors that you or the consumers will not buy it?
    No need for leading questions, what was posted contains the meaning. It's not that hard to grasp. There is no underlying hidden message.
    Again it is like a gruesome marathon race where you are not in the leading pack but you have to stay in race and maintain constant sight of the leaders otherwise it's race over.
    Quoting yourself? Doesn't really make it anymore meaningful.
    Do you honestly think that BlackBerry can survive in the mobile device, half heartedly?
    Best to stay out of personalizations, which is what "honestly think" entails.
    The post you referenced makes observations.
    04-01-14 03:38 PM
    Of course BlackBerry can't sell its phones because it royally bungled things up and it is still digging out from the pile of crap it was buried under. Your Playbook was made on a half baked experimental OS. Again, the OS is much more advanced now.
    You make it sound like Z10 is the best all touch phone BlackBerry has. Why don't you go and get a Z30 and use it for a while and then come back and tell me about your experience. I use a Z30 because it is much more improved phone. Guess what, I have an iPad but I use my Z30 over 90% for work now.
    With regards to pricing, I agree that BlackBerry needs better handle on that.
    Lol I would but no other carrier besides Verizon wanted it in the US....and being a college student, I don't have 500 to buy it direct from BB. I feel like that's kinda besides the point though...Z30 isn't world's better than the Z10 even though I would love to have the device. My point though was that even with how good the Z30 is, if they can barely sell them, what kind of sales do u think a tablet is going to get?

Posted via CB10
    04-01-14 03:44 PM
    I am considering moving from PB to iPad. I waited too long from BlackBerry to get a decent tablet.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-14 05:01 PM
    Agreed. BlackBerry should make Bridge for the iPad and Android tablets to compliment the phone. They shouldn't make their own tablet because no one will buy it and everyone will say remember the PlayBook.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-14 08:24 PM
    In response to your #1, All mid to large size companies engage services of very good Accounting firms to ensure that tax loopholes and tax credits are exploited to the fullest... blah blah snip..."
    There would be no electric cars without tax credits that cause someone to make something that is not economically viable... namely, electric cars. Without a huge .gov feel good "Oh golly SUV's are killing the polar bears" push, there would be no Teslas. None. So it is not worth examining them as a business, they are a welfare recipient contributing absolutely nothing. They harvest tax credits. They have no other business.

By the way, they sell the credits

As to the coal, merely pointing out that when you see someone smugly driving a Tesla, realize your car is powered by the cleanest internal combustion engine the world has ever known, and theirs is probably powered by coal. Oops.

In response to your #2, The last time I checked, Tesla makes auto mobile and rocket ships; with respect auto mobile it is same market as other auto makers, so what's your point.
    You are confused. Tesla makes ego platforms that would not exist without enormous tax credits. They have nearly no competition, unless you think someone wants to drive a Volt or a Leaf.

Tesla does nothing well other than work the system, self-promote, and appeal to those who think we're going to run out of shoreline or organic grapes or free range alpacas or whatever other hysteria is being pushed at the moment. They harvest tax credits and sell status symbols to people who don't know where electricity comes from.

Not really a model Blackberry can imitate, do you think?
    04-03-14 04:17 PM
    The reason BB is failing in the US is actually pretty simple ------

They forgot who buys phones and to MARKET . The US consumer or prosumer can easily be lead down the rosey path with proper MARKETING. I know of a large law firm who just moved from BB to Iphones against the wishes of the partners because the "younger" employees and the young IT guy wanted a "cool" phone. It is all about MARKETING. Apple could sell ice cubes to Eskimos, BB can not sell the best phone to a prosumer if they gave it to them.
    04-03-14 05:28 PM
    I think the "dummy screen" would be the way to go. Then I'm not keeping track of different content on different devices. I find it annoying.

And since going bb10 my desire to use a tablet that is a separate deviced is low. Except for the bigger screen

With a dummy screen you get the big tablet screen experience with out the hassle of two separate devices. And it should have enough battery power to have the screen on for 8 hours

Swordsmanship Channel C000C9AF6
    04-03-14 05:39 PM
    Just let it die quietly. The last thing BB needs is to try and get into the tablet game again. Get the phone business back to profitability and worry about tablets after that. If BB announced a new tablet today it would flop because of the negative brand image no matter what OS it ran.
    Except the boat for tablets for Enterprise is getting ready to sail. It would be a huge mistake if Blackberry doesn't get on that boat. It would be another reason not to keep Blackberry for enterprise.
    04-04-14 05:47 PM
    Except the boat for tablets for Enterprise is getting ready to sail. It would be a huge mistake if Blackberry doesn't get on that boat. It would be another reason not to keep Blackberry for enterprise.
    Exactly!! Or BlackBerry should come out quickly with a revolutionary device alternative. For example, like what "61728297886numbers" above suggested a "dummy screen"..."With a dummy screen you get the big tablet screen experience with out the hassle of two separate devices. And it should have enough battery power to have the screen on for 8 hours"
    04-04-14 07:14 PM
    I believe ecosystem pieces definitely help develop mindshare amongst consumers. However, I don't know that BBRY can afford to delve into those categories at this time.
    04-04-14 07:24 PM
    1. BB isn't in any position to get into ANY new lines of hardware.

2. A "dummy screen" would just be a bigger display for the phone, and you'd be looking at phone apps scaled up. They wouldn't be running tablet-formatted apps, which defeats a HUGE reason to have a tablet in the first place.

3. I doubt they'd sell 50,000 "dummy screens", which would mean they would lose money. If they priced it high enough to make any profit, no one would buy them over, say, a Nexus 7 at the same price (due to economies of scale), and if they priced them lower, at those volumes, they'd take a loss.
    04-04-14 09:38 PM
    1. BB isn't in any position to get into ANY new lines of hardware.

2. A "dummy screen" would just be a bigger display for the phone, and you'd be looking at phone apps scaled up. They wouldn't be running tablet-formatted apps, which defeats a HUGE reason to have a tablet in the first place.

3. I doubt they'd sell 50,000 "dummy screens", which would mean they would lose money. If they priced it high enough to make any profit, no one would buy them over, say, a Nexus 7 at the same price (due to economies of scale), and if they priced them lower, at those volumes, they'd take a loss.
    Just curious, where did you get the 50,000 figure from? Is it just a hypothetical figure? And you seriously don't think BlackBerry can sell that amount?
    04-04-14 09:47 PM
    Just curious, where did you get the 50,000 figure from? Is it just a hypothetical figure? And you seriously don't think BlackBerry can sell that amount?
    Not to speak for troy, but how much would the screens cost?

I think it would be tough to sell that many.
    TgeekB likes this.
    04-04-14 10:12 PM
    The enterprise is not looking for accessories for the smartphone. They are looking for an alternative to the laptop. If BlackBerry is serious on focusing on enterprises, they need to provide solutions.
    04-04-14 11:08 PM
    Not to speak for troy, but how much would the screens cost?
    Well, the updated iPad with Retina Display is now priced at $400 - a full size fully-functional tablet so you would be hard-pressed to charge more than $250 for a dummy screen that needed a Blackberry to do anything. Not much profit to be had, there.

Can you honestly say that you would recommend a dummy screen to most Blackberry users over a real tablet? There would have to be a more compelling use case other than the desire to use the BB10 on a large screen.
    04-05-14 12:26 AM
    The enterprise is not looking for accessories for the smartphone. They are looking for an alternative to the laptop. If BlackBerry is serious on focusing on enterprises, they need to provide solutions.
    I get your point, coming from the last interview about a playbook follow up, the company said that they need more time. I'm hoping they might have plans to have a tablet device but not until they are able to execute plans to focus on the enterprise market.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-14 01:04 AM
    There is a truly complementary tablet for BB10 already in the Prosumer market. It's called the Surface Pro 2.
    How's that. Care to elaborate what makes Surface Pro 2 so different.
    04-05-14 06:53 AM
    Also, why do you consider it complementary to Blackberry?
    04-05-14 06:56 AM
    Please don't tell me that BlackBerry is the only platform that has Prosumers ( or whatever you wish to call it). Last time I checked, there tons of medical, legal, business etc professionals using tablets everyday to get things done and often it's with tablets from the same platform. It's now official (I presume) that BlackBerry will stop supporting the Playbook and to the best of my knowledge, it seems BlackBerry doesn't have any replacement device in the pipeline.

Most of us BB users have tablets from Apple or Android and maybe coupled with a Playbook. I do and I am okay with this arrangement, thus far. But what I would like ideally is to have my complete set of BlackBerry devices (Phone-Phablet-Tablet).

Why not? And wouldn't you?
    Of course people would, OP. But it's about what's smart for the company and not about pleasing a VERY small group of people. At the end of the day, it's about whether it will sell or whether it will be a big flop. Knowing BlackBerry's perception and place in the market, it will most likely be the latter. It's not a smart move from a business perspective the way I see it.
    04-05-14 07:03 AM
    Of course people would, OP. But it's about what's smart for the company and not about pleasing a VERY small group of people. At the end of the day, it's about whether it will sell or whether it will be a big flop. Knowing BlackBerry's perception and place in the market, it will most likely be the latter. It's not a smart move from a business perspective the way I see it.
    You could be right or could be wrong too. But in life, you never know until you've tried.
    04-05-14 07:09 AM
    How's that. Care to elaborate what makes Surface Pro 2 so different.
    The Surface Pro 2 is a fantastic tablet, or should I say Ultrabook, because that's really what it is...just in a tablet body. You have the power of a laptop all with the convenience of a tablet. If you want to talk about how it's different from say the iPad Air, PlayBook, Nexus, Note, etc is because it's a real computer. It's not really a fair comparison. A true comparison would be with the Surface 2. But for a true "prosumer" (God I hate that word), the Surface Pro 2 would be the ideal choice BECAUSE it's a computer and not a tablet.
    04-05-14 07:13 AM
    You could be right or could be wrong too. But in life, you never know until you've tried.
    While that's true, BlackBerry can't afford to just "give it a try".
    04-05-14 07:14 AM
    The Surface Pro 2 is a fantastic tablet, or should I say Ultrabook, because that's really what it is...just in a tablet body. You have the power of a laptop all with the convenience of a tablet. If you want to talk about how it's different from say the iPad Air, PlayBook, Nexus, Note, etc is because it's a real computer. It's not really a fair comparison. A true comparison would be with the Surface 2. But for a true "prosumer" (God I hate that word), the Surface Pro 2 would be the ideal choice BECAUSE it's a computer and not a tablet.
    I agree with this. Except that I'd probably recommend a different brand simply based on the Surface Pro 2's price point. Asus and Dell have some really nice devices at better prices. Especially Asus, their prices give the most bang for the buck ($399 for the Asus T100 is a really great deal for what you get).
    04-05-14 07:41 AM
83 1234