I'm actually thinking maybe the quality of apps it is better on os7. BlackBerry 10 still doesn't have a lot of the big name apps that are on os7 such as Shazam,Viber, Facebook Messenger, Zello etc and it also uses a lot of Android ports . Do you agree or disagree? Maybe I'm not fully looking at both sides and someone can convince me otherwise.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-14 05:18 PM
    The potential for apps to be better on BlackBerry 10 is there. Take a look at BBM on BlackBerry 10 for instance. It runs well on both platforms definitely, but I still think because of the inherent hardware differences from the legacy devices, that BlackBerry 10 has more potential for higher quality applications.

Posted via CB10
    Elite1 and stlabrat like this.
    02-08-14 05:33 PM
    I see what you mean in those particular cases, but overall I wouldn't agree.

There's SoundHound instead of Shazam, Skype instead of Viber.

For games, BB10 wins hands down. Not even the same league.

For apps, tons of cool ones. StarTracker, Last Weather App, Crackle, etc... Really depends what you're into.
    02-08-14 05:41 PM
    Used legacy devices for years. BB10 app wise with 10.2.1 dominates. However, for other functions unique to OS7, I know a lot of Posters are waiting for those functions to appear. I personally don't miss OS7.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-14 05:49 PM
    I agree with that

Posted via CB10
    02-08-14 06:25 PM
    I'm not talking about software. I agree BlackBerry 10 is a far superior os I'm talking about apps and apps alone

Posted via CB10
    02-08-14 06:27 PM
    Ya you got some good points. And I agree with you actually that the overall app situation is better on BlackBerry 10 and is only going to get better and ya gaming no question.
    02-08-14 06:27 PM
    I'm still surprised that BlackBerry doesn't try harder to convince every OS 7 user to upgrade. It makes things harder for developers to make apps for both OS. Not only is BlackBerry a smaller market, but they are also divided into two smaller groups.

Even Apple customers have a hard time convincing developers to make native iPad apps, but they are more successful because there are more iPad users than there are BlackBerry OS 10.

BlackBerry might actually make a bigger profit if they can get all OS 7 users to upgrade to OS 10. IMO the number of BlackBerry customers are too small to divide them into two groups. I believe BlackBerry should unit the two.
    02-09-14 01:52 AM
    There's only one app that I miss and that's BlackBerry News. Best RSS app ever imo. I still can't find one where I can read the article in the hub.

Running 10.2.1.2195
    flyingsolid likes this.
    02-09-14 02:01 AM
    I'm still surprised that BlackBerry doesn't try harder to convince every OS 7 user to upgrade. It makes things harder for developers to make apps for both OS. Not only is BlackBerry a smaller market, but they are also divided into two smaller groups.

Even Apple customers have a hard time convincing developers to make native iPad apps, but they are more successful because there are more iPad users than there are BlackBerry OS 10.

BlackBerry might actually make a bigger profit if they can get all OS 7 users to upgrade to OS 10. IMO the number of BlackBerry customers are too small to divide them into two groups. I believe BlackBerry should unit the two.
    Agree! They need to direct advertising at legacy users to get them to know what's new, what isn't there from legacy and the BB10 alternatives, as well as the advertising to the general users, needs to happen fast!

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    02-09-14 03:42 AM
    Agree! They need to direct advertising at legacy users to get them to know what's new, what isn't there from legacy and the BB10 alternatives, as well as the advertising to the general users, needs to happen fast!

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    Not gonna work, too much missing. Legacy users are legacy users for a reason. They had BB10 like options for years yet they chose Legacy.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    02-09-14 03:51 AM
    There's only one app that I miss and that's BlackBerry News. Best RSS app ever imo. I still can't find one where I can read the article in the hub.

Running 10.2.1.2195
    And it syncs across devices and PlayBook. I still use it on the PB every day.

02-09-14 03:53 AM
    Not gonna work, too much missing. Legacy users are legacy users for a reason. They had BB10 like options for years yet they chose Legacy.

Here we go again...

Maybe if you're basing every legacy user on you, the generic user is tired of legacy and as you know most are waiting to andorid/iphone, a lot of them because they think BB10 is just the same,

Yes their legacy users for a reason, because the phones are cheap, and bb10 is expensive, wait until the first round become cheap..

Really they had those options for year and they stuck with legacy? That's why legacy used to sell multi millions and now it's just a few and decreasing? That's why beginning of last year dev support was 16% then dropped 11% in the same time bb10 only dropped 1%?

The world is bigger than you.

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    02-09-14 04:07 AM
    Here we go again...

Maybe if you're basing every legacy user on you, the generic user is tired of legacy and as you know most are waiting to andorid/iphone, a lot of them because they think BB10 is just the same,

Yes their legacy users for a reason, because the phones are cheap, and bb10 is expensive, wait until the first round become cheap..

Really they had those options for year and they stuck with legacy? That's why legacy used to sell multi millions and now it's just a few and decreasing? That's why beginning of last year dev support was 16% then dropped 11% in the same time bb10 only dropped 1%?

The world is bigger than you.

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    Where we go again with meaningless out of context stats.

And I am the generic Legacy user. If I wanted an android like device with android apps I could've switched in 2009 or so. But I didn't, not in 2010, not in 2011, not in 2012, not in 2013 and not in 2014.

02-09-14 04:18 AM
    I'm still surprised that BlackBerry doesn't try harder to convince every OS 7 user to upgrade.
    It's not an upgrade until BB10 incorporates all legacy features. Even then, the new ecosystem might be a turn-off for some, and I think it would be wise to have the option for BB10 devices to present a legacy interface. Some sort of physical or onscreen trackpad is a must at a minimum.
    02-09-14 04:27 AM
    Where we go again with meaningless out of context stats.

And I am the generic Legacy user. If I wanted an android like device with android apps I could've switched in 2009 or so. But I didn't, not in 2010, not in 2011, not in 2012, not in 2013 and not in 2014.

Right because generic legacy users are BES activated , because generic legacy users require top notch email systems.. okay.

When I say generic, I mean average, I mean the kind of user that propelled the legacy rise who wanted a blackberry for bbm and then the other features where a bonus.. who as soon as alternatives came along dropped their legacy device because being a generic user, their needs can easily be met by other platforms, by your own description, you're not a generic user..

Most people compare the Z10 to an iPhone on appearance but anyway this thread is about apps, you don't have to get andorid apps it's a choice, blackberry world 10 is full of native apps,

Yes bb7 had more apps (especially in terms of banking etc) but it's older and had built a userbase that made coding for it worthwhile, Blackberry 10 is getting there

Baby(10) vs toddler (07)

The android just means it's versatile and is users can't wait for native apps, they don't have to, it's a choice...

Why not Let people decide for themselves, imo this couldnt be more in context ;

App ecosystem: OS7 vs BB10-crackberry-image-3-.jpg

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    02-09-14 04:30 AM
    It's not an upgrade until BB10 incorporates all legacy features. Even then, the new ecosystem might be a turn-off for some, and I think it would be wise to have the option for BB10 devices to present a legacy interface. Some sort of physical or onscreen trackpad is a must at a minimum.
    What if that's just not possible? This thread is about apps ecosystem anyway but you need to consider that b10 os a brand new house, BlackBerry could have just kept updating bb07 but they decided to try and get the generic user. And slowly where possible they are now bringing features back, but as it's been said on several threads, for a number of reasons including the Devs available and efficiency, it may not be possible to transfer all the features, and whilst there are some things to miss, I'm excited to see how bb10 will grow it's own way both in term of apps and OS

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    02-09-14 04:33 AM
    What if that's just not possible? This thread is about apps ecosystem anyway but you need to consider that b10 os a brand new house, BlackBerry could have just kept updating bb07 but they decided to try and get the generic user. And slowly where possible they are now bringing features back, but as it's been said on several threads, for a number of reasons including the Devs available and efficiency, it may not be possible to transfer all the features, and whilst there are some things to miss, I'm excited to see how bb10 will grow it's own way both in term of apps and OS

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    What is that's not possible? In that case the power and flexibility of QNX/BB10 was grossly overestimated.

02-09-14 04:37 AM
    Right because generic legacy users are BES activated , because generic legacy users require top notch email systems.. okay.

When I say generic, I mean average, I mean the kind of user that propelled the legacy rise who wanted a blackberry for bbm and then the other features where a bonus.. who as soon as alternatives came along dropped their legacy device because being a generic user, their needs can easily be met by other platforms, by your own description, you're not a generic user..

Most people compare the Z10 to an iPhone on appearance but anyway this thread is about apps, you don't have to get andorid apps it's a choice, blackberry world 10 is full of native apps,

Yes bb7 had more apps (especially in terms of banking etc) but it's older and had built a userbase that made coding for it worthwhile, Blackberry 10 is getting there

Baby(10) vs toddler (07)

The android just means it's versatile and is users can't wait for native apps, they don't have to, it's a choice...

Why not Let people decide for themselves, imo this couldnt be more in context ;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CrackBerry Image(3).jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	246281

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    Right, so why would anybody go out to buy a "baby" device? At least the "toddler" could walk.

02-09-14 04:38 AM

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    BB10 is supposed to be a far more versatile OS than the legacy Java. Not wanting to contribute development resources doesn't make features "not possible."
    02-09-14 04:43 AM
    Right, so why would anybody go out to buy a "baby" device? At least the "toddler" could walk.

Because the toddler is infected with a disease and will die soon, but you want to transplant the organs of the toddler into the baby even though some will likely get rejected

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    02-09-14 04:48 AM
    BB10 is supposed to be a far more versatile OS than the legacy Java. Not wanting to contribute development resources doesn't make features "not possible."
    It's not about not wanting to contribute development resources, when bb10 was being made they kept the team separate from the legacy team (even through some employees objected)..

What i meant was the people who coded the features into legacy may not be around anymore, and the current employees may not know the best way to incorporate certain features whilst minimising the bugs
    .. BB10 is a different vehicle, not based on legacy..

If you want the ins and outs just search for it, the threads are full off it, just the 'why os7 outselling BB10' thread will give you plenty of information on the technicalitys.

But i repeat this thread is about apps , let's not hijack it ..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    02-09-14 04:54 AM
    It's not about not wanting to contribute development resources, when bb10 was being made they kept the team separate from the legacy team (even through some employees objected)..

What i meant was the people who coded the features into legacy may not be around anymore, and the current employees may not know the best way to incorporate certain features whilst minimising the bugs
    .. BB10 is a different vehicle, not based on legacy..

If you want the ins and outs just search for it, the threads are full off it, just the 'why os7 outselling BB10' thread will give you plenty of information on the technicalitys.

But i repeat this thread is about apps , let's not hijack it ..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    Ok, In that case where are the missing native apps? BB News, Social Feeds, BB Podcasts, BB Music, Battery Saving Mode, Firewall. Doesn't even have a music equaliser for god sake, and people have been complaining about that since the PlayBook was released.

02-09-14 05:03 AM
    Ok, In that case where are the missing native apps? BB News, Social Feeds, BB Podcasts, BB Music, Battery Saving Mode, Firewall. Doesn't even have a music equaliser for god sake, and people have been complaining about that since the PlayBook was released.

Bb10 is a different baby, there are BB10(non native) alternatives for a lot of the things you've mentioned, battery saving mode? Q10, Z30 don't need that, music eq : Neutron yes it's not native, but does the job

Furthermore as it keeps being said things are being added all the time! We didn't have a native radio, now (Z10 aside) we do, the BB10 ecosystem has more potential than the BB07 one ..

I could not go back to legacy after using this, and I know a lot of people who feel the same,they would rather got to other platforms than back to legacy, it's good that your experience with it was pleasant, but the app experience is so much better on BB10 things run smoother, would you play real racing 3 on your legacy device? Not just gaming apps, even on the Q10 apps rum smoother..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    02-09-14 05:17 AM
    Bb10 is a different baby, there are BB10(non native) alternatives for a lot of the things you've mentioned, battery saving mode? Q10, Z30 don't need that, music eq : Neutron yes it's not native, but does the job

Furthermore as it keeps being said things are being added all the time! We didn't have a native radio, now (Z10 aside) we do, the BB10 ecosystem has more potential than the BB07 one ..

I could not go back to legacy after using this, and I know a lot of people who feel the same,they would rather got to other platforms than back to legacy, it's good that your experience with it was pleasant, but the app experience is so much better on BB10 things run smoother, would you play real racing 3 on your legacy device? Not just gaming apps, even on the Q10 apps rum smoother..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    I don't think anybody ever bought a 9900 for its gaming abilities but my 9900 played Need For Speed pretty smooth at the same time when my Z10 couldn't, it kept freezing for fractions of a second. Pretty annoying.

And having to pay �5 for a music app just to have an equliser is pretty ridiculous, even my first BB, the curve 8320 had one, FREE and native.

02-09-14 05:39 AM
35 12