Are they the same thing?

Posted via CB10
    02-12-14 10:27 AM
    In my case have only one the AP mobile app (associated Press) stopped working after OS update 10.2.1 try deleting and reinstalling of the bb world but did not work, so I had to install the version of android AP mobile app from the awesome Snap and it works great!!, better than the version in blackberry world.
    02-12-14 10:35 AM
    Are they the same thing?

Posted via CB10
    NO. Apk is a untouched Android app - made for Android devices, whilst a port is an app originally made for one platform modified and made for a different platform.

In BBWORLD you find native BlackBerry10 apps, you find un-modified Android apps, and you can find some apps originally written for iOS or Android which is Ported over to BlackBerry10 platform .

BlackBerry10 have Android runtime system, allowing it to run many Android apps. Some Android developers want to sell apps, and have repacked their Android app and made them available in BBWORLD. This is NOT a Port, just a repack of the same Android app they have.
    1guitarguy likes this.
    02-12-14 11:49 AM
    Meh, only difference is the ones in BlackBerry World are signed and allowed to run manifests such as headless. Other than that, not really much difference.
    02-12-14 12:00 PM
    Thanks for the clarification

Posted via CB10
    02-12-14 12:05 PM
    NO. Apk is a untouched Android app - made for Android devices, whilst a port is an app originally made for one platform modified and made for a different platform.

In BBWORLD you find native BlackBerry10 apps, you find un-modified Android apps, and you can find some apps originally written for iOS or Android which is Ported over to BlackBerry10 platform .

BlackBerry10 have Android runtime system, allowing it to run many Android apps. Some Android developers want to sell apps, and have repacked their Android app and made them available in BBWORLD. This is NOT a Port, just a repack of the same Android app they have.
    Um... So how are they different? Haha. An APK that is converted to a bar file on your computer is the same thing as an APK that is converted to a bar file on your device, no?
    02-12-14 12:09 PM
    Apks will be updated alongside the android versions. Ports will take longer for developers to get around to because it has to be submitted to BlackBerry

C001B7B16 The Gif Exchange
    02-12-14 12:10 PM
    Um... So how are they different? Haha. An APK that is converted to a bar file on your computer is the same thing as an APK that is converted to a bar file on your device, no?
    Anyways... apks work better (not all but some do work very good! )

Since 2010 ?
    02-12-14 12:12 PM
    Meh, only difference is the ones in BlackBerry World are signed and allowed to run manifests such as headless. Other than that, not really much difference.
    Do the you run the risk going through Google's spammy servers and have your data compromised through the use of a port? Or is bbw still the best place to get curated apps free of spam and spy/malware even though you are downloading a port?

? We have apks cuz we need 'em not cuz we want 'em ?
    03-01-14 07:28 AM
    So why is it that I have Skype downloaded from BBW (or maybe it was even pre-installed on my Q1O) and when 10.2.1. arrived I installed 1 Mobile Market and now get updates notifications from 1 Mobile for apps I have downloaded from BBW, including Skype?

you can see my screenshots here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...-world-910933/
    03-03-14 01:17 AM