I have a Curve 8320. Im just wondering if there is anyway to hide phone numbers from showing up in the phonebook. Mainly so nosey people cant see them. but maybe unlock them if i need to find someone.
    Thanks!!!!!!
    Also, while i have your attention, if i get an 8310 with GPS, would i be able to unlock it and use it with tmobile and still use the GPS?
    06-18-08 10:07 AM
    you could just put the person under a different name or you could just save them to the sim phone book and not the address book everytime you reset your phone you have to load the sim phone book or you could not be doing shady stuff to hide peoples numbers lol
    06-18-08 10:11 AM
    I don't think you can hide the phone #'s in the adderss book. As far as the 8310 if you buy a GSM phone you can unlock it and use it on any GSM network, just make sure your Sp doen't cripple the GSP otherwise you will have to spend extra on the GPS service.
    06-18-08 10:13 AM
    you could just put the person under a different name or you could just save them to the sim phone book and not the address book everytime you reset your phone you have to load the sim phone book or you could not be doing shady stuff to hide peoples numbers lol
    your right. but its so hard being a young sexy guy. lol Thanks!
    06-18-08 10:15 AM
    There is no way to "hide" a contact, per se

But, you could always switch to the SIM phone book around nosey people and they would not know the difference. (and keep the other 'secret' contacts on the devices phone book)

Or you could do it the other way around... keep the 'secret' people on the SIM card and switch to that when you need the number.

The best way could also be to make a group in the address book to add those people to... and name it some random name.

Or you can filter the address book and only people in certain categories will show... (Business / Personal)
    06-18-08 10:26 AM
    Actually... to add more info.

The best way I can think of doing this would be as follows:

1) Go to your contact / add new contact
    2) Edit the contact and go to the categories field
    3) Select > Categories
    4) A list of created categories comes up... and you can select one for the contact
    5) Put the contact in a category or create a new one (Private)

Create a new one by pressing menu > new (from that select categories screen)

Once you have the contact added to a category... then you can use filters.

All of your contacts will need a category for this. So assign the other "non-private" ones to "Personal".

Then from the Address Book hit Menu > Filter > Personal and it will show ALL contacts EXCEPT the ones in the Private category

Might take some time to add all contacts to a category but it is the best solution I can think of
    06-18-08 10:36 AM
    Actually... to add more info.

The best way I can think of doing this would be as follows:

1) Go to your contact / add new contact
    2) Edit the contact and go to the categories field
    3) Select > Categories
    4) A list of created categories comes up... and you can select one for the contact
    5) Put the contact in a category or create a new one (Private)

Create a new one by pressing menu > new (from that select categories screen)

Once you have the contact added to a category... then you can use filters.

All of your contacts will need a category for this. So assign the other "non-private" ones to "Personal".

Then from the Address Book hit Menu > Filter > Personal and it will show ALL contacts EXCEPT the ones in the Private category

Might take some time to add all contacts to a category but it is the best solution I can think of

Thanks!!!!! That is perfect. And I just noticed that your a buckeye and is in columbus also. GO BUCKS!!!!!!!!!!
    Im up north by polaris. I might just have to buy you a beer or something one day.
    Thanks again for taking the time out to explane this to me.
    06-18-08 10:45 AM
    Yes, ^^^ will work fine BUT, why do we pay all this money for a Blackberry only to find that RIM has not built in a way to configure the Address Book so that it works the way you want. The way you want it is different from the way that I want to see my Addres book and that is different from many other owners. I would like a choice of backgrond color (maybe my wallpaper, maybe not), font and font size and color too.

RIM needs to wake up and give owners what they want or they will not be owners for long. I for one am getting just a little fed up with RIM's 1980s approach to its system tools.
    06-18-08 11:02 AM
    Stick with one girl at a time, and you won't need to worry about it.

But, best way to protect your phone book is to lock your phone. =)
    06-18-08 11:03 AM
    Thanks!!!!! That is perfect. And I just noticed that your a buckeye and is in columbus also. GO BUCKS!!!!!!!!!!
    Im up north by polaris. I might just have to buy you a beer or something one day.
    Thanks again for taking the time out to explane this to me.
    Niiice man!! GO BUCKS!!

I am over by the Dublin area... and I might have to take you up on the beer hahaha

But I hope that could help
    06-18-08 11:05 AM
    Although this filtering works it does not completely hide contacts.. If perhaps my girlfriend pics up my phone and hits the talk button and access my contacts that way, it will show all contacts private or not. It also does the same if you hold down the talk button. PLEASE HELP!!!
    01-15-09 09:28 PM
    Email them to yourself in a nondescript email message (Subject = "Work numbers to remember"). The numbers contained inside the email are clickable links that let you dial right from the email.

Clear your call log of outgoing calls -- like you no doubt clear the incoming -- and no one's the wiser.
    01-15-09 10:26 PM
    the only way to do what you want is to not let any one touch your phone.
    01-15-09 10:31 PM
    But, best way to protect your phone book is to lock your phone. =)
    What he said. Nosey people shouldn't be looking in your phone in the first place, not if you have something to hide. Step one in BB security is password protect all access to it and lock it when it's not being used.
    01-16-09 06:54 AM
    Oh, and I'm Ohio State class of '91. Go Bucks!
    01-16-09 06:54 AM
    Either man up, and quit doing something youo aint supposed too, OR if its all kosher, talk to your GF about touching your stuff and her insecurities.

These types of Q always AMAZE me.
    01-16-09 06:56 AM
    Did he reveal that much, maybe there other reasons for hidding numbers. I'm not gonna judge him or be his shrink. I go the fliter route could be a salesman and want to protect some come contacts. Many many reasons I wish I could be a bigger help but I am a 3 month user still learning

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-16-09 07:53 AM
    What's amazing to me is how weird relationship stuff can get. A friend of my wife's is in a crumbling r-ship right now, and one of the first things she did was start digging in his computer looking for anything incriminating, and haunting the usual on-line dating sites to see if he had a current profile up, and so on (she would vent at my wife about it, hence it making it to my ears).

Come on, already.

If you feel that way about them, then save yourself some time and trouble and get out of the frikken r-ship right now, not later, because it's doomed already.
    01-16-09 07:54 AM
    R-ship advice lol on crackberry lol

01-16-09 08:03 AM
    Almost every thread some how takes a turn and becomes water cooler talk, dear abby, or physc 101 lol. We must apply everything and everyones posts in to our lives some how and relate it to our own life exps.

This a social network lol

01-16-09 08:07 AM
    Yep; it's a community. Stuff like that happens, can't have a sense of community and lock down off-topic excursions completely. The mods do a great job of keeping that thin line maintained.
    01-16-09 08:09 AM
    Do any of you realize you are answering a thread from 7 months
    ago from a user whose last activity on this site was August 2008.
    01-16-09 08:12 AM
    Yep, but again, these never cease to amaze me.
    01-16-09 08:13 AM
    Do any of you realize you are answering a thread from 7 months
    ago from a user whose last activity on this site was August 2008.
    No, I didn't think to check the OP date. D'oh!
    01-16-09 08:20 AM
    I understand its a community and I'm all for off topic stuff and homur even I love humor. But did you see the OP's. OP? Nothing said about a grl or an R_ship!

Off topic is great but why judge people I understand I an being hypo but I'm talking about how the replys are formed from the OP and how people feel the need to read between the lines when no lines were drawn

Yep; it's a community. Stuff like that happens, can't have a sense of community and lock down off-topic excursions completely. The mods do a great job of keeping that thin line maintained.
    01-16-09 08:23 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD