Anyone using wirless n router for uma? Doesn't matter what brand (Linksys, Netgear,etc.) just would like some feedback before I purchase. Currently using Linksys wrg 54 (not tmobiles) and would like to see if current model would give me better service.
    05-27-09 09:32 PM
    You don't want to get an n based router. Your device doesn't support n as of yet.
    05-28-09 08:24 AM
    It was my understanding the 8900 supports wireless n routers.
    05-28-09 08:42 AM
    I have a wireless N router at home but there is new revision of N coming out soon that is supposed to be better than whats out now.
    05-28-09 08:48 AM
    My understanding of the current N routers is that they are required to be backward-compatible (at least as far back as G). I wouldn't buy one simply because the revision of 802.11 they represent isn't standardized yet. All that means, though, is that devices from different manufacturers may or may not be compatible with each other.

I was also led to believe that the 8900 will work with Draft-N routers. Maybe because the routers are backward compatible. I honestly don't recall. I've done an awful lot of reading (about routers, actually) in the past few days...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-28-09 09:23 AM
    I have a Curve 8900. i just bought the linksys WRT160N (n router). to connect my blackberry to the network, the blackberry generated a pin that i needed to enter in the wireless router. (what a pain)

i talked with linksys tech support 3 x and they don't know how to eliminate the problem. i'm returning this router for a wireless G.

originally i wanted the N for greater range. if anyone figures out how to use the N with the 8900, i'll be interested to find out
    05-28-09 05:58 PM
    Im sure that is possible to get it to work. I just havent heard of anyone getting any type of n or draft n router to work with a blackberry properly. There has been many thread started on this. Dont get me wrong...Id love to see n based for a bb but right now....aint happening. Took long enough to get the uma handover problem straight.
    05-28-09 07:04 PM
    I'm using a wrt160n and it is backwards compatible with g, b and a. Works great with my bold and setup with wpa2 security was simple.

Range is not great, about 45 feet...but there is a lot of intereference and many walls between that 45 feet

05-31-09 05:49 AM
    I have a Curve 8900. i just bought the linksys WRT160N (n router). to connect my blackberry to the network, the blackberry generated a pin that i needed to enter in the wireless router. (what a pain)

i talked with linksys tech support 3 x and they don't know how to eliminate the problem. i'm returning this router for a wireless G.

originally i wanted the N for greater range. if anyone figures out how to use the N with the 8900, i'll be interested to find out
    If that "pin" is your handset's MAC address, you DO need to enter it into the router or your UMA call quality is likely to be crap. I don't see what the big deal is. You'll have to do that with ANY router for the best UMA call quality. And you'll probably want to tweak a few other settings, too...
    06-01-09 04:06 AM
    I have a Linksys, where do I enter this? After I access the router with 192.168.1.1 of course.
    09-15-09 12:11 PM
    I'm running a netgear wireless n router. My 8320 has no problem using it, I use wifi like a crazy person at home.

09-15-09 03:52 PM
    You don't want to get an n based router. Your device doesn't support n as of yet.
    it does work and it IS backward compatible.....8900 DOES support it...some of the older devices do NOT
    09-20-09 07:32 PM
    I have a linksys WRT160 N and it works great. My BB's have no problem connecting. It will broadcast b/g or N.
    09-21-09 10:52 AM
    exactly......N's are always backwards compatible
    09-21-09 11:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD