Hi all,

I am going to hopefully buy a refurbished sim-free 8310 and already have a Vodafone uk contract that includes mobile internet. I will want to have my Gmail mail hit my BB farily quickly but do not need push email. I also will want to browse the web and use Facebook & Googletalk. Oh and I want to use gps/maps and make calls and send texts too . My question is will a blackberry work without BIS/BES and will VF sense that I am using it and want to up the charges.

Thanks in anticipation.

Brian.
    02-06-09 06:06 AM
    SUre the phone will work. You could use the google app to get your mail. But if you want it pushed your going to need BIS at minimum. To get the internet to work you will need a blackberry data plan. The standard data plan wont do it for you.
    02-06-09 07:04 AM
    Thanks. So that means that blackberries can't see the internet without seeing the RIM network/servers on their way - my data plan covers any internet usage (web & voip).

Regards.
    02-06-09 07:22 AM
    That'a right, Vodafone release the browser icon to you when you subscribe to BIS (�15pm UK), you get push for this too. It's the option I would recommend, it's worth it.
    02-06-09 07:45 AM
    But what if it's an unbranded phone. Won't all the icons work by default. I am already paying �35 for 900mins, unlimited texts and Internet. The Internet is only worth �5 and so I'll end up paying �45 in total. I'll have to switch to o2 as they are doing free unlimited blackberry (worth �10) with a �30 per month 24 month contract - saving me �15 month. I'm sure there's a difference when the handset is not branded normally - maybe BBs are crippled by default.
    02-06-09 08:26 AM
    Unbranded phone = same situation. For the Blackberry to work, your provider needs to register the handset through RIM on a dataplan, this allows the icon to be freed up to you, via your unique PIN number.

I agree it is pricey with VF but the have the best coverage and 3G for me, which is why I am with them, O2 suck on that front and what's the point od me having a BB if I can't use it?

Unlocked handsets are not dead by default, when I've my new ones before the plan is switched on/over, there is no Icon or setup options.

You register through Vodafone's BIS site, then sort your data plan, then send databooks through BIS to your handset and you will be in business
    02-06-09 08:39 AM
    You can get internet access if you download the Opera mini browser and enter Vodafone's APN settings onto the device. This should also allow you to run the gmail application and some others.

Your internet package should then cover you for data use.

Hope that helps

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-06-09 08:51 AM
    This should help.

How to use BlackBerry on Generic Data Plan - BlackBerryFAQ

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-06-09 08:53 AM
    Now were cookin'. Thanks . I think I can deal with the limitations.
    02-06-09 09:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD