One thing I especially appreciate about BlackBerry10 Apps is the Application Permission System. Allowing the user to determine the amount of access a particular App has to your device, was a major consideration in my device purchase. But on many the Amazon and Google Android Apps I don't see this functionality.
    Now with BlackBerry Android Beta Zone and the Priv, Rome and Hamburg devices, is this or will this be available for BlackBerry Android Apps?

Posted via CB10
    05-16-16 08:51 PM
    Now with BlackBerry Android Beta Zone and the Priv, Rome and Hamburg devices, is this or will this be available for BlackBerry Android Apps?
    Posted via CB10
    Android Marshmallow (which runs / will run on all BlackBerry Android phones) has granular permissions much like BB10.
    Last edited by conite; 05-16-16 at 09:10 PM.
    05-16-16 08:55 PM
    If you mean granular Android app permissions on BB10, then most likely not.
    05-16-16 08:56 PM
    Get App Ops (Android). It works fine to a certain extent.

Or in Blackberry Google ID, top left -> App Permissions.

Not everything is on, but you could at least turn off a lot.

Just make sure you keep the right ones on, if not, none of your apps work.

BlackBerry Passport via CB10
    05-16-16 11:22 PM
    One thing I especially appreciate about BlackBerry10 Apps is the Application Permission System. Allowing the user to determine the amount of access a particular App has to your device.
    Yes that's a definite + for BlackBerry 10.

ClassicSQC100-3/10.3.2.858
    05-16-16 11:43 PM
    Does it work exactly like BB10 in Android now?

Posted via CB10
    05-16-16 11:46 PM
    Does it work exactly like BB10 in Android now?

Posted via CB10
    When you install an app you no longer get a list of permissions for that app. Instead, when you open the app and the app needs a certain permission (for contacts, camera, access to files) it will ask you for that permission and you can grant it or not. Of course if you grant a permission, you will later be able to revoke that in the Android settings menu.

So pretty much the same.
    05-17-16 02:42 AM
    When you install an app you no longer get a list of permissions for that app. Instead, when you open the app and the app needs a certain permission (for contacts, camera, access to files) it will ask you for that permission and you can grant it or not. Of course if you grant a permission, you will later be able to revoke that in the Android settings menu.

So pretty much the same.
    With BB10 if you deny certain permissions the app will still run. Unless it's a permission that the app depends on to run.

Is it the same with Android apps? I can deny all permissions and have the app still run? As an example like Google maps. If I just want to view the maps and don't need location based services or Google services. Can I turn off all permissions and it will still work?

Posted via CB10
    05-17-16 09:14 AM
    With BB10 if you deny certain permissions the app will still run. Unless it's a permission that the app depends on to run.

Is it the same with Android apps? I can deny all permissions and have the app still run? As an example like Google maps. If I just want to view the maps and don't need location based services or Google services. Can I turn off all permissions and it will still work?

Posted via CB10
    Depends on the app and whether it was originally coded with granular permissions in mind.

This will eventually sort itself out.
    05-17-16 09:30 AM

Posted via CB10
    Yes, designed for this can will still work if you deny them permissions. Of course, some apps may become useless if you deny them certain permissions (like contacts permissions for apps such as whatsapp).

Google Maps (and other Google apps) are considered system apps. Yes, you can disable the location permission for Google maps, but you get a warning saying you can impact system functionality by doing so.
    05-17-16 09:36 AM