Say I want to have my profile set to silent but still have a text message for a certain person go off. That was easy on BBOS. Now I've tried several programs and it's a complicated convoluted mess.

Why can't they copy the OS 7.1 profile editing exactly as it was? Provisions for holsters. Provisions for having bbm or sms work in bedside mode if you so choose?

Why can't they hard wire blacklisting phone numbers into the OS?

Why couldn't they have kept the programmers that made 7.1 so great as far as settings and customization and brought it over to BB10?

7.1 I had a nice simple app from S4BB that turned on and off wifi based on cell towers.

The desktop manager worked for backups unlike link.

There were themes.

The phones didnt call everyone and their brother by mistake. They took pictures when you wanted them to.

All they had to do was copy 7.1 and then add to it.

Yes I know the OS was slow and outdated. I know the potential of BB10. But why couldn't they have just made it simple?

Does no one but me miss what made BlackBerry so great? Why can't they fix it now? I hate these apps. Everyone says they don't need apps. Great! Build it into the OS. Let me customize my phone.

I can't decide between power tools and hub++. Neither one of them is OS7.1 that's for sure.

I want to hear from someone who feels like I do. I'm well aware most everyone here thinks BlackBerry is perfect.

Oh. The 7.1 contact app was way better too.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.1052 /T-Mobile USA
    08-28-14 08:11 AM
    The "transition" was handled badly.... from a platform standpoint and from a UI standpoint. They did create a great OS that has gotten even better, but I agree they had already learned a few lessons with BBOS... why not bring more of those great features to BB10.

While the Classic is suppose to add a few buttons to make the transition easier... we will just have to hope that 10.3.1 also has more of the "classic" UI/OS features.

I like Power Tool for is Geo-fencing capabilities... not sure if HUB++ has added these yet or not. Also Power Tools will allow me to vibrate my phone when I make a call, which helps me catch most of my "pocket calls".
    08-28-14 08:27 AM
    Now I use both .I mean BB OS 7and BB10.
    08-28-14 08:28 AM
    The "transition" was handled badly.... from a platform standpoint and from a UI standpoint. They did create a great OS that has gotten even better, but I agree they had already learned a few lessons with BBOS... why not bring more of those great features to BB10.

While the Classic is suppose to add a few buttons to make the transition easier... we will just have to hope that 10.3.1 also has more of the "classic" UI/OS features.

I like Power Tool for is Geo-fencing capabilities... not sure if HUB++ has added these yet or not. Also Power Tools will allow me to vibrate my phone when I make a call, which helps me catch most of my "pocket calls".
    The geofencing reminds me to turn off the wifi or whatever. But I loved how on BBOS it actually turned it on and off

I really know bb10 is good. I wish they had just baselines it with doing everything bbos did. Then improve.

Maybe I'm a few updates they'll add more.

08-28-14 05:59 PM
    BlackBerry 10 is still developing and maturing, OP all the missed functionality that was on BBOS will soon be on BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    Heinz Katchup likes this.
    08-28-14 06:16 PM
    I hear your sentiments loud and clear. BBOS had many a great features. Features that now have to be reimplemented and thus rewritten I guess. I'm going to trust that they will eventually be coming back, and will assume that it takes time to reimplement these. Well, I hope.
    Doggerz and acovey like this.
    08-28-14 06:39 PM
    Software takes time and money. You need time to get it right and you need money to hire more developers and improve development teams. They should have retained some BBOS knowledge but it takes time to integrate everything smoothly. A point that I had made a long time ago when BB10 first released was that a great many bits and pieces were not added in, imo, to give incentive to outside developers to bridge those gaps. That gives app developers another reason to stay and BB10 developers more time on other endeavours. BBOS had to do a lot of things before apps became a thing and, yes, it took more time and more money than we have currently seen with BB10 to bring users those options. BB10 is going to take some time to get back legacy functions, not just because it takes time, but also because there are new things out there all the time. BlackBerry has to catch up to competitors as well while also catching up to the legacy BBOS. They are technology company after all and they can't afford to fall behind. I think it's a game of balance and BlackBerry has made too many mistakes already, but software wise they have done well so far all things considered.

Posted via CB10
    gokulesh and Thunderbuck like this.
    08-28-14 06:59 PM
    BlackBerry 10 is still developing and maturing, OP all the missed functionality that was on BBOS will soon be on BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    "Soon." BlackBerry"s favorite battlecry. ;-)

Posted from a D618
    Doggerz, flyingsolid and ghundiraj like this.
    08-28-14 09:24 PM

Posted from a D618
    They have actually done pretty well over the last year and a half with respect to this, with 10.3 I only expect the experience to get a whole lot better. That is just on the horizon. (10.3.1)

Posted via CB10
    08-28-14 09:51 PM

Posted from a D618
    Lol I concur. I'm as big a fan as the rest of em. But the "just wait" mantra is brutal.

10.3 brings endless folders and the ability to have a blank home screen! I can't wait!!!! :s

I agree with the OP on this one.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-14 10:12 PM
    And what about pasting into the dialer and being able to edit a number.

What about dialing for example 1800 GO FEDEX with the ALT key pressed it actually dialed the number. Should have been on Q10 from start. The list goes on....

Posted via CB10
    08-28-14 10:22 PM
    RE the thread title: Ive been wondering the same thing for the past year and a half..

Posted via CB10
    flyingsolid and Doggerz like this.
    08-28-14 11:28 PM
    This thread needs Belfast. He is missed.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    Rello and TgeekB like this.
    08-28-14 11:32 PM
    And what about pasting into the dialer and being able to edit a number.
    Um... this?

Anyone left working at BlackBerry who remembers how great BBOS was?-img_20140829_003634.png

Posted via CB10
    08-28-14 11:37 PM
    I'm really happy with the participation in this thread. I thought I'd get called a troll.

I'm may be wrong but it feels like they fired the 7.1 team. And brought in people who has never used a BlackBerry.

The profiles were so great. I loved having the phone silent except allowing a bbm from my son to override the main profile. I know you can do that with apps here but man they get so convoluted and confusing.

The blacklisting could have been so easily part of the OS.

I just really miss it. But I know it's outdated and I'd miss what I have now. I just wish the things that made BlackBerry so popular a decade ago would have been kept.

On glad I'm not alone in this. Thanks guys!

I know I'm missing a ton of features in can't remember now. I should play with my old 9810 to try to remember.

grover5 and acovey like this.
    08-29-14 12:06 AM
    Just wondering what I am going to give up. I have a Z30 on the way to replace my Torch. I don't think I will be happy with it..... Gotta try it though.
    08-29-14 12:13 AM
    I'll remind everyone--again--that BBOS7 was actually intended to run on QNX devices, and that the original plan was:

1) Playbook released with BBOS runtime for e-mail/PIM functionality (spring 2011)
    2) "Colt" handset released with BBOS runtime for e-mail/PIM/Phone functionality (fall 2011)
    3) New UI written for QNX over the following several months

Yes, BBOS 7 functionality WAS intended for BB10, because the phone was intended to actually RUN BBOS 7 until the full UI was completed. They had trouble getting it to work, though (hence Jim Balsillie's claim that the PlayBook would have e-mail "within 60 days"--that's what they were waiting for), and finally had to abandon the project by summer.
    08-29-14 12:14 AM
    Just wondering what I am going to give up. I have a Z30 on the way to replace my Torch. I don't think I will be happy with it..... Gotta try it though.
    The likelihood is that you'll like it. The Z30 is lighter, larger screen, WAAAAY better performance. And, frankly, a better keyboard (I found the Torch's too cramped).

There are only a couple of gaps left, really, especially if you go for a 3rd party notifications manager like Hub++ or Power Tools. The only thing I really, really miss from BBOS is that Bedside Mode isn't as seamless.
    dazzleaj likes this.
    08-29-14 12:16 AM
    BB10 was built from the ground as a new OS.It was consciously decided not to graft a new OS on BBOS.A new team worked to develop BB 10 and many useful features of BBOS were left out.
    08-29-14 03:34 AM
    I heard they actually isolated the BlackBerry 10 team from the rest of the guys, which means the new OS barely remembered its predecessor

I miss the ability to create custom profiles and themes.

But I have to say, despite its lack of features compared to BlackBerry OS, BlackBerry 10 is down the right path. BlackBerry OS was overstretched and they really need to update themselves with better capabilities (remember when you need to restart device to update apps?)

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    08-29-14 04:20 AM
    I heard they actually isolated the BlackBerry 10 team from the rest of the guys, which means the new OS barely remembered its predecessor

I miss the ability to create custom profiles and themes.

I reckon it was worse than "isolated".

There were a series of posts from someone inside BB during the BB10 development, and the way he told it was as an (entirely believable) story of arrogant BB10 developers "building the future!!!" who had zero contact with the BBOS guys because they regarded the BBOS guys as yesterday's men with nothing to contribute.

He believed that arrogance was the real reason so few "traditional" BB features made it to BB10, or were implemented differently (which undoubtedly alienated BBOS users)
    Bbnivende likes this.
    08-29-14 04:54 AM
    If they wanted to make it so different, it made sense to not have them mingle or have conversations by the water cooler. Eventually somebody was gonna influence somebody and it would have interfered with the plans.

Not that I think it wasn't cruel or I condone the whole thing or the whole men from the past mindset. A Lot of BBOS features could have been added but I was relieved to see a lot of flaws left in the past like all the stalling and the the little clock. Ugh

Posted via CB10
    08-29-14 10:16 AM
    I'm sure it could have been done better, but we should remember that many of those features were gradually added to BBOS itself. They are a lot of moving parts to jam into a completely new OS. But it's certainly true that BBOS was, and is, an amazingly mature and powerful OS. Personally, I loved being able to use apps like QuickLaunch to assign most things to speed keys. It was like magic how quickly I could switch from one thing to another, barely having to look at the phone.
    Doggerz likes this.
    08-29-14 11:48 AM
    I'll remind everyone--again--that BBOS7 was actually intended to run on QNX devices, and that the original plan was:

1) Playbook released with BBOS runtime for e-mail/PIM functionality (spring 2011)
    2) "Colt" handset released with BBOS runtime for e-mail/PIM/Phone functionality (fall 2011)
    3) New UI written for QNX over the following several months

Yes, BBOS 7 functionality WAS intended for BB10, because the phone was intended to actually RUN BBOS 7 until the full UI was completed. They had trouble getting it to work, though (hence Jim Balsillie's claim that the PlayBook would have e-mail "within 60 days"--that's what they were waiting for), and finally had to abandon the project by summer.
    I had never heard this. That would have been amazing. I would have loved a QNX 7.1 Torch 9810.

acovey likes this.
    08-29-14 11:33 PM
    Many times the past seems better than the present. Its a way of coping with CHANGE which is hard.
    loganweaponx007 likes this.
    08-29-14 11:41 PM
47 12