I've pretty much been turned off the os7 devices because it appears to be a dead end os. I will be buying a new phone in june/July and I really wanted a BlackBerry. But I refuse to pour money into an os that wont be upgraded.

Is there any evidence to suggest that these os7 phones will receive any significant upgrades? Bb10 lite perhaps?
    04-12-12 08:39 PM
    Nope. IIRC, they have outright said no in the past because BB 10 needs dual-core.
    04-12-12 08:57 PM
    All the Rumors are pipe dreams,

RIM offering BB10 upgrades on OS7 devices would damage the BB10 image and adoption rate, as the promise of PlayBook apps easily porting over to BB10 means the first BB10 device needs to have a screen resolution of the same aspect ratio of the PlayBook, and at least the same size or better.

All of the OS7 devices fail in this respect, IF RIM were to offer a bone to the OS7 people who can't afford to upgrade to BB10, it would not be for at least a year after BB10 has had a change to capture those who would make the upgrade, and to develop stronger app relationships
    04-12-12 09:39 PM
    I suspected as much. It makes sense.

Pity though.
    04-12-12 09:49 PM
    All of the OS7 devices fail in this respect, IF RIM were to offer a bone to the OS7 people who can't afford to upgrade to BB10, it would not be for at least a year after BB10 has had a change to capture those who would make the upgrade, and to develop stronger app relationships
    But wouldn't they want to get the devices into as many hands as possible?
    04-12-12 11:34 PM
    i don't know if it's poor planning or bad strategy, but they should have made just 1 or 2 os 7 models which are capable of the upgrade.

most of you on here are probably willing to justify buying an os7 phone but the unbiased market at large isn't. a phone is a 2/3 year commitment and knowing that your purchase will not receive the big update in 6 months is a strong enough reason to deter purchase of the phone.

there was an article written by bgr(or was it engadget) which was titled why you should not get a bb os7 phone or something like that and if you read it from an unbiased view, the points actually make complete sense.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-13-12 01:47 AM
    That's my thought process too.

I was all set to get either a 9810 or a 9900, but the more I researched them I realized that os7 is essentially the end of the line. Now, I'm not a spec junky at all, but I also know that the phone I'm buying will need to last me for two years, and I don't want to regret my purchase.

It frustrates me because I really like BlackBerrys. But not enough to buy into a deadend os.

They kind of messed up this transition. I agree they really should have made 1 of their os7 devices with a view to putting bb10 on it. A platform agnostic user who likes BlackBerry would be drawn to that. I would buy it in a flash.

Now, reluctantly, I'm looking very closely at other platforms.
    04-13-12 02:37 AM
    I don't blame you for feeling this way. I bought my bold touch back in sept and if I knew I couldn't upgrade to BB10 I would not have bought it either. RIM is doing bad business and then they wonder why they are not selling OS7 devices
    04-13-12 05:40 AM
    it has nothing about porting BB10 to OS7 devices, my 9900 Chip is having whats heavier then OS7 3x times, iPhones still get updated every new update comes easily without any pain, Windows 7 phones as well, Androids with ICS update taking over the old dusty devices

all i know its possible ... for 9900 at least :P

04-13-12 08:10 AM
    it has nothing about porting BB10 to OS7 devices, my 9900 Chip is having whats heavier then OS7 3x times, iPhones still get updated every new update comes easily without any pain, Windows 7 phones as well, Androids with ICS update taking over the old dusty devices

all i know its possible ... for 9900 at least :P

The PB needs 1 GB of ram and the 9900 has only 768MB. Plus Mike L says it needs dual core which the PB has but the Bold doesn't...doesn't seem likely at all. Yes they suck...but selling hardware is what they do...
    04-13-12 08:20 AM
    That's my thought process too.

I was all set to get either a 9810 or a 9900, but the more I researched them I realized that os7 is essentially the end of the line. Now, I'm not a spec junky at all, but I also know that the phone I'm buying will need to last me for two years, and I don't want to regret my purchase.

It frustrates me because I really like BlackBerrys. But not enough to buy into a deadend os.

They kind of messed up this transition. I agree they really should have made 1 of their os7 devices with a view to putting bb10 on it. A platform agnostic user who likes BlackBerry would be drawn to that. I would buy it in a flash.

