Hi everyone,

I'm sorry to bother, but I'm really desperate and don't know who to ask. I just got my first bill for BIS (first month with BIS) and I expected I was gonna pay cca 31 dollars but the bill says 294 dollars!!! I called the helplink and explained my problem, the lady said it was their problem and wrote down a claim. It's been four days and nothing's happening. But that's not the problem.

The thing is.. I googled a bit and found out that if I have ticked the APN in settings it might get non-BIS data and therefore I'd pay much more... Is this true? I forgot to untick APN when I got BIS.

I called once again the O2 and they told me it was their mistake but I just can't sleep now.

I don't have any special apps.. Facebook, Ubertwitter, Google Maps..

Do you think they will admit a claim?

Thanks in advance,

Your desperate Jane.
    03-24-10 10:14 AM
    You just purchased the phone, and they should have had the correct APN settings already loaded. If you have a doubt it's right, check here:

Carrier specific APN/TCP settings - BlackBerryFAQ

WAPers do it With A Passion
    If everyone spoke Wulfanese�, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by BigBadWulf; 03-24-10 at 10:24 AM.
    03-24-10 10:21 AM
    But I didn't buy my phone at the O2. When I bought it in December (brand new) I had only a data plan from O2, but not a BIS. Then I turned to BIS.
    03-24-10 10:24 AM
    The problem is NOT HOW TO SET UP APN, but if APN CAN CAUSE EXTRA CHARGES. Thanks in advance.
    03-24-10 10:26 AM
    The only way data would have worked, was to have the APN set. Sorry, I put the wrong link up at first.

If everyone spoke Wulfanese�, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.

03-24-10 10:26 AM
    I don't have APN active right now and everything works...
    03-24-10 10:28 AM
    It would cause extra charges, if you used data beyond your plan. I don't know what your specific plan covered, or what you used.

03-24-10 10:29 AM
    Your APN settings are blank, and you still are capable of accessing data?

03-24-10 10:30 AM
    Neither do I. It's called Blackberry e-mail and O2 says that it's e-mail, browsing and unlimited data.
    03-24-10 10:31 AM
    Your APN settings are blank, and you still are capable of accessing data?

yes. I don't understand anything right now..
    03-24-10 10:31 AM
    If it says unlimited data, then unless you have tethering APN settings, and high data usage, it should be the rate you were given. I know with at&t I've used tethering APN settings for months, and had no change in my bill.

03-24-10 10:38 AM
    You may have the same ****ty problem that I faced with my carrier.
    My carrier forbids tethering. So therefore tethering is charged separately. Now they blocked it altogether when you change the APN.
    Ideally you APN should be left blank and unchecked as the first option, or as blackberry.net with no login and password. This is RIM's general device APN. You need to confirm this with your carrier. Your carrier may have other APN for mobile broadband and streaming, so you need to check with them what is generally accessible to you on your device without incurring extra charges. Note that most carriers cannot support streaming (like from YouTube) and they have another APN for YouTube which you can use at no extra charge unless you're forbidden to access YouTube or streaming sites at all.
    Generally you can appeal to them to say that you were unaware of this settings as you're new and it was done by some people in the shops blah blah blah. Happens to me almost every month. Gives me a strange feeling that it was people like me that my carrier banned the use of any other APNs recently!
    03-24-10 10:59 AM
    @FunkyDog Yes! That's what I learned after four hours of calling the O2 help desk and some kind of a technical support. I spent four hours talking to six different people, each of them told me something different. One told me they should totally admit the claim, one told me I could try it but he doubts it. Anyway, I told them to forbid me any other internet connections except for Blackberry. Everything works so I guess I'm running on BIS and nothing else. I'm very curious how this is gonna end up...

See, BlackBerry is something very new in the Czech rep. and neither O2 knows what to do, obviously. I activated BIS a month ago, it took four visits and several phone calls to get it activated. No one told me what to do after. I set up my e-mail, everything, got a Service Book or what the **** it's called and thought I was done.

Wish me Luck please.

And thanks for responses!!
    03-24-10 05:11 PM
    Generally, the Blackberry should be able to access the blackberry.net APN by itself, without having to tinker with the device's TCP/IP settings....by doing so, and adding the carrier's APN (meant for other devices), you could incur charges.
    03-24-10 10:22 PM
    Did you connect it to wifi by any chance? I ran into this problem once with orange. If you coonect to wifi but the browser is set to orange browser(or wap browser), in your case O2 browser, it will confuse their systems and start charging you. Would this be the case with you?
    Browser should be set to internet browser always.

03-25-10 01:51 AM
    No, I never connected to wifi. And it wasn't set by itself to blackberry.net either browser to internet browser. When they activated the BIS, I downloaded that service book, it rebooted itself and I thought it was done. I wouldn't even know I should check some browser settings. plus that month ago, I called the O2 helpdesk and they told me it should be all done after reboot.. So.. I was na�ve, but as one help desk guy told me, I wasn't the only one with this problem and he also told me those who manage claims use to be kind in these cases. I don't know. I guess they don't know either how it should be set...
    Now, my browser is set to internet browser, APN is on blackberry.net and I have forbidden any internet connection except for BIS... And it works.. So I guess NOW it's set up well.

03-25-10 02:34 AM
    You shouldn't have had to mess with a dang thing Jane. Don't let them charge you for what is their responsibility. If anything, O2 needs to get someone from the home office out to Prague, and teach support how to set up their customers.
    03-25-10 04:46 AM
    @BigBadWulf I know.. It's all in the beginnings here, but that's not an excuse.. I'm very curious if they'll admit the claim...

03-25-10 12:40 PM
    @BigBadWulf I know.. It's all in the beginnings here, but that's not an excuse.. I'm very curious if they'll admit the claim...

Hey, don't expect much from the regular call centre guy or girl, ask for somebody from blackberry support. As far as you're concerned you've already paid for unlimited data and there shouldn't be any extra charges. Orange UK tried to charge 10 months line rental once, lucky I didn't have a direct debit set up with them. I can undarstand the shock when you first saw your bill

03-25-10 02:45 PM
    Hey, don't expect much from the regular call centre guy or girl, ask for somebody from blackberry support. As far as you're concerned you've already paid for unlimited data and there shouldn't be any extra charges. Orange UK tried to charge 10 months line rental once, lucky I didn't have a direct debit set up with them. I can undarstand the shock when you first saw your bill

Thank you for you support, honestly... Wow.. I didn't even think about contacting someone from Blackberry support.. I don't even know which number I should call... I highly doubt there's some Czech BB support, tho. Guess the bill would be even hiiiigher with calls to UK or somewhere
    03-25-10 03:11 PM
    Thank you for you support, honestly... Wow.. I didn't even think about contacting someone from Blackberry support.. I don't even know which number I should call... I highly doubt there's some Czech BB support, tho. Guess the bill would be even hiiiigher with calls to UK or somewhere
    When you phone your provider just ask them to put you trough to the blackberry support people. Every provider that sells blackberry will have blackberry clued up people.

03-25-10 03:20 PM
    I really don't think so. In total I spoke to cca 25 people from the O2 about my Blackberry problems and neither of them mentioned some bb support people. But I might be wrong.. Nevertheless I still hope I won't need any help for at least next two or three weeks..

03-25-10 05:10 PM
    YES! They admitted the claim and that nice man who manages the claims told me he would take care of my next bill too! And he also said that since yesterday's morning it was all okay when he looked at my current bill.

Thank you everyone!
    03-26-10 06:28 AM
    That's great Jane! Now you can relax and burn up that unlimited data.

03-26-10 08:08 AM
    YES! They admitted the claim and that nice man who manages the claims told me he would take care of my next bill too! And he also said that since yesterday's morning it was all okay when he looked at my current bill.

Thank you everyone!
    Glad to hear it! Enjoy!

03-26-10 08:23 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD