Is there an app for blackberry to find a hotspot or is there a blackberry friendly website which can list Wifi hotspot based on location or zip?

Please let me know. Thanks

-GGR
    05-20-09 10:07 AM
    How are you going to use such an app on a non-wifi enabled Storm?
    05-20-09 10:44 AM
    thats what i was thinking...
    05-20-09 10:45 AM
    i still cant believe the ridiculous number of people who just don't seem to be aware that the storm has no wifi

unreal. Do that many people just make blind purchases?
    05-20-09 11:05 AM
    i still cant believe the ridiculous number of people who just don't seem to be aware that the storm has no wifi

unreal. Do that many people just make blind purchases?
    Yea I know.. You think some ppl could read that lil book that came with their phone

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-09 11:12 AM
    Oh, yeah, this guy must be a real ignorant rube to want to use his Storm to find a wifi spot! Can you believe anyone would be that stupid? What a friggin' *****!

...or, maybe he just wants to use his cell phone to try and find a place in a strange town where he can use his laptop. Just saying.
    05-20-09 11:26 AM
    Oh, yeah, this guy must be a real ignorant rube to want to use his Storm to find a wifi spot! Can you believe anyone would be that stupid? What a friggin' *****!

...or, maybe he just wants to use his cell phone to try and find a place in a strange town where he can use his laptop. Just saying.
    Sure, but how would a device without a wifi receptor detect wifi connectivity?
    05-20-09 11:28 AM
    Originally Posted by Reverend Loki

Could be the OP is simply looking for an app that has a database of hotspots.
    05-20-09 11:36 AM
    it wouldn't have to. To quote OP:

Is there an app for blackberry to find a hotspot or is there a blackberry friendly website which can list Wifi hotspot based on location or zip?
    For example, my desktop computer doesn't have wifi, yet I can use it to pull up gwifi.net and find wifi hotspots in my area. Or any area, really.

For the record, I just tried out that site on my Storm - not that friendly.
    05-20-09 11:40 AM
    yeah i mean there are iphone applications that check for hotspots, itd be cool of that app was writing to a central website and keeping records, then they could create an app for the storm which used the gps to check back into their database for the closest wifi hotspot to use

wait i mean. OMG WHAT AN 1DIOT

settle down, dickheads
    05-20-09 11:57 AM
    Maybe a storm user manual app would help first...
    05-20-09 12:00 PM

Could be the OP is simply looking for an app that has a database of hotspots.
    I know, seriously. The people who are going on and on about reading the manual are looking so dumb right now. This app could be useful for exactly what you said - looking up wifi hotspots to use another wifi enabled device like a laptop.

To actually answer the OP's question, there is a website wi-fihotspotlist.com. It works OK in a pinch on the Blackberry browser, but I don't think there is a mobile version sadly. There is a version you can download to your computer though and you can check hotspots without being connected to the website.
    Last edited by mdude85; 05-20-09 at 12:17 PM.
    05-20-09 12:14 PM
    Well said! Some people are just too quick to fire up their flamethrowers� moral here would be a bit like gun control, a$$holes shouldn't have em

05-20-09 02:39 PM
    I know, seriously. The people who are going on and on about reading the manual are looking so dumb right now. This app could be useful for exactly what you said - looking up wifi hotspots to use another wifi enabled device like a laptop.

To actually answer the OP's question, there is a website wi-fihotspotlist.com. It works OK in a pinch on the Blackberry browser, but I don't think there is a mobile version sadly. There is a version you can download to your computer though and you can check hotspots without being connected to the website.

Thanks, I was looking for that purpose. I travel sometimes and I need wifi access to either logon to my work or use my wifi skype phone. I tried using skoot and webmessenger, but they dont work well and I already have wifi skype phone.

On skype client, there is "JiWire Hotspot finder" skype buddy, which can help when I am online, not otherwise.

JiWire has a good collection of hotspots and their options on their website, but their site is not blackberry friendly. Since I will be travelling abroad, I wanted to know if there is an app like JiWire for iPhone for blackberry.

Yes, I do know Storm does not have wifi, but does not mean that people cannot write web-apps for it to find things.

Example: I love Pandora and Slacker, but some times, I would like to listen to my music collection than some random music from somewhere else. Guess what, I installed GNUmp3d on my Desktop Linux and I am able to listen to my music over the internet from my music collection.

I am no programmer, so I would not know how to write an app to do what I am asking or looking for.

If any one finds out a good BB friendly website which lists wifi hotspots, please share. If I find one, I will post it here too.

Thanks

-GGR
    05-20-09 06:52 PM
    *pulls out his fire extinguisher and puts out the flames*
    Ignore them man they get excitable sometimes. Did some research for you and looks like you want the new super pages mobile app. Just go to Yellow Pages: Superpages Yellow Pages, Maps, Driving Directions, Weather... from you blackberry browser. Best of all its free.

Last edited by just2043; 05-20-09 at 09:47 PM.
    05-20-09 09:45 PM
    Yeah superpages shows wifi spots, it's an all around kick *** app too
    05-21-09 01:15 AM
    *pulls out his fire extinguisher and puts out the flames*
    Ignore them man they get excitable sometimes. Did some research for you and looks like you want the new super pages mobile app. Just go to from you blackberry browser. Best of all its free.

Awesome, that website is just what I needed. Whole of next week, I am on the road, so this will be very handy for me. Thanks for helping.

-GGR
    05-21-09 05:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD