Nicely done overall highlighting Google Now but none of the actors are seen typing on the keyboard? Just struck me right away. I've demo'd my Z10 to several friends and colleagues and they unanimously love the keyboard with predictions on the keyboard and swipe. To me that is a tacit acknowledgment by Samsung that they have no response as yet.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-12-13 07:43 AM
    On a side note is there a way to edit one's post using the Crackberry app?

02-12-13 07:45 AM
    Wasn't the ad by Google? The newest Nexus is by LG.
    02-12-13 07:51 AM
    its an ad by google for google now. And yes they are using the LG nexus 4. Not sure what your point is about not typing since that isnt really needed with google now.
    TgeekB likes this.
    02-12-13 07:57 AM
    Oh crap, yes, my bad. Head in the clouds. I'll edit the post when I'm at home. Can't figure out editing using the Crackberry app.

02-12-13 07:58 AM
    Well presumably people will still use it for typing. Just an observation that BlackBerry ads highlight the keyboard and the absence was noted in the Google ad. IE it's not a strength.

02-12-13 08:01 AM
    I'm pretty sure that BB highlights the keyboard because everybody loved their physical keyboards and they wanted to make sure to show people that the new keyboard was really good. I have a Nexus 4 and the stock Jellybean keyboard is good, Swype is better and the new Swiftkey Flow Beta is amazing, imo.
    02-12-13 08:06 AM
    Yeah, I have an Asus Transformer that is rooted with TeamEOS Jellybean. Google Now is neat, wasn't trying to knock it. I downloaded the trial of SwiftKey X and played a bit. Better than stock keyboard for sure. My point, which I have done a poor job of making, is that I noticed the lack of a keyboard input in the commercial. Most people, I think would still use the keyboard to put things like events in the calendar. and I just noticed that and wondered if anyone else had.

02-12-13 09:09 AM
    \. To me that is a tacit acknowledgment by Samsung that they have no response as yet.
    Well presumably people will still use it for typing. Just an observation that BlackBerry ads highlight the keyboard and the absence was noted in the Google ad. IE it's not a strength.
    So it is your contention that:
    -Samsung's keyboard isn't as good
    -Samsung also believes this
    -Samsung, would wanted to show typing, but believing it isn't as good, did not want to show typing lest it give the impression that it is as good

You certainly give Samsung much more of a personal conscience than I do! I think you're also assigning to much importance to "typing" and Samsung's desire to show it, in the context of this commercial!
    02-12-13 09:23 AM
    Yeah, I have an Asus Transformer that is rooted with TeamEOS Jellybean. Google Now is neat, wasn't trying to knock it. I downloaded the trial of SwiftKey X and played a bit. Better than stock keyboard for sure. My point, which I have done a poor job of making, is that I noticed the lack of a keyboard input in the commercial. Most people, I think would still use the keyboard to put things like events in the calendar. and I just noticed that and wondered if anyone else had.

Swiftkey X was the old version, and isn't as good as Swiftkey 3, which is everybit as good as BB10 in word prediction and "learning" (but doesnt offer more than 3 predictions). I think you're really trying to stretch something out of nothing here. The ad wasn't for a phone, it was for Google Now, a service. Why highlight something that doesn't matter at all to the service you're promoting?

And this begs the question, what's with everyone trying to "find" ways that the competition "might" be scared of BB? Blackberry has a LONG way to go before the big 2 are worried about them, but that doesn't mean they're not watching. Much like a race, you're always aware of who's in your rearview, but you're more concerned with where you're going and who's ahead.
    02-12-13 09:33 AM
    And this begs the question, what's with everyone trying to "find" ways that the competition "might" be scared of BB? Blackberry has a LONG way to go before the big 2 are worried about them, but that doesn't mean they're not watching. Much like a race, you're always aware of who's in your rearview, but you're more concerned with where you're going and who's ahead.
    It's...an indulgence...a sacrifice....willingness to appear irrational to get a boost of self-esteem, when one's self esteem is tied up in the future of a huge impersonal corporation! BB is winning! "we" are winning! The giants are shaking....they know the end is nigh....right there....around the corner and there is nothing they can do!!! (you can literally read such things on here). Even setting aside one's opinion of bb10, this of course is to ignore the reality of the current marketshare, and the fact that, if so motivated, Apple, Samsung, Google, MS...or any number of other companies could scoop RIM up right now, rename them "Azzburied" and finally sleep again at night.
    02-12-13 09:46 AM
    Did you see the Engadget review. They said what I have been thinking, not able to touch yet the new BB keyboard, and that is the current SwiftKey is very competitive with that keyboard. They even said they preferred the SwiftKey - yeah I know - how could anyone say that.

IMHO Google Now has no peer, and it's a "no-brainer" for Google to highlight it.
    02-12-13 10:00 AM
    So it is your contention that:
    -Samsung's keyboard isn't as good
    -Samsung also believes this
    -Samsung, would wanted to show typing, but believing it isn't as good, did not want to show typing lest it give the impression that it is as good

You certainly give Samsung much more of a personal conscience than I do! I think you're also assigning to much importance to "typing" and Samsung's desire to show it, in the context of this commercial!
    Thanks, everything but the last part about giving the impression that it is as good. SwiftKeyX (on which the new BB touch keyboard is based) is a third party paid app. So my point was that I'm going with the stock keyboard is not as good as the new BB Z10. Not that they won't improve it in the future, just not as 'good'. As two posters above have noted, I was incorrect in calling it a Samsung Ad, it was a Google ad highlighting Google Now using an LG Nexus 4. I guess old habits die hard, when I think of Android I think of Samsung by default.
    richardat likes this.
    02-12-13 11:04 AM
    Seems I'm batting 1000 for errors today. Home, just checked my tablet and it's the SwiftKey 3 Tablet Trial, not SwiftKeyX. Apologies.!

I'll have to find a friend or colleague who purchased it on their mobile. I'm sure the experience is different on an android phone vs tablet (mine has a 10.1" screen so it's big). It's nice, but I don't think I'm stretching at all, honestly. I'm sure the prediction and learning is every bit as good, since it's my understanding that BlackBerry licensed SwiftKey's software to build the new BlackBerry keyboard. It's the added suggestions, the swiping up that makes this the best touch keyboard I've used. But I'll definitely try and check out an actual cellphone version and use it for a more fair comparison.
    02-12-13 11:09 AM
    It's...an indulgence...a sacrifice....willingness to appear irrational to get a boost of self-esteem, when one's self esteem is tied up in the future of a huge impersonal corporation! BB is winning! "we" are winning! The giants are shaking....they know the end is nigh....right there....around the corner and there is nothing they can do!!! (you can literally read such things on here). Even setting aside one's opinion of bb10, this of course is to ignore the reality of the current marketshare, and the fact that, if so motivated, Apple, Samsung, Google, MS...or any number of other companies could scoop RIM up right now, rename them "Azzburied" and finally sleep again at night.
    I'm not concerned about BB "winning". I love the new phone, and what BlackBerry has accomplished. But in the past I owned an iPhone 3G, then got the Asus transformer to check out Android (which I think is a very nice OS, particularly Jelly Bean where it is finally matured imho), and then upgraded to an iPhone 4S as I wasn't sold on Android Honeycomb. I also picked up a playbook when they had the 'firesale' and loved the swiping, it just was an instant fit for me. Which drew me to following BB10 and updates and becoming increasingly intrigued with the phone. I now have had it for 7 days and love it. A few glitches, but it's a brand new OS, and like Apple, and Google, I have every confidence that BlackBerry now 'gets it' and will continue to refine it and make it even better.

Being #1 almost ruined RIM/BlackBerry. Being #1 led Apple into the "Apple Maps" fiasco in ios6. I didn't like that, and refused to upgrade to ios6 in support of Google at the time. The second the Google Maps app was available I downloaded it on ios 5.1.1. Now Google seems to be the new king (through Samsung, LG, etc.) and they're not willing to support BlackBerry at the moment. Well, I don't like this game of 'app politics' and am in the process of trying to De-Google myself as much as possible until they show support. Personally, I'd be happy if BlackBerry were successful enough to be profitable and continue on. It's good that they're not #1, imho, as it will keep them 'hungry' and innovating. Apple and Samsung can duke it out as far as I'm concerned.

The more the merrier. Keeps them all on their toes, and all of us, Android/Apple/BlackBerry/Windows phone users benefit as each company is forced to address an attractive feature on their competitor's phone. Google Now, as I've said, is very neat (or cool, whatever). I like it, and the point of this post wasn't to knock Google Now. It was just an observation that they didn't show the keyboard being used. And honestly, most people use the keyboard on their phones a heck of a lot more than 'speaking' to them.

Look at it another way. People will spend a ton of money on a new desktop computer and get all concerned about the 'Specs' (RAM, HD, etc) but seldom will spend any time examining reviews on the experience of using the keyboard, or even the mouse. And that's how most people interact with their systems. To me the priority is ease of use, speed, input (keyboard)... And the new BlackBerry is a win on all of these counts. For me anyway. IF other people have that same experience on Android, etc... then I'm happy for them!

Cheers
    Peej
    02-12-13 11:26 AM
    Swiftkey X was the old version, and isn't as good as Swiftkey 3, which is everybit as good as BB10 in word prediction and "learning" (but doesnt offer more than 3 predictions). I think you're really trying to stretch something out of nothing here. The ad wasn't for a phone, it was for Google Now, a service. Why highlight something that doesn't matter at all to the service you're promoting?

Also, I agree completely that Apple, Microsoft and Google (Samsung, LG, etc) are watching BlackBerry very closely. You never know who's coming up the pipeline, just look back at RIM/BlackBerry scoffing at the Apple iPhone just a few years back!
    02-12-13 11:31 AM