It looks like Netflix has no intentions of building an app for BB 10 anytime soon. However, there may be a way to get the executive's attention on why they should. June 7th is Netflix's annual general meeting. Anyone who is a shareholder and can attend the meeting in California and take advantage of the Q&A and provide compelling reasons and ask why they don't. I think the following points would make strong arguments:

1. There are 78 million BlackBerry users on the legacy OS and will be upgrading to BB10 over the next couple of years. Unfortunately this statistic is worldwide and does not reflect the actual countries that Netflix offers its service to.
    2. Currently Netflix can be sideloaded as an Android app, but the experience is not optimal. Is that the experience that Netflix wants it's customers to have?
    3. They have already developed a Windows Phone app, which is relatively in the same market position as BlackBerry.
    4. BlackBerry has already stated that it willing to give whatever resources that Netflix needs to develop the app, why are they not taking advantage of this opportunity?
    05-21-13 05:26 AM
    Or better yet, have the CB management form a syndicate of Netflix shareholders on CB. Have all of us buy 10 or more shares and vote as a group to remove current leadership. I don't want to buy NFLX because I think it is a badly run company. But, if we could replace the management, then I might be more interested.
    05-21-13 05:33 AM
    Netflix is not interested, so what options does BBRY have, but to pay them to get their application on BB10? It's looking more and more that BBRY will probably have to foot the bill in order to get Netflix and other missing big named apps on board. Hopefully they will make it happen.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    05-21-13 05:35 AM
    It looks like Netflix has no intentions of building an app for BB 10 anytime soon. However, there may be a way to get the executive's attention on why they should. June 7th is Netflix's annual general meeting. Anyone who is a shareholder and can attend the meeting in California and take advantage of the Q&A and provide compelling reasons and ask why they don't. I think the following points would make strong arguments:

1. There are 78 million BlackBerry users on the legacy OS and will be upgrading to BB10 over the next couple of years. Unfortunately this statistic is worldwide and does not reflect the actual countries that Netflix offers its service to.
    2. Currently Netflix can be sideloaded as an Android app, but the experience is not optimal. Is that the experience that Netflix wants it's customers to have?
    3. They have already developed a Windows Phone app, which is relatively in the same market position as BlackBerry.
    4. BlackBerry has already stated that it willing to give whatever resources that Netflix needs to develop the app, why are they not taking advantage of this opportunity?
    1. You don't know if those 78 million plan to upgrade to bb10.

2.netflix is not responsible for a crappy experience. No one forced you to side load.

3. Microsoft might have paid for an app.

4. Who knows? Netflix is not obligated to support bb. Maybe they don't want to be associated with the blackberry brand right now. If blackberry takes off I'm sure that would change things.

Don't kill my vibe using Tapatalk
    richardat and schmeat like this.
    05-21-13 06:17 AM

2.netflix is not responsible for a crappy experience. No one forced you to side load.

4. Who knows? Netflix is not obligated to support bb. Maybe they don't want to be associated with the blackberry brand right now. If blackberry takes off I'm sure that would change things.

1. I agree, we do not know how many, but if half were to upgrade, the number will still be significant.

2. Netflix is responsible for providing their customers with a great experience. What choice do BB10 owners have if they want Netflix on their device but to side load it.

3. And they might not have paid. Also Netflix's business is selling subscriptions, and not generating money to support mobile platforms.

4. Netflix is not obligated to support BB, but a shareholder would want the service to be available to as many platforms as it is economically feasible. BlackBerry is willing to provide whatever resources to make it happen. Regarding not wanting to be associated with the BlackBerry brand, I doubt that, otherwise you would not have companies like Cisco, SAP and Electronic Arts developing for BB10.
    05-21-13 06:59 AM
    I'm going to vote with my wallet and cancel my Netflix subscription....
    s0be likes this.
    05-21-13 07:04 AM
    I

Marty is right, your "arguments" are extremely weak/nonexistent. Let me respond to them as a Netflix executive might (or rather...might WANT TO ;-) :

1.Correct, 78 million is worldwide, and we have no idea if the all will be upgrading in the next couple years as you claim. Thus, your argument ACTUALLY IS: in the next couple years, LOTS of people will be on BB10. Great! Come see us in a couple years, or when a large number have done that, and we can evaluate the situation again.

2.A user can do such a thing, we aren't, and can't be responsible for all a user does. A user can run netflix through all kinds of virtual machines on all kinds of things, but that doesn't mean we must build and support software for anyone who chooses to do unauthorized things on unauthorized platforms. We certainly won't lose money or resources doing that -rather absurd isn't it? Nor does it tarnish our product at all, the fact that people are willing to do that shows how much they appreciate our product, and what lengths they will go to try and use it, it's unfortunate that they have chosen a platform which cannot deliver the experience properly. I very much doubt any of the ones doing that will think the problems come from our product, I think they will be very much aware it comes from their unauthorized sideloading. If I think that it begins to tarnish our product, certainly, I can look into making sure that this side loading can no longer occur. Thank you for your concern!

3.We decided for various reasons to support the winphone platform....that is hardly news to me. SO, your argument is, we supported winphone and therefore should change our mind on supporting BB.....um no. Did you think we were going to say "hey??? yeah...that's right...we did support winphone....maybe we should support BB....never thought of that!!! You know how it is....we're like retail clerks at a convenience store...a customer comes in, you have to make a snap judgment...then another comes in and you're like: OK. We never really thought about it in comparison, or looked at the metrics, or evaluated the market....THANK YOU...like MS you say....Hmmmmm.....it's the same thing isn't it....I mean really....I'm going to have to ask John about that! "

4.Why are we not? We don't think it's in our best interest right now. Is that an argument?

Sorry to be so blunt Mister E, look I said months ago that I'd have taken every single cent out of marketing to give Netflix and others, direct cash payments, with the understanding that they'd use them to hire a team completely of their choosing, completely under their direction, to write and support BB10 for 2 years. I'd have let (the app developers) keep every cent of their earnings, and if necessary....I'd go even farther than that. Yes, I would have burned a huge chunk of BB's cash, diverted all marketing money to it, diverted all app-money to it, to insure the top 30 apps were there. That alone would have had far far greater benefit than anything boulben has done, anything alex has done. I would have done anything to have z10 reviewers say: the app catalog is small and cannot compare to ios/android numbers, but BB has promised and delivered all the most popular apps - so your favorites will be there.

The "hey you can call us anytime, we'll even send people over to help" is a fine start, it wasn't enough. It would be the FIRST thing I'd offer and I'd have gone from there, frankly, the only thing I would have stopped at is if the cash asked for was so large it would bankrupt us immediately. Beyond that, skies the limit - and no non-cash rider would be off the table. BB10 was supposed to be the future of this company - and an OS and a computer without the right apps is a doorstop.

In any case, that didn't happen, netflix didnt' happen, and your arguments aren't anything netflix isn't obviously aware of. The only thing extremely compelling to uncommited companies now, will be sales figures. That simple. A few simple numbers. If BB has the right ones, they're golden. If they don't, they're screwed.
    05-21-13 07:33 AM
    I'm going to vote with my wallet and cancel my Netflix subscription....
    I already did that and am finding the offerings in BlackBerry World quite nice.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 08:15 AM
    Or better yet, have the CB management form a syndicate of Netflix shareholders on CB. Have all of us buy 10 or more shares and vote as a group to remove current leadership. I don't want to buy NFLX because I think it is a badly run company. But, if we could replace the management, then I might be more interested.
    This is a joke, right?
    05-21-13 08:20 AM
    Marty is right, your "arguments" are extremely weak/nonexistent. Let me respond to them as a Netflix executive might (or rather...might WANT TO ;-) :

1.Correct, 78 million is worldwide, and we have no idea if the all will be upgrading in the next couple years as you claim. Thus, your argument ACTUALLY IS: in the next couple years, LOTS of people will be on BB10. Great! Come see us in a couple years, or when a large number have done that, and we can evaluate the situation again.

2.A user can do such a thing, we aren't, and can't be responsible for all a user does. A user can run netflix through all kinds of virtual machines on all kinds of things, but that doesn't mean we must build and support software for anyone who chooses to do unauthorized things on unauthorized platforms. We certainly won't lose money or resources doing that -rather absurd isn't it? Nor does it tarnish our product at all, the fact that people are willing to do that shows how much they appreciate our product, and what lengths they will go to try and use it, it's unfortunate that they have chosen a platform which cannot deliver the experience properly. I very much doubt any of the ones doing that will think the problems come from our product, I think they will be very much aware it comes from their unauthorized sideloading. If I think that it begins to tarnish our product, certainly, I can look into making sure that this side loading can no longer occur. Thank you for your concern!

3.We decided for various reasons to support the winphone platform....that is hardly news to me. SO, your argument is, we supported winphone and therefore should change our mind on supporting BB.....um no. Did you think we were going to say "hey??? yeah...that's right...we did support winphone....maybe we should support BB....never thought of that!!! You know how it is....we're like retail clerks at a convenience store...a customer comes in, you have to make a snap judgment...then another comes in and you're like: OK. We never really thought about it in comparison, or looked at the metrics, or evaluated the market....THANK YOU...like MS you say....Hmmmmm.....it's the same thing isn't it....I mean really....I'm going to have to ask John about that! "

4.Why are we not? We don't think it's in our best interest right now. Is that an argument?

Sorry to be so blunt Mister E, look I said months ago that I'd have taken every single cent out of marketing to give Netflix and others, direct cash payments, with the understanding that they'd use them to hire a team completely of their choosing, completely under their direction, to write and support BB10 for 2 years. I'd have let (the app developers) keep every cent of their earnings, and if necessary....I'd go even farther than that. Yes, I would have burned a huge chunk of BB's cash, diverted all marketing money to it, diverted all app-money to it, to insure the top 30 apps were there. That alone would have had far far greater benefit than anything boulben has done, anything alex has done. I would have done anything to have z10 reviewers say: the app catalog is small and cannot compare to ios/android numbers, but BB has promised and delivered all the most popular apps - so your favorites will be there.

The "hey you can call us anytime, we'll even send people over to help" is a fine start, it wasn't enough. It would be the FIRST thing I'd offer and I'd have gone from there, frankly, the only thing I would have stopped at is if the cash asked for was so large it would bankrupt us immediately. Beyond that, skies the limit - and no non-cash rider would be off the table. BB10 was supposed to be the future of this company - and an OS and a computer without the right apps is a doorstop.

In any case, that didn't happen, netflix didnt' happen, and your arguments aren't anything netflix isn't obviously aware of. The only thing extremely compelling to uncommited companies now, will be sales figures. That simple. A few simple numbers. If BB has the right ones, they're golden. If they don't, they're screwed.
    I would expect that executives give whatever spin in their response. I do not expect them to say at an AGM, "what where we thinking, we should have an app for BB10", I would expect that the board would reexamine their decision as it was something brought up at the AGM.

1. Business needs to be proactive. Many companies have missed out on opportunities when they should have acted earlier.

2. "We certainly won't lose money or resources doing that -rather absurd isn't it?" - not if BlackBerry is willing to provide those resources.

"Nor does it tarnish our product at all, the fact that people are willing to do that shows how much they appreciate our product, and what lengths they will go to try and use it, it's unfortunate that they have chosen a platform which cannot deliver the experience properly." - That's an arrogant statement to make. This all comes back to giving the customer what they want.

3. The point being made with Winphone is that the decision not to support BB10 was because of numbers. If you go with that reasoning, they would not have developed the app for Winphone. So if they have relatively the same numbers, why not develop an app for BB10.

4. "We don't think it's in our best interest right now. Is that an argument?", only if they explain why it is not in their best interest.

Companies like Amazon, Google, and Apple are all very interested in the streaming market, and Netflix does not want to alienate existing and potentially future customers.
    05-21-13 08:34 AM

i think the other thread pretty clear on why Netflix is not making an app for BB. When z10 get ther volume of users then Netflix will come. No one cares about teh potential user. why should they make an app for them before they can show they got the user. they're not going to risk their own money.

also, i highly doubt BB are willing to "give whatever" resources Netflix needs. You telling me if Netflix ask for 10million BB will give it just to make an app? BB was very vague on that point.

From what i understand, WP actually paid to get the app made. I don't think Netflix is refusing money from BB, i just think BB is not paying it. So you can't say BB will give whatever resource they want to Netflix. BB is obviously not doing enough, or it would have been here, whatever the price is.
    05-21-13 09:15 AM
    btw, maybe BB should stop paying Alicia Key and pay some app developer the money instead. im pretty sure that would have been a better idea. anyone know what Alicia Key did for BB so far beside appear in couple of event talking about how much she love BB?
    05-21-13 09:38 AM
    The reason why Netflix is on Windows Phone is very simple. The WP7 OS that launched in 2010 had Microsoft's Silverlight as the primary coding language for app development. At the time Silverlight was also the DRM container Netflix used to protect and encrypt streams on desktop browsers, so it wasn't difficult for them to whip up an app for it.
    05-21-13 07:42 PM

1. Agreed
    2. Agreed
    3. Agreed
    4. Agreed

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 07:52 PM
    Install plex and watch whatever you want on playbook. Do you really need to watch old reruns on a z10 or q10?

If you're not happy with hastings remarks just call up Netflix, cancel the service and when asked why, you tell them why.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 09:32 PM
    btw, maybe BB should stop paying Alicia Key and pay some app developer the money instead. im pretty sure that would have been a better idea. anyone know what Alicia Key did for BB so far beside appear in couple of event talking about how much she love BB?
    She provided Apple with some free publicity by tweeting her love for BB10 from iOS devices.
    05-22-13 08:16 AM