We're seeing a ton of new apps showing up for the PlayBook and BB10 -- yeah, already New developers are starting to get on board with the platform.

App World has grown from 50,000 apps on January 1st to 100,000 apps on May 1st -- that's a 100% growth in 4 months! YAAYYY!

We know on February 7th, they surpassed 2 billion downloads and 600,000 downloads per day. However, those numbers were prior to RIM's release of PlayBook OS 2.0. Success at CES resulted in a large number of new developers signing up.

So, I wish someone would write an article of the growth of App World:

- App growth on BB7 & BB10/PlayBook
    - Current stats on App World such as downloads per month, world wide availability, etc.
    - Current list of newly signed up developers: big names

The BlackBerry ecosystem is critical to the success of BlackBerry moving forward. Developers and users need to know it is a healthy platform. None of the top 5 platforms is seeing such massive growth; albeit, BlackBerry App World is smaller than Android and Apple, but it is in a very solid 3rd place. This all bodes well for the upcoming BB10 platform.
    05-10-12 08:36 AM
    while app world has 100,000 apps, not many of them are going to be compatible with BB10. so it's really an inflated number.
    05-10-12 09:07 AM
    I believe i read recently its about 1/4 of the total apps are PB apps. so somewhere around 25000 (increasing percentage daily). This would be a more accurate representation. Only RIM knows the numbers for sure though.
    05-10-12 09:08 AM
    IT'S NOT ABOUT THE APPS. It never has been. Deliver the internet dammit. Apple and Blackberry both know HTML5 is the REAL future of apps. Companies are getting tired of having to pay for an "app" just because American consumerism demands it. The market nor money ever lie. Blackberry needs to create a new demand not for apps but for a better ecosystem. Companies would rather spend money on a great website than an app. Becasue an app is merely a software developers take on what the "web experience" should be.

As the OP says, this all does bode well for BB10 but Saunders and myself are more worries about QUALITY rather than quantity. The android player was executed to raise these numbers (which is why there is so much growth) The reallllllll power RIM holds and they know this--is that it doesn't take millions to buy out devs and convince them onto the platform. It takes a good framework so the devs can realllllly hook into the system. Cascades along with the other 5 standards for development will unleash the true power and this is it. Devs will see another cash cow and all their work will just be carried over to the new platform. Developers will LOVE being able to get their apps into peoples hands all over the world!

ALLLLLLL the developers who have ALREADY made apps must see value in the ecosystem (which is why RIM Is putting it's money on the UI and BB10 software. Becasue a developer playground is better than a developer pay day. *And RIM intends to supply both* Look at their developer incentives! BB10 (which i pray is a codename...) really will be the moving point for RIM. It's rested on its loins and now the baking is done and the astonishing beast is ready to maul.

Apps will get it into the consumer hands, but let's be real BB10 will not win because of apps--it will win because it has to. The paradigm is shifting and everyone come 2013 is going to be throwing themselves back into the rat race of this mobile scape. Blackberry has positioned themselves not only with valuable partners as aforementioned but waiting until the other players in the market have stopped delivering. BB10 will stike and destroy no doubt. I can't wait for January and everyone is singing a different tune, and bashing a different fruit.

Differentiation is KEY in this market, and Blackberry has always played that differential !

People don't SEE it but 200$ 8gb for an iTouch or 200$ for 16gb Playbook
    *WHICH WILL BE ROCKING BB10 in 2013 *if not sooner* You get literally more for your money with Blackberry but because they don't have the ecosystem they can't make conversions into sales. Besides we all know QNX is harddddddddly JUST meant for the Playbook. Expect QNX netbooks, laptops, and other devices too. Just give it time. RIM is so much bigger than people care to see, and this dinosaur will make fossils of the competition .

Blackberry is coordinating a WORLD WIDE unveiling of BB10
    You can't expect everything in 6 months people (and this is in NO way directed at the OP) I loved the post and it got me thinking... as you can see
    husainpatan likes this.
    05-10-12 09:09 AM
    A. Saunders just stated the facts. 99500 total apps, 24500 pb apps. At the start of BB10jam. More buy now.
    05-10-12 09:12 AM
    IT'S NOT ABOUT THE APPS. It never has been. Deliver the internet dammit. Apple and Blackberry both know HTML5 is the REAL future of apps. Companies are getting tired of having to pay for an "app" just because American consumerism demands it. The market nor money ever lie. Blackberry needs to create a new demand not for apps but for a better ecosystem. Companies would rather spend money on a great website than an app. Becasue an app is merely a software developers take on what the "web experience" should be.

As the OP says, this all does bode well for BB10 but Saunders and myself are more worries about QUALITY rather than quantity. The android player was executed to raise these numbers (which is why there is so much growth) The reallllllll power RIM holds and they know this--is that it doesn't take millions to buy out devs and convince them onto the platform. It takes a good framework so the devs can realllllly hook into the system. Cascades along with the other 5 standards for development will unleash the true power and this is it. Devs will see another cash cow and all their work will just be carried over to the new platform. Developers will LOVE being able to get their apps into peoples hands all over the world!

ALLLLLLL the developers who have ALREADY made apps must see value in the ecosystem (which is why RIM Is putting it's money on the UI and BB10 software. Becasue a developer playground is better than a developer pay day. *And RIM intends to supply both* Look at their developer incentives! BB10 (which i pray is a codename...) really will be the moving point for RIM. It's rested on its loins and now the baking is done and the astonishing beast is ready to maul.

Apps will get it into the consumer hands, but let's be real BB10 will not win because of apps--it will win because it has to. The paradigm is shifting and everyone come 2013 is going to be throwing themselves back into the rat race of this mobile scape. Blackberry has positioned themselves not only with valuable partners as aforementioned but waiting until the other players in the market have stopped delivering. BB10 will stike and destroy no doubt. I can't wait for January and everyone is singing a different tune, and bashing a different fruit.

Differentiation is KEY in this market, and Blackberry has always played that differential !

People don't SEE it but 200$ 8gb for an iTouch or 200$ for 16gb Playbook
    *WHICH WILL BE ROCKING BB10 in 2013 *if not sooner* You get literally more for your money with Blackberry but because they don't have the ecosystem they can't make conversions into sales. Besides we all know QNX is harddddddddly JUST meant for the Playbook. Expect QNX netbooks, laptops, and other devices too. Just give it time. RIM is so much bigger than people care to see, and this dinosaur will make fossils of the competition .

Blackberry is coordinating a WORLD WIDE unveiling of BB10
    You can't expect everything in 6 months people (and this is in NO way directed at the OP) I loved the post and it got me thinking... as you can see
    Thanx buddy, u've just put optimism to shame...
    05-10-12 09:27 AM
    And RIM will put the rest to shame
    husainpatan likes this.
    05-10-12 09:45 AM
    I believe i read recently its about 1/4 of the total apps are PB apps. so somewhere around 25000 (increasing percentage daily). This would be a more accurate representation. Only RIM knows the numbers for sure though.
    That is very true and the numbers are inflated...but if 3/4 of the apps are for BBOS and not compatible with BB10 thats a lot but not terrible...It just forces developers who love working and developing for blackberry phones to give major UI updates and major feature upgrades to their apps...So apps like TD Bank for my 9900 is just a web launcher, now for BB10 they will obviously want to release an app for the new and future OS of BlackBerry so they can release a fully native app.

This will happen for many BBOS apps, as Cascades and BB10 is easier to develop for, and you have the added functionality of having it on two platforms (Phone and Tablet)

I would expect to see all the most popular BBOS apps on BB10 at launch or very near launch!
    05-10-12 11:40 AM
    More petitions to support!!! If you see fit. . .
    Netflix: Offer Support for RIM Blackberry Devices
    http://www.change.org/petitions/netf...medium=twitter
    Hulu: Allow a Hulu Plus app for BlackBerry Playbook and BB10
    http://www.change.org/petitions/hulu...medium=twitter
    and of course. . .
    Pandora�: Bring App Support to the Blackberry 10 Platform:
    http://www.change.org/petitions/pand...medium=twitter
    12-07-12 04:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD