I came across this today. There is a PDF link on the page for the full report. It's an interesting look at where developer interests lie in the way of mobile platforms. Based on the results of the survey, the trend is not good for RIM. I wonder if RIM and Alec Saunder's efforts to welcome developers will improve the numbers for next quarter's survey. I find it worrisome that the gap between the dead Touchpad and the PlayBook is as small as it is. Maybe it has to do with RIM's Android player strategy. What do you folks think of the results?

Appcelerator/IDC - Q4 Mobile Developer Report
    11-14-11 10:09 AM
    I never thought Microsoft was out of the running. They have been providing many incentives to developers since early this year. It looks like the partnership with Microsoft might do for Nokia what Google did for Motorola.

I also took notice of this part of the article:
    This quarter saw a sharp fall-off in developers reporting that they are ‘very interested’ in RIM offerings with BlackBerry OS phones dropping 7 points to 21% and PlayBook QNX-based tablets dropping 6 points to 13%. Put another way, there’s now more interest in Nokia’s new Lumia Windows Phone lineup than RIM’s smartphones.
    Link to the html article is here
    Last edited by lak611; 11-14-11 at 10:35 AM. Reason: added link
    11-14-11 10:33 AM
    No surprise. Oh well.
    11-14-11 10:40 AM
    In the PDF, the #1 reason for the interest in Windows Phone was:
    in Europe, Nokia/Microsoft partnership; in Asia, Nokia/Microsoft partnership; and in North America, upcoming Windows 8 integration/tablet potential.

As someone who has tried Windows 8 Developer release, it makes sense to me. The Metro UI is much more suited for tablets than desktops at this point in its development.
    Last edited by lak611; 11-14-11 at 10:48 AM.
    11-14-11 10:45 AM
    It's clear RIM's strategy of BBX on all platforms is the right one, even though everyone else got this a few years ago. Seeing the handset as nothing more than a small tablet is working well for IOS and Android and we should see more developer traction as BBX becomes a more integral part of RIM's product line-up.

However, the Windows traction is troubling as RIM may end up in fourth place, making it largely irrelevant to the market. Hopefully RIM is aware of this horse race with MS and brings out aggressive products to blunt this further marketshare decline.
    11-14-11 12:00 PM
    I see this being a money issue more than anything else. RIM does not have deep enough pockets to aggressively compete with Microsoft.
    11-14-11 12:20 PM
    I see this being a money issue more than anything else. RIM does not have deep enough pockets to aggressively compete with Microsoft.
    Agreed... Eventually Microsoft will have the right devices, the right Mobile OS, and will have developers and content providers on board to make their Mobile OS a success.

RIM is the kid that brought the ball to the game, but no one wants on their team.
    11-14-11 01:17 PM
    Surveys can be gamed, results often show it's gamed when someone teams on it. Trends always change, which I never follow. Thanks for sharing. PS. I tried the latest almost octagon shaped nokia touch smartphone, it was confusing as **** to navigate.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-14-11 03:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD