04-05-14 08:45 PM
83 123 ...
tools
    Please don't tell me that BlackBerry is the only platform that has Prosumers ( or whatever you wish to call it). Last time I checked, there tons of medical, legal, business etc professionals using tablets everyday to get things done and often it's with tablets from the same platform. It's now official (I presume) that BlackBerry will stop supporting the Playbook and to the best of my knowledge, it seems BlackBerry doesn't have any replacement device in the pipeline.

Most of us BB users have tablets from Apple or Android and maybe coupled with a Playbook. I do and I am okay with this arrangement, thus far. But what I would like ideally is to have my complete set of BlackBerry devices (Phone-Phablet-Tablet).

Why not? And wouldn't you?
    Shadowyugi and johnm137 like this.
    04-01-14 07:38 AM
    Blackberry does have a complimenting tablet, its the Playbook and according to goldilocks and her brigade on Crackberry:

* A "lite" version of BB10 WILL come to the Playbook because the "dev alpha" supported BB10 on 1GB RAM.
    * Chen isn't Thorsten
    * He is listening to his customers
    * QNX is the most efficient blah blah and powers rockets and wishy washys
    * List goes on, crazy how naive some BB users are lol

The announcement of no OS today is a lie because its April 1st therefore it must be an April fools joke.
    04-01-14 07:52 AM
    Would be nice but wishes don't make it come true. ipads or other tablets are simply the way to go.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-01-14 07:52 AM
    Blackberry does have a complimenting tablet, its the Playbook and according to goldilocks and her brigade on Crackberry:

* A "lite" version of BB10 WILL come to the Playbook because the "dev alpha" supported BB10 on 1GB RAM.
    * Chen isn't Thorsten

The announcement of no OS today is a lie because its April 1st therefore it must be an April fools joke.
    Much BlackBerry. Such professional.

Posted via CB10
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    04-01-14 07:57 AM

* Chen isn't Thorsten

April Fools aside, I agree, it seems that a lot of BB users like "driving on fumes".
    04-01-14 08:01 AM
    That makes sense though. It would be a shame to see the bridge technology which I think is unique to BlackBerry go to waste just because the playbook isn't supported or does not have a follow up device.

Let's just wait and see.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-14 08:06 AM
    Just let it die quietly. The last thing BB needs is to try and get into the tablet game again. Get the phone business back to profitability and worry about tablets after that. If BB announced a new tablet today it would flop because of the negative brand image no matter what OS it ran.
    04-01-14 08:13 AM
    Please don't tell me that BlackBerry is the only platform that has Prosumers ( or whatever you wish to call it). Last time I checked, there tons of medical, legal, business etc professionals using tablets everyday to get things done and often it's with tablets from the same platform. It's now official (I presume) that BlackBerry will stop supporting the Playbook and to the best of my knowledge, it seems BlackBerry doesn't have any replacement device in the pipeline.

Most of us BB users have tablets from Apple or Android and maybe coupled with a Playbook. I do and I am okay with this arrangement, thus far. But what I would like ideally is to have my complete set of BlackBerry devices (Phone-Phablet-Tablet).

Why not? And wouldn't you?
    It's not as though BBRY hasn't already tried the tablet angle. Another attempt while the phone business is in its current state would be harshly criticized by investors. There may yet be another BBRY tablet, but now is probably not the right time.
    04-01-14 08:16 AM
    Just let it die quietly. The last thing BB needs is to try and get into the tablet game again. Get the phone business back to profitability and worry about tablets after that. If BB announced a new tablet today it would flop because of the negative brand image no matter what OS it ran.
    So True. It could have a fusion reactor with a 100yr battery life and still flop. Plus phones compliment tablets now its called hotspot.
    matt0135 and Will999 like this.
    04-01-14 08:18 AM
    So True. It could have a fusion reactor with a 100yr battery life and still flop. Plus phones compliment tablets now its called hotspot.
    lol... no.
    04-01-14 08:26 AM
    I'm sorry but I don't buy that rationale. I guess TESLA should have throw in its towel when the first car productions failed woefully? Guess what, Tesla didn't. Tesla went back to the drawing board and ironed out the problems; now there is 13000 reservations worldwide.
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well. I can understand the app limitations but common!! enough of the excuses on not making tablets. Heck, they should even licence Foxconn to make them.
    amjass12 likes this.
    04-01-14 08:31 AM
    I'm sorry but I don't buy that rationale. I guess TESLA should have throw in its towel when the first car productions failed woefully? Guess what, Tesla didn't. Tesla went back to the drawing board and ironed out the problems; now there is 13000 reservations worldwide.
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well. I can understand the app limitations but common!! enough of the excuses on not making tablets. Heck, they should even licence Foxconn to make them.
    13000 reservations? I'd hardly call that a success story except for a luxury car maker that can survive off those types of sales. They sell higher end cars and maybe at their prices that can generate them a profit, but comparing the two is hardly an apples to apples comparison. BB isn't the Tesla of the phone industry. They aren't aiming for the luxury market and shouldn't right now because they won't make it if they did. If BB wants to start making a low end tablet then that could possibly work, but it's crazy to think that anyone but die hards would gamble on another tablet by Blackberry after being burned so badly by the first one.
    tjseaman likes this.
    04-01-14 08:45 AM
    Do you believe at this time that BBRY can produce a tablet today that will be competitive with Apple and Microsoft tablets for enterprise? OS, hardware, software? I don't think so and they don't have the resources to try such a risky experiment. This is a classic Catch-22 because they aren't ready now but in a couple years the finish line will be even further ahead.

In retrospect, given the push of tablets into the corporate world, I think the Playbook fiasco was in many ways even worse that the handset field. RIM's timing was good and it had hooks in enterprise. But poor execution and the absolutely disastrous decision to force dependence on BB phones absolutely killed their advantages. RIM management simply didn't have the wide angle vision the computer tech companies did.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    04-01-14 09:23 AM
    13000 reservations? I'd hardly call that a success story except for a luxury car maker that can survive off those types of sales. They sell higher end cars and maybe at their prices that can generate them a profit, but comparing the two is hardly an apples to apples comparison. BB isn't the Tesla of the phone industry. They aren't aiming for the luxury market and shouldn't right now because they won't make it if they did. If BB wants to start making a low end tablet then that could possibly work, but it's crazy to think that anyone but die hards would gamble on another tablet by Blackberry after being burned so badly by the first one.
    Gamble? What gamble? You didn't expect that consumers would have fallen heads over heels on a "half-baked" product, did you? It is same thing that happened to the Z10 that came out sort of "half-baked". Consumers are not idiots. When Z30 came out with a better OS, people began to actual how good the phone is. Check "Dad Does" recent YouTube video.
    BlackBerry has come quite a ways with the BB10 platform since the Playbook was first launched on an "experimental platform", don't you agree? Therefore a Playbook, or whatever the tablet is called, sporting the current OS in the Z3 will be a totally different experience.
    Finally, I only used Tesla as an analogy and success is a relative term, meaning that in the eyes of Tesla investors Tesla is a success story; this is also reflected in its stock price gain.
    By the way, ain't Prosumers "high end" consumers? So what do you mean by "They aren't aiming for the luxury market and shouldn't right now because they won't make it if they did."? What market do you think BlackBerry is going after?
    04-01-14 09:40 AM
    Gamble? What gamble? You didn't expect that consumers would have fallen heads over heels on a "half-baked" product, did you? It is same thing that happened to the Z10 that came out sort of "half-baked". Consumers are not idiots. When Z30 came out with a better OS, people began to actual how good the phone is. Check "Dad Does" recent YouTube video.
    BlackBerry has come quite a ways with the BB10 platform since the Playbook was first launched on an "experimental platform", don't you agree? Therefore a Playbook, or whatever the tablet is called, sporting the current OS in the Z3 will be a totally different experience.
    Finally, I only used Tesla as an analogy and success is a relative term, meaning that in the eyes of Tesla investors Tesla is a success story; this is also reflected in its stock price gain.
    By the way, ain't Prosumers "high end" consumers? So what do you mean by "They aren't aiming for the luxury market and shouldn't right now because they won't make it if they did."? What market do you think BlackBerry is going after?
    That's exactly the point. They released a half baked product and charged a premium price for it. People who bought it were bamboozled and then swindled again with the promise of the update to BB10. So who would buy it? Like it or not they are always going to be judged by past performance and their record in the tablet market is abysmal.

The Z30 is great but it doesn't matter how good the phone is, people aren't buying it over other equally impressive phones out today. Not to mention the Galaxy S5 and iPhone 6 launch are around the corner with BB not having any type of answer for that crowd at the moment.

What is a prosumer? It's a word that Thor decided he was going to use to describe the BB customer. It doesn't mean anything. And no, BB isn't going after the high end market. They are going after the low end (Z3 and Bold) and enterprise customer with the Q20. There is the promise of some high end models later in the year but that's all going to depend on how well their current strategy works.

A better question is do you think that BB is going after the high end market? I'd love to know why you think that if you honestly do. Right now BB has one phone that I would consider higher end based on build quality (Z30) but from a specs standpoint it's last years goods. I don't buy into the specs game but a lot of people do and the Z30 wouldn't be considered a high end phone in today's market.
    Last edited by donnation; 04-01-14 at 11:29 AM.
    Drew808 and amjass12 like this.
    04-01-14 09:49 AM
    I want my phone and tablet to be of the same OS. Funny thing, I just like it that way. We will never get OS10 - read the headlines about End of Life notification.

I do want the "hottest specied phone". Does the OS require it - no, but I still want it. I do not want to get out 2yrs and be running out of processing power.

I drive 2 BMW's. Can I take and run them at their full potential? No - not unless I go to the track or risk a ticket. But I still enjoy driving them knowing what they can do, not what I require out to them.

The same goes for a phone or for that matter - anything I own.

By the way - a side note - you might think that I must be up to my eye balls in debt. Nope - I live mostly debt free, by saving well. I work very hard for my money and demand quality in my equipment - the reason for originally going to BB.

Now I am beginning to consider jumping ship to Sailfish or Utunbu. Will see this fall.
    04-01-14 11:26 AM
    I don't really like this idea of being "tied" to an ecosystem, where there is brand loyalty to a fault. I just don't know what a BB10 tablet could offer me that an iPad currently cannot. I just like using the best of every category, and IMO today for me...

the best tablet is the iPad Air
    the best laptop/desktop is any high-specced laptop running Win 8.1 PC (i.e. Spectre 13t/Aspire s7/Lenovo thinkpad/vaio duo etc.)
    the best mobile phone is a BlackBerry Z30

I don't NEED to have all three things run the same ecosystem when there is so much cloud support nowadays. Files and links are shared seamlessly through Evernote, Dropbox, Pocket and OneDrive. If BB10 had OneNote and better Google Drive support I would have all the cloud services I need. I've owned and gone through four different tablets (two Androids, Playbook and an iPad2) and the only one that remains with me today is the iPad. BB10 is just not ideal for a tablet as it doesn't play to its core strengths as a phone - an ultimate messaging and typing experience. In the tablet sphere, you need to be king of media consumption, seamless browsing and a host of key apps and features - typing and message handling, IMO, is nowhere near as important on one as it is on a smartphone. Bridge today is largely irrelevant with higher % of people with huge data plans, mobile hotspots and cloud sharing. BB10 may be superior to iOS as a phone operating system due to messaging and communications, but it doesn't touch it as an overall mobile computing OS especially in the tablet sphere. iOS is also a lot more robust than any Android tablet I've touched, but that's for another rant.

I personally think the tablet market is lost and it would be a massive financial flop for Blackberry to invest in it. No one is going to buy another Playbook unless they have a BB10 phone, of which only 1.1 million were sold last quarter, or unless they are priced at under $200 at which BB would lose money for every unit they sell like the PB. There's just no point... they should invest in making BB10 phones the very best mobile communications system out there, especially for the business user. At MOST, I could envision them making "dumb screens" that are wirelessly powered by BB10 phones that are dirt cheap to make and sell.
    04-01-14 11:48 AM
    I want my phone and tablet to be of the same OS. Funny thing, I just like it that way. We will never get OS10 - read the headlines about End of Life notification.

I do want the "hottest specied phone". Does the OS require it - no, but I still want it. I do not want to get out 2yrs and be running out of processing power.

I drive 2 BMW's. Can I take and run them at their full potential? No - not unless I go to the track or risk a ticket. But I still enjoy driving them knowing what they can do, not what I require out to them.

The same goes for a phone or for that matter - anything I own.

By the way - a side note - you might think that I must be up to my eye balls in debt. Nope - I live mostly debt free, by saving well. I work very hard for my money and demand quality in my equipment - the reason for originally going to BB.

Now I am beginning to consider jumping ship to Sailfish or Utunbu. Will see this fall.
    Buddy you explained what I've been thinking for a whole. I'm considering a combo of Galaxy S5 and a Tab Pro 8.

Stay Classy CrackBerry Nation!
    04-01-14 11:48 AM
    1. Tesla's run on two things... coal, and tax credits. Without the tax credits, they do not exist. Without coal, they do not run.

2. Tesla competes in a market with no dominant player, and just about no players at all. Blackberry must compete in a market with established, cash rich, successful competitors that dwarf it.
    richardat, TGR1 and kbz1960 like this.
    04-01-14 01:38 PM
    There is a lot more to being in the tablet business than simply telling Foxconn to make one for you. Tablets need even more of a content ecosystem than smartphones do. There's no point in putting out a tablet just to be a Blackberry. That would only be useful for Crackberry fans.
    TGR1 likes this.
    04-01-14 01:55 PM
    Whether they should or shouldn't business-wise, I just wish they would. I'd love to have an updated PlayBook. I still don't want any other tab. But business-wise, there are just too many other obstacles to overcome first.
    04-01-14 02:10 PM
    Makes no sense.
    They can't sell enough of their primary device.
    This device is technically superior to their older device line.
    Yet there is no demand for it.
    After a year on the market legacy outsells flagship which could be a first in mobile smartphones.

Now the proposal is to go back to the drawing board and make a better tablet.

Struggling mobile phone business and compound it with another dubious adventure in tablets to satisfy a handful of people.

Rule of thumb. The same people who brought a z10 q10 or z 30 are the same people who may buy a Blackberry tablet.

Earnings show there ain't enough.
    04-01-14 02:32 PM
    I dont see a point. They cant even sell their phones. Who is going to buy their tablet??? As a day 1 64GB PlayBook owner, im certainly not going to run out and buy a tablet from them again. With my Z10, i barely have a reason to touch it. For me to touch a tablet from them, I going to have to see a future proofed device, and deep integration with my BB. Hopefully they'll eventually allow BBM to work on multiple devices or at least give me a fully featured bridge that works much smoother than it currently does....and last but not least, price it accordingly. BB is not a premium brand anymore. Cant charge apple prices
    04-01-14 02:44 PM
    1. Tesla's run on two things... coal, and tax credits. Without the tax credits, they do not exist. Without coal, they do not run.

2. Tesla competes in a market with no dominant player, and just about no players at all. Blackberry must compete in a market with established, cash rich, successful competitors that dwarf it.
    In response to your #1, All mid to large size companies engage services of very good Accounting firms to ensure that tax loopholes and tax credits are exploited to the fullest, so if Tesla purportedly survives off tax credit, it's rather the norm than the unusual. What did you think the Detroit auto giants did when they got the bail out? What did you think that BlackBerry did when it had that massive inventory write-down? Don't you think BlackBerry got a massive tax refund? You do realise that tax credits results in two things - tax refund or minimization of tax payment, right? With regards to coal, is Tesla getting it for free?

In response to your #2, The last time I checked, Tesla makes auto mobile and rocket ships; with respect auto mobile it is same market as other auto makers, so what's your point. Making electric cars as opposed to fossil fuel operated autos is no different from BlackBerry's OS platform being different from Android or Apple platforms. Therefore Tesla is even more handicapped in the auto mobile industry than BlackBerry is in the mobile phone industry. Chrysler, Ford, GM etc dwarf Tesla.

Simply, it's either BlackBerry remains in this "gruesome marathon" called the mobile phone industry or graciously bow out. The competitors are not standing still, so BlackBerry must double up its pace otherwise it would be rendered useless or hapless in this field, the longer they take to get back in the game.
    04-01-14 02:48 PM
    Makes no sense.
    They can't sell enough of their primary device.
    This device is technically superior to their older device line.
    Yet there is no demand for it.
    After a year on the market legacy outsells flagship which could be a first in mobile smartphones.

Now the proposal is to go back to the drawing board and make a better tablet.

Struggling mobile phone business and compound it with another dubious adventure in tablets to satisfy a handful of people.

Rule of thumb. The same people who brought a z10 q10 or z 30 are the same people who may buy a Blackberry tablet.

Earnings show there ain't enough.
    Technically, what you are saying is that BlackBerry should just quit the mobile phone business based on your reasoning then. Is the market share any larger because the legacy is outselling the "flagship"?
    Are you saying that if BlackBerry made a tablet that is on par or better than the competitors that you or the consumers will not buy it? Again it is like a gruesome marathon race where you are not in the leading pack but you have to stay in race and maintain constant sight of the leaders otherwise it's race over. Do you honestly think that BlackBerry can survive in the mobile device, half heartedly?

It's either BlackBerry is IN or OUT.
    04-01-14 03:07 PM
83 123 ...