Now, reluctantly, I'm looking very closely at other platforms.
    They are not the end of the, they will continue on in parallel, BB10 as high end, BBos as low end.
    04-13-12 09:07 AM
    Even if that's correct, I don't want a low end device for the next 2 years. I've had my curve 9300 (which I love) for a long time and I want a new device that is actually new.
    04-13-12 03:15 PM
    It's not like if it works for you now it's not going to work for you in a year or two. I'm fine with my OS 7 phone esp. since I have my pb to get bb10. That also gives time to see where things are going and getting more bugs out.
    04-13-12 03:30 PM
    Even if that's correct, I don't want a low end device for the next 2 years. I've had my curve 9300 (which I love) for a long time and I want a new device that is actually new.
    See the thread I started in the 9900 section, the 9900 is just as fast and in some cases faster then 4s and high end Androids, is that not good enough?
    04-13-12 03:34 PM
    Since we're so close anyway, why not just wait 5-6 months?
    04-13-12 03:51 PM
    I Think about it as if it is Winmo 6.5 to Windows Phone 7. BB10 will be something to behold. My hope is also that they license it out to third parties. Let people go crazy with it.

04-13-12 04:09 PM
    I don't blame you for feeling this way. I bought my bold touch back in sept and if I knew I couldn't upgrade to BB10 I would not have bought it either. RIM is doing bad business and then they wonder why they are not selling OS7 devices

I bought my 9790 knowing full well I wouldn't be able to upgrade to OS10 when the new phones came out. RIM made this quite clear before they released OS7 devices. but not everybody reads press releases and keeps up with smart phone makers before buying a device so i can see how you feel like that.
    I also bout my 9790 knowing i wouldnt get an OS10 device because the first one to be released will be all touch and I love my keyboard. So to me I also figured that releasing an all touch device 1st and no word of when a kb version would arrive also told me that RIM probably wouldnt make 10 available for older devices.
    Also, RIM wants to get away from their old way of supporting multiple devices with multiple screen resolutions that make it harder for developers. taking all this into account anyone following rim would understand why its not backwards compatible. it happens when big companies make big changes similar though not exactly like when apple switched from ppc to intel. there were some growing pains there. The problem with rim is that they're going through this process while they are having a number of other issues so it magnafies the situation.

My hope is that rim can make it through this year and transition to bbos 10 and survive in the market and not lose too many customers.
    I'll be happy with my OS7 device until i get bored a year or so from now and when rim releases a keyboard os10 device.
    I knew full well when buying my 9790 what i was getting into.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    Mystic205 likes this.
    04-13-12 04:25 PM
    a) BB10 will have issues, like everything, so i see 1H13 before stable healthy os and a choice of phones..
    b) lte is hype smoke and mirrors,apart from small number of select markets but by end 2013 there may be a footprint sufficient to be useful ..
    c) conclusion?
    buying a 9930 made perfect sense..what was i gonna do?..limp with the 9650?..
    and like anyone else who bothered to check, i KNEW it would not get BB10
    04-13-12 05:42 PM
    recently there seem to be an increasing amount of threads asking whether BBOS 7 devices will be upgradeable to BB10. But IMO, if you already have a BBOS 7 phone, don't worry too much and just enjoy what you have now. When your contract is up or its time to upgrade, then get a BB10. I mean 1 -2 years isn't that long a time. Tech is always improving, theres always something newer just round the corner. BBOS 7 is already pretty fantastic. Think of it as the best version of BBOS.

I bought my 9900 in November, knowing full well at that point of time, BB10 phones were scheduled for 2012 february, and 9900 will most likely not be able to upgrade to BB10. I have no regrets. Its a fantastic phone. I even bought my sister a 9810 when her contract was up in December. Fantastic phone as well.

perhaps, its really up to your needs. For me, BBOS 7 is plenty good enough for my needs.
    04-13-12 06:35 PM
    i have no issue staying with 7 , time goes by , there is always something bigger and better down the road. I look forward to whats coming next , but don't let it stop me from enjoying the present
    04-13-12 08:02 PM
    See the thread I started in the 9900 section, the 9900 is just as fast and in some cases faster then 4s and high end Androids, is that not good enough?
    Not if he wants something with strong third party support.

Sent from my IPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    04-13-12 08:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD