Anyone use BB camera as a substitue for a digital camera>?
    10-27-08 11:54 PM
    Definitely not... you cannot sacrifice the quality of a digital camera by using the BlackBerry camera. Granted, the newer devices will have higher quality cameras... but they still will not be able to touch a stand-alone digital camera.

I can see using the BlackBerry camera in circumstances when you do not have a digital camera, as I have done on multiple occasions... but using it as a primary camera will never happen for me
    10-27-08 11:56 PM
    No. Only in instances where a real camera not avail.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-28-08 12:03 AM
    Oh good lord no. Nothing in any camera phone would ever make
    me give up my SLR's or DSLR's. For quick shots it is adequate but
    if I need a "real" picture my phone is my absolute last choice.
    10-28-08 12:40 AM
    well since we dont all carry a SLR or DSLR i think my camer phone is great for those quick shots like friends falling, stupid poses, and just overall stupidity :-)
    10-28-08 12:45 AM
    ^ You completely missed the point. All of us are saying that when
    no other camera is available the BB camera phone will do. It will
    not however replace the quality of a REAL camera.
    10-28-08 12:59 AM
    ^^sorry i misunderstood wat you were saying. its a late night. im just looking for things to keep me occupied :-(
    10-28-08 01:20 AM
    ^ I hear ya CJ. I'm up for about an hour more myself, so the quality
    of my cognitive function may degrade at any moment
    10-28-08 01:29 AM
    haha
    only an hour more? you sir are lucky ill be around for another....at least 6hrs ugh
    10-28-08 01:34 AM
    nope. the bb camera or any phone camera for that matter is useful for those emergency situations when your main camera is not w/ you. but i just can't see taking a vacation and using my bb camera as the main source for capturing valuable memories. the quality just isn't that good -- yet.
    10-28-08 01:51 AM
    I will grab my little Canon digital camera if I want "decent" pics. Good to have the BB Cam for those candid moments or if someone were to smash their car into mine and I want to document the scene. Knock on Wood
    10-28-08 01:58 AM
    The cam on my curve is awesome like digital quality... So much better than my old curve... I'm luvin it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-28-08 02:07 AM
    The cam on my curve is awesome like digital quality... So much better than my old curve... I'm luvin it
    You can't be serious. There is no camera phone that can even come close to
    the quality of an actual camera.

Why? Because no camera phone has the the optics of a real camera. And add
    to that the majority of them use digital zoom as opposed to optical zoom, which
    instantly degrades the resolution of the captured image.

Face facts, the BB phone is good in a pinch, but even Stevie Wonder could tell
    you it does not come remotely close to a real camera.

"Like digital quality", NO, and anyone who has a good stand alone digital camera
    will tell you the same.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 10-28-08 at 02:23 AM.
    10-28-08 02:20 AM
    even Stevie Wonder could tell you it does not come remotely close to a real camera.
    That's not why they call it Blackberry... or is it?
    10-28-08 02:26 AM
    I use mine for the times when I wish I had my camera. The quality is ok but nothing compared to my digital.
    10-28-08 05:53 AM
    You can't be serious. There is no camera phone that can even come close to
    the quality of an actual camera.
    I think that you have had access to some good digital cameras.
    Myself, I haven't had a digital camera since my old "2.0 megapixel" Fujifilm camera broke.

So for people like me that have never experienced the "8.0 and 10.0 megapixel SLR" cameras like you have, the BBerry camera is just fine....

Dm
    10-28-08 12:25 PM
    I use mine on Emergency calls. Works great later for debriefing and also any fact swill show in pictures off the phone.....

Plus We get some cool shots as well.
    10-28-08 12:37 PM
    I think that you have had access to some good digital cameras.
    Myself, I haven't had a digital camera since my old "2.0 megapixel" Fujifilm camera broke.

So for people like me that have never experienced the "8.0 and 10.0 megapixel SLR" cameras like you have, the BBerry camera is just fine....

Dm
    By your standards--megapixels--I haven't had access to good digital cameras either. The thing is, it's not all about megapixels. There are sub 8MP cameras out there that can shame rigs with higher pixel counts.

My current rig is a modest Kodak Z700 P&S compact, 4 megapixels. It takes wonderful pictures in my opinion, and unless they're going to be enlarged beyond 11x17 it's more than capable of producing distortion-free images with plenty of detail and rich, accurate color.

Prior to that I had an HP P&S 4.1 megapixel camera. It sucked...badly. Images produced by that camera compared to those produced by the Kodak would imply the Kodak had perhaps twice the pixel count. So much for math.

My Pearl has a 2 megapixel camera. Thus one would expect it to produce images with approximately half the image quality of the Kodak. It doesn't. I would say the images produced with the Pearl are perhaps 1/8 the quality of those rendered by the Kodak. Detail is mediocre regardless of lighting and distance to subject. White balance is frequently out of whack. It cannot accurately render darker shades of gray and black. It cannot take close up shots. The last time I saw shots this bad out of a digicam was when I bought and used a 1MP camera that cost me $20 from Wal-Mart. Yeah, it's *that* bad.

The problem is likely inferior optics and image processing in the Pearl, which I can live with because I'd rather have RIM focus their R&D on the parts of the phone that are more important to me (phone, email, Web etc.) than blow it on a camera that I really only occasionally use.

Bottom line...it's not all about megapixels. The BB camera is good when you have no other digicam handy to use and need to capture a moment. A 2MP dedicated digicam is gonna smoke a 2MP BlackBerry any day of the week.

So...those of you thinking a 'Berry with its integrated digital camera can kill two birds with one stone...don't throw out your dedicated digicams just yet.

(sorry that was so long winded...I can't make a point succinctly )
    10-28-08 02:33 PM
    its my only camera yes i know the quality isnt that good but good enough for what i use them for (there better than 1/2 of the rest of the pics on myspace) and most of the time when i show them to anyone its on the phone.
    10-28-08 06:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